Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Its Week 6 and I'm stumped about one key element that seems to be missing

Indeee

Has nothing to do with instant gratification. Has to do with wasting draft picks. If every draft you draft a player in the 1st round that is going to take 3 years to hit the field, you better have a great team. Most of the players drafted in the 1st round and needs 2-3 years to start were over drafted (team reached down for them).

Look at it this way, we have a 3rd rounder and a 5th rounder starting while are 1st round rides the pine.

Your logic astounds me. You say it's not about instant gratification, but rather wasting a draft pick. Tell me, how is he wasted? By not starting? Therefore you want him to instantly play and get your immediate results and gratification. I think you fail to understand both mine and your own point.

Has nothing to do with instant gratification. Has to do with wasting draft picks. If every draft you draft a player in the 1st round that is going to take 3 years to hit the field, you better have a great team. Most of the players drafted in the 1st round and needs 2-3 years to start were over drafted (team reached down for them).

Look at it this way, we have a 3rd rounder and a 5th rounder starting while are 1st round rides the pine.

WRs take longer to develop than D line man do. The pro game is a bigger jump for them

...This is the game Dorsett was drafted for.

NE took T.Y. out of the games by doubling him.  We drafted Dorsett to be on the field if this happens again so we have 2 dynamic deep threats on the field same time.  I hope Dorsett, T.Y. and A.J see a lot of time together Sunday night.

Honestly, ! can see the reasoning for keeping Dorsett off the field so much to this point being 2 fold:

1: he's a rookie and been establishing himself with  the QB, offense and NFL speed.  To clean up things from a rookie standpoint and polish himself some more.

2:  Keeping Dorsett off the field so much up to this point has kept him off B.B.'s radar so much.  Hard to game plan for someone when there is not much tape to use.  Bring him in A LOT this coming game, T.Y. on one side, Dorsett on the other, and A.J./Montcrief in the slot, or use 4 WR sets alot also.  We have not done much 4WR sets lately, so now would be the time.  Make them spread thier defense out, then run it down their throats with Gore/Bradshaw over and over, and when they creep their safeties up, let the WR's go........

I like it!

Your logic astounds me. You say it's not about instant gratification, but rather wasting a draft pick. Tell me, how is he wasted? By not starting? Therefore you want him to instantly play and get your immediate results and gratification. I think you fail to understand both mine and your own point.

i understood exactly what you said.  You think we should waste a 1st round pick on a project player.  you are saying you are satified with where team is and can afford getting a project in the 1st round.  I don't want instant gratification, I want a 1st player to play like a 1st rounder, other wise draft him in the 2nd round.

WRs take longer to develop than D line man do. The pro game is a bigger jump for them

No its not.  Most WRs are able to run a complete route tree in college, just to get play names figured out.  It shouldn't take that long to develop as WRs are doing the same thing in the NFL as in college.

D-linemen are going up better O-lines than they faced in college.  They have to adjust to NFL speed.  Will take longer. 

No its not. Most WRs are able to run a complete route tree in college, just to get play names figured out. It shouldn't take that long to develop as WRs are doing the same thing in the NFL as in college.

D-linemen are going up better O-lines than they faced in college. They have to adjust to NFL speed. Will take longer.

Its not just the route tree, its hot routes and audibles and much more

No its not.  Most WRs are able to run a complete route tree in college, just to get play names figured out.  It shouldn't take that long to develop as WRs are doing the same thing in the NFL as in college.

D-linemen are going up better O-lines than they faced in college.  They have to adjust to NFL speed.  Will take longer. 

dont take my word for it

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000246769/article/toughest-transition-why-rookie-wide-receivers-struggle-in-nfl

Just read the article.  I understand what Coach Billick said, but it sounds too much like an excuse.  It looks like, in the last few drafts, that for every good receiver in the 1st round, there are 2-3 project receivers.

I like Coach Billick, but lately has been making excuse for poor play in the NFL.  JMO

Just read the article.  I understand what Coach Billick said, but it sounds too much like an excuse.  It looks like, in the last few drafts, that for every good receiver in the 1st round, there are 2-3 project receivers.

I like Coach Billick, but lately has been making excuse for poor play in the NFL.  JMO

Can we ask you why Andre Johnson is still transitioning in this offense even though he's been in the league for years and headed to the Hall of Fame?  If that be the case with him, then why is it that you expect a 1st year rookie to just come in and light the league on fire? The Colts offense especially since it is much more voluminous than other teams. Each receiver has to learn every single WR position on top of everything else you have to learn.  It was clear to most of us that the Colts had none to very little intentions of him starting over Moncrief, Andre, and T.Y.  The point in us drafting him had to do with having enough deep threats to loosen up some of the double teams and to also add a special talent for years to come.  

If you think we don't need him and it's just luxury then see what this offense looks like when Moncrief or T.Y. get hurt.  We'd have nothing but a bunch of tight ends running around and Andre. All of our speed would be gone. Who was it that told you that some one drafted late in the 1st round has to come in immediately and start or he's a bust?

Tell us what position you would have drafted and the likelihood they would be playing on a veteran level this year?  I haven't heard of too many rookie offensive lineman from this year that are dominating.  Also haven't heard many names from the guys who were drafted in the 1st round from the Defensive Lineman either.  At least Dorsett has a touchdown and you can see his talent when he does play.  It's not like we are sitting around wondering if he can play or not.

Just read the article. I understand what Coach Billick said, but it sounds too much like an excuse. It looks like, in the last few drafts, that for every good receiver in the 1st round, there are 2-3 project receivers.

I like Coach Billick, but lately has been making excuse for poor play in the NFL. JMO

You haven't been watching football for very long have you? Before Billick there was an understood fact that all receivers no matter the talent usually don't produce until your 3rd year. So if you take a receiver (regardless of round) you should understand that he will not be consistently productive until his 3rd year. Plenty of examples to support this, as most receivers even if they show flashes of production aren't consistent threats until the 3rd year.

You are trying to blanket that we only take projects in the draft when you have little to no proof to prove your point. Since our first rounders have been immediately put into active playing roles. Then you argued that Dorsett was a project because we aren't expecting much from a first round receiver when it's an understood NFL mantra that receivers don't produce until year 3. I think you need to check what exactly you are arguing and then sit back and relax.

Yes, this. Calling a player a wasted pick after five games is incredibly premature.

Can we ask you why Andre Johnson is still transitioning in this offense even though he's been in the league for years and headed to the Hall of Fame?  If that be the case with him, then why is it that you expect a 1st year rookie to just come in and light the league on fire? The Colts offense especially since it is much more voluminous than other teams. Each receiver has to learn every single WR position on top of everything else you have to learn.  It was clear to most of us that the Colts had none to very little intentions of him starting over Moncrief, Andre, and T.Y.  The point in us drafting him had to do with having enough deep threats to loosen up some of the double teams and to also add a special talent for years to come.  

If you think we don't need him and it's just luxury then see what this offense looks like when Moncrief or T.Y. get hurt.  We'd have nothing but a bunch of tight ends running around and Andre. All of our speed would be gone. Who was it that told you that some one drafted late in the 1st round has to come in immediately and start or he's a bust?

Tell us what position you would have drafted and the likelihood they would be playing on a veteran level this year?  I haven't heard of too many rookie offensive lineman from this year that are dominating.  Also haven't heard many names from the guys who were drafted in the 1st round from the Defensive Lineman either.  At least Dorsett has a touchdown and you can see his talent when he does play.  It's not like we are sitting around wondering if he can play or not.

Ask Luck why he wont throw to AJ.  Dorsett wasn't BPA per Grigson.  He was a luxury pick.  Dorsett hasn't really done any thing except for the TD.  

I would have drafted BPA, which would have been Defense.  If I wanted a WR, I would have taken Lockett at our pick in the 2nd round or with the trade, the top of the 3rd.

i understood exactly what you said. You think we should waste a 1st round pick on a project player. you are saying you are satified with where team is and can afford getting a project in the 1st round. I don't want instant gratification, I want a 1st player to play like a 1st rounder, other wise draft him in the 2nd round.

lmao. You obviously didn't. I was merely pointing out that in the past people didn't expect their 1st rounders to start, and didn't panic and flip out when they didn't. Nice try though. Smh

You haven't been watching football for very long have you? Before Billick there was an understood fact that all receivers no matter the talent usually don't produce until your 3rd year. So if you take a receiver (regardless of round) you should understand that he will not be consistently productive until his 3rd year. Plenty of examples to support this, as most receivers even if they show flashes of production aren't consistent threats until the 3rd year.

You are trying to blanket that we only take projects in the draft when you have little to no proof to prove your point. Since our first rounders have been immediately put into active playing roles. Then you argued that Dorsett was a project because we aren't expecting much from a first round receiver when it's an understood NFL mantra that receivers don't produce until year 3. I think you need to check what exactly you are arguing and then sit back and relax.

Sorry only here.  Other teams expect their 1st round WRs to start.  There is a thread and about being soft.  If you are drafting project players in the 1st, you will be waiting all the time for them to get ready.

They only player expected to start was Luck, in what since Peyton?  That means you better be looking at your scouts and their talent evaluation. 

lmao. You obviously didn't. I was merely pointing out that in the past people didn't expect their 1st rounders to start, and didn't panic and flip out when they didn't. Nice try though. Smh

Who give me names.  Since coming back to Indiana in 1998, this team seems to be the only one.  You have to start asking questions about scouting, coaching, or management.

I don't understand why every one is willing to give years to get ready to start and not expect a 1st rounder to start.  That was the expectations for Luck, Werner, and Richardson, so why not Dorsett?

...This is the game Dorsett was drafted for.

NE took T.Y. out of the games by doubling him. We drafted Dorsett to be on the field if this happens again so we have 2 dynamic deep threats on the field same time. I hope Dorsett, T.Y. and A.J see a lot of time together Sunday night.

Honestly, ! can see the reasoning for keeping Dorsett off the field so much to this point being 2 fold:

1: he's a rookie and been establishing himself with the QB, offense and NFL speed. To clean up things from a rookie standpoint and polish himself some more.

2: Keeping Dorsett off the field so much up to this point has kept him off B.B.'s radar so much. Hard to game plan for someone when there is not much tape to use. Bring him in A LOT this coming game, T.Y. on one side, Dorsett on the other, and A.J./Montcrief in the slot, or use 4 WR sets alot also. We have not done much 4WR sets lately, so now would be the time. Make them spread thier defense out, then run it down their throats with Gore/Bradshaw over and over, and when they creep their safeties up, let the WR's go........

Oh. My. Lord.

Who give me names. Since coming back to Indiana in 1998, this team seems to be the only one. You have to start asking questions about scouting, coaching, or management.

I don't understand why every one is willing to give years to get ready to start and not expect a 1st rounder to start. That was the expectations for Luck, Werner, and Richardson, so why not Dorsett?

Omg. You obviously do not understand what I'm trying to say and I give up.