Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts propose weird change to scoring system.

Dustin

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the problem the NFL sees with the extra point is that it exists, not that there isn't more of them.

The proposal takes on the flavor of a free-kick in soccer.

I don't think this is being driven by the NFL. I think some media have been pushing the idea, and now there's "pressure" to do something about it. 

At least this proposal, however radical, isn't trying to eliminate the XP from the game. You can still try the standard XP, you can fake and go for 2 from the same distance, etc. It's just a bonus for successfully going for 2. 

I don't think this is being driven by the NFL. I think some media have been pushing the idea, and now there's "pressure" to do something about it. 

At least this proposal, however radical, isn't trying to eliminate the XP from the game. You can still try the standard XP, you can fake and go for 2 from the same distance, etc. It's just a bonus for successfully going for 2. 

I look at the extra point being an ancillary play that's simply a reward for executing a successful strategy.  With this proposal, that ancillary play has the potential of becoming 3 points, which can really change the flow of the game.  Nah...I'd prefer to eliminate the PAT rather than embrace this proposal.

How it works is that if you attempts a two-point conversion and successfully make it, you get a chance for a bonus point via 50-yard field goal.  

The Colts proposed this?      Seriously?    And they weren't drunk? 

Someone has way, way, WAY too much time on their hands.

Simply ridiculous.

Do you have a link?

The Colts proposed this?      Seriously?    And they weren't drunk? 

Someone has way, way, WAY too much time on their hands.

Simply ridiculous.

Do you have a link?

A @Colts rule proposal at next week’s Annual Meetings: a bonus field goal for an additional point after a successful two-point attempt.

— Kevin Bowen (@KBowenColts)

March 18, 2015

I look at the extra point being an ancillary play that's simply a reward for executing a successful strategy.  With this proposal, that ancillary play has the potential of becoming 3 points, which can really change the flow of the game.  Nah...I'd prefer to eliminate the PAT rather than embrace this proposal.

Cut off your nose to spite your face... I don't get it.

I think the problem the NFL sees with the extra point is that it exists, not that there isn't more of them.

The proposal takes on the flavor of a free-kick in soccer.

The probelm the NFL sees is the astronomical 99.6% success rate on the PAT since 2004 and have decided it is essentially an inconsequential exercise.  I think what they will go to is automatic 7 points for the TD, and go right to the kickoff.  If the offense wants to go for an additional point, they can. Run a play (like before, nota  kick) from the 2.5 yard line and stick it in and get an extra point added.  If you fail on that attempt, you get a point taken away. So it is essential that same as the game is today, but no PAT conversion kick needed.

Of c ourse, peeps likel AV etc are against that.  But... the game moves on... and yet in strange ways, not so much.

instead of taking the PAT from in front of the posts, why not take it from a spot in line with where the touchdown was scored like they do in Rugby?

problem with that is it would be a punishment for scoring on a big play.  if anything you should get more points for scoring form 40+ yards out

The probelm the NFL sees is the astronomical 99.6% success rate on the PAT since 2004 and have decided it is essentially an inconsequential exercise.  I think what they will go to is automatic 7 points for the TD, and go right to the kickoff.  If the offense wants to go for an additional point, they can. Run a play (like before, nota  kick) from the 2.5 yard line and stick it in and get an extra point added.  If you fail on that attempt, you get a point taken away. So it is essential that same as the game is today, but no PAT conversion kick needed.

Of c ourse, peeps likel AV etc are against that.  But... the game moves on... and yet in strange ways, not so much.

I don't mind it. It's a victory lap after a TD. I don't see any reason why it should be touched.

But I like this radical proposal (that stands zero chance of being adopted) better than getting rid of the XP.

So now we can have:

Touchdown...Commercial...2 Point Conversion...Commercial...Extra Special Point...Commercial...Kick Off...Commercial

(Shoot me)

Don't forget in-between the touchdown and 2-pt conversion, having a coach's challenge on whether the touchdown was an incomplete pass. Thankfully, the play will stand, otherwise we'd miss out on the other commercials (unless you're Calvin Johnson or Dez Bryant).

Possibly the xtra point is an atomatic so looking to add something to it. I don't like but it could be a start of a dialog in the rules committee. Heck just give the team 3 and start at the 5 or 7 or give 1 and ball placed at 25. Maybe a dialog will open new ideas or we may be business as usual! No matter as I love the game and I love my BLUE!

Most FG kickers in the league can hit from 50 don't see how Pat gives us any advantage.

Sounds silly to me

nah we still use Vinny for our 50 yard FG's.  

because they have two kickers who can make them and they could get an extra point out of the deal.

Guys, the proposal is "from the 50" not a 50 yard kick. 

That's at minimum a 60 yard kick.

Still like the extra point, but if you want to make it interesting, give the option of placing the ball on 48 yard line then allow the kicker to kick for a two-point extra point (basicly a 55 yard attempt).  If the attempt is no good the team receiving the kickoff can have the option of the ball placed on the 48 yard line instead of having a kick return.