Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts propose weird change to scoring system.

Dustin

This is surprisingly a great idea i love it.. It would make the game so much more suspenseful wih the dynamic of potentially getting nothing vs 3 extra extra points. Changes so much, a little crazy, but its def a better idea than the last few proposals

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guarantee you this is how the league thinks...       They don't wont the game to move...  they want it to slow down.

But they won't tell us that....      $$$$  will be the end of the NFL.    I never thought it could EVER happen 10 years ago...  but...   I may be wrong.

So now we can have:

Touchdown...Commercial...2 Point Conversion...Commercial...Extra Special Point...Commercial...Kick Off...Commercial

(Shoot me)

The probelm the NFL sees is the astronomical 99.6% success rate on the PAT since 2004 and have decided it is essentially an inconsequential exercise.  I think what they will go to is automatic 7 points for the TD, and go right to the kickoff.  If the offense wants to go for an additional point, they can. Run a play (like before, nota  kick) from the 2.5 yard line and stick it in and get an extra point added.  If you fail on that attempt, you get a point taken away. So it is essential that same as the game is today, but no PAT conversion kick needed.

Of c ourse, peeps likel AV etc are against that.  But... the game moves on... and yet in strange ways, not so much.

How about shortening the game....and having the fans watch what really matters....and just have a TD be worth 7 points then give the other team the ball at the 20.

The Colts organization is apparently behind the times. The NFL wants to lesson a kickers role in the game, not increase it. Terrible idea, just childish and stupid. For them to even begin to suggest such a thing makes us look ridiculous. 

What a waste of an opportunity to engage the competition committee. Why not have a slam dunk contest to settle overtime? 

I find even the mention of such a thing to be profoundly worrisome, unless it was coming from a 14 year old kid that plays way too much Madden. 

just make it so that you can't kick a FG to get the extra point. Make the offense go out there and score that one damn point.

This would lessen the kickers role to a degree but then your extra point isn't such a given. Could change games maybe. But how do you go for 2 now? Interesting.

I see this idea has already been posted but interesting even still.

instead of taking the PAT from in front of the posts, why not take it from a spot in line with where the touchdown was scored like they do in Rugby?

I can just hear Bob Lamey calling it now..."The Colts have just scored on a sizzling 105 yard punt return by Whalen, and are lining up for the extra point.  They're spotting the ball five yards deep in the end zone, and they've sent McAfee out there to try to make the kick.  It looks like he's just asked a fan wearing a Patriots jersey in Row 9 to give up her seat for one play...and...and she just grabbed his face mask and gave him an ear hole slap!...Now a guy in a mustard-stained Siragusa jersey is b-slapping her with a big blue foam finger! Folks, we're gonna take a time out here for a word from one of our sponsors while the refs sort it all out..."

they could very be wrong but ESPN said a fifty yard field goal.

Hm.... I've read "From 50 yards out" and that interprets to me as if you are kicking from the 50 yard line.

A 60 yard extra point would definitely be interesting. Or even getting a touchdown and going for your "extra point" from the 50 for 3 points would be a cool twist. 

Guys, the proposal is "from the 50" not a 50 yard kick. 

That's at minimum a 60 yard kick.

Are you sure?  That would seem rather pointless as I don't think a FG from the 50 has ever been made before.  Not unless we are talking about an undefended kick from the 50 yard line.

I still am of the opinion, why fundamentally change the most popular sport in the country because people think extra points (which is a few plays per game) are boring?  

Boring extra points arn't costing football any fans.  

How does this embarrass you?

Probably in the same manner it embarrassed some fans when NE beat the hell out of us in the playoffs. 

Team pride. Dumb *** ideas like this coming from the team is a bit embarrassing. I mean to say.....this idea is so bad, so stupid, so juvenile and patently ridiculous, I still cannot believe this is something that actually came out of our organizations collective mouth. 

I cannot over-exaggerate how profoundly STUPID AS HELL that this idea is. It's so bad, I'm wearing a Tom Brady jersey and a Patriots thong right now so nobody thinks I support such foolishly mindless ideas. Yes, I cook pancakes while wearing a thong. Whateva....I do what I want. 

Probably in the same manner it embarrassed some fans when NE beat the hell out of us in the playoffs. 

Team pride. Dumb *** ideas like this coming from the team is a bit embarrassing. I mean to say.....this idea is so bad, so stupid, so juvenile and patently ridiculous, I still cannot believe this something that actually came out of our organizations collective mouth. 

I cannot over-exaggerate how profoundly STUPID AS HELL that this idea is. It's so bad, I'm wearing a Tom Brady jersey and a Patriots thong right now so nobody thinks I support such foolishly mindless ideas. Yes, I cook pancakes while wearing a thong. Whateva....I do what I want. 

Your last paragraph. Awesome. haha

Team pride. Dumb *** ideas like this coming from the team is a bit embarrassing. I mean to say.....this idea is so bad, so stupid, so juvenile and patently ridiculous, I still cannot believe this is something that actually came out of our organizations collective mouth.

"I cannot over-exaggerate how profoundly STUPID AS HE** that this idea is."

Gotcha! (you really are passionate about your opinions, ruksak

like that btw!) However, this is EXACTLY what some NFL fans said way back when at the initiation of the 2 point conversion. Change is not something a lot of people are fond about. It takes time to accept and create acceptability. I know, I grew up in the 1960s and '70s. It will be interesting if the NFL decides to entertain theses proposals.

Could make games more exciting.  But I'm sort of of the opinion. . . Why fundamentally mess around with the most popular sport in the country?  

Because extra point attempts are boring??  Seems like a shallow reason.

Yes!Because it IS indeed boring."Why fundamentally mess around" you asked?  I wouldn't even classify it as a fundamental part of the game.It is just a silly part of the sport they stole from rugby that does not even need to be part of the game.Get rid of it for good I say.

But here are some more ways to spice it up.

1,Give the defense an extra guy.2,or make every extra point 50 yards.Or 3,blindfold the kicker.Or the holder.Or maybe the ball snapper.Or all 3 of them.Put the goal post much closer together.And set them on fire.Or if you go for and make the extra point,then the opposing team gets to move the ball an extra 10 or 15 yards further up after the returner is downed.As a punishment for the other team going for such an easy extra point. etc etc.

The extra point is pretty much automatic.So whats the use.

Seems like a lot of what ifs. I'm fine with it the way it is...but if they want to spruce it up a bit...maybe just move the 2pt conversion back to the 5 or something...and make it worth 3 points. If they want a more exciting play after a touchdown or they want teams to go for the conversion more simply make it worth more. IMO thats the easiest most simple way to get teams to stop kicking extra points. Move it back to the 5 and kick for 1 or go for 3. The reason people don't go for 2 more often is because of risk reward...it just doesn't pay....well make it worth more points to go for it and be done with it. Teams will still kick but I think you will get teams who start going for 3 more often....because then you only have to succeed 33% of the time to not lose out.

Make it going for 3 vs 1....done...next rule!

Are you sure?  That would seem rather pointless as I don't think a FG from the 50 has ever been made before.  Not unless we are talking about an undefended kick from the 50 yard line.

I still am of the opinion, why fundamentally change the most popular sport in the country because people think extra points (which is a few plays per game) are boring?  

Well, a kick from the 50 yard line would be a 60 yard field goal, and there's four guys that made a 63 and one that's made a 64, so it's been done before.

Are you sure? That would seem rather pointless as I don't think a FG from the 50 has ever been made before. Not unless we are talking about an undefended kick from the 50 yard line.

It's been done. Tom Dempsey kicked one from the opposing 37 yard line. But back then the goal posts were on the goal line.

"I cannot over-exaggerate how profoundly STUPID AS HE** that this idea is."

Gotcha! (you really are passionate about your opinions, ruksak

like that btw!) However, this is EXACTLY what some NFL fans said way back when at the initiation of the 2 point conversion. Change is not something a lot of people are fond about. It takes time to accept and create acceptability. I know, I grew up in the 1960s and '70s. It will be interesting if the NFL decides to entertain theses proposals.

I had a great measure of trouble dealing with the introduction of the 2-point play. I still don't like it, but have learned to accept it. Further mention of expanding the amount of points a team can accrue on a single drive sickens me. 

And yes, I often say it like I see it, without mincing words. Rubs some people the wrong way, but that is never my intent. 

You clearly have not seen video of him kicking it through on a regular basis from 65 and 70 yards . :thmup:

I have seen the video I have even seen him do with my own eyes at Lucas Oil but Adam can hit a 50 yarders most kickers in the league can was my comment. Which I believe is accurate. That was before it was pointed out the kick would be from the 50 which would make it a 60 yarder if it is kicked  from the 50 67 if the ball is spotted at the 50 either way I still think it makes the PAT even more ridiculous.

lol colts would destroy opponents if this was approved

...... mm not necessarily, :colts: weren't exactly the best team in the red zone this past season let alone going for 2

Boom barely made that 4th down conversion in the CIN game (Think it was that game?)

Another simplistic idea would have the extra point kicked from a farther distance. If the success rate is 99.6% right now on EPs, lower the rate from whatever distance that could make it in essence a coin flip at 50%. That way, no major changes to the game the way it is played now except for making it harder to get that extra point.

thoughts ... ?

That's a weird proposal.  I'm not in favour of it.

I'm not in favor of it either. Why mess with a rule that isn't broken? Totally lame. Way to go all english on "favor" too using the our extension on the word there. You redcoat rebel you 21. Ha! Ha! 

haha Force of habit.  I'm Canadian.  Colour, flavour, neighbour....

That's cool. I've known a few Canadians in my time. They're all pretty laid back & down to earth. Just like you are man.

I always feel bad for Canadians in one regard though: They learn about US government & it's leaders & Americans typically know next to nothing about their closest bordering country except the Maple Leaf symbol & Natl. healthcare. That's just not right. We should know more about our closest neighbors I mean neighbours right? Just Kidding!

Seriously though, I tease & joke around a lot but I only do that with people I really like so you're a good guy in my estimation 21. :thmup:  

That's cool. I've known a few Canadians in my time. They're all pretty laid back & down to earth. Just like you are man.

I always feel bad for Canadians in one regard though: They learn about US government & it's leaders & Americans typically know next to nothing about their closest bordering country except the Maple Leaf symbol & Natl. healthcare. That's just not right. We should know more about our closest neighbors I mean neighbours right? Just Kidding!

Seriously though, I tease & joke around a lot but I only do that with people I really like so you're a good guy in my estimation 21. :thmup:  

That feeling is reciprocated, brother!