Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Where's Dorsett?

jchandler7

It's time for this Dorsett to step up. In 3 games he only has 8 catches for 150 yards, that's less than 3 catches a game average. I like the kid but for a former 1st round pick in his 2nd season I expected more out of him this year (especially with Moncrief out yesterday). I know he's got the potential but hasn't produced much thus far.  What's everyone's opinion on this?  Is it due to not having that chemistry with Luck yet, is he just not getting open enough,  over hyped or am I expecting to much out of him. Here's to hoping  for a rebound and a big game this Sunday!

9 minutes ago, jchandler7 said:

It's time for this Dorsett to step up. In 3 games he only has 8 catches for 150 yards, that's less than 3 catches a game average. I like the kid but for a former 1st round pick in his 2nd season I expected more out of him this year (especially with Moncrief out yesterday). I know he's got the potential but hasn't produced much thus far.  What's everyone's opinion on this?  Is it due to not having that chemistry with Luck yet, is he just not getting open enough,  over hyped or am I expecting to much out of him. Here's to hoping  for a rebound and a big game this Sunday!

Man what are you talking about?  You're not going to go off every single game. Dorsett has been fine.

Why are we even writing about this? He's made plays in every game we've had, especially on the deep ball.  San Diego he contributed less, but games like that will happen from time to time.  There are games when even TY doesn't contribute his normal amount.  It happens!  Dorsett has been the third receiver by design in the first two games.  The third receiver will not get as many catches and attempts as #1 and #2.  There's going to be games depending on the coverage where he is more of a focal point.

I respect everybody's opinions, this is why I asked because I wanted to see how other Colts fans felt. My friends have been bashing "the pick" since last year's draft and I keep telling them that he is going to be good, just give it time. This year everybody gave me a hard time for drafting Dorsett in fantasy (with my last pick). I am just expecting to much out of him I reckon. As much as Luck throws the ball I was just expecting more targets going his way and was curious what others thought. I know we've got other targets for luck to throw to, but Dorsett has a good skill set and should be utilized more IMO.

Sent from my SCH-I535 *

I have been rather amazed with Dorsett's speed and smooth route running. 

There have been many times that I have seen where he is open and the protection breaks down.  He is more of a downfield runner.  I think he needs to learn, however how to come back off of route for broken down plays.  His hands have been great too. Jut a couple of my $.02...........

I'd really like to see more WR screens w/ Dorsett, I actually kind of expect it, since word on the street is that they practiced it everyday in training camp. It just seems like such an easy way to pick up a quick 5 or 6 yards to keep the chains moving. I think they've ran it twice so far.

The big 54 yarder vs Detroit was a great play, and there was a play in Denver where he made a great catch with a CB draped all over him. He's had his moments, without yet being a focal point of the offense. As the season goes on, he'll be involved more and more.

18 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I'd really like to see more WR screens w/ Dorsett, I actually kind of expect it, since word on the street is that they practiced it everyday in training camp. It just seems like such an easy way to pick up a quick 5 or 6 yards to keep the chains moving. I think they've ran it twice so far.

The big 54 yarder vs Detroit was a great play, and there was a play in Denver where he made a great catch with a CB draped all over him. He's had his moments, without yet being a focal point of the offense. As the season goes on, he'll be involved more and more.

I agree plus didnt he have a catch or 2 negated by penalties this year.

13 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Chud has many wrinkles to his O. And i agree Dorsett will be effective in the screen game.
 You folks need to get it in your head that it takes blockers to make the screen game work.
 Moncrief is our only Big WR that can make the necessary block for this and our O-Lineman are big clumsy hulks in the open field. We offer Zero threat running outside the tackles at this time because of this.
 Chud has to be very creative. And i do like how our guys are picking up and executing his route schemes.
 We are building a diverse passing game that bodes well for the long hall.
  Dorsett does have to be accounted for and he is coming along nicely.

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Anytime we see his cb playing off and not pressing him I think Luck should audible and immediately just throw to him in motion. Free 5 yards minimum 

Hilton-34 targets 144 receiving snaps

Moncrief-10 targets before injury 56 receiving snaps

Dorsett-15 targets 129 receiving snaps

Luck and Hilton have gained a lot of chemistry and he is the go to receiver overall in this offense. Luck feels comfortable with him. He is Lucks 1st read on a lot of plays.

Football is also about matchups more than anything else. If you have a wr abusing a coverage or Corner you find ways to keep that going. Hilton gave Verrett fits so you keep going at him with that matchup

I remember Marvin's first couple of years,when he would drop every other pass.I kept thinking,"this guy sucks,get rid of him". Then Reggie's first year,he couldn't catch a cold,or get free to save his life. I wanted him cut,and was mad about the wasted pick. Thank goodness cooler,(and more intelligent) heads prevailed.I have adopted a ,wait and see approach.But I do believe his talent and speed are undeniable.

2 hours ago, Gavin said:

Hilton-34 targets 144 receiving snaps

Moncrief-10 targets before injury 56 receiving snaps

Dorsett-15 targets 129 receiving snaps

Luck and Hilton have gained a lot of chemistry and he is the go to receiver overall in this offense. Luck feels comfortable with him. He is Lucks 1st read on a lot of plays.

Football is also about matchups more than anything else. If you have a wr abusing a coverage or Corner you find ways to keep that going. Hilton gave Verrett fits so you keep going at him with that matchup

This just made me take a closer look at receiving stats. Interesting how balanced WR/TE targets are outside of TY. There is TY's 34 (11.3/game), and then Dorsett, Doyle, and Allen all have 15. Moncrief has 10. So the other top 4 WR/TE options are averaging 5/game. Additionally, Ferguson, Gore, and Turbin have 26 (8.6/game).

TY is currently 4th in the NFL in targets and is on pace for 180, which is legit #1 volume. If he keeps it up, I will be interested to see his overall stats at the end of the season. For comparison, he had 130 in 2014. 

He's on pace for over 800 yards which is probably about what I excpected of him on the high end lol.  He'll get better and continue to do fine, Moncrief was a pretty big loss so your probably going to see the TEs get more catches.  Their ability to spread the field was hampered a bit IMO with his loss.  

3 hours ago, IndyTrav said:

At what point do we stop saying "he just needs time" while a ton of rookie, and 2nd year WR continue to make a significant difference? This is a legit question Bc I'm curious. 

People don't want to admit this was another bad pick.....which is was.

He's fine.  Some games he will get his, others he won't.  T.Y. was pretty quiet going into Sunday's game and we saw what happened.  I think Dorsett will have one of those game too.  Just depends on when and matchups.  One of the more underrated concepts of WR's though is simply being a threat, whether they get thrown to or not.  He HAS to be covered due to his speed, and that makes a defense accountable, which is good for everybody on the offense.  Getting Moncrief back healthy won't hurt either.

17 hours ago, BrentMc11 said:

I have been rather amazed with Dorsett's speed and smooth route running. 

There have been many times that I have seen where he is open and the protection breaks down.  He is more of a downfield runner.  I think he needs to learn, however how to come back off of route for broken down plays.  His hands have been great too. Jut a couple of my $.02...........

I bet we can thank one Mr. Hilton for that, just as we thanked Reggie for TY's growth and Marvin for Reggie's growth.  It's a long great tradition here....

8 hours ago, IndyTrav said:

At what point do we stop saying "he just needs time" while a ton of rookie, and 2nd year WR continue to make a significant difference? This is a legit question Bc I'm curious. 

Dorsett had big plays as a rookie, and already has big plays in Year 2. He's already made a significant difference. 

He's also been relegated to a reserve role, until Sunday, which was his first career start, and 14th game overall. There's little sense in comparing a player who hasn't been used to a player who is thrust into the starting lineup right away. (It's also worth noting that 6 of his 14 games so far are without Luck, and 7 of 14 were with a bad OC who didn't use his players effectively.)

I don't think he needs time, I think he needs opportunity, which he really hasn't had, at least not consistently. He had 94 yards as WR3 in the opener. Moncrief is out for a few more weeks, I'm pretty sure Dorsett will get increased opportunities during this stretch, and then we'll have a better idea where he is.

20 hours ago, jchandler7 said:

I respect everybody's opinions, this is why I asked because I wanted to see how other Colts fans felt. My friends have been bashing "the pick" since last year's draft and I keep telling them that he is going to be good, just give it time. This year everybody gave me a hard time for drafting Dorsett in fantasy (with my last pick). I am just expecting to much out of him I reckon. As much as Luck throws the ball I was just expecting more targets going his way and was curious what others thought. I know we've got other targets for luck to throw to, but Dorsett has a good skill set and should be utilized more IMO.

Sent from my SCH-I535 *

Find some new friends...