Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do the Colts put Chad Kelly on the 53 man roster after his suspension is over?

Hoose

This is a tough one. The Colts have obviously shored up their QB situation in the past couple of days. And keeping   3 QBs on the roster is a serious luxury in today’s NFL. Yet from what I’ve read, the consensus among this Board’s members is that exposing CK to waivers likely means losing him. So.....What to do when his suspension ends in 2 weeks? 

My opinion: suck it up and sign him to the 53 man team and drop one of the LBs. Jacoby is a good player IMO. But until he proves he can successfully lead this new and improved team, he’s still a question mark.  And Hoyer is just a temporary fix for the #2. Keeping CK makes sense if he’s as good as advertised. The QB situation just has too many questions right now to gamble away that kind of talent. 

Any opinions on this?

• Like 4

I am cautiously in agreement - if CK can grow up both inside and outside the game he could potentially be better than JB.  I believe Hoyer probably isnt as good as either of them and is just a good insurance policy.  As long as we have adequate depth I think we keep 3 QBs until the end of the season and reevaluate.

• Like 1

IMO, it doesn’t matter. I don’t think any of them are in line to be a long term starter, so holding all three of them is pointless when we could search for depth elsewhere. We need a more talented QB to get deep in the playoffs, maybe not Luck’s level but even a top 10 QB with this team is a contender. None of those 3 are close IMO, so move on from CK and draft a new QB next year, releasing Hoyer and letting JB be the mentor to the young buck and even be the starter while he takes a season to develop if necessary 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

None of those 3 are close IMO, so move on from CK and draft a new QB next year, releasing Hoyer and letting JB be the mentor to the young buck and even be the starter while he takes a season to develop if necessary 

Who are you suggesting we take? We are going to be too good to get one of the top QB's in the draft, so to me your suggestion is just doing the same thing we might be doing this year with CK. I am of the mindset that we keep CK and see how he develops over the next year.

Personally, I think JB has a shot at being a top 10-15 QB. There are QB's worse than Jacoby who have won Super Bowls.  

I suspect that the strategy is to slip Kelly by waivers and onto the PS after he serves out his sentence in Goodell's Bad Boy Pokey, hoping that, two weeks into the season, no one is watching too closely.  The Brissett deal, as much as it's been hyped, is really not much more than a one-year "prove it" deal with a second-year option for the team. The Colts have pretty much just bought themselves a year to sort things out and decide what to do with Kelly at that point. 

I understand not being sold on Kelly but what more do you expect from a player in training camp? 

By all accounts he was a model teammate and player.

He excelled in game time whenever given the chance. 

What else do you want? You can't win the Super Bowl in the preseason but you can do your job and do it well enough to earn a real shot. 

• Like 8

46 minutes ago, HarryTheCat said:

I suspect that the strategy is to slip Kelly by waivers and onto the PS after he serves out his sentence in Goodell's Bad Boy Pokey, hoping that, two weeks into the season, no one is watching too closely.  The Brissett deal, as much as it's been hyped, is really not much more than a one-year "prove it" deal with a second-year option for the team. The Colts have pretty much just bought themselves a year to sort things out and decide what to do with Kelly at that point. 

If CK isn't on the 53 roster after his suspension, he isn't going to last a minute in the waiver wire.  I bet a team or two are already licking their chops, lol.

• Like 1

I'm going to ask a question here: Why do all of us, myself included, keep making assumptions on JB's skill level? We have yet to see him play a single snap of Colts football with an offensive line in front of him. I feel like we're taking shots in the dark here, could we maybe at least wait for us to play in LA before we proclaim JB either the next great QB or the one of the worst starters in the league? We haven't seen the kid play an actual NFL game in two years, who knows what he's like?

Just asking to hold our horses on future QB plans before we even start with this one

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

I'm going to ask a question here: Why do all of us, myself included, keep making assumptions on JB's skill level? We have yet to see him play a single snap of Colts football with an offensive line in front of him. I feel like we're taking shots in the dark here, could we maybe at least wait for us to play in LA before we proclaim JB either the next great QB or the one of the worst starters in the league? We haven't seen the kid play an actual NFL game in two years, who knows what he's like?

Just asking to hold our horses on future QB plans before we even start with this one

I don't think all or even most of us are assuming we know for sure what Jacoby is at this point.

Most everybody has an opinion on what they think he might be, but it seems like most of those same people are waiting to actually see how he fares this season before making final judgments. Just the impression I've gotten.

• Like 1

If you have done everything right, for the team, and been a team player, that player has typically been rewarded. With Kenny Moore, an extension. With Jacoby Brissett, an extension. Chad Kelly has done everything the coaches have wanted of him and showed the work ethic and put in the time needed, and along the way, shown the talent to be a good backup in this league at a minimum as well.

The right thing to do would be to put him on the 53 man roster because he has deserved it.  At least that is my take on it!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

53 minutes ago, HarryTheCat said:

Do you honestly believe other teams are not scouring the waver wire everyday?  They probably have systems with automated alerts to ensure they don't miss out, and at the very least have someone that this a significant part of their job assignment.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

Gee. i watched his last pre-season game and saw some REALLY GOOD stuff.
 A great job evading pressure and making big throws. A number of nice reads and throws on the money. He showed me he is a really good fit for this offense.
 I expect him to be up to the task in all facets.
 We have some tough opponents early on, so his teammates need to hold up their own end. I am most worried about penalties killing us at this point.
 We should be a tough to beat week in and week out.

• Like 1

Easy...put Kelly on the 53...drop WR6.

Develop him for the season or 1/2 season and start spotting him in real games...maybe after the bye week. He will soon be the best QB on the team...he already is the most talented but has limited experience with game prep and playing against the opponent's 1's.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WarGhost21 said:

IMO, it doesn’t matter. I don’t think any of them are in line to be a long term starter, so holding all three of them is pointless when we could search for depth elsewhere. We need a more talented QB to get deep in the playoffs, maybe not Luck’s level but even a top 10 QB with this team is a contender. None of those 3 are close IMO, so move on from CK and draft a new QB next year, releasing Hoyer and letting JB be the mentor to the young buck and even be the starter while he takes a season to develop if necessary 

funny post! of the 3 on the roster only Kelly is the one with an amazing college career and the only one that bill polian claimed was prolly the most talented in his draft class 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

funny post! of the 3 on the roster only Kelly is the one with an amazing college career and the only one that bill polian claimed was prolly the most talented in his draft class 

Funny post.   Of the three he is the only one to be arrested for stumbling into a stranger's home

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

has absolutely nothing to do with his talent or anything polian said 

It is bigger than his talent.    He was cut from the team that drafted him.  The colts picked him up as a favor to Jim Kelly.  Also,   Polian,   a close personal friend of Jim Kelly as well

13 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

It is bigger than his talent.    He was cut from the team that drafted him.  The colts picked him up as a favor to Jim Kelly.  Also,   Polian,   a close personal friend of Jim Kelly as well

and hes still on the colts. hes not taking JBs spot but hes prolly staying on the team I have no idea why everyone is so against him but whatever 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

and hes still on the colts. hes bot taking JBs spot but hes prolly staying on the team I have no idea why everyone is so against him but whatever 

Makes no sense.

You would think people would be happy that we might have a young guy with some possible potential. Nah, they would rather bash him?

Lot of troll around this forum, you can tell they feed each other to, with the insane amount of likes, some of these said trolls have.

6 minutes ago, w87r said:

Makes no sense.

You would think people would be happy that we might have a young guy with some possible potential. Nah, they would rather bash him?

Lot of troll around this forum, you can tell they feed each other to, with the insane amount of likes, some of these said trolls have.

its pointless really. pretty much everyone is so in favor of JB being the next peyton manning that they feel threatened by Kelly being good and being apart of the colts future.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

and hes still on the colts. hes not taking JBs spot but hes prolly staying on the team I have no idea why everyone is so against him but whatever 

I'm not against him.   I just don't think he is the second coming like many here do.   

• Like 2

It's a complex question.  And I think the answer lies in being absolutely honest about each of the quarterbacks.

Who is Jacoby Brissett?  He's a very good backup, that has the ability to play this game and start.  He's not a franchise QB (no matter what Reich says).  He's not going to be the reason why you won.  But he won't be the reason why you lose.  He can play, but still has something to prove.

Thus, what do we need?  We need a quality backup QB to be able to start in case JB goes down, or (heaven forbid) gets hurt.

Who is Chad Kelly?  He's a young backup QB who has potential.  He's shown in practice that he has some game.  He's also shown that he has things to learn.

Who is Brian Hoyer?  He's a quality veteran backup who has started in this league.  He's won games in this league.  He knows what he's doing, and won't require tons of improvement or game book study to step into a starting role if required.  He's not going to get any better than he is.  And he can win games.

Brian Hoyer fits what we need more than Chad Kelly does.  Regardless of how much we like Kelly, or how high we are on his potential.

I think the Colts are doing the right thing.  They brought in Hoyer to be the steady veteran backup.  They're gonna expose Kelly to waivers before putting him on the practice squad.  If another team grabs him, good luck to him.  If they don't, then we continue to have the guy to develop him for the future.  The future of what?  Will he be a franchise QB?  Probably not.  But he has a good feel for playing by the seat of his pants.  And that's a good thing to have in a backup QB.

We know a few things about Kelly from OTAs, training camp and preseason play. There are a few questions that remain about "peripheral" issues and past history. I think the general consensus is, he has some potential. If he were to put it all together and reach his potential, while overcoming all the obstacles he needs to overcome, would you rather have him on your team or play against him for the next 10 years?

Yes, he would take up a spot on the roster. Ballard and Reich will do some risk analysis and probably determine a roster spot is a cheap insurance policy for the future. I wouldn't say it's a no brainer. It's gonna take some brains and fortitude.

44 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

its pointless really. pretty much everyone is so in favor of JB being the next peyton manning that they feel threatened by Kelly being good and being apart of the colts future.

I’m not low on Kelly, I think he has potential for sure, but do we honestly want a QB who might not play all 16 because he got suspended for something else? He has a lot of red flags, I’d rather have a mediocre QB who I know will play each week over a decent QB who might or might not be there. The NFL is all about continuity, having a risk along the lines of CK is a very ballsy decision