Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2nd round Pick hopes...

TimetobringDfence!

I would like to see the Colts snag Mayer. He is a complete TE. Losing Doyle hurt the oline and run game. I think he would help our Ts out and give JT and AR a big boost in the run. Plus he is a great reciever. Giving Nelson one of his alumni my bring a fire to the front. I think CB is the biggest need. So I wouldn't be mad if we went there. Joey Porter Jr. or Micheal Mayer are my choices.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I would like to see the Colts snag Mayer. He is a complete TE. Losing Doyle hurt the oline and run game. I think he would help our Ts out and give JT and AR a big boost in the run. Plus he is a great reciever. Giving Nelson one of his alumni my bring a fire to the front. I think CB is the biggest need. So I wouldn't be mad if we went there. Joey Porter Jr. or Micheal Mayer are my choices.

I figured you would want Dfence :)

18 minutes ago, TheEdgeis1 said:

I agree Porter or Mayer.  Either one and I’m happy.

I am Notre Dame fan so I love Mayer but I just don’t see the Colts going tightend.  They signed one and already had four others, including three drafted in the last two years, on the roster.  It’s probably the deepest position on the roster.  

It's tough not to say OCyrus Torrence. We need a RG, desperately. Cody Mauch? We also need a CB desperately so Kelee Ringo or Porter Jr make a lot of sense. I also want a WR so maybe Mingo or Scott? Lots of options. Unless we're dialed in on a certain position, I'm pretty positive we try and trade down.

I’d love Porter Jr but there is a very good chance he goes before the Colts pick, maybe as soon as 32 to the Steelers.  If I were Ballard I’d seriously consider trading up to get him.

No matter what there is going to be Porter, Ringo, Mauch, or Torrance there at 35 so the Colts should get a very good player that fills a major need.  They may even explore moving back a little bit depending how things go tomorrow.

Honestly looking at the best available list if Porter goes to the Steelers (which I think he will) I fully expect Ballard to trade back at 35.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft/bestavailable

It’ll be interesting to see if someone wants to come up to get someone like Levis or Hooker.  If they do the Colts could be a willing trade partner.

I'm no expert on the subject, but not sure that either Porter or Ringo is a great fit for our D scheme. Can anyone elaborate why or why not? I too think Brents is the pick at CB in 2nd round, and/or maybe D. Rush or J. Bennett in later rounds? 

I would also be happy with Ballard's choice of OG in 2nd. I like Mauch. Or even better, a trade back, and get both Mauch, then Tippman later, all with the same pick.

I agree that TE isn't a big need, but Mayer or D. Washington would be a great add!

Considering who is left, I think we wait a round (or 4) before drafting a WR. I could see Tyler Scott in the 3rd-5th. Ballard finally drafted a QB early; now he can finally draft a small, speedy WR! He could start in the slot & hopefully develop into a Z.

It's hard to say what Ballard will actually do though. It wouldn't be surprising if he drafted a DT I've barely heard of. 

We need secondary help badly so if Porter is there it's almost a no brainer to me.

Mayer and Washington have great potential but I like our TE room already and they look like more of the same as what we already have.

Given our situation and what we're trying to do though, I think Joe Tippmann makes an enormous amount of sense if Porter has gone. Could play Guard and gives us long term and short term cover at Center if Kelly continues to regress. He looks like a Colt type lineman to me.

I’ve got 23 names that I think would be on our Day 2 Wish list.  4 position groups. 

CB

Porter

Ringo

Brents

T. Smith

C. Smith

T. Stevenson

TE

Mayer

Washington

Musgrave

IOL

Torrence

Avila

Mauch

Schmitz

Tippman

Bergeron

Zavala

WR

Hyatt

Downs

Scott

Mims

Dell

Mingo

Tillman

I think the Coltsvwill try to trade down.   Maybe even twice?    If we can get another third so that would be three Day Two picks for the Colts I think it would be a huge win for Ballard and Steichen. 

I think if Torrence is there, we take him at 35. If he goes before us, I think we trade down honestly. A lot of the prospects in round 2 are at a position of need in about the same talent group. I would guess we trade down 6-8 spots and pick up a 4th this year or a 3rd next year.

Trading down to likely net an extra 4th is probably the most likely. 

I doubt we can get an extra 3 out of it unless we move wayyyyyyy down. But still, this second round is deeeeep.

If we just stay and pick, my top priorities in order would likely be:

Kelee Ringo

John Michael Schmitz

Dawand Jones

Brian Branch

Joey Porter Jr

Cody Mauch

O'Cyrus Torrence

Julius Brents

Michael Mayer

Matt Bergeron

Steve Avila

Jonathan Mingo

That is a minimum of 12 guys deep that i would put a low 1st or high 2nd round grade on and be super happy to get.

So if we can move back 5-10 picks and net an extra 4th I would be psyched....provided we still landed one of those 12 guys or so. 

I would have bet dollars to doughnuts that the Colts would trade down from #35 to mid-second and acquire another 3rd Rd pick.  There is plenty of talent there to do so but they may have a hard time passing up Ringo.  The Colts love him. He fits their scheme. He’s more ready to play now than Brents.  Ringo was also scouted by Morroco Brown. 

4 hours ago, DynaMike said:

I'm no expert on the subject, but not sure that either Porter or Ringo is a great fit for our D scheme. Can anyone elaborate why or why not? I too think Brents is the pick at CB in 2nd round, and/or maybe D. Rush or J. Bennett in later rounds? 

I would also be happy with Ballard's choice of OG in 2nd. I like Mauch. Or even better, a trade back, and get both Mauch, then Tippman later, all with the same pick.

I agree that TE isn't a big need, but Mayer or D. Washington would be a great add!

Considering who is left, I think we wait a round (or 4) before drafting a WR. I could see Tyler Scott in the 3rd-5th. Ballard finally drafted a QB early; now he can finally draft a small, speedy WR! He could start in the slot & hopefully develop into a Z.

It's hard to say what Ballard will actually do though. It wouldn't be surprising if he drafted a DT I've barely heard of. 

I would love to see us trade down from 4 to around 10, pick up a high 4th and select whoever is left from:

Cody Mauch-T or OG (Mauler)

O'Cyrus Torrence-OG (HUGE)

Joey Porter Jr.-CB

Brian Branch-CB

Kelee Ringo-CB

Mayer-TE

Darnell Washington-TE

Jalin Hyatt-WR (Blazing Speed)

BJ Ojulari-Edge

Keion White _Edge

There's enough talent left that we would get a stud no matter what, at a position of need.

1 hour ago, ColtJax said:

I would love to see us trade down from 4 to around 10, pick up a high 4th and select whoever is left from:

Cody Mauch-T or OG (Mauler)

O'Cyrus Torrence-OG (HUGE)

Joey Porter Jr.-CB

Brian Branch-CB

Kelee Ringo-CB

Mayer-TE

Darnell Washington-TE

Jalin Hyatt-WR (Blazing Speed)

BJ Ojulari-Edge

Keion White _Edge

There's enough talent left that we would get a stud no matter what, at a position of need.

Those all look like good options!

7 hours ago, TheEdgeis1 said:

I agree Porter or Mayer.  Either one and I’m happy.

pitt are det  take  Porter or Mayer.   we need RG   ol sucks .  O'Cyrus Torrence 

Pre-Draft Analysis

Torrence, one of the most dominant interior offensive linemen in the country last season, has excellent size and consistently gets movement in the run game. He latches on with his big hands and controls defensive linemen while moving laterally as zone blocker. He doesn't change directions well, but he has good length and a powerful punch. Torrence rarely gives ground as a pass protector.

IMO, surround the kid with as much talent as we can get on O.  Including FAs.  Do everything possible to ensure his success.  

Even to the detriment of the D, if it comes down to that choice on players.

Work on D next year.  

5 hours ago, tvturner said:

Hoping for a trade down

If not:

CBs:

Julius Brents

Kelee Ringo

Joey Porter

OL:

Steve Avila

O'Cyrus Torrence

Joe Tippman

Receivers:

Jonathan Mingo

Jalin Hyatt

Tyler Scott

Michael Mayer

This is where my head’s at, too.  If I had my druthers, the next two players would be CB and OL, in either order.  But we can get a great option at either of those spots 10-15 picks later, netting us another 3rd…

17 minutes ago, colts52761 said:

trade back,  then take  Steve Avila. He can play guard or center.

He’s my guy for the 2nd too…

6 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I think if Torrence is there, we take him at 35. If he goes before us, I think we trade down honestly. A lot of the prospects in round 2 are at a position of need in about the same talent group. I would guess we trade down 6-8 spots and pick up a 4th this year or a 3rd next year.

I think brents the indy native is the target. I would love hyatt though. Him paired with richardson arm would be like Luck to hilton or manning to harrison

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’ve got 23 names that I think would be on our Day 2 Wish list.  4 position groups. 

CB

Porter

Ringo

Brents

T. Smith

C. Smith

T. Stevenson

TE

Mayer

Washington

Musgrave

IOL

Torrence

Avila

Mauch

Schmitz

Tippman

Bergeron

Zavala

WR

Hyatt

Downs

Scott

Mims

Dell

Mingo

Tillman

I think the Coltsvwill try to trade down.   Maybe even twice?    If we can get another third so that would be three Day Two picks for the Colts I think it would be a huge win for Ballard and Steichen. 

That’s a great list NCF. Everyone including me is calling for corner, but we know how much Ballard emphasizes the trenches. I could see us taking Tippmann or Avila to start day one at RG but also offer center flexibility. Offensive line has to be up to par with Anderson in our division now. I’m hoping they can trade down and still get Brents, and then trade up in round 3 to get a guard.

Also wouldn’t be surprised to see an edge rusher go. You have CJ Stroud to deal with twice a year now.

I'd love for the Colts to get Mayer as he would be the stud TE they've been lacking that can both block and catch.

That said, I'd be surprised if they take him.  

I'd expect a CB or OL pick to start Rd 2.

I see us trading back in the 2nd and pick up a 3rd. When it is our turn there will be some guys like Porter or Mayer or Washington to name a few that some teams will be drooling over  that they thought would be gone in the 1st that they will want bad enough to give up a later 2nd and 3rd. We need a lot and If we had 3 picks in the round 2 and 3 we can get a CB, WR and IOL that would help tremendously.

9 hours ago, Aces101 said:

O’Cyrus Torrence to stabilize the OL

I could see that with the AR connection, but the average RAS (6.14) doesn't really make him a Ballard target. I'd guess Steve Avila or Cody Mauch. Maybe Wypler or John Michael Schmitz even if his RAS (7.89) puts him out of Ballard range. It's IOL or CB even if I'm hoping against hope we take Darnell Washington.

Most of all I think Ballard trades back from 35.

Archived