Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Defensive expectations

CR91

Hey guys. Sorry I haven't been on. I'm on vacation in South Africa. Missing a lot of football news haha

So I'm scrolling and I see hankins's comments and was shocked. So can our defense atleast match the production of our offense

I'll say 15-20th, which is a huge difference.  There will be some rough times at the beginning of the year but hopefully by week 5-6 they can start showing some signs of actually being a real monster.  Bottom 10 is not an option, hopefully :dunno: .  

Personally, I think it will take a couple years for this team to be where they want.  Continue adding young talent though and a few years down the road this team may be built for long term success.

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Hey guys. Sorry I haven't been on. I'm on vacation in South Africa. Missing a lot of football news haha

So I'm scrolling and I see hankins's comments and was shocked. So can our defense atleast match the production of our offense

That's awesome where in south Arica are you vacationing? My bucket list includes visiting there and seeing Victoria Falls and Cape Town to do a little great white cage diving. 

High expectations. Anderson another year removed from surgery. Langford and Geathers healthy. Addition of Hankins, Sheard, Spence and Simon. Development of last year's young guys such as Ridgeway, E Jackson, Morrison and TJ Green. Addition of talented rookie class. Vontae in contract year. Also consider a year under Monachino's belt. 

Should result in much improved defense over last year. 

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

South Africa!!!

Great...... If I go across town I consider it a expedition.

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

Eh our end result for offense is nice and all but last year if our defense matched out offense  we still would've lost lol..being that the offense only played in the 4th qtr mainly I want them both to be prepared this year equally through all phases of the game 

My expectations are to show an improvement. 

I like the Defensive Line:  I could see Hankins at the NT (with series at DT), I could see Ridgeway challenging Langford for the DT spot, and I could see Anderson challenging Langford at the DE spot.  My hope would be that both Ridgeway and Anderson could start and Langford could rotate between the two, keeping him fresh in his year back from his first injury and with his age considered.  Al Woods can provide solid depth at NT and DT while Margus Hunt might flash at DE/DT?   Grover Stewart (NT/DT), TY McGill (All spots) and  Parry? (NT/DT) could provide solid depth or challenge for a bigger role?

I like the OLB'ers:  I can see Sheard (JACK) and Simon (SAM) with Basham and Mingo offering solid depth.

After that, other than Davis (CB) and Geathers (SS),,,it is wide open....

I look forward to seeing this all play out and believe that the improvement I expect, will come to to fruition!  Go Colts!

My guess is somewhere between 18 to 22. Lots depends on health obviously, but so long as we see some steady improvement week to week, I'll be content. I like the potential of the D line. Realistically, with all the able bodies up front, I'd like to see the run defense in the top half of the league. 

The secondary I have a feeling will get torched when the season starts, but really if you expect anything otherwise, especially with two rookies starting, then you're expectations are too high. They'll improve as we go along.

It's the linebackers I'm worried about. Sheard and Simon are good players, and have some decent potential, but I don't know if I trust them to be able to provide a consistent pass rush, especially since neither player was as heavily relied upon in the past. The ILBs are obviously the weakest link talent wise on D, but hopefully all that competition Ballard has been preaching helps some of them reach the potential that I think some of these young guys have. 

A middle of the pack defense would be extraordinary for this team. I mean, last season they went 8-8 with the second worst defense. You gotta think they'll be better this time, right?

If the dang offensive would actually come to play in the 1st three quarters, our d would be so dang wore out all the time. I'm not sure what the cause is. Not how to fix it but that's honestly 60 percent of our problem. There were several games we lost last year that the offense did nothing but three and outs for 45 minutes

On 5/16/2017 at 4:15 PM, NorthernBlue said:

My guess is somewhere between 18 to 22. Lots depends on health obviously, but so long as we see some steady improvement week to week, I'll be content. I like the potential of the D line. Realistically, with all the able bodies up front, I'd like to see the run defense in the top half of the league. 

The secondary I have a feeling will get torched when the season starts, but really if you expect anything otherwise, especially with two rookies starting, then you're expectations are too high. They'll improve as we go along.

It's the linebackers I'm worried about. Sheard and Simon are good players, and have some decent potential, but I don't know if I trust them to be able to provide a consistent pass rush, especially since neither player was as heavily relied upon in the past. The ILBs are obviously the weakest link talent wise on D, but hopefully all that competition Ballard has been preaching helps some of them reach the potential that I think some of these young guys have. 

A middle of the pack defense would be extraordinary for this team. I mean, last season they went 8-8 with the second worst defense. You gotta think they'll be better this time, right?

I think you are going to be pleasantly surprised with Wilson. We were fortunate to get him at 46. He is the best player Davis has had opposite of him in Indy. I think Wilson is going to be solid right out of the gate. I like his willingness in run support too. There will be bumps but I don't think we are getting torched to start the season. Hooker's speed will protect us over the top. We start the year vs Rams Cards and Browns. That should allow us some time to settle in. The thing that could really hurt the secondary is Geathers health. If he can't go that's a problem especially vs the run . It will impact ILB vs the pass. 

I think we will be fine at OLB. Sheard and Simon have done well with pressures and sacks taking snap count into consideration. I like Simon he could have a break out year with an increased snap count and playing exclusively at OLB. If we get something from Basham that would really help. Having Langford back should provide better pressure from DL too. It's not where we want it but the pass rush will be improved. 

ILB is what has me concerned too. I'd love to see us sign Hodges. If not I think we are looking at Spence and Jackson starting. Jackson I expect to build off of last year. I don't think Morrison has a lot to offer because of his inability to move. Rhodes looked descent inTB last preseason he could surprise.  Bostic hasn't played in a full year. Spence should be solid but his injury history is troublesome. Walker has some work to do if he's going to be part of the solution. He's not a solid tackler he missed 19 last year and before everyone talks about the extra weight. He'd missed 34 the two years prior. This group should benefit from improvements in front of them. 

I think the D can get on the same bag and come together in the preseason. That's provided everyone is there. They are going to be pretty good. Just how good depends on the health of Geathers. He does so many things for us on D. His loss would not only hurt the back end but it would impact what we do inside on passing downs. I think we could be in the upper half of the league with a healthy Geathers 

On 5/16/2017 at 7:59 PM, csmopar said:

If the dang offensive would actually come to play in the 1st three quarters, our d would be so dang wore out all the time. I'm not sure what the cause is. Not how to fix it but that's honestly 60 percent of our problem. There were several games we lost last year that the offense did nothing but three and outs for 45 minutes

Pagano and Chud don't understand the concept of a 'move the chains' offense.

It's chunk play or bust with those two.

Im expecting a drastic improvent in the run defense. Hankins finally gives us a good NT while a fit Anderson and Langford should form a much more solid d-line than what weve had in the last few years. Futhermore I think Simon and Sheard will set a solid edge against the run also.

Against pass plays, alot will come down to Vontae's health and Wilson's transition to the pros. If both those work out this season for us, it would be massive, becuase were going to be limited in getting after the qb. Spence being a natural WILL who is good in space, will be a valuable player for us in coverage, again the type of player we have been missing.

I think finishing 20th would be a good improvement. 

On 5/16/2017 at 7:59 PM, csmopar said:

Ikr? I'm ok with a few dead drives because it's the NFL and it isn't easy to consistently win that battle, but the random boost in play or thinning out is annoying. I'd like to just see more 60-minute consistency than a great comeback after being down 14+

On 5/16/2017 at 8:15 PM, NorthernBlue said:

I agree. I don't know where we will get our pass rush from. I have concerns about all of our OLBs including Basham there. Basham may not be effective until he develops more variety in his pass rush. Our ILBs don't impress me at all.

On 5/16/2017 at 8:59 PM, csmopar said:

The defense's problem wasn't the offense.  Their problem was they sucked.

On May 16, 2017 at 1:19 PM, Malakai432 said:

I'll say 15-20th, which is a huge difference.  There will be some rough times at the beginning of the year but hopefully by week 5-6 they can start showing some signs of actually being a real monster.  Bottom 10 is not an option, hopefully :dunno: .  

Personally, I think it will take a couple years for this team to be where they want.  Continue adding young talent though and a few years down the road this team may be built for long term success.

I like the fact that you don't blindly think that with a new GM at the helm our turnaround will be instantaneous. I realize that's not an earth shattering remark & yes I know it qualifies as a captain obvious statement M-432. I just appreciate that you're practical & don't get sidetracked with SB dreams & parade routes as a fan yet. 

I'm with you man. Let's make the playoffs first & see how much competition Houston's new QB is first. 

On May 16, 2017 at 11:58 AM, CR91 said:

I'm on vacation in South Africa. Missing a lot of football news haha

The Dark Continent is definitely an off the beaten path to spend on holiday CR91. You get props for say skipping Miami or another conventional vacation spot. 

When most people envision leisure, Nelson Mandela's home isn't at the top of their list. A+ on the dare to be different front my friend. :hat:

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 11:58 AM, CR91 said:

I don't think it can. Not until we get a legit big time pass rusher. We don't have one yet. It could be an improved pass rush but until we prove we can put consistent pressure on the passer no.

Making predictions in May is a tenuous activity. That being said here are three areas that will define their relative success:

1. The front 7 should be drastically improved with the free agent signings and healthy return of Langford and Anderson. The competition at D line will be intense as will the linebacker groups. Good stuff that should net an obvious improvement.

2. Also improving is the back end that has the potential to do great things in the passing game. Note that I said potential as much depends on the rookie development and the return of a healthy Geathers.

3. Cutting down on picks and other turnovers will be a big key to the statistics of the D scoring wise. I do think that with an improved D, Luck will be more careful with it, not feeling that he has to score every possession.

Having defined these areas it is of interest on how they feed and fuel each other in that an improved front 7 will give opposing QBs less time making the DBs better and the DBs can improve the sack and hit numbers by providing another 1/2 second of tight coverage. The offense hanging onto the ball better is self explanatory to improving the D statistically. If healthy (big if) this D should be in the top half of the league by game 6.

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 3:03 PM, bananabucket said:

I think we will be bottom 10.  Ballard seems to have gotten us going in the right direction defensively, but we still have many stopgaps and rookies.

You will be surprised we are already better defensively with the addition of Hankins alone that's the best NT we have had like ever.

My only expectation is that we can mount some sort of defense from time to time, that would be an improvement over last season.....once I see that I will start pointing the goals higher........but in all honesty a middle of the road defense would be the peak achievement this season with the pieces that have been added talent wise, but since they all have to gel as a unit I would expect some ugliness early on......so a 20th ranked D probably will be where we stand with it being more 15th-ish by playoff time. IF Andrew and key offensive guys healthy, that might be good enough for a playoff appearance......and build from there.

3 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

You will be surprised we are already better defensively with the addition of Hankins alone that's the best NT we have had like ever.

If he is better than Booger McFarland then we have something.

We were 22nd in Points allowed last season. With the additions and subtractions we have made I fully expect the team moves up a few spots at worse. We need to be around 15th in this category to be real competitive, Top 20 at worse like I mentioned in the 'Do the Colts return to the Playoffs Thread'.

7 hours ago, BOTT said:

The colts were 10th in time of possession.

Really? Sure didn't seem that way. 

3 hours ago, #12. said:

Want to get off the field?  Get a stop.

True true. But what good is getting a stop only to be back out there 45 seconds later?