Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Draft Review

BProland85

Overall a very good draft imo from Ballard and his staff. I will say though I still worry about the depth of this OL as he didn't address that area as much as I would have liked, especially at OC and OG. 

That being said, a few of my favorite picks were WR Josh Downs mostly due to where we were able to get him, CB Darius Rush for the same reason, and obviously QB Anthony Richardson as I view him as potentially the best QB of this draft provided he went to the right situation. 

4 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Overall a very good draft imo from Ballard and his staff. I will say though I still worry about the depth of this OL as he didn't address that area as much as I would have liked, especially at OC and OG. 

That being said, a few of my favorite picks were WR Josh Downs mostly due to where we were able to get him, CB Darius Rush for the same reason, and obviously QB Anthony Richardson as I view him as potentially the best QB of this draft provided he went to the right situation. 

Agree... I'm worried about interior OL and Linebacker.

Loved this draft. Could be the best one since 2018 (and 2020 was great). The first two days were brilliant with Richardson, Brents and Downs, and the final day was good at filling depth and (rightfully) tripling up on the CB position.

This draft is an A- right now, if we add Risner on Monday and it was part of the plan, A+.

1 minute ago, Indyfan4life said:

More oline depth. 

OMG! I called it on the draft thread! This is beautiful! Weeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Thanks @BProland85for starting this thread.  I didn't watch any of the draft today. Had other things to do.   I really don't know most of theses guys.   I was hopping for Torrence at 35 and saw Brents was the pick.   I'd never heard of him.  I am not much for college football. 

Anyway.  I am looking forward to the different thoughts on this draft. 

I am still extremely happy we were able to get AR5.      And we don't have to hear about Levis anymore. 

The most positive thing for me was loading up on CBs in a deep CB draft.  3 of them is a nice haul, and maybe one can play S.  Ballard drafted 4 DBs total.

Next most positive is the OT in the 4th.  Looks like a copy cat of Raimann from last year. (Jake Witt fits that description too)  Athletic but needs to get stronger.  I would not be surprised if he gets some PT this season,,,OJT like Raimann.

Next best is AR.  Filled the QB need, but picking that kind of prospect at 4 is a reach for need.  Understandable, but a reach none the less.

The other picks looks like good values at positions of need.

No complaints.

28 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Loved this draft. Could be the best one since 2018 (and 2020 was great). The first two days were brilliant with Richardson, Brents and Downs, and the final day was good at filling depth and (rightfully) tripling up on the CB position.

This draft is an A- right now, if we add Risner on Monday and it was part of the plan, A+.

I love this draft too...love AR and really love Josh Downs...he's going to be special 

30 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Good. I'm worried about interior OL and linebacker.

36 minutes ago, Hoose said:

The draft was strong. But the decision not to draft a G or C was troubling. This was a HUGE need. You have to believe that a vet Guard is on their radar. Or better be. 

My thought is that they want to get one of these guys at RT and slide Smith inside

32 minutes ago, King Colt said:

It was said about Richardson, "There has never been another QB like him" referring to his measurables. That said, now they develop him and after a couple years or maybe even less he could be a real world shaker!

Richardson is like Broly. Wild traits that if developed could make him the best

2 hours ago, Hoose said:

The draft was strong. But the decision not to draft a G or C was troubling. This was a HUGE need. You have to believe that a vet Guard is on their radar. Or better be. 

Hmm! We are 3 deep at C and there is plenty of time to sign or trade for G help. I'm sure we have several candidates on our radar. Smith moving is a possibility.

3 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I think the plan is to go thru draft get some players and get some vets on FA market at oline and corner for cheap 1 year deals. Vets know after the draft market is slimmer, when teams can fill positions with young cheap players so some decent depth will be Available for cheap

Really happy with the draft. Thought Richardson was a great pick, wanted Torrence at 35, but the trade backs and getting JB at 44 was great value. Still not sure how Josh Downs was still around in round 3, but that was a steal. Rush should be very good for us and Freeland could develop into a really nice player. While all that was great, getting Okiyor as a UDFA puts this draft over the top for me. Very well played by Ballard & Co. While it takes a couple years to truly evaluate a draft class, given the facts on the ground on April 29, 2023, the Colts org did a great job.

Archived