Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Offensive line problems (Merge)

RockThatBlue

Bruce Arians would have made it work. The coaching is a bigger problem then the offensive line.

Can't argue with that second sentence.  I really think our talent is underperforming.  Meaning they're better than they're playing.  A good coach would use their strengths and wouldn't run plays that he knows won't work considering their weaknesses.

The talent isn't as bad as the play.

I dont believe the colts have had the same line up in two consecutive games since before Mannings departure. I would not know what to do. The whole team walked into Dallas, I'm surprised they did not miss the plane, They were not up for this game at all. It is a difficult thing to keep a bunch of guys hungry when this game ment nothing. They got murdered by penalties and olso the ones that were not called. I expect the same next week.

I'm tired of hearing about Bruce Arians like he did anything that Pagano hasn't done the last two years. Arians also lost big with us. Gave up 59 against the Patriots and got creamed by the Jets.. but staying on topic with the offensive line, fans love to try and find a scapegoat. Can never be on the players having bad games. One big piece in the reason the offensive line stalled is Donald Thomas. We don't know how good he could have been but his injuries did not help as all the FA were gone since it was in training camp. Youth is the second reason. Some of the decisions on the line are kind of strange to me but these guys Pagano puts out there must show up in practice because these are his guys. I think the o line problems are more personnel than coaching.

Can't argue with that second sentence. I really think our talent is underperforming. Meaning they're better than they're playing. A good coach would use their strengths and wouldn't run plays that he knows won't work considering their weaknesses.

The talent isn't as bad as the play.

we're hurt, so for the most part I understand. Except for AC, they were all fill-ins or first time starters except Mewhort the rookie.

Having said that- our first two drives concentrated on running behind the right side- Nixon( injured and a backup), Louis (backup), and Holmes( first time regular season starter. Not exactly a Colts Strength...

None of that explains all the dropped passes...

All year long Andrew has been eating turf. We might consider spending some of that hard earn cash  on a Offensive line or we are going to be looking for a replacement QB. The man is tough but it only takes one hit because the OL missed yet another assignment. And if it wasnt noticable against the Cowboys, how bout Cleveland, or any other game we played this year. Its not rocket science for the love God.

The person responsible for our O-Line needs to be replaced, for sure! I still cannot believe that in Week 15, we are still trying to figure out who our O-Line should be. Yesterday, we saw 3 different centers play. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

that would be Ryan Grigson it's clear the Colts don't have the talent needed on the o-line and its his job to bring in talent. The coaches keep trying so many players because of injuries in part but also because they are looking for an answer. With that said, just because you have a need doesn't mean you have the answer that the coaches can just find hidden on the bench some place. Sometimes the talent is just not there.

All year long Andrew has been eating turf. We might consider spending some of that hard earn cash  on a Offensive line or we are going to be looking for a replacement QB. The man is tough but it only takes one hit because the OL missed yet another assignment. And if it wasnt noticable against the Cowboys, how bout Cleveland, or any other game we played this year. Its not rocket science for the love God.

While I would like an immediate answer to the O-line problem, the Cowboys showed what you need to do to have a really good O-line.  They didn't spend lots of cash on FAs, they invested year after year in the draft and brought their players up to where they are today.  Maybe that is a model Grigson should try to follow.

that would be Ryan Grigson it's clear the Colts don't have the talent needed on the o-line and its his job to bring in talent. The coaches keep trying so many players because of injuries in part but also because they are looking for an answer. With that said, just because you have a need doesn't mean you have the answer that the coaches can just find hidden on the bench some place. Sometimes the talent is just not there.

You got that last sentence right.

Also, for our Center position, I don't even think it's coming down to who's injured. As far as I know Shipley, Harrison, and K. Holmes were all healthy to play Center. But yet we can't stick to one that plays the best? Between those 3 Centers, it's definitely not saying much since none of them are talented enough to protect Andrew Luck, at this time. But we need to show some consistency and stick with the guy who plays games the best.

I don't agree.  Respectfully of course :D.  If you take a look around the NFL we have a whole bunch of talent on our oline.  But my god the scheme is horrible.

Also, for our Center position, I don't even think it's coming down to who's injured. As far as I know Shipley, Harrison, and K. Holmes were all healthy to play Center. But yet we can't stick to one that plays the best? Between those 3 Centers, it's definitely not saying much since none of them are talented enough to protect Andrew Luck, at this time. But we need to show some consistency and stick with the guy who plays games the best.

well yesterday Holmes played Center, I still don't know if Harrison was hurt or that was a change. There is something about shipley the team just doesn't like.

While I would like an immediate answer to the O-line problem, the Cowboys showed what you need to do to have a really good O-line. They didn't spend lots of cash on FAs, they invested year after year in the draft and brought their players up to where they are today. Maybe that is a model Grigson should try to follow.

Every Oline looks good against us though. We have a non existent pass rush.

My friend talked to Phil B. from the star who said he talked to A.Q.Shipley. Shipley said "he was going to bail out" once the season is over.

That is probably one of the things that worries me the most about how the FO and coaching staff treats players.  I don't know if I can describe what I mean in a short post but they really seem to treat some players like crap and if that keeps up word is going to get around and the only players they will be able to sign are those that are not wanted by other teams.  Fans say things like, "they are professionals, they know it's just business..."  Well I'm a professional and my work is just business but if my company did things like; pull me from a project (in which I was doing well) for no reason to give it to someone else and then when that person failed at the project, rather than asking me to come in and salvage it they gave it to someone else.  Yeah, I'd be pretty upset and I would bolt the first chance I got.

When that kind of thing happened to players like DHB and Avery people were like, it's no big deal but when it happens to guys that are solid contributors people will start to take notice.

Why does the moronic coaching staff refuse to put Holmes in until people get hurt? Is Shipley still hurt? Why isn't he playing out there? Why do the coaches hate Holmes and Shipley? They play great, and our coaches are NOT putting the best players on the field. This is madness. 

And Xavier Nixon at Tackle........LOL 

t1.jpg

And when asked, I don't want to hear "because he's our starter" from Pagano when asked why this guy or this guy is starting. This is becoming a trend, and it's not a good one. 

Shipley at Center and Holmes at RG looked decent in the Cleveland game-at least better than we have now.

Since we always get off to such terrible starts, I wanted to see what happened on the Colts first offensive play against Dallas, when Boom Heron was tackled 7 yards in the backfield. 

CBS did not show a replay of this play because they cut away to show a graphic the of Colts starting lineup.

Here's how the play unfolds...

The team lines up with Heron at HB and Allen at FB. The run is designed to go to the right.

Khaled Holmes is at center, Lewis at RG, Nixon at RT and TE Fleener is on the end on of the right side of the line.

Allen motions to the right, and the ball is snapped...

At first glance It looks as though Holmes whiffs, misses his block, allowing the Dallas DT to split the gap, stuffing Heron for a big loss.

However, after playing the tape back several times, it seems as though it is more a case of blown blocking assignments, than poor play.

What actually happens is...

When the ball is snapped,  Fleener, Nixon and Lewis all pull to the right and block the same guy, (so we have three of our linemen all blocking one Dallas player).

Now, with three Colts OLmen all blocking the same Dallas DE, Khaled Holmes tries to get over to block the defensive tackle, but because the Dallas defender has a better angle than Holmes, he is able to get by Holmes' block and bust the whole play up.

Dallas went with just a basic defensive formation. The Colts scheme on this play is flawed. Just a poorly designed running play,

Perhaps the blocking schemes are as much to blame as the players are?

That is funny. Spotrac shows him as a RFA after the season.

You can watch to see who`s 90 man roster he is on next season.

Maybe he asks for himself to be released then??? He is not the greatest thing since sliced bread but he deserves more playing time than what the OL coaches have given him due to the fact he has exceeded expectations every time he has stepped on the field.

well in the case of Dallas.....how many drafts (after being VERY mediocre) did they have to invest their #1 pick in the OL for them to finally reach this point....Colts are only in year 3 and have the left side of the line down. Now the right side is a whole other story

Mewhort is a medocrity also. Too tall, light and Slow footed.  AC is a journeyman. Just so so at best. We are LOCKED IN with below average talent.

Mewhort is a medocrity also. Too tall, light and Slow footed. AC is a journeyman. Just so so at best. We are LOCKED IN with below average talent.

AC is a journeyman? Okay, lol. Now the rest of them I will agree average to below average.