Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Polian: Colts had a first round grade on Brady

21isSuperman

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000533581/article/bill-polian-colts-had-firstround-grade-on-tom-brady

...but Tom Brady would have been a guy, and we were very high on him. Our guys really loved him, but we weren't in the quarterback market, obviously. Those would be the guys I remember us giving solid, first-round, can-lead-you-to-a-championship grades

I think this is untrue.  If you have a first round grade on someone and he's still there in the 4th or 5th round, you're being stupid if you don't take him.  But if it is untrue, what's the point of saying it?  You might be trying to make it sound like you knew Brady would be great when no one else did, but you really just come across looking stupid for having a first round grade on him and passing on him so many times

Just a friendly reminder to keep this discussion on topic, folks.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000533581/article/bill-polian-colts-had-firstround-grade-on-tom-brady

I think this is untrue.  If you have a first round grade on someone and he's still there in the 4th or 5th round, you're being stupid if you don't take him.  But if it is untrue, what's the point of saying it?  You might be trying to make it sound like you knew Brady would be great when no one else did, but you really just come across looking stupid for having a first round grade on him and passing on him so many times

I agree I was thinking that when I read the thread title ... if you really had a first round grade on him how do you not grab him for a back up or trade bait in the mid-late rounds.

All easy to say now "I don't remember where we ultimately put him, but it was certainly a very high grade."

He added that however

Not only that but Belichick didn't have him on their board till the 6th round. Had Bledsoe not been injured who knows how this would have turned out. When Brady was drafted no one knew he was a great player including Belichick. Patriot fans give magical credit to Belichick when he didn't think that much of him when drafted or he would have drafted him higher. Polian has become exactly the person he disliked when he was a GM.

Not only that but Belichick didn't have him on their board till the 6th round. Had Bledsoe not been injured who knows how this would have turned out. When Brady was drafted no one knew he was a great player including Belichick. Patriot fans give magical credit to Belichick when he didn't think that much of him when drafted or he would have drafted him higher. Polian has become exactly the person he disliked when he was a GM.

We ought to point out that Tom Brady wasn't a very good pro prospect. If anyone hasn't watched the 30 For 30 about him -- The Brady 6 -- it really details all the reasons Brady didn't drafted until the 6th round. It also shows how sometimes the pre-draft evaluation process can be fatally flawed. Crazy to think that Jamarcus Russell can be a #1 pick, but Tom Brady doesn't go until #199.

On topic, no one had a first round grade on Tom Brady, and while Polian might have thought highly of him, he didn't have that great of a grade on him or he would have grabbed him sometime between the first and the sixth. Long story short, Polian is telling tales out of school.

I don't believe this to be quite honest. If we had a 1st round grade on him we would've taken him in the 3rd, 4th, or 5th round. I don't remember what round he was drafted in btw. But yeah, we would have definitely drafted him in the mid rounds. And I wish we had of LOL. Then we could have turned around and traded him for a 1st rounder LOL. Na. It probably wouldn't have worked out like that.

Later in the interview, Polian gives himself a little wiggle room...   when he says this....

"Brady was less of a slam-dunk, of course," Polian said. "Less of a known commodity than Peyton was.  But he had such a great last half of his last season (at Michigan), and fought Drew Henson for the starter's job, and he really came on.  I don't remember where we ultimately put him, but it was certainly a very high grade. We weren't in the quarterback business, and it wasn't going to be an issue for us, but it was a very high grade."

So, if someone else in the organization ever comes along to dispute that,  Polian has a few inches to wiggle.

But 21 is correct.    If there's a 1st round QB on your board....  at some point long before pick 199 where Brady went,  you take him!      You take him and groom him and trade him for a higher pick.     That's just common sense.

Honestly,  I'm not impressed with Polian on this one.    I wish he hadn't gone there.....

He has said multiple things like this ever since he joined ESPN.

1) Claimed that HE wanted to draft Jeff Saturday, but his scouts talked him out of it. Saturday even doubted this story.

2) Claimed that Jerry Hughes was the last player with a first round grade when they selected him.

3) Later claimed that he should have drafted Roger Saffold instead of Hughes, but was talked out of it.

4) Said that he wanted to draft Andy Dalton in the 1st round, but decided against it because he didn't know the severity of Peyton's injury.

I used to love Bill Polian but the more he talks he just seems like a pompous hypocrite to me.

He has said multiple things like this ever since he joined ESPN.

1) Claimed that HE wanted to draft Jeff Saturday, but his scouts talked him out of it. Saturday even doubted this story.

2) Claimed that Jerry Hughes was the last player with a first round grade when they selected him.

3) Later claimed that he should have drafted Roger Saffold instead of Hughes, but was talked out of it.

4) Said that he wanted to draft Andy Dalton in the 1st round, but decided against it because he didn't know the severity of Peyton's injury.

I used to love Bill Polian but the more he talks he just seems like a pompous hypocrite to me.

I wonder what the story on Donald Brown was. But I agree that this is another case of Polian trying to talk himself up after the fact.

Polian had a 1st round grade on RG3 too. 

Jimmy caught him going thru tons of tape on RG3 before the draft...he was seriously considering RG3 over Andrew...not what Big Jim wanted to see.

Imagine how huge of a mistake that would've been, taking RG3 over Luck. I remember when I used to Post over at ESPN while both were Rookies I couldn't get it through some peoples heads that RG3 wasn't going to be near as good as Andrew. Some were just convinced that RG3 would be better. I had some bigtime heated arguments on that topic with a few. RG3 is a bigtime bust. Poor ol Skip Bayless was wrong on that one. Irsay knew what direction he wanted to take and he knew it was time to rebuild. He wanted Luck and it was a crucial Draft decision that has paid off so far.

Did you watch the Brady 6? Belichick goes into great detail about drafting Brady and his progression on the team to starter. Long story short, Bill thought highly of Brady but the Pats were set at QB with Bledsoe in his prime and two quality back-ups. When the 6th round came he felt there was too much value there to pass so he drafted him. In 2000, Brady moved up the depth chart from the 4th QB to 2nd by the start of 2001. Bill said Brady outperformed Bledsoe in TC/preseason in 2001 but felt he could not make the switch right then. So, it was only a matter of time before Bill was going to bench Bledsoe for Brady even without the Lewis hit. Lewis just accelerated it.

What was the context for Polian saying this? Was he asked specifically about the 2000 draft or Brady?

I don't believe this to be quite honest. If we had a 1st round grade on him we would've taken him in the 3rd, 4th, or 5th round. I don't remember what round he was drafted in btw. But yeah, we would have definitely drafted him in the mid rounds. And I wish we had of LOL. Then we could have turned around and traded him for a 1st rounder LOL. Na. It probably wouldn't have worked out like that.

If Colts had drafted him and then sat him down behind Peyton for the next 4 years then the Colts likely would have had that dynasty that never quite happened.  03 and 04 are possibly rings with Horseshoes on them instead of flying Elvi. 

Bull. . . I don't care if you're in the QB market or not when a QB that you have a 1st round grade on drops down to like the 4th or 5th round you take him as a backup that you could potentially use as trade bait in the future. 

Let me guess Bill, next we're going to hear about how you totally had a 1st round grade on Romo??