Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Best Colt all time

jvan1973

Who is the greatest Colt of all time not named Manning or Unitas?

Lots of great options.    I became a fan when the team moved to Indy.    In the early days I loved Jack Trudeau,  Bill Brooks,  Jeff Herod, Pat Beach.

But I think my favorite non QB is Robert Mathis.    A later round guy that was a stud.   The guy brought it every game.      

So many good options to choose from.   Just trying to get the conversation off the draft picks.  

I don't think there is a wrong answer

57 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Lots of great options.    I became a fan when the team moved to Indy.    In the early days I loved Jack Trudeau,  Bill Brooks,  Jeff Herod, Pat Beach.

But I think my favorite non QB is Robert Mathis.    A later round guy that was a stud.   The guy brought it every game.      

So many good options to choose from.   Just trying to get the conversation off the draft picks.  

My all-time favorite is Reggie Wayne.  Was fortunate enough to be in Miami for the Colts v. Bears Super Bowl in my Reggie jersey.

I would break this up into eras. 

Baltimore Colts up to 72:   They are all in the HOF 1950's - 1972. I would sprinkle in guys  like Mike Curtis, Tom Matte, Ted Hendricks Tom Mitchell, Logan and  Volk in secondary......

Baltimore Colts 72 until move to Indy: Bert Jones, Llydell Mitchell, Roger Carr, Raymond Chester,  Colts D-Line

Indy Colts (Manning era): Manning, EDGE, Harrison, Wayne, Dallas Clark, Bob Sanders, Freeney, Mathis, Saturday, Vinitari...... 

Indy Colts (post Manning): Luck, Hilton, Leonard, our current running backs, 

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Marvin Harrison.

Talent and impact wise, Indy Colts, Edge and Harrison on offense.

Defense Bob Sanders, he missed a lot of time, but when he played, we looked like a entirely different team.

Didn't follow the Colts in Baltimore so I'll trust everyone who did to list those guys

Gotta go with Johnny Unitas, He was Manning before Manning

Lenny Moore

Only NFL Player to have at least 40 rushing TDs, and 40 receiving TDs.

He was ranked 71st of the Sporting News top 100 players. He made the 1950's All Decade Team.  He threw a key block when Alan Ameche scored the winning TD in the 58 OT Championship Game.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenny_Moore

Moore scored a touchdown in an NFL-record 18 consecutive appearances starting in 1963 and continuing through the entire 1964 season, ending in 1965. This record stood for 40 years until being equaled by LaDainian Tomlinson in 2005.[6] Because his streak was interrupted by a five-game absence due to injury in 1963, he does not hold the NFL's official record for consecutive games rushing for a touchdown.

Gotta go Reggie Reggie Reggie Wayne here. He was the heart and soul of the team and even took time to toss a few balls with some of the guys in my unit as the unit was having their deployment departure ceremony back in 08

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

My all-time favorite is Reggie Wayne.  Was fortunate enough to be in Miami for the Colts v. Bears Super Bowl in my Reggie jersey.

I wasn't at the game unfortunately but I was there for the NFL EXPERIENCE. 

Fun !!!

I still have a very lite throw from there. 

Gosh, its approaching 15 years old. 

QB. Bert Jones, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck, Johnny Unitas

RB:  Edge, Marshal Faulk, Eric Dickerson, Lidell Mitchel

WR:  Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Roger Car

TE:  Dallas Clark John Mackey, Jack Doyle

OL:  Chris Hinton, Tarik Glen, Jeff Saturday,  Quentin Nelson

Joseph

Ken Dilger was a favorite of mine. Played TE as a kid. Dilger was Dallas Clark before we even knew what a Dallas Clark was.

Roosevelt Potts was another rando favorite. Maybe romanticizing him as a child, but dude always got the tough yards. He left and that was it.

But probably Marshall Faulk was the most bad*** of them all. I'd still take him over LaDainian Tomlinson. Still have all his rookie cards I ever collected as a kid.

Jeff Saturday. Got to see what kind of person he was when the spotlight was not on. I worked 12 years security duty with the Colts during training camp (worked for the college not the team officially) and watched how he treated the fans. He was the leader of the O-line and made those guys stop and sign autographs all the time. Some of them would moan and groan but he felt a responsibility in supporting those who supported the team. Actually the Colts had several good guys like that. The only one I can think of I really didn't care for was Mike Vanderjagt. But that is a different story.

5 hours ago, jskinnz said:

I loved Reggie. But then he tried to go to New England, then went on to say on nfln that he wished he had a hof wr to play beside him, that made me mad. Dude had Marvin, smh. 

43 minutes ago, Believe blue1306 said:

I loved Reggie. But then he tried to go to New England, then went on to say on nfln that he wished he had a hof wr to play beside him, that made me mad. Dude had Marvin, smh. 

First of all he only tried to go to New England after the Colts said they didn’t want him anymore.  As much as it hurt to see it was the right call on the Colts part.  You can’t blame Reggie for going to another team after the Colts said thanks but no thanks.

I think Reggie said the latter referring to his time with the Colts after Marvin.  Whenever asked about Marvin he speaks very highly of him.

Gino Marchetti. No, I never saw him play. But he was "the man" even on Johnny U's team. First of the modern pass rushers, named on the the NFL's 50th, 75th and 100th anniversary's all time teams. Broke his ankle getting the key third down stop in the 58 title game and THEN refused to leave the sideline, to watch Unitas lead the winning drive, straining to see from his stretcher. 9 time all pro.11 pro bowls.

6 hours ago, jskinnz said:

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

Gotta go Reggie Reggie Reggie Wayne here. He was the heart and soul of the team and even took time to toss a few balls with some of the guys in my unit as the unit was having their deployment departure ceremony back in 08

Amen, my brothers. Reggie was the embodiment of a Colt player. 

50 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

First of all he only tried to go to New England after the Colts said they didn’t want him anymore.  As much as it hurt to see it was the right call on the Colts part.  You can’t blame Reggie for going to another team after the Colts said thanks but no thanks.

I think Reggie said the latter referring to his time with the Colts after Marvin.  Whenever asked about Marvin he speaks very highly of him.

I am glad you posted this because I almost did. When Reggie said he wished he would've had another Hall of Famer by his side, he was talking about the Luck days when he played. I remember when he said that and seen him say it. He was praising Hilton but Hilton was young then when Reggie was older. The New England thing doesn't even bother me, the Colts were the one's that let him go, not Reggie's fault. Reggie never played a regular season game with them anyway.

Lol before I read the first sentence I scrolled down and was appalled that I didn’t see Manning as number 1. Then I re read it and realized why lol. I would have to say 88 Marvin Harrison.  It’s a really tough question and one that can have many right answers. 

Archived