Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2nd round Pick hopes...

TimetobringDfence!

30 minutes ago, Hoose said:

If you put any stock into the RAS scores and line them up with the Colts' needs, you get some interesting guys to watch tonight and into Day 3. Granted, the RAS score isn't the end all, be all of grading a player, but we do know that Ballard keeps a sharp eye on that stat in the Draft. 

NAME                                                           RAS SCORE

1. Zach Kuntz, TE                                                10.00

2. Julius Brents, CB                                                9.99   

3. Darnell Washington, TE                                     9.88

4. YaYa Diaby, DE                                                   9.87

5. Jonathan Mingo, WR                                         9.87

6. Blake Freeland, OT                                             9.83

7. Darius Rush, CB                                                 9.80

8. Cam Smith, CB                                                   9.69

9. Jon Gaines, G                                                     9.69

10. Isaiah Foskey, DE                                             9.61

11. Michael Wilson, WR                                         9.55

12. Rashee Rice, WR                                              9.53

13. Marvin Mims, WR                                            9.41

14. Cody Mauch, OT                                              9.33

15. Luke Wypler, C/G                                             9.31

16. Sam LaPorta, TE                                               9.02

I'm looking at Brents, Diaby, Mingo, Freeland, Rush, Gaines, Rice, Mauch and Wypler as the players to watch from this group. 

You forgot:

Cory Trice Jr., CB,  at 9.65.

Sidy Sow, OG, at 9.72

I feel like CB and IOL is where we're at in the 2nd round.

I've done a few (embarrassingly many really haha) pff.com mock draft simulations by now and most of the top IOL players seem to go in the 2nd - Torrence, Avila, Mauch, Wypler, Tippman.

Gaines and Sow can be had later, though, and Ballard hinted good talent could be found in the later rounds at the IOL positions...

John Michael Schmitz, OC, at 7.89 - did really well at the senior bowl. He's a 2nd rounder too though.

Olusegun Oluwatimi, OC, at 7.86 - has been talked about as well. Can be had in the later rounds.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

You forgot:

Cory Trice Jr., CB,  at 9.65.

Sidy Sow, OG, at 9.72

I feel like CB and IOL is where we're at in the 2nd round.

I've done a few (embarrassingly many really haha) pff.com mock draft simulations by now and most of the top IOL players seem to go in the 2nd - Torrence, Avila, Mauch, Wypler, Tippman.

Gaines and Sow can be had later, though, and Ballard hinted good talent could be found in the later rounds at the IOL positions...

I'm with you on CB and IOL. There are starters there for the taking tonight. Smart drafting can nab two of them. I'm especially focused upon Brents. You'd think he would still be there after a prudent, small trade down from pick 35, but its a risk. How badly do you want that extra pick? Ballard loves 'em, so.............expect a trade. 

26 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I wonder if a longterm QB needy team would be willing to deal a 2024 1st for the Colts 35th overall pick to get a Levis or Hooker. 

Whether or not the compensation is a first round pick, you know the Steelers have been fielding offers all day. If Levis is still there at 35, someone has to come knocking. I wouldn't expect a first rounder, but if its just a short move down, like with the Saints, for ex., they could get a 3rd round pick out of it. And that would be big. 

23 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I'm with you on CB and IOL. There are starters there for the taking tonight. Smart drafting can nab two of them. I'm especially focused upon Brents. You'd think he would still be there after a prudent, small trade down from pick 35, but its a risk. How badly do you want that extra pick? Ballard loves 'em, so.............expect a trade. 

I think there's a pretty big chance of Ballard trading back to the early mid 40s and picking up an extra 3rd or 4th - he does love them picks.

I could see something like:

• Brents in the 2nd and Gaines/Sow/Saldiveri later
  • Torrence/Avila/JMS/Tippmann in the 2nd and Rush or Trice in the 3rd
  • I secretly hope Washington in the 2nd, Rush/Trice in the 3rd and Gaines/Sow/Saldiveri later

45 minutes ago, Hoose said:

If you put any stock into the RAS scores and line them up with the Colts' needs, you get some interesting guys to watch tonight and into Day 3. Granted, the RAS score isn't the end all, be all of grading a player, but we do know that Ballard keeps a sharp eye on that stat in the Draft. 

I'm looking at Brents, Diaby, Mingo, Freeland, Rush, Gaines, Rice, Mauch and Wypler as the players to watch from this group. 

I'm a little surprised that Brents is so high. If I read NFL.com correctly, he ran a 4.53 40. That's not great for a corner. And we've gone for faster corners recently. Rodgers is fast as hell and I think Flowers is very fast too.

Second thought. I like Darnell Washington but sometimes, I think, the RAS scores show traits that don't always add up to the sum of their parts. He's talented, but lumbering. And Jonathon Mingo didn't get much separation in the vids I saw and THAT was in college.

I like Mims and Tyler Scott a LOT more. Tyler Scott is damn good. AND a deep threat with speed...

52 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I like Gaines too.  He plays C, but he's not a round 2 pick.  I prefer the Corner in round 2 and Gaines later.

12 hours ago, CheezyColt said:

It's tough not to say OCyrus Torrence. We need a RG, desperately. Cody Mauch? We also need a CB desperately so Kelee Ringo or Porter Jr make a lot of sense. I also want a WR so maybe Mingo or Scott? Lots of options. Unless we're dialed in on a certain position, I'm pretty positive we try and trade down.

CB is deeper in starting talent than. iOL ..... Take a RG or trade back a little and take one....then get a CB in the third.  There are even a lot of archetype CB corners.....slower big tall rangy guys....

2 hours ago, Gigc said:

I also like the trade back idea if there isn't a first round type at 35. But I was checking over each teams remaining picks last night and there weren't many with extra 3s...

You likely aren't getting much of a third rounder in a trade without dropping far back.....so take a lighter trade and slip less far back for a fourth.....

7 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

CB is deeper in starting talent than. iOL ..... Take a RG or trade back a little and take one....then get a CB in the third.  There are even a lot of archetype CB corners.....slower big tall rangy guys....

I'd be leery of taking a guard with a premium pick.  We have used a lot of high picks on guards and safties.  Sure would love to get a long term solution to a premium position for once.  

13 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I would like to see the Colts snag Mayer. He is a complete TE. Losing Doyle hurt the oline and run game. I think he would help our Ts out and give JT and AR a big boost in the run. Plus he is a great reciever. Giving Nelson one of his alumni my bring a fire to the front. I think CB is the biggest need. So I wouldn't be mad if we went there. Joey Porter Jr. or Micheal Mayer are my choices.

That's who I also want, the TE from Notre Dame.

I think Ballard will instead address OL & CB. 

But I think rookie QBs best friends are TE's. 

10 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I would like to see the Colts snag Mayer. He is a complete TE. Losing Doyle hurt the oline and run game. I think he would help our Ts out and give JT and AR a big boost in the run. Plus he is a great reciever. Giving Nelson one of his alumni my bring a fire to the front. I think CB is the biggest need. So I wouldn't be mad if we went there. Joey Porter Jr. or Micheal Mayer are my choices.

I think TE is the one position the Colts do not need to draft.  Joey Porter Jr. is my hope.  

I have my eye on Mathew Bergeron.  He would immediately be the best tackle on our team.  An elite run blocker, he showed great feet in drills.  He reminds me of Andrew Whitworth.  We could solve our two biggest thorns, QB and LT in one draft.  Bergeron is not a guard, and Raimann would be great bench depth.

7 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Can't go wrong with a G or CB. I just feel like Mayer I'd on a different level. If we are going to be an RPO team an elite blocking TE will be a foundation for that scheme. 

52 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I wouldn't take a TE in the 2nd. Mayer will be good, but value-wise, I think getting a guy like Payne Durham in the 3rd or 4th would be ideal. He's a great blocking TE, whose comp is Jack Doyle. That would allow us to go after a more premium position like CB in the 2nd.

Just now, Shive said:

I wouldn't take a TE in the 2nd. Mayer will be good, but value-wise, I think getting a guy like Payne Durham in the 3rd or 4th would be ideal. He's a great blocking TE, whose comp is Jack Doyle. That would allow us to go after a more premium position like CB in the 2nd.

I don’t see them drafting a tightend at all.  They signed one plus they already had four (including three drafted in the past two years) already on the roster.  I think it’s the deepest position on the roster.

As a Notre Dame fan would I love for the Colts to end up with Mayer?  Yes.  Do I think it’s what’s best for the Colts?  No.

1 hour ago, DiogoSales said:

I just hope Levis is there at 35 and someone calls..

Too many holes and too many good players.. Would not hurt add 1 more choice on the top 120

Agreed deal down, get an extra 3rd, and still land a corner like Cam Smith or Tyrique Stevenson.

27 minutes ago, sb41champs said:

My wish list is short & sweet:  Joey Porter Jr - who brings both pedigree - AND - a fantastic skill set!!

The knock on him is that he lacks twitch, so he's slow to transition, then gets grabby.  Rock Ya Sin ish.

Feels like a good trade back spot to aquire another pick with the high potential to still land a top guy on their board. CB feels like the most likely pick here to me personally. After that OL, then possibly a WR. Chris does seem to be high on this TE group, but I personally think we have a pretty nice TE room with Ogletree getting back in the fold. 

2 hours ago, RunTheBall said:

I have my eye on Mathew Bergeron.  He would immediately be the best tackle on our team.  An elite run blocker, he showed great feet in drills.  He reminds me of Andrew Whitworth.  We could solve our two biggest thorns, QB and LT in one draft.  Bergeron is not a guard, and Raimann would be great bench depth.

Bergeron can play guard.  In fact that is his projected position in the NFL.  BR today has him ranked as the No 2 guard available tonight behind Avila.  He can definitely play tackle so he would be a player to add with some flexibility.  I hope we get him tonight.

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Bergeron can play guard.  In fact that is his projected position in the NFL.  BR today has him ranked as the No 2 guard available tonight behind Avila.  He can definitely play tackle so he would be a player to add with some flexibility.  I hope we get him tonight.

We will trade down about 5-10 spots and can still get a good RT/OG, that is what I expect happening.

I'm really hoping CB and iOL are deep enough to where we can go sorta more luxury at 35 with TE or WR.. or even trade back and go TE/WR with the first pick.. and then still snag starters at those positions. Are they you think? What would that look like best case scenario?

2 minutes ago, 07dleigh said:

I'm really hoping CB and iOL are deep enough to where we can go sorta more luxury at 35 with TE or WR.. or even trade back and go TE/WR with the first pick.. and then still snag starters at those positions. Are they you think? What would that look like best case scenario?

But don't get me wrong, I know CB/OL are substantially more needed than another TE at this point in time. Just wondering if we could finesse it.

3 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

Rams had no 1st round pick and have only 1 qb on entire roster...this screams Levis to me.

Rams take Hendon hooker whos better overall and just a better fit.

Levis has ruined his draft with nude photos and a bad attitude, so dont be suprised if he drops to round 3

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t see them drafting a tightend at all.  They signed one plus they already had four (including three drafted in the past two years) already on the roster.  I think it’s the deepest position on the roster.

As a Notre Dame fan would I love for the Colts to end up with Mayer?  Yes.  Do I think it’s what’s best for the Colts?  No.

I am coming at it more from a position of supporting Richardson. Ogeltree coming back from injury. They need a tightend on this roster that could do more than run. None of th guys on the roster can block. We r now building this team based on Richardson's skill set.  Love Washington.

6 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Irsay trying to get another team to take Levis in front of us, or trade with us in a trade-up.

Yea, there's no way we take QB in the 1st and 2nd. I think it's purely smoke/trolling by Irsay.

Archived