Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do the Colts put Chad Kelly on the 53 man roster after his suspension is over?

Hoose

46 minutes ago, Lennon1940 said:

He's the infinitely more reliable and safer QB, so yes Brissett would get picked up first. Disagree on better. We don't have any actual NFL film on Kelly yet so we can't compare them that way, but Kelly looks to have a better skill set and was far more productive than JB in college while playing in a much harder conference. 

Kelly - 22 college starts - 7,641 total yards, 65 TD's, 151.6 QBR

JB - 26 college starts - 6,167 total yards, 52 TD's, 133.5 QBR

1. 347 total yds, 3 TD's a game in SEC

2. 237 total yds, 2 TD's a game in ACC

I'll take door number one if I'm deciding who is the better QB on the field. 

Manziel was even better.  

I just think the mental is a large part of being the QB of an NFL team.   We've seen physically gifted QB's who were great in college fail miserably in the NFL.   I hope Chad isn't in that group, but he leans that way more than the other.    

That said, I was hoping the Colts would have rolled the dice with Walker as the back up for 2 weeks and then made Kelly the #1 back up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aaron11 said:

that doesnt mean JB is good though.  so he gets a pass for being on a bad team, he has a lot to prove now though.  we need a franchise QB, not a backup that got the job by default

Maybe he'll be a franchise QB...why don't you give him a chance? Also, of course he got the job by default, that's what backups are for, it's literally their job to fill in if the starter goes out, that's why teams have them. I'm sorry that we don't have another Peyton Manning walking in the door right now, but you need to learn to accept that for at least Sunday, we have Brisset. Can you not even give him one game this year before totally writing him off?

5 minutes ago, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

Maybe he'll be a franchise QB...why don't you give him a chance? Also, of course he got the job by default, that's what backups are for, it's literally their job to fill in if the starter goes out, that's why teams have them. I'm sorry that we don't have another Peyton Manning walking in the door right now, but you need to learn to accept that for at least Sunday, we have Brisset. Can you not even give him one game this year before totally writing him off?

just cause some of us arent crowing him as our next franchise QB before game one doesn't mean we aren't giving him a chance. it's called taking a wait and see approach. all some of you have done is possibly set yourself up for major disappointment if JB isnt the next great QB.

7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

All it takes is for a door to open and get your chance. Warner won the SB MVP and regular season MVP when Green went down in the preseason. He came from the arena football league and was bagging groceries. 

Indeed. Big Ben stepped in when Maddox went down and I think they ended up winning 14 straight. Brady stepped in when Bledsoe went down. Steve Young when Montana got hurt. A little closer to home Morrall took us to a Super Bowl when Unitas got hurt. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

All it takes is for a door to open and get your chance. Warner won the SB MVP and regular season MVP when Green went down in the preseason. He came from the arena football league and was bagging groceries. 

Most definitely, before 1999 hardly nobody knew who Kurt Warner was and had him rated roughly last regarding starters. Green was actually good.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

he is getting his chance, i think promising him the season long job was going too far though.  thats basically what they said and did with his contract.

i thought it would make sense to have a real QB competition after losing luck but thats just me.  would also be looking closely at QBs in the next draft and be willing to trade up

Just now, aaron11 said:

he is getting his chance, i think promising him the season long job was going too far though.  thats basically what they said and did with his contract.

i thought it would make sense to have a real QB competition after losing luck but thats just me.  would also be looking closely at QBs in the next draft and be willing to trade up

Fair enough, but I think with the contract and what Ballard and Reich have said he may be good enough to play for us for a while. I understand your skepticism, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't at all worried, but I want us to at least hold judgement until after the first game. He may be our next franchise QB, or he may be our next Scott Tolzien, but we really won't know until this Sunday at least, although I'll personally give him more than one game.

35 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Matt Flynn, Matt Cassell and recently Jimmy Garoppolo got big contracts for very limited play on the field. Garoppolo basically played in 2 games in the NFL (on the best team in the league mind you) before he got paid SERIOUS money by the 49ers. Whats the difference between him and Kelly?

As a funny aside the reason Jimmy G started is because a certain QB was suspended for the first 2 games of the season.

38 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

You don't have a qb competition during the season. 

• Like 2

On 9/3/2019 at 8:50 PM, Lennon1940 said:

JB has always seemed just very mediocre to me.

But, based on what?  You simply cannot make an accurate assessment of his abilities based of the 2017 season.

On 9/3/2019 at 8:55 PM, fahlman said:

Even is he does clear waivers, he can be signed at anytime off the practice squad by any team willing to add him to their active roster.

That is partly true...the Colts, however, would have the opportunity to sign CK to their own roster (if he agrees) rather than letting him sign with another team.

On 9/3/2019 at 9:23 PM, Chloe6124 said:

I actually hope he gets assigned to the PS so all these ridiculous posts stop. I don’t think I have ever seen this about a player that has zero experience in the NFL.

Roy Hall, Mike Hart, Caesar Rayford, John Chick, Da'rick Rogers...there have been many lol

On 9/4/2019 at 7:28 AM, PrincetonTiger said:

I once debated a wooden post

You've been on this site for quite a while, so I suspect you've done that far more than just once.

4 hours ago, Lennon1940 said:

I disagree. The only justification for him being on the 53 is for him to play if something goes wrong with JB.

I pretty much agree.  If JB gets hurt while the Colts are still in the playoff hunt, Hoyer will replace him until he's ready to return.  If JB gets benched, Kelly will replace him.  That's what I think would happen.

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

How do you know they didn't?  Kelly played a lot during PS and they got good looks at both in OTAs and TC.  I'm sure if they felt Kelly was the better option right now that he'd be the one to play (after the suspension of course). 

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

You don't have a qb competition during the season. 

normally you dont, but its not normal for a star QB to retire in their prime 2 weeks before the season.  i dont think it would look out of place for them to evaluate different QBs after Lucks surprise 

2 hours ago, J@son said:

But, based on what?  You simply cannot make an accurate assessment of his abilities based of the 2017 season.

I was factoring in his total body of work. With very few exceptions (read: Tom Brady), starting NFL QB's were super studs in college. Brissett was only average in college (64th in QBR his senior year out of 130 FBS starters). Compare his final season of college to the final season of the other starters under 30

Murray - 5,362 total yards - 54 TD's

Mahomes - 5,337 - 53

Jackson - 5,261 - 45 

Mariotta - 5,224 - 58

Watson - 5,222 - 50

Carr - 5,201 - 52

Garoppolo - 5,050 - 53

Mayfield - 4,938  - 46

Goff - 4,708 - 43

Prescott - 4,381 - 39

Newton - 4,327 - 50

Winston - 4,276 - 44 

Darnold - 4,225 - 31

Trubisky - 4,056  - 35 

Rosen - 3,756 - 28

Allen - 3,726 - 36

Brissett - 3,032 - 26 

God knows that being a stud college QB doesn't mean you'll be a starting NFL QB, but starting NFL QB's were, almost without exception, stud college QB's. Those stats firmly back up that assertion. 

You can choose to put whatever stock (or none at all) into college stats, but from where I'm sitting if you weren't taking over games in college then why should I think that you're going to have the ability to take over games in the NFL?

17 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

normally you dont, but its not normal for a star QB to retire in their prime 2 weeks before the season.  i dont think it would look out of place for them to evaluate different QBs after Lucks surprise 

It would be ridiculous,   especially when one is suspended for the first two games. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lennon1940 said:

I was factoring in his total body of work. With very few exceptions (read: Tom Brady), starting NFL QB's were super studs in college. Brissett was only average in college (64th in QBR his senior year out of 130 FBS starters). Compare his final season of college to the final season of the other starters under 30

Murray - 5,362 total yards - 54 TD's

Mahomes - 5,337 - 53

Jackson - 5,261 - 45 

Mariotta - 5,224 - 58

Watson - 5,222 - 50

Carr - 5,201 - 52

Garoppolo - 5,050 - 53

Mayfield - 4,938  - 46

Goff - 4,708 - 43

Prescott - 4,381 - 39

Newton - 4,327 - 50

Winston - 4,276 - 44 

Darnold - 4,225 - 31

Trubisky - 4,056  - 35 

Rosen - 3,756 - 28

Allen - 3,726 - 36

Brissett - 3,032 - 26 

God knows that being a stud college QB doesn't mean you'll be a starting NFL QB, but starting NFL QB's were, almost without exception, stud college QB's. Those stats firmly back up that assertion. 

You can choose to put whatever stock (or none at all) into college stats, but from where I'm sitting if you weren't taking over games in college then why should I think that you're going to have the ability to take over games in the NFL?

Who cares about college stats?  What were Johnny Football and Ryan leaf's stats in college?  There is a lot more in play than that

3 hours ago, Mitch Connors said:

Matt Flynn, Matt Cassell and recently Jimmy Garoppolo got big contracts for very limited play on the field. Garoppolo basically played in 2 games in the NFL (on the best team in the league mind you) before he got paid SERIOUS money by the 49ers. Whats the difference between him and Kelly?

As a funny aside the reason Jimmy G started is because a certain QB was suspended for the first 2 games of the season.

4 game suspension.   Jacoby started 2 of them

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Who cares about college stats?  What were Johnny Football and Ryan leaf's stats in college?  There is a lot more in play than that

lol, I guess I'll repeat myself so maybe you'll retain it this time: "God knows that being a stud college QB doesn't mean you'll be a starting NFL QB"

As I said, put whatever stock you want in those stats (apparently you put none), but the fact that our starting QB was by leaps and bounds the least effective college QB of every other NFL starter doesn't really give me the warm and fuzzies about his playmaking ability. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Lennon1940 said:

lol, I guess I'll repeat myself so maybe you'll retain it this time: "God knows that being a stud college QB doesn't mean you'll be a starting NFL QB"

As I said, put whatever stock you want in those stats (apparently you put none), but the fact that our starting QB was by leaps and bounds the least effective college QB of every other NFL starter doesn't really give me the warm and fuzzies about his playmaking ability. 

But a guy kicked off of the Clemson team and arrested for strolling into people's homes makes you warm and fuzzy?

22 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

But a guy kicked off of the Clemson team and arrested for strolling into people's homes makes you warm and fuzzy?

I think the point is, that we don't have a perfect QB on the roster. We have a starter that is a great human and teammate, but had a mediocre college career and one NFL season with a bad supporting cast. We also have a newly signed career back up guy (Hoyer) who has always been mediocre to poor in his time as a starter. The only year he cracked 3000 yards was the year he threw more INTs than TD. Then we have a wildcard with behavioral issues who had one of the best college years in recent history with a better QBR than guys like Mahomes, Mayfield, Prescott, Watson, and Goff in 2015. 

It's nothing but a huge grey area. We all know who deserves the start, and all will cheer for him to win. But many also understand the ceilings of all three, and they aren't the same.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Well,   he got kicked out of Clemson,   then arrested after being a 7th round pick 

Yeah, and Brissett had to transfer because Jeff Driskell beat him out at Florida. Brissett couldn’t even get the starting job in a conference that Kelly dominated. 

I view Brissett's best-case scenario as somewhere around Ryan Fitzpatrick: a replacement-level starting QB who'll get shuffled around the league for the better part of a decade.

Kelly's much more boom or bust. Two years from now he could be a Pro Bowler, or he could be in prison.

Personally, I'd rather gamble on greatness than settle for mediocrity.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

he prolly gets that feeling from the way he played at Mississippi not cause he got kicked off Clemson.

Yeah, has a little something to do with the fact that in Kelly’s best season he had 1500 more yards and 15 more TD’s than JB’s best season. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lennon1940 said:

Yeah, and Brissett had to transfer because Jeff Driskell beat him out at Florida. Brissett couldn’t even get the starting job in a conference that Kelly dominated. 

It wasn't because he couldn't follow rules.    There are countless stories about guys with amazing talent that flamed out because they couldn't stay out of trouble.   By all accounts Jacoby is a hard worker and was voted a team captain.   That tells me what I need