Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kevin Bowen says The colts stadium is one of the least intimidating environments in the NFL.

NannyMcafee

15 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Take it for what it is, but this is definitely not a good thing. 

Biggest game of the year this year at home had 8000 empty seats as well. 

He was talking about it on his podcast. 

but still less tarps than on the jags  stadium seats and prob. the bills also.

Wow, I remember my one and only game (2005) at the RCA Dome and it was, and remains, the loudest stadium I ever heard.  Have been to KC twice in the last two years ... it was loud, but not as loud as my game experience at the RCA Dome. (Open air stadium, tough to be as loud as a dome.)

Only been to 1 game at Lucas Oil.  Vs Denver when the Colts upset the Broncos, but Luck got injured. It was loud then, but not close to my RCA Dome experience.

Been to a lot of different venues around the league.  The one common thread?  The loudest stadiums were the ones where the teams are consistently doing very well.  Fair weather fans are all over the place. 

Okay, here I go again.

We need wins to get the fans more excited. I have addressed this issue of low crowd noise when the opposing team has the ball. Well, the victories are low and we have people not doing their job, example, our field goal kicker.

So, let’s turn the table and what could make more entertainment for the fans, more specifically, the younger fans. Let’s turn our mascot into a Super Hero. Blue can pump the fans up by morphing into Mighty Blue! That’s right, when the mascot needs to pump up the fans he can run back to the locker room and come out with pumped up muscles and a stallion- like head and flaring nostrils and pump up the crowd like never before. All this can be seen on the big screens during this morphing process. Then when the game is over he can return to his old self, Blue.

We go to be entertained, right?

I have mentioned this for several years. Talk  about an awesome marketing idea.

I offer this idea without taking credit. Just my way to make Colts football at Lucas Oil stadium better and it just might help win more games at home.

An average Colts home crowd isn't exactly the Black Hole, in fact it's one of the least intimidating crowds.. Yeah, Kevin got this right without going to far into specifics. With that said, I've seen the crowd be awesome in meaningful games too- not the KC comeback though, lot's of you left before half time..

• Like 2

Anyone here go to the 2000 Colt -Titan Playoff game ?

It was really quite alarming . I had dinner with a one of the coaches and his dad. That coach gave his dad his tickets plus another coaches ticket to scalp in front of the stadium. Then went to the game and was dumbfounded to Titan fans making as much(almost) noise as Colt's fans. Really ticked me off ....

3 hours ago, Colts Fan in Arizona said:

Okay, here I go again.

We need wins to get the fans more excited. I have addressed this issue of low crowd noise when the opposing team has the ball. Well, the victories are low and we have people not doing their job, example, our field goal kicker.

So, let’s turn the table and what could make more entertainment for the fans, more specifically, the younger fans. Let’s turn our mascot into a Super Hero. Blue can pump the fans up by morphing into Mighty Blue! That’s right, when the mascot needs to pump up the fans he can run back to the locker room and come out with pumped up muscles and a stallion- like head and flaring nostrils and pump up the crowd like never before. All this can be seen on the big screens during this morphing process. Then when the game is over he can return to his old self, Blue.

We go to be entertained, right?

I have mentioned this for several years. Talk  about an awesome marketing idea.

I offer this idea without taking credit. Just my way to make Colts football at Lucas Oil stadium better and it just might help win more games at home.

They need to bring the prices down in the venues. And they need to bump the prices of tickets down just a smidge. If every day people could go to these games and afford everything you would see the stadium fill up more. Imo. I highly doubt that they cant afford to bring the prices down just a little bit. 

Your idea isnt a bad one either. But they need to have some real innovation when it comes to customer service. I've been in customer service for the last 10 years and imo, LOS is lacking. It's just more fun to stay at home than go to the games. 

One other thing. It says you have 5 posts. 

4 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

His pod casts are always a good listen. I'm at work so I cant dig through and give you the exact spot right now but the whole thing is good if you cant get enough colts info. 

Thank you! I like Bowen on most topics. Could only listen to first 20, and will finish the rest tomorrow. 

If 8000 are unsold, whoa, that's weak. Ticket sales is a thing that Irsay pays very close attention too. The fans are used to a souped up O, so not shocked.

I said the same thing he did regarding the 3 game stint coming up. Very little room for losses. Got to at least go 2-1 to keep it a fight.

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

As far as the crowd noise, just the shear size of Lucas Oils Stadium makes it hard for the crowd to be loud. 

The RCA dome was super loud because it was a small dome. (the smallest in the NFL)

You could have put 3 RCA domes inside Lucas Oil Stadium

LOS is one of the smaller NFL stadiums. I think we're outside of the top 20, so hard to blame it on size. Can't speak to the acoustics, but I've been to some very loud games, and I've been to some very quiet games.

The loud ones were good games, the quiet were duds. Right now, IMO it's simply a product of performance, and more specifically lack of performance from the O. Indy fans are used to a high flying O. 

Indy is a small town, but attendance and noise aren't issues when we're good. 

8 hours ago, conklincolt said:

but still less tarps than on the jags  stadium seats and prob. the bills also.

I live near Buffalo...there have never been tarps. They support their team very well and the 70k seats are filled almost every game except meaningless December games in 10 degree weather.

Lol this thread reminds me when I went to a football game with my dad at the rca dome. I was 19 and my dad bought me a small beer to watch the game ( I know the humanity, letting a 19 yr old drink a beer) but anyways, in front of me was a guy who just so happened to work for the titans, the team we were playing.

Me and him kinda talked and gave each other crap during the game, but it was friendly. However, the colts fumbled the ball and I stood up right after I got my beer and in the excitement I spilled my beer down the guys back lol. It was a total accident but I guarantee from his perspective, that he thought I did it on purpose. Anyways I still get a laugh at that because I genuinely didn’t mean for it to happen but to that guy I must of looked like a total a hole. I’m surprised he didn’t ask me to meet him in the parking lot to rough me up a little. 

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I've noticed the crowd isn't too loud and rabid at the games I have been to.  It is what it is.  

I don't think the Colts have as many fans who are passionate about the team as other cities do.

This year has definitely taken the wind out of people's sails. Manning>Luck>Brissett. The games are all close now. We aren't dominating. The team is boring now, win or lose. A lot of the fanbase lost its passion when Luck retired, and ticket sales reflect that. It is what it is. As far as noise goes, this has always been a quiet crowd, and that's not a good thing either.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rockywoj said:

Wow, I remember my one and only game (2005) at the RCA Dome and it was, and remains, the loudest stadium I ever heard.  Have been to KC twice in the last two years ... it was loud, but not as loud as my game experience at the RCA Dome. (Open air stadium, tough to be as loud as a dome.)

Only been to 1 game at Lucas Oil.  Vs Denver when the Colts upset the Broncos, but Luck got injured. It was loud then, but not close to my RCA Dome experience.

Been to a lot of different venues around the league.  The one common thread?  The loudest stadiums were the ones where the teams are consistently doing very well.  Fair weather fans are all over the place. 

I probably saw 18+ games in the RCA Dome, and more times than not, left w/varying degrees of a headache because of the decibels. This coupled w/my own shouting of course! That joint would just bring the rafters down, and am proud to be a part of those great memories, wins and losses. :)

11 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I've been to "intimidating" stadiums. If being obnoxious to visitors, cussing at them (and their children), pouring beers on them, etc. goes along with the cost of being intimidating, consider me happy and proud to be a part of a family friendly and less intimidating crowd/stadium. We get compliments from visiting teams every week on how nice the stadium is, the convenience of downtown Indianapolis, and the good old Hoosier hospitality. There's no reason to be rude and obnoxious at games. I welcome people, talk with them and when our defense is on the field, I'm as loud as the next guy. Who cares about intimidation. The play on the field intimidates teams, not the stadium. 

I also feel it extends to the tailgating and general community. When the Bills fans are blackout drunk and jumping off buses onto tables, that extends into the stadium. Miami Dolphins has some pretty wild tailgating showcased on twitter and barstool sports as of late, with dancers on strip poles and what not. I don't know how a professional franchise of this league can condone that type of behavior representing their organization. I had friends that went to KC for the playoff game, and they could have pressed charges against several Chiefs fans had they chosen to. Unbelievable behavior. 

Castle Doctrine baby!

2 hours ago, Myles said:

I've noticed the crowd isn't too loud and rabid at the games I have been to.  It is what it is.  

I don't think the Colts have as many fans who are passionate about the team as other cities do.

I have been a Colts fan for almost two decades now... it is still a dream of mine to be able to afford to travel to IN for at least one home game experience in my lifetime. Threads like this make me sad :( because in my “Colts home game” fantasy I imagine being enveloped in a loud, passionate sea of beautiful blue.  However, I do agree with @ColtStrong2013 that there is a fine line between intimidating and obnoxious. I am a Philadelphia native and have been to Eagles’ games... absolutely ridiculous is all I can say.

I would feel much more at home sitting with a crowd of Colts fans who don’t act like *s. But if I ever make it to a Colts game, I definitely plan on screaming my head off and hope I am not the only one in my seating area to do so!

Lol @...win more and they'll get loud. 

Naaa

They are either a fan of a team, or a fan of winning. Fine by me to be whatever they want. 

I wish my team was in my state so I could go to games and enjoy the experience. I went to see the Colts play in Seattle a couple of times. Also seen them play at Candlestick and in the black hole. Seattle's fans were by far the worst and are rude, threatening, and belligerent. From what I have heard about Colt fans at their home, I would rather they remain just as they are. 

I appreciate hospitable over belligerent any day for my fan base. 

18 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

Ever since he got fired Bowen tries to find a negative spin on anything by colts management. 

19 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

He made valid points. I used to put it on my yearly season ticket holder review. Need more replays, need more FFB stats and the music needs improved. It’s like Irsay just want to play his Apple Music play list instead of  music that has pop. I love me some jack and Dianne but that beat mix doesn’t get me “raging” and ready to scream my head off as the defense takes the ball. Haven’t been to the stadium in two years but I did like the little space just down the hallway from 235 that had a full bar inside it and a couple food options as well as a band prior to game and seating.  That was a good idea and at times, that too was open then closed. Just inconsistent. 

13 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Just spoke to my cousin back in Indy during the ND halftime. She said the kids don't want to go to anymore games because it's not fun anymore...... These are kids that didn't want to miss a game last year and love football.

Winning and the style of play helps. The offense is boring and doesn’t score a lot.  There also isn’t many star personalities on the team. An OL is one of the three most popular players. 

7 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Winning and the style of play helps. The offense is boring and doesn’t score a lot.  There also isn’t many star personalities on the team. An OL is one of the three most popular players. 

And we've been used to a certain style for 20 years. Won't be shocked if sales decline. That's probably enough for Irsay to get involved lol. 

5 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

It's hard to put a positive spin on empty seats. I've been to 2 games this year and I have to say the games have not been real exciting. $8 beer doesn't help.:hairout:

You need to buy these...

https://www.amazon.com/Concealable-Collapsible-Sizes-32-YSLF-Eco-Friendly/dp/B074J5355F/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=plastic+flask&qid=1573945290&sr=8-4

• Thanks 1