Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The potential of our offense

COLTS449

The more I think about it, the more I think we could easily have the best offense in the league next season. Andrew Luck in his 3rd season will be a more experienced, more polished QB with more weapons. If Nicks returns to his former self, he, Wayne, and Hilton will be unbelievable. Then we have Rogers and Moncrief as backups. Both those guys could be elite receivers in a year or two. They both have unbelievable potential. We have Allen and Fleener at TE. We know what both can do. Our offensive line should be much improved allowing Luck more time in the pocket and they should block better in the run game. If T-Rich can break out (I believe he will), He could be a really solid back. Ballard should come back healthy, but Bradshaw is the wildcard. The potential of this offense is unreal guys. There are a lot of "if's" though. It also wouldn't surprise me if Luck led the league in passing yards. There is reason to be very excited about this team for a long time.

I see no reason to believe that Holmes can step in and be a decent center. He must have looked all-pro during this offseason to the coaches. 

Would you rather us have wasted a 4th round pick and give him no shot in an actual game?

Im not concerned about being the best offense, I just want to be able to run the ball when we want to, The rest will take care of itself on offense

Yep. The cliche they kept repeating is true. Run the ball and stop the run. (Hmmm, maybe draft those kind of guys?)

The Pats showed us that was true last year. It may take a few games for the line to gel. Patience, don't freak if it doesn't look great day one.

Like every team, every year, avoiding, accounting and adjusting for injuries is the key.

I see no reason to believe that Holmes can step in and be a decent center. He must have looked all-pro during this offseason to the coaches. 

He looked very good in college.   That's why Grigson spent a #4 on him.     Grigson has said he's been part of three different franchises that have been to the Super Bowl all with a free agent center.    So, he thinks a team can win with a free agent center.

When a GM thinks you can win with a FA center and then turns around and spends a #4 to draft a center that tells you just how good Grigson thinks Holmes is.    Consider he was drafted to be the center of the future, it's not unreasonable to think the GM is going to give his player a shot at playing the positions.

If Holmes is what Grigson thinks he is, then the Colts are in great shape.   If not,  then we can adjust next off-season........

But until then,  Holmes gets a fair shot.

I know that everybody is excited about the upcoming season but lets keep a little reality going. It would be very hard for the Colts to out gun the Broncos and or another team or two as far as potent offense. I would like to see a more balanced team using a little ball control so our defense can stay off the field so much. This having to out score the other teams is not a good thing.

The success of our offense resolves around the success of our O-line.   If the O-line plays well,  the rest of the offense will be beautiful to watch.     Doesn't matter if we're first in offense or in the top-8,  (top quarter of the NFL) we'll be very good.

But it's up to the O-line.   The offense goes as it goes......

I know that everybody is excited about the upcoming season but lets keep a little reality going. It would be very hard for the Colts to out gun the Broncos and or another team or two as far as potent offense. I would like to see a more balanced team using a little ball control so our defense can stay off the field so much. This having to out score the other teams is not a good thing.

Yeah, I think we have plenty of firepower, but we don't have the experience and savvy to be as explosive and efficient as teams like the Broncos, Saints, Packers, etc. In order for our offense to take the next step, we definitely need the offensive line play to improve.

We do have great potential on offense. I love what Grigson is doing with who he's bringing in. I don't think though that Luck will ever lead the league in passing yards as long as Pep is the OC, there's too much of a running game in his scheme. Hopefully, we're well-rounded enough on offense that he doesn't have to.

I'm more concerned about potential of the defense. I expect the offense to score, but I'm wondering if this d can actually stop the run.

I think the D may surprise this yr I think the front 7 could really come together the back end scares me a little we appear to be thin but I have a feeling someone will surprise not Howell  I think he is going to be solid but my gut tells me Pagano is going to get the D dialed in. I am very optimistic about our team this year.

Once again this year the big question is in the O-line, but I do feel we made some improvements there. Otherwise there are few teams I can think of that has offensive potential and depth that we do. Especially when it comes to our passing game... I'm giddy...

He looked very good in college.   That's why Grigson spent a #4 on him.     Grigson has said he's been part of three different franchises that have been to the Super Bowl all with a free agent center.    So, he thinks a team can win with a free agent center.

When a GM thinks you can win with a FA center and then turns around and spends a #4 to draft a center that tells you just how good Grigson thinks Holmes is.    Consider he was drafted to be the center of the future, it's not unreasonable to think the GM is going to give his player a shot at playing the positions.

If Holmes is what Grigson thinks he is, then the Colts are in great shape.   If not,  then we can adjust next off-season........

But until then,  Holmes gets a fair shot.

i like to add holmes was a second round talent grigs got in the fourth round

The more I think about it, the more I think we could easily have the best offense in the league next season. Andrew Luck in his 3rd season will be a more experienced, more polished QB with more weapons. If Nicks returns to his former self, he, Wayne, and Hilton will be unbelievable. Then we have Rogers and Moncrief as backups. Both those guys could be elite receivers in a year or two. They both have unbelievable potential. We have Allen and Fleener at TE. We know what both can do. Our offensive line should be much improved allowing Luck more time in the pocket and they should block better in the run game. If T-Rich can break out (I believe he will), He could be a really solid back. Ballard should come back healthy, but Bradshaw is the wildcard. The potential of this offense is unreal guys. There are a lot of "if's" though. It also wouldn't surprise me if Luck led the league in passing yards. There is reason to be very excited about this team for a long time.

Nicks>DHB haha!

Holmes is going to be a stud and will boost the run game up the middle, and our pass blocking at the guard position i`m sure will be improved. Not sure we have ANY guards who will consistently get push but we will have at least 2 RB`s who can find a hole.

We were terrific with turnovers and penalties so we didn`t beat ourselves that way. Hope we do Near that again.

The Offense should now be ready to be more consistent and be able to control the ball. We are going to grind them down and score plenty of points to win, much thanks to our D being greatly improved also.

Because we will run a lot and keep the clock running, I seriously doubt Andrew is in the top 6 in passing yards. I hope not anyway.

I'm more concerned about potential of the defense. I expect the offense to score, but I'm wondering if this d can actually stop the run.

haha! Did you know the Ravens were #2 against the run at 3.2yds per carry when Jones was in and in double digits with him out?

Few here GET just how bad Mathews, Moala, and Franklin were against the run and Redding was not that great either in many games. Walden looked like he had never played his position for roughly the 1st half of the season. Werner was weak also.

Mathis has ALWAYS been a Liability against the run. With better players around them...

Chapman was stout and should be ready for 500 + snaps. No reason that M Hughes and his 340 lbs won`t be ready to move into the rotation.The guy is stout and has some quickness. They like him. To me Pendleton at 332 showed some real speed and will be MUCH better in the rotation against the run than Mathews or Moala ever dreamed about.

We didn`t get to see what RJF can do last season. He can play anywhere along the line including being a terror from the Nose position in PR situations. A few less snaps and better situational opportunities will be good for Redding.

They used Moala as a shadow in the middle with nice effect in passing situations as he is fast and can put on nice pressure chasing.

Freeman had a number of Really Good games. That was when our D-Line did a good job and gave him room to operate.

I believe he will be operating a Lot behind A Jones so... :thmup:  His best is yet to come?

D Jackson I gotta believe, will be where he is supposed to be much more consistently than Angerer or Sheppard were.

McNary should be quicker to read plays and improve his tackling.

I see our run D making a HUGE jump.

Putting us in scads more quality pass rush situations than what we had last season.

When Toler played last season we had some good games on D for sure. We should be much better as a front seven!

With an improved offense controlling the ball/clock, statistically our D should be at minimum top half in YPG.

in Scoring? Seattle gave up 16 passing TD`s in the regular season. Vontae gave up 8. Ouch!

We will pressure the QB as a unit better than last year and all of our DB`s will be gratefull. :goodluck:

A consistently higher quality of football is coming our way. How i see it anyway. lol

The ability to run the ball makes the O so much more effective.  The real plus of running the ball is the time our D will be off the field, resting for the next series.  When the opponent has to fear the run as much as the pass, winning games takes care of itself.  

This offense will be as good as the O-line allows it to be. We've got the QB, we've got good enough weapons to make some real noise. Will getting Thomas back, adding Mewhort, giving Thornton's a year experience, and passing the torch on at C to Holmes be enough? It's possible. Getting Allen back should help in the run blocking game too. So almost certainly the offense will be better than last year's offense (which was the only offense to but up 30+ on Seattle). Things are looking good on this side of the ball.

Once our OL steps up and we get a 100 yd rusher that's per game not season.

Then I think we will have the best offense in the league.

I don't think we exactly need to have a 100 yard rusher but we do need AT LEAST 100 yards total.

If Pagano lets Pep call plays like he was during the last 4 games of the season will be a top 5 offense. Luck was in shotgun with 3 WR's, the offense was much better. If were gonna use a FB and try to run the ball 25x a game with Trent , then will struggle and be 15th+. It all depends on what type of offense will run.

We should be running the same type of offense the Broncos run. Shotgun 75% of the game, 3 WR, RB, TE. Running HB draws, counters, screens, and dives. Last year with Brown i think we were better running the ball out of shotgun then under center. It makes it harder for defenses when your in shotgun.