Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do the Colts put Chad Kelly on the 53 man roster after his suspension is over?

Hoose

3 minutes ago, Jared Jammer said:

Personally, I'd rather gamble on greatness than settle for mediocrity.

Good god yes. This is a QB league and we’re depending on a guy who was mediocre in college to be great in the NFL. I just don’t see how that happens. 

If he possessed the intuition, skill set, and athleticism to be great in the NFL he’d have been an exceptional college QB. As I’ve hopefully shown in this thread, even your average NFL starters were, without exception, outstanding college QB’s.

11 minutes ago, Lennon1940 said:

Yeah, has a little something to do with the fact that in Kelly’s best season he had 1500 more yards and 15 more TD’s than JB’s best season. 

trust me I know I like kelly more too anyone that goes to Bama and beats the crap out of the tide has my vote but got to see what JB does first 

15 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

It wasn't because he couldn't follow rules.    There are countless stories about guys with amazing talent that flamed out because they couldn't stay out of trouble.   By all accounts Jacoby is a hard worker and was voted a team captain.   That tells me what I need

Hahaha

Character doesn’t win football games. Beating the hell out of your opponents and enforcing your will on them is what wins games. Usually successful NFL QB’s are character guys AND exceptional talents. 

Show me an elite NFL QB who was merely average in college (aside from

the one obvious exception). I’ll wait.

17 minutes ago, Lennon1940 said:

Hahaha

Character doesn’t win football games. Beating the hell out of your opponents and enforcing your will on them is what wins games. Usually successful NFL QB’s are character guys AND exceptional talents. 

Show me an elite NFL QB who was merely average in college (aside from

the one obvious exception). I’ll wait.

Kurt Warner and Warren Moon 

Show me an elite qb in the NFL that was cut by his first college team,   then later arrested

Bottom line is that if JB is going to turn out to be a good NFL QB he’s going to be the exception not the rule given his college background. It’s extraordinarily rare for a QB to be better in the NFL than they were in college. 

I hope I’m wrong. It’d be one hell of a story for our franchise if he turned out to be great. 

But I suspect that we just married ourselves to a guy who won’t ever be bad enough to be benched but won’t ever be good enough for us to win anything big. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I year doesn’t make someone elite

It is a good start for him but he is not there yet 

This talk about “elite” is just semantics. I literally listed every starting QB under 30 in the league, elite, good, average, or bad, and almost all of them were freakshows in college EXCEPT our guy. 

14 minutes ago, Lennon1940 said:

This talk about “elite” is just semantics. I literally listed every starting QB under 30 in the league, elite, good, average, or bad, and almost all of them were freakshows in college EXCEPT our guy. 

Just like in real life college success means very little in the NFL

1 hour ago, Jared Jammer said:

I view Brissett's best-case scenario as somewhere around Ryan Fitzpatrick: a replacement-level starting QB who'll get shuffled around the league for the better part of a decade.

Kelly's much more boom or bust. Two years from now he could be a Pro Bowler, or he could be in prison.

Personally, I'd rather gamble on greatness than settle for mediocrity.

If JB guns it like Fitz does...it will at least be fun to watch.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Just like in real life college success means very little in the NFL

Well I guess we just have to hope that our guy is a once in 20 years exception to the rule that NFL starters were excellent college QB’s. I don’t like being in that position.

1 hour ago, Lennon1940 said:

I appreciate the great points you are making. But by now most of what JB has done in the past has become largely irrelevant to many Colts fans. And that's not meant to be a criticism...just an observation from reading posts here and on other forums.

1 hour ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I year doesn’t make someone elite

It is a good start for him but he is not there yet 

It's a pretty good sign whenever a QB is drafted in the top 10 (Baker was #1), and then takes a team that went 0-16 a year before to only losing 8 games while putting up 3700+ yards on a bad team..... He then is listed by most experts in the top 10 to start the next year.

He may not be elite by "career" expectations, but most view him as elite right now. Like others have said... semantics. 

3 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I appreciate the great points you are making. But by now most of what JB has done in that past has become largely irrelevant to many Colts fans. And that's not a criticism...just an observation from reading posts here and on other forums.

JB has a tremendous opportunity to write his own story now. He has a very very solid team around him on both O and D. It's all up to him.

If he knocks it out of the park, nobody will ever talk about his mediocre college days again, nor talk about Chad Kelly's higher ceiling. If he and the team struggle, it'll continue to be discussed. 

He's in the driver seat. Cheering loud for him Sunday!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

It's a pretty good sign whenever a QB is drafted in the top 10 (Baker was #1), and then takes a team that went 0-16 a year before to only losing 8 games while putting up 3700+ yards on a bad team..... He then is listed by most experts in the top 10 to start the next year.

He may not be elite by "career" expectations, but most view him as elite right now. Like others have said... semantics. 

Baker had a great rookie year....arguably better than Luck. I think if Luck was top 10 after his rookie year (which he was)...Baker should be as well.

12 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I appreciate the great points you are making. But by now most of what JB has done in the past has become largely irrelevant to many Colts fans. And that's not meant to be a criticism...just an observation from reading posts here and on other forums.

Oh I totally agree. Me complaining on a message board about all of this doesn’t make me like JB as a dude less or want to root for him any less. His destiny is tied to the destiny of the team. He’s the QB of our team and the team being successful is the ONLY thing that really matters to me. 

I think about what a great story it’d be to be awesome this year in spite of all that has occurred with Luck.

4 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Baker had a great rookie year than Luck....arguably better than Luck. I think if Luck was top 10 after his rookie year (which he was)...Baker should be as well.

Yup. I dislike BM for many reasons, but you have to give him props for what he's done. Out of all the QBs out there, he's in the top 5 of those that I'd want long term as a QB.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

JB has a tremendous opportunity to write his own story now. He has a very very solid team around him on both O and D. It's all up to him.

If he knocks it out of the park, nobody will ever talk about his mediocre college days again, nor talk about Chad Kelly's higher ceiling. If he and the team struggle, it'll continue to be discussed. 

He's in the driver seat. Cheering loud for him Sunday!

Oh...same here. He's definitely got what he needs to be successful now. I will be rooting for him too.

9 minutes ago, Lennon1940 said:

Oh I totally agree. Me complaining on a message board about all of this doesn’t make me like JB as a dude less or want to root for him any less. His destiny is tied to the destiny of the team. He’s the QB of our team and the team being successful is the ONLY thing that really matters to me. 

I think about what a great story it’d be to be awesome this year in spite of all that has occurred with Luck.

That's where I am at. But if I am being honest, I am skeptical...based on both the data and eye test. I have been wrong before...many times...so it wouldn't be anything new.

11 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. I dislike BM for many reasons, but you have to give him props for what he's done. Out of all the QBs out there, he's in the top 5 of those that I'd want long term as a QB.

He's a stud. I started paying more attention to him during the 2nd half of his senior season...along with the other QBs that year (cause we didn't know about Luck at that time)...and Baker was so damn accurate. Should have been the the #1 guy all along...CLE did not get that one wrong.

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

He's a stud. I started paying more attention to him during the 2nd half of his senior season...along with the other QBs that year (cause we didn't know about Luck at that time)...and Baker was so damn accurate. Should have been the the #1 guy all along...CLE did not get that one wrong.

yup. he was an 8 game swing by himself....

browns are sitting well right now. but... they are the browns :-)

2 hours ago, Lennon1940 said:

Trent Richardson  was a freakshow in college  and sucked in the nfl. You don't  need to be an elite college  qb to become a great nfl one.

10 minutes ago, Stephen said:

You don't  need to be an elite college  qb to become a great nfl one.

Unless you’re Tom Brady, actually you do. 

I think I’ve shown pretty irrefutable evidence in this thread that literally every single starting QB in this league with the exception of Tom Brady and Jacoby Brissett were elite college QB’s.

There’s only one dude on our roster who was an elite QB in college and it ain’t JB or Hoyer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lennon1940 said:

Unless you’re Tom Brady, actually you do. 

I think I’ve shown pretty irrefutable evidence in this thread that literally every single starting QB in this league with the exception of Tom Brady and Jacoby Brissett were elite college QB’s.

Well Brissett  is the next Brady/ kurt warner. He is the real deal. Pocket presence strong arm and great coaching staff and all doubters will be quieted soon enough.  NCAA state produced Philip rivers and Russell Wilson. Now Brissett  is ready to shine with better weapons and a full offseason. He'd have to be worse than curtis painter to fail.

11 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Well Brissett  is the next Brady/ kurt warner. He is the real deal. Pocket presence strong arm and great coaching staff and all doubters will be quieted soon enough.  NCAA state produced Philip rivers and Russell Wilson. Now Brissett  is ready to shine with better weapons and a full offseason. He'd have to be worse than curtis painter to fail.

Wilson went to Wisconsin 

next brady huh? guess we should expect 5 SB wins