Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jacob Eason Comps

So I am super pumped for the Eason pick. He seems to have a chip on his shoulder and is ready to learn and work. I think sitting behind Rivers and JB in 2020 and then potentially Rivers in 2021 is perfect for him. His biggest issues were maturity. With Rivers, Brissett, Reich and Siranni working with him, the sky is the limit. 

My question is who do you see him being the most like. The best comp I think I heard is a higher ceiling, bigger Jay Cutler. I think that is pretty spot on and I would take it. I’m bias, I must admit I love me some Jay Cutty. 

What do y’all think. 

Honestly, taking away the mental side and just talking physical attributes, he’s a lot like Rivers. The question is does he have the fire and the will that Rivers does. Rivers is the ultimate competitor and also puts in the work needed to get better. Can Eason do the same is the big question mark!

1 hour ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

So I am super pumped for the Eason pick. He seems to have a chip on his shoulder and is ready to learn and work. I think sitting behind Rivers and JB in 2020 and then potentially Rivers in 2021 is perfect for him. His biggest issues were maturity. With Rivers, Brissett, Reich and Siranni working with him, the sky is the limit. 

My question is who do you see him being the most like. The best comp I think I heard is a higher ceiling, bigger Jay Cutler. I think that is pretty spot on and I would take it. I’m bias, I must admit I love me some Jay Cutty. 

What do y’all think. 

Flacco.

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Joe Flacco comes to mind which is above average/borderline good for his career. He won a SB and many playoff games. 

I'm hoping for so much more than a Shane Falco comparison but after reading many opinions on this board I guess I would be grateful for any kind of success.  I'm trying to compare a prior qb to the arm that Eason has & coming up blank?  It's not everyday 6'6", 231 with a 62mph fastball is available but when it does, make sure you jump on it!  Did you see the spin on that dart?

Here are some.

Height wise: 6’ 5” and taller 

Carson Wentz

Philip Rivers

Big Ben

Blake Bortles

Cam Newton

Carson Palmer

Drew Bledsoe

Vinnie Testaverde  

Derek Anderson

Matt Schaub

Nick Foles

Scott Mitchell

Joe Flacco

Ryan Mallet

Jamarcus Russell

Josh Freeman

Marc Wilson 

Brock Osweiller

My first instinct was Ryan Mallet but I hope he’s a better version.

8 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

What do y’all think. 

Johnny Unitus

I know I will probably get blasted for this, especially on this forum...but the QB he reminds me most of is Jacob Eason.

Ceiling - Jacob Eason

Floor - Jacob Eason

But I think when it's all said and done, he will have a career like Jacob Eason.

10 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

What do y’all think. 

Oh I hope not.   I've never liked Cutler on the field.   Made a career off of potential.   Would show flashes but then go back to being an INT machine.  Losing record for his career.  Career passer rating of 85.  

15 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

What do y’all think. 

Why do you think this?

Brock Osweiler <= Eason < Jeff George

Closest to Osweiler, not as good as Jeff George.  Hard to say at this point, but honestly, I don't see Eason beating out Chad Kelly (if Kelly is given a chance with the Colts in 2020).

Are we comparing potential? Or his play style on the field. I don’t see the Drew Bledsoe comp, he threw more from the side like Stafford and Rivers. 

Throwing motion is similar to Cutler in a way, but Jays non throwing arm was always much lower to his waist. 

As others have stated, his happy feet footwork seems similar to Manning’s. Which isn’t always a bad thing as it allows you to always be ready to set your feet and throw. I’ve also seen some footage where Eason barely moves his feet at all ala Brady. 

I want Eason to reach his potential as much as anyone but I think many have unrealistic expectations for him. If Eason turns out as good as guys like Flacco and Cutler he will have outplayed his draft position at a historic level.

QBs are rarely underdrafted. From a historical perspective QBs not picked in the first round who are successful starters have a reason for being overlooked. For example:

- Tom Brady (Michigan had a strange QB situation IIRC)

- Kurt Warner, Tony Romo, Jimmy G (overlooked played at smaller schools)

- Drew Brees and Russel Wilson (undersized)

Jacob is known to have the physical tools, nice arm talent, but is said to have a poor work ethic. Not the type of QB prospect that has historically outplayed where they are drafted. 

Super Bowl quarterbacks since 2000 and where they were drafted are below. Yes, exception in there as far as non round 1 QBs go but for the most part reasons why they got overlooked.

Aaron Rodgers (Round 1 Pick 24)

Ben Roethlisberger (Round 1 Pick 11

Brad Johnson (Round 9 Pick 227)

Cam Newton (Round 1 Pick 1)

Colin Kaepernick (Round 2 Pick 36)

Donovan McNabb (Round 1 Pick 2)

Drew Brees (Round.2 Pick 32)

Eli Manning (Round 1 Pick 1)

Jake Delhomme (Undrafted)

Jared Goff (Round 1 Pick 1)

Jimmy Garoppolo (Round 2 Pick 62)

Joe Flacco (Round 1 Pick 18)

Kerry Collins (Round 1, Pick 5)

Kurt Warner (Undrafted)

Matt Hasselbeck (Round 6 Pick 187)

Matt Ryan (Round 1 Pick 3)

Nick Foles (Round 3 Pick 88)

Patrick Mahomes (Round 1 Pick 10)

Peyton Manning (Round 1 Pick 1)

Rex Grossman (Round 1, Pick 22)

Rich Gannon (Round 4, Pick 98)

Russell Wilson (Round 3, Pick 75)

Tom Brady (Round 6, Pick 199)

Trent Dilfer (Round 1, Pick 6)

When Ballard said that he has to beat out Chad Kelly for the 3rd QB spot I don't think it was just about trying to motivate Eason. I think the Colts, despite drafting him, have serious doubts about him and he very well might not make the team. They are rolling the dice and seeing what happens but Eason has a ton to prove. 

I just think we should pump the brakes and have more realistic expectations about Eason.

11 minutes ago, HectorRoberts said:

I believe he is a good comparison to myself except you Know tall, young, athletic, good at football, and in shape... but besides those few differences pretty close!Bill Murray GIF by Groundhog Day

I used to be just like Eason until the ....accident.O.o 

1 hour ago, ar7 said:

When Ballard said that he has to beat out Chad Kelly for the 3rd QB spot I don't think it was just about trying to motivate Eason. I think the Colts, despite drafting him, have serious doubts about him and he very well might not make the team. They are rolling the dice and seeing what happens but Eason has a ton to prove. 

So you think Ballard drafted Eason (or any player for that matter) and has serious doubts about him making the roster? 

I don't buy that for one second.

What Ballard said about Eason is standard GM/coach speak. 

1 hour ago, ar7 said:

I want Eason to reach his potential as much as anyone but I think many have unrealistic expectations for him. If Eason turns out as good as guys like Flacco and Cutler he will have outplayed his draft position at a historic level.

QBs are rarely underdrafted. From a historical perspective QBs not picked in the first round who are successful starters have a reason for being overlooked. For example:

- Tom Brady (Michigan had a strange QB situation IIRC)

- Kurt Warner, Tony Romo, Jimmy G (overlooked played at smaller schools)

- Drew Brees and Russel Wilson (undersized)

Jacob is known to have the physical tools, nice arm talent, but is said to have a poor work ethic. Not the type of QB prospect that has historically outplayed where they are drafted. 

Super Bowl quarterbacks since 2000 and where they were drafted are below. Yes, exception in there as far as non round 1 QBs go but for the most part reasons why they got overlooked.

Aaron Rodgers (Round 1 Pick 24)

Ben Roethlisberger (Round 1 Pick 11

Brad Johnson (Round 9 Pick 227)

Cam Newton (Round 1 Pick 1)

Colin Kaepernick (Round 2 Pick 36)

Donovan McNabb (Round 1 Pick 2)

Drew Brees (Round.2 Pick 32)

Eli Manning (Round 1 Pick 1)

Jake Delhomme (Undrafted)

Jared Goff (Round 1 Pick 1)

Jimmy Garoppolo (Round 2 Pick 62)

Joe Flacco (Round 1 Pick 18)

Kerry Collins (Round 1, Pick 5)

Kurt Warner (Undrafted)

Matt Hasselbeck (Round 6 Pick 187)

Matt Ryan (Round 1 Pick 3)

Nick Foles (Round 3 Pick 88)

Patrick Mahomes (Round 1 Pick 10)

Peyton Manning (Round 1 Pick 1)

Rex Grossman (Round 1, Pick 22)

Rich Gannon (Round 4, Pick 98)

Russell Wilson (Round 3, Pick 75)

Tom Brady (Round 6, Pick 199)

Trent Dilfer (Round 1, Pick 6)

I just think we should pump the brakes and have more realistic expectations about Eason.

Well if that follows him to the pro's Ballard wont put up with it.

Archived