Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts claim K Chase McLaughlin (Niners)

Mr.Debonair

6 hours ago, DougDew said:

Following up on this:

So by claiming someone who is waived, his exclusive rights carry with it? 

I'm just trying to figure out how he came to the 49ers first, then was waived by them.  It seems like they were simply renting him until Gould came back, which I would think would reflect a player being signed off of the street.  Does he have tenure, so to speak, and was with another club before SF?

Still not sure how his "tenured" rights move to the Colts, but I like it.

He was signed off the street by the Niners. But he was a "non-vested" player, which means he doesn't have enough years of service to reach unrestricted free agency. So whatever team he's on would have his exclusive rights for 2020 and 2021, whether he was claimed on waivers or signed as a free agent. Then he can be a restricted free agent in 2022.

His contract technically expires at the end of the 2019 league year, but the Colts can tender him and effectively extend his rookie contract, one year at a time, until 2023. (And at that point, they could franchise tag him, assuming that provision still exists in the new CBA.)

As a UDFA, the CBA allows him to be signed to a veteran extension after two years of service; for drafted players, it's three years. Until then, his contract is based on the rookie wage scale, which was determined by the CBA.

A recent case study for this is Kenny Moore. He signed with the Patriots as a UDFA in 2017, then was waived at cut down, and the Colts claimed him. After 2018, he had two years of service, so he was eligible to sign a veteran extension, which is what he did in the 2019 offseason. If he had not agreed to an extension, the Colts could have tendered him as an ERFA for 2019, and then as an RFA for 2020.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Since Vinny's knee is basically shot for the 2019 season this is a great chance for Chris Ballard to get a good look at McLaughling as possibly the Colts starting kicker beyond 2019. Either way, the Colts will move on from Vinatieri no matter what he decides to go beyond 2019. Place him on IR and see what you have from McLaughing. Worst case scenario you sign or draft another Kicker to be your guy.

36 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

Vinny's done folks. (My opinion)

He's had a great career. It saddens me to see if come to an end like this

Same.  Bittersweet for me.  I hated the way the game went for him, but at the same time I am still glad I was there and still sporting  my #4 jersey proudly.

Although I blame the OLine for the blocked kicks...it was sickening to watch it unold.

I hate to think last Sunday was his final game. 

5 hours ago, csmopar said:

Yes, we released the TE we brought up from the PS a couple weeks ago. Guy never saw a snap

Actually it was veteran free agent TE Matt Lengel who was released... and he did play a few snaps in the Tenn game.

Transactions

DECEMBER

12/04

Chase McLaughlin (K) signed off waivers (SF); Matt Lengel (TE) waived

12/03

Chester Rogers (WR) placed on injured reserve; Chad Williams (WR) elevated to active roster from practice squad; Malik Henry (WR) signed to practice squad

NOVEMBER

11/27

Jackson Porter (CB) signed to practice squad

11/25

Matt Lengel (TE) signed as a free agent

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Superman said:

My point is that this has been going on all year. It's not like the TN game was some red flag out of nowhere.

However, today's news makes it seem like AV is actually hurt. So this move might be more prompted by his status than I originally thought. Still, interesting coincidence that McLaughlin is available now... 

Yup If McLaughlin plays well I would expect the Colts to move on from AV next year and save some money as well in the process.

38 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not sold on this Kicker but we had to do something. He looks OK. The Kicker we have now missed a game winning kick by a mile vs Seattle.  

He hit three other kicks in that game. 

You guys know kickers sometimes miss kicks, right??

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I know. I like him but just want more of a sample size.

Same. I'm not crowning him, but the kick he missed in the Seattle game was a 47 yarder, not exactly a gimme. And he made a 47 yarder to send the game into OT, so he's shown the ability to make a pressure kick.

Just have to let him show what he can do. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Same. I'm not crowning him, but the kick he missed in the Seattle game was a 47 yarder, not exactly a gimme. And he made a 47 yarder to send the game into OT, so he's shown the ability to make a pressure kick.

Just have to let him show what he can do. 

Yeah and he made a big kick to send it to OT too. I just need to see more. It is like that with everything though. If we draft a rookie QB, I want to see wins if he plays to get me happy :thmup:

On 12/7/2019 at 2:23 AM, GoColts8818 said:

I think Adam is going to make that decision for them.

I think the Colts will move on from Adam.  Even if he wants to play I can't see them risking him having another injury at 47 years old.  Then it's deja vu all over again.  I don't think they want to revisit that nightmare.  

4 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I think the Colts will move on from Adam.  Even if he wants to play I can't see them risking him having another injury at 47 years old.  Then it's deja vu all over again.  I don't think they want to revisit that nightmare.  

I agree but I expect Adam to retire before that happens.  If he doesn’t then yes I think they will let him walk.