Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Draft Review

BProland85

Fan base in April:

Great draft, hit it out of the park.

Same fans in September:

How are we supposed to win with these bums if Ballard only looks at RAS?

Followed by the usual let's tank the rest of the way after the 0-2 start ..

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, IinD said:

Fan base in April:

Great draft, hit it out of the park.

Same fans in September:

How are we supposed to win with these bums if Ballard only looks at RAS?

Followed by the usual let's tank the rest of the way after the 0-2 start ..

Truth.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KB said:

I like the talent we got, but not liking how iOL wasn't addressed. There was a run on them but still. Hopefully we're looking into free agents now.

That's my biggest Question Mark. After losing Doyle and seeing the Oline struggle I can't understand not grabbing some IOL. Kelly is hurt consistently and RG is a ?.  I felt we needed better effort to up the run blocking. Maybe we plan on moving a T to G or will try to sign Risner.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

That's my biggest Question Mark. After losing Doyle and seeing the Oline struggle I can't understand not grabbing some IOL. Kelly is hurt consistently and RG is a ?.  I felt we needed better effort to up the run blocking. Maybe we plan on moving a T to G or will try to sign Risner.

We got the guard from alabama. We will be fine

• Like 1

Yeah, I’d go A- on paper. I liked the players we chose, we got some high upside depth pieces as well. There’s a ton of athleticism on this team. But the knock, I guess, would be that it’s still a gamble. For the O-line we are gambling that the high paid veterans there take a step forward and the athletic draftees will push them for a role. The QB is an obvious gamble. But frankly it’s a gamble worth taking. It’s all on the coaches now to develop these guys into reaching those ceilings. 

regardless, for the organization this feels like a big win. I think all these moves will help inject some excitement back into the fanbase early.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, funktacious2 said:

Yeah, I’d go A- on paper. I liked the players we chose, we got some high upside depth pieces as well. There’s a ton of athleticism on this team. But the knock, I guess, would be that it’s still a gamble. For the O-line we are gambling that the high paid veterans there take a step forward and the athletic draftees will push them for a role. The QB is an obvious gamble. But frankly it’s a gamble worth taking. It’s all on the coaches now to develop these guys into reaching those ceilings. 

regardless, for the organization this feels like a big win. I think all these moves will help inject some excitement back into the fanbase early.

Let’s be honest this draft comes down to Richardson.  If he works out fans will love this draft.  If he doesn’t fans will hate it.  Look at the Manning and Luck drafts.  Outside of Hilton there were no other major stars in either (yes I know guys like Fleener and Allen did make an impact in Luke’s draft short term but never lived up to what it was hoped they would become here when drafted).  

• Like 3

Was a very fun draft! I thought Ballard was able to get solid players at positions of need without reaching. He started runs instead of panicking and reaching because he was on the end of a run. When he missed the interior O-Line run, he didn't panic and punted it for the draft so every other position could get a good player. Once UDFA hit, we quickly got a deal done with Ekiyor, and we still have the option of Risner on Monday. 

Ballard even tripled up on CB like I was hoping and didn't mess around. The position is fixed. He got creative and filled depth at many different positions as BPA picks. Honestly, this team is much better than it was 3 days ago. So many high reward guys that can carry this team to prominence, and that's not even mentioning Anthony Richardson. 

I don't see, at this point, how someone could be upset about the draft this year. Pretty much everything worked out, and if it didn't, Ballard had a backup plan to it. The team is looking great right now! :thmup: 

A+ with the UDFA signing of Ekiyor

Posted this in the wrong thread on accident, so I'm re-posting it here.

• Like 5

Something that I find interesting is the position of our special team aces have changes a bit. So for the past few years it's been out LBs in Adams, Franklin, and Speed. All good depth and special teamers during that time. Now it seems to have possibly shifted to our secondary. I don't believe Slay will start but will be quality depth for some time while being a quality gunner and such. Scott will more than likely be a deep depth safety while providing good special teams play. On top of that, our DCs have changed from Eberflues who trended towards LBs where Bradley seems to trend towards the secondary. Just an observation, if it even comes to fruition.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Stitches Wins the Internet Today!!!

Bravo!!   :funny:      Well played!!    :worthy:

I have to be honest, I took this from twitter... but I thought it was hilarious so I posted here... original one I saw was this:

• Like 4

I thought it was a pretty good draft overall based on potential and athleticism. I'm more of a staying put, not passing on and drafting the best player of need that usually comes from the SEC including Bama, Georgia, LSU or some other powers like Ohio State, Clemson and Notre Dame to name a few. Schools that usually get the TOP athletes that produce at a HIGH level and tend to become future STARS (not all) in the league. Has all the high RAS scores and trading down (bypassing on some at hand talent) of the past worked out for us in the grand scheme of winning so far? Not really BUT has the OVERALL coaching been the best to UNLOCK the potential? I would say not BUT this is the dawn of a new era!!!!

McShay said yesterday that IF Steichen can further develop Richardson's raw talent that he has the potential to become a GENERATIONAL type and end up BETTER than all of them. Wow... and he hasn’t been alone (media wise) in that assessment of what AR can become. I know some on here don't like the pick and keep talking about his accuracy BUT guess what? The great Patrick Mahomes was at 56.8% after his freshman year!! Richardson is ONLY 20 yrs old with ONLY 13 starts under his belt but has a dynamic physical skillset that's off the charts. I think he will be SPECIAL but only time will tell. I also think Josh Downs has special written on him and I'm glad we got him.

All in all as a Ballard critic over the last few  seasons I APPLAUD him for this year's draft if for nothing more than finally DRAFTING a franchise qb that also has the potential to become a dynamic one at that. I also see a lot of potential for the secondary now that I thought was meh going in ESPECIALLY after the loss of Gilmore. I also loved the UD signing of Ekiyor. (the guard from Bama) I also think that Ballard has nailed the hc hire in Steichen. I haven't been this stoked in a long time for the Shoe but I think the arrow is now trending upwards. Now let's go get it and become that THREAT once again!!!! :thmup:

• Like 6

15 hours ago, KB said:

I like the talent we got, but not liking how iOL wasn't addressed. There was a run on them but still. Hopefully we're looking into free agents now.

Irsay said in his presser that Shane pointed out the steller o-line play in Philly and Irsay acknowledged we want to get there so I'm assuming that more movement will come via FA. I do see some promise in the two OTs we drafted but I'm MORE happy with Ekiyor's UD signing at guard who by the way was first team ALL SEC in 2022. Ekiyor had 40 starts at guard (can also play center) for Bama and the very demanding Nick Saban. One pre-draft mock on NFL.com had the Colts taking Ekiyor in the 4th round. 

• Like 3

Overall I thought it was a great draft.  I believe we have two new starters in Rounds two and three.  A new rotational DT in round four.  I’m glad we went heavy at CB.  We are going to face some very promising quarterbacks in our division.  I don’t see any of the OL we drafted or signed as UDFA as new starters on the line.  They are developmental, which is fine, but I was hoping for a new plug and play starter at RG.  Unless we sign Risner soon or acquire another veteran it seems like we are okay with the current starters there.  I thought Fries played better at the end of the season so maybe after our new coaches evaluated the current line they felt finding a new starter there wasn’t a top priority.   But there is plenty of time for more moves so we’ll see.   Again I thought we did a great job in the draft.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Hoose said:

The draft was strong. But the decision not to draft a G or C was troubling. This was a HUGE need. You have to believe that a vet Guard is on their radar. Or better be. 

I thought it was clear by drafting a couple of tackles. We have a guard who was played tackle the past several seasons.

PFF loves the Colts draft giving it an A+.  https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2023-nfl-draft-grades-for-all-32-teams#IND

Day 1: The Colts stay at Pick 4 and swing for the high ceiling of Anthony Richardson. While Richardson was inconsistent as a passer, he is arguably the most incredible athlete at the quarterback position we have ever seen. He forced 39 missed tackles in 2022.

Day 2: Brents is in the group of long, athletic prospects that the Colts have gravitated to on defense over the past several years. There aren’t too many cornerbacks out there at 6-foot-3 with 34-inch arms and a 42-inch vertical. Brents’ production and grading profile don’t overly impress, but he has traits worth betting on here for Indianapolis.

Downs was WR5 on both the PFF Big Board and the consensus big board but comes off the board here to Indianapolis as WR12. He is undersized, even for the slot, but he is one of the better underneath separators in this class and wins in contested situations over the middle of the field. Downs hauled in 13-of-18 contested targets for UNC in 2022.

Day 3: The Colts need reinforcements along the offensive line and land the 6-foot-8 Freeland, who tested off the charts with 95th percentile or better scores in the vertical jump, broad jump, short shuttle and three-cone. Freeland’s athleticism will be best utilized as a run blocker in space, earning a 90.2 zone blocking grade in 2022, but he will need to improve as a pass protector at the NFL level.

One of the more puzzling fallers of the draft after a ton of buzz following a ridiculous combine performance that was truly one of the best we’ve seen, Adebawore needs refinement at the NFL level and can now develop behind a crop of good defensive linemen with the Colts. Adebawore earned an 80.3 pass-rush grade in 2022 but a lot of that production came from pure athletic advantages. He needs to improve his hand usage and counter moves beyond just speed to power.

Rush, a former high school quarterback and college wide receiver at the start, is an incredible athlete still learning the nuances of the cornerback position. At 6-foot-2 and 198 pounds, Rush ran a 4.36-second 40-yard dash and earned an 80.3 coverage grade in 2022. When he is in position, he has a knack for making plays on the ball, as well. This is the developmental type prospect you look for on Day 3.

Scott graded better in 2021 (81.8) than in 2022 (66.8) but finished strong in his last three games. He’s a versatile and intelligent safety who is capable enough in the slot as well. He’ll add depth to the Colts’ secondary as well as a surefire contributor on special teams.

Mallory offers legitimate receiving ability and not much as a blocker. He’ll give C.J. Stroud a threat up the seam and brings legitimate versatility in the slot. He just needs to become passable in the run game.

Jones is big, strong and young — a good combination of adjectives for a late-round cornerback. He fits best in a Cover 3 scheme and, fortunately, he lands with Colts defensive coordinator Gus Bradley, who runs more Cover 3 than any other defensive play-caller.

Witt is one of the rare prospects who PFF doesn’t have data or grades on, but he came in at 211th overall on our final big board. He’s an athletic tackle — shocking, given Indianapolis’ strategy in this draft — who will be another developmental project for the Colts.

DRAFT GRADE: A+”

I think Hull and Downs will have immediate impact. Later in the season we will hear alot from Rush. AR is hit or miss, I think him in the offense alone helps Taylor big time. Not worried about the guard as most. I always thought Smith has been playing out of position. I will be more excited about him starting RG than continuing above average play at RT. 

I know this draft comes down to Richardson as to will it be one of the best hauls of all time or not. This was an all around solid draft by Ballard and company. I liked all 3 of the corners, Freeland, I think, is ahead of both Raiman and Smith coming out of college when they were drafted. Downs should be a good receiver right out of the gate(I didn't know he is Dre Bly's cousin). Ademawore, seems to fall off a lot of tackles, he needs to become a better tackler. Mallory was okay, Hull will be solid, Scott will make the team. I'll be surprised if Leo makes the team, or practice squad for that matter. Then Witt will be on the practice squad. Back to Richardson. It was the right move to draft him, even though I would have rather traded up to take Stroud, but, what do I know! If Richardson puts in the work and studies attentively he will become an absolute dominate player. If you go by what Steichen did with with Hurts, Richardson will be a top qb very shortly if he works(and I'm sure he will). If Richardson dominates, this draft will be legendary. Double A+ for now, could become infinite A+. Can you tell I'm excited? Go Colts!!!!

I am no expert by any means, but I know a lot of you are more knowledgeable than me and it encourages me to see the good reviews you've given our draft.  I am excited and glad that needs were addressed in the draft without reaching, it appears.

Question:  I truly believe our new HC wanted Richardson at #4 and may have influenced that pick when he and Levis were both available.  So, if Reich were still the HC, do you think we would have chosen Levis instead?  Just curious, even though it really doesn't matter since Reich isn't here.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2023 at 11:22 AM, richard pallo said:

Overall I thought it was a great draft.  I believe we have two new starters in Rounds two and three.  A new rotational DT in round four.  I’m glad we went heavy at CB.  We are going to face some very promising quarterbacks in our division.  I don’t see any of the OL we drafted or signed as UDFA as new starters on the line.  They are developmental, which is fine, but I was hoping for a new plug and play starter at RG.  Unless we sign Risner soon or acquire another veteran it seems like we are okay with the current starters there.  I thought Fries played better at the end of the season so maybe after our new coaches evaluated the current line they felt finding a new starter there wasn’t a top priority.   But there is plenty of time for more moves so we’ll see.   Again I thought we did a great job in the draft.

A fair prediction that we will be drafting/adding quality o-linemen the next couple years. And at LB.

SB Nation - Draft Review

Indianapolis Colts

“The Colts had a heck of a draft from top to bottom, and it starts with standing pat at number four and selecting Florida’s Anthony Richardson. For the Colts (hypothetical) offense to work under new HC Shane Steichen, a mobile QB with the ability to force defenses into adding on in the run game is crucial. Richardson will do that, while also getting more reps in the Colts offense. On Day 2, the Colts added CB Julius Brents and WR Josh Downs from North Carolina. Brents is one of my favorite DBs in this class, and his athletic profile and style of play make him a perfect fit in the Colts’ defense. Downs is a much smaller, shiftier variation of the Colts wideouts that are already on the roster, and he’ll provide a much different style of play, while exclusively being a slot defender. A few of my favorite Day 3 adds: DL Adetomiwa Adebawore, CB Darius Rush, and S Daniel Scott. All Senior Bowl alums who will add to that defense, especially Rush.”

• Like 1

I don't think drafts reviews are very helpful until we see how this turns out.  We can say they get an "A" now but if AR turns out to be a bust this draft could be an "F".  

I'm usually a positive guy but I am looking at what could not work out.  Steichen calling the plays could be a Reich reboot.  I wish he would delegate because i think the coaches are all very good.   Maybe I'm wrong and jim Bob will be calling the plays.  

AR has boom or bust written all over him.

18 hours ago, Nate! said:

PFF loves the Colts draft giving it an A+.  https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2023-nfl-draft-grades-for-all-32-teams#IND

Day 1: The Colts stay at Pick 4 and swing for the high ceiling of Anthony Richardson. While Richardson was inconsistent as a passer, he is arguably the most incredible athlete at the quarterback position we have ever seen. He forced 39 missed tackles in 2022.

Day 2: Brents is in the group of long, athletic prospects that the Colts have gravitated to on defense over the past several years. There aren’t too many cornerbacks out there at 6-foot-3 with 34-inch arms and a 42-inch vertical. Brents’ production and grading profile don’t overly impress, but he has traits worth betting on here for Indianapolis.

Downs was WR5 on both the PFF Big Board and the consensus big board but comes off the board here to Indianapolis as WR12. He is undersized, even for the slot, but he is one of the better underneath separators in this class and wins in contested situations over the middle of the field. Downs hauled in 13-of-18 contested targets for UNC in 2022.

Day 3: The Colts need reinforcements along the offensive line and land the 6-foot-8 Freeland, who tested off the charts with 95th percentile or better scores in the vertical jump, broad jump, short shuttle and three-cone. Freeland’s athleticism will be best utilized as a run blocker in space, earning a 90.2 zone blocking grade in 2022, but he will need to improve as a pass protector at the NFL level.

One of the more puzzling fallers of the draft after a ton of buzz following a ridiculous combine performance that was truly one of the best we’ve seen, Adebawore needs refinement at the NFL level and can now develop behind a crop of good defensive linemen with the Colts. Adebawore earned an 80.3 pass-rush grade in 2022 but a lot of that production came from pure athletic advantages. He needs to improve his hand usage and counter moves beyond just speed to power.

Rush, a former high school quarterback and college wide receiver at the start, is an incredible athlete still learning the nuances of the cornerback position. At 6-foot-2 and 198 pounds, Rush ran a 4.36-second 40-yard dash and earned an 80.3 coverage grade in 2022. When he is in position, he has a knack for making plays on the ball, as well. This is the developmental type prospect you look for on Day 3.

Scott graded better in 2021 (81.8) than in 2022 (66.8) but finished strong in his last three games. He’s a versatile and intelligent safety who is capable enough in the slot as well. He’ll add depth to the Colts’ secondary as well as a surefire contributor on special teams.

Mallory offers legitimate receiving ability and not much as a blocker. He’ll give C.J. Stroud a threat up the seam and brings legitimate versatility in the slot. He just needs to become passable in the run game.

Jones is big, strong and young — a good combination of adjectives for a late-round cornerback. He fits best in a Cover 3 scheme and, fortunately, he lands with Colts defensive coordinator Gus Bradley, who runs more Cover 3 than any other defensive play-caller.

Witt is one of the rare prospects who PFF doesn’t have data or grades on, but he came in at 211th overall on our final big board. He’s an athletic tackle — shocking, given Indianapolis’ strategy in this draft — who will be another developmental project for the Colts.

DRAFT GRADE: A+”

cJ Stroud?

I think draft reviews are fun to read and I get to know a little bit more and different perspectives on the incoming rookies. They can't be taken literally or as a true indicator of how they will end up performing but it is fun speculate.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Myles said:

I don't think drafts reviews are very helpful until we see how this turns out.  We can say they get an "A" now but if AR turns out to be a bust this draft could be an "F".  

I'm usually a positive guy but I am looking at what could not work out.  Steichen calling the plays could be a Reich reboot.  I wish he would delegate because i think the coaches are all very good.   Maybe I'm wrong and jim Bob will be calling the plays.  

AR has boom or bust written all over him.

AR has been labelled boom or bust from the very start so you would think that after the entire scouting process that the Colts must see more evidence to suggest he's a boom than a bust. It's common knowledge so you'd like to think that it was a big focal point of discussion before he was drafted.

• Like 1

The Athletic's Dan Brugler ranked the Colts Draft the 2nd best in 2023 only behind the Eagles.

"The Colts and Chris Ballard definitely have a type: big, athletic players with high-end traits (WR Josh Downs must have been a Shane Steichen pick). That focus paid off in this draft class. It started in the first round with Richardson, who brings a level of excitement to an offense that has been stuck on the veteran quarterback carousel. The success likely won’t be immediate, but over time, it will be fun to track his development."

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

The Athletic's Dan Brugler ranked the Colts Draft the 2nd best in 2023 only behind the Eagles.

"The Colts and Chris Ballard definitely have a type: big, athletic players with high-end traits (WR Josh Downs must have been a Shane Steichen pick). That focus paid off in this draft class. It started in the first round with Richardson, who brings a level of excitement to an offense that has been stuck on the veteran quarterback carousel. The success likely won’t be immediate, but over time, it will be fun to track his development."

word on the street is that Reggie stood on the table for Downs.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dobbinblitz said:

Yeah, I’ll give Ballard and company three years if we aren’t winning the division in that time frame Irsay cleans house for sure.