Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts claim K Chase McLaughlin (Niners)

Mr.Debonair

1 hour ago, Superman said:

So I've seen this a lot, including comments from the broadcast team during the game. Do people believe that AV had a bad game against the Titans?

He missed a 55 yarder. Then two kicks got blocked. I don't think that was a bad game by AV.

And I think this waiver claim is a matter of circumstance, not an indication that they're done with AV and he won't kick anymore this year. The Niners waived a guy who has looked pretty good because Robbie Gould is back. The timing is coincidental, IMO.

AV will get to 600 with the Colts, this year. 

Edit: By the way, the Colts wanted to sign McLaughlin to the PS earlier this year. 

2nd block was not his fault.  The first one definitely was.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, stitches said:

It might be a head start to transition to McLaughlin for next year. They regularly do this in the last part of the season - claim players they like for next year without playing them much the current season. Glowinski is one example. Jonathan Williams is another. 

Get him in the building and let him learn a thing or two from the GOAT, when it comes to preparation, small tricks of the trade, etc. And then make him the kicker going forward when Vinny retires in the off-season.

I hear what you're saying, but it would be pretty unusual to do that with a kicker.  

1 hour ago, Superman said:

The Niners had two kickers active for the last month, due to injury.

We'll see if a move comes, and maybe it does, but I bet AV kicks this week. And the bigger point is that the timing of this move was dictated by the Niners, not the Colts. If they wanted to move on from AV, they could have at any point this season. To me, they claimed a player they wanted, doesn't mean they're ready to shelve AV. 

Again, I could be wrong. 

I believe you are most likely correct.

Still...glad they made a move on a young kicker with potential.  I remember him from the Monday nighter against Seattle.  Hit a 45 yarder at the end of regulation to send the game into overtime but missed a chance to win it game in OT.  The game commentator out right said that he choked under the game pressure.  But I thought the young guy did alright all things considered. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If he has been dealing with a injury all year that has made his FG kicking bad it’s really the colts fault for letting this go on so long. 

I suspect the mangling of Luck's retirement influenced the way the 2019 Vinatieri situation was handled, and in the end, nothing worked.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, #12. said:

I hear what you're saying, but it would be pretty unusual to do that with a kicker.  

I think we should have learned this year that a kicker is very important. As a matter of fact several teams around the league have had problems. Glad they got him now and possibly won't have to use a draft choice on a kicker this year and most importantly:D, kept him away from the Pats!

• Like 3

https://www.1075thefan.com/blogs/kevins-corner/colts-coverage/colts-claim-kicker-chase-mclaughlin-waivers

Colts Claim Kicker Chase McLaughlin Off Waivers

The Colts now have two kickers on their roster after they claimed kicker Chase McLaughlin off waivers. Why did the Colts feel the need to bring McLaughlin onto their 53-man roster?

...It remains to be seen if the Colts felt the need to make this move because Vinatieri is hurt and could miss Sunday’s game against the Buccaneers, if they want some direct competition at kicker for the final 4 games off the season, or if this was a move for 2020 and beyond.

If this move isn’t strictly for insurance reasons, it does give the Colts a longer-term option at the kicker position. McLaughlin is 23 years old and was an undrafted free agent in 2019 out of the Unversity of Illinois. He was with the Bills this offseason going a perfect 8-of-8 on kicks in the preseason and has also spent time on the Vikings practice squad this season.

When December arrives every NFL season, teams all around the league make these sorts of roster moves, with the future in mind.

McLaughlin was available because Robbie Gould, San Francisco’s normal kicker, returned to health last week. The 49ers waived McLaughlin on Tuesday after he was inactive this past Sunday.

Vinatieri meets with the media every Thursday, so check back in with 1075TheFan.com then for more updates.

1 hour ago, Islandecho said:

The first kicked that was blocked had no shot of going in.  It was left of the upright by the time it was a 8 inches off his foot.  Would have wound up in row 25 of the left bleachers.

He has a very very bad habit of late of trying to guide the ball...much like a passer who does the same when their confidence is waning.  He also tends to drop his entire left side instead of standing tall and kicking through the ball.  That is why he has so many ugly looking kicks.

Another FG expert 

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

If he has been dealing with a injury all year that has made his FG kicking bad it’s really the colts fault for letting this go on so long. 

The guy is kicking the dirt in front of the ball. That would be like Tiger Woods creating a divot on a putt. Coach Cower on the pregame show actually said Vinny missed a kick against us back when I was coaching and he hasn't been the same since. How many years ago was that?

1 hour ago, rockywoj said:

During the broadcast of the last game, one of the commentators mentioned that Vinny has been fighting an injury all year, which has prevented him from following through on his kicks.  Likened it to a golfer doing a chip swing, with minimal follow through.  I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt in that they have some inside knowledge, not just making that up.  Ergo, this latest move makes perfect sense, especially if the Colts are very confident that Vinny is retiring after this year.  Secure the kicker you’re interested in right now.  Prudent. 

That explanation is soo booooooooooorrrrrrrring.

:)

39 minutes ago, MCurtis32 said:

The guy is kicking the dirt in front of the ball. That would be like Tiger Woods creating a divot on a putt. Coach Cower on the pregame show actually said Vinny missed a kick against us back when I was coaching and he hasn't been the same since. How many years ago was that?

Pat mcafee said he regularly grazes  the ground before hitting the ball.    

4 hours ago, CR91 said:

Depends if the colts put him on IR. Teams don't normally carry two kickers

The Titans are carrying two kickers right now since Ryan Succop hasn't been the same since coming back from IR earlier this season from a knee injury.  When he first came back, he was spraying it all over the yard.  Accuracy is better now but distance is crap, so we brought in a kicker for kickoffs and long distance field goals.  You guys saw him last week but he didn't kick any field goals.

• Thanks 1

IMO, the horses are already out of the barn... Glad they picked up a guy, but I'd rather see AV get to 600 if we are out of the hunt. Unless he really is hurt, I wouldn't bench him even if he misses every kick the rest of the year. If for some reason we miraculously get back in the hunt, then sure, let the new guy kick.

• Like 2