Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We still have the best all around team in AFC South

I think Ballard has built the best overall team we have had since the Polian era, arguably as good as those teams. We have weapons, a young emerging Oline and defense, if our team as whole continues to trend up and quarterback is the last missing piece im ok with that.

• Like 1

Brissett has to prove it to me. I have 8-8. I had 11-5/12-4 with Luck and a final 4 appearance. We will win some games we shouldn't but watch we will lose some games we had no business losing. Luck's command at the line drawing guys offsides and reading plays was just great. Jacoby may have a stronger arm but he has to be able read defenses and make key throws doing so. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Brissett has to prove it to me. I have 8-8. I had 11-5/12-4 with Luck and a final 4 appearance. We will win some games we shouldn't but watch we will lose some games we had no business losing. Luck's command at the line drawing guys offsides and reading plays was just great. Jacoby may have a stronger arm but he has to be able read defenses and make key throws doing so. 

I think JB will be much better than 2017 IMO, but I still feel like we'll miss the playoffs at 7-9. Trade up and get the next great Colts qb. It's a franchise tradition.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DraftMaster said:

I think JB will be much better than 2017 IMO, but I still feel like we'll miss the playoffs at 7-9. Trade up and get the next great Colts qb. It's a franchise tradition.

That is what I see, 8-8 perhaps 7-9. What a disappointment from 11-5 or 12-4 right? I think it would be awesome if Brissett lit it up and started like 4-0 haha , now that would be a story.

• Like 1

Let us not forget that last year we won a ton of games that could have gone either way.....and that was with Luck.  The only real games I felt they played truly well in was Tenn and the Houston playoff game.

I think this is a good team with Luck.  Without him?

8-8 at best. 

Unless Chad Kelly really blossoms.  And I think he could.

• Like 1

Brissett managed 4-12 with a greatly inferior team, and had Colts in position to win late in most games.  He’s also been practicing with first team all camp compared to all of eight days from being the Pats 3rd Stringer to Colts starter.  While I cannot think of one thing he does as good or better than Luck, he’s no Curtis PInter.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Let us not forget that last year we won a ton of games that could have gone either way.....and that was with Luck.  The only real games I felt they played truly well in was Tenn and the Houston playoff game.

We skunked the Cowpies.... did you forget that one?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, fatboy said:

Brissett managed 4-12 with a greatly inferior team, and had Colts in position to win late in most games.  He’s also been practicing with first team all camp compared to all of eight days from being the Pats 3rd Stringer to Colts starter.  While I cannot think of one thing he does as good or better than Luck, he’s no Curtis PInter.  

I hope he’s every bit as good as some think on the forum. For the Colts to go at least as far as last season, JB will have to be more than just a good game manager.

With that being said, I can’t think of a better backup with JB’s locker presence to now be the guy due to Luck’s retirement. 

I’m kinda excited to see how a Luckless team performs. 

• Like 5

FROM Houston Texans Fan Forum in a topic thread titled "Andrew Luck Retires >>>>>>>>>>>Nook said: ↑

The Texans found their way to back into the playoffs again.

REPLY TO NOOK FROM TEXANS FAN Newlin >>>>>>>>Not so fast. I think the Colts are still better than the Texans.

#14 Newlin, Yesterday at 8:43 PM

Nook likes this.

1 hour ago, fatboy said:

Go back and look at the 4 teams be beat. 

Replacing Luck with Brissett and still claiming to have to best team in the division is confidence bordering on arrogance. 

It wasnt 100% certain that we actually had the best team BEFORE the retirement, it had a lot to do with projections for rookies and zero regression amongst the veterans.

After losing Luck......well.

• Like 2

I chose to reply to this topic because it wasn't negative. As stunned and disappointed as I was by Luck's departure, I am positive on this team. JB came in and won games as a boot rookie and with an entire preseason working with the ones, he may surprise a lot of people. I say give the guy his fair chance and remember its the second full season that usually defines NFL QBs. Whether JB has the chops to win playoff games is still open for conjecture, but we're certainly going to find out. You go Jacoby!

• Like 1

I think if you at position groups equally, we probably have the best all around team. 

But you can't look at them equally. The QB position is weighted much heavier. 

Going to say Jax is the clear leader now, with Houston shortly behind. I think we're about on par with TN at this point. 

I still think we can win the AFC South with Brissett.  If he was a rookie I would feel differently.  But he's far from that.  And our team is so much better than when he first arrived.  And I trust Reich to get the most out of him too.  Since Brissett arrived here so much has changed with the team and all for the better.  I actually think he can do it.  It's going to be an interesting year for sure.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He has to prove it to everyone... And if he can handle the pressure and win 9 to 11 games this season, I don't see any way possible they don't sign him to a multi year deal and get behind him 100% going forward...

• Like 2

I actually think it’s not going to be all Brissett that determines the outcome this year. It’s going to be the morale of the team to start the season. Ballard said character matters. Well now that is put to a test. Will they be able to rally around this situation or are they going to fold. I tend to think they will rally.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

All this Chad Kelly hype is laughable. He hasn't played against a first team yet. Let's see if the quarterback whisperer can work on Brissett

I wonder why the Colts signed him in the first place. His multiple police incidents makes it seem like he's a total ****. Character issues don't begin to describe it. He even made a terrorist mass shooting threat in a bar. wth? Not like he is 20 years old either. He's 25 for crying out loud. Is that somebody we want carrying the torch for the franchise?

I think we’ll know by mid October if JB is gonna be here next year or not. (I think he will btw). 

We we haven’t seen him in Reichs offence yet and he was NOT the problem in 2017.

Is he Andrew luck?.... no, but there aren’t many other teams with ANdrew luck caliber qbs. Is Brissett good enough to get to a Super Bowl? Rex Grossman did it and we can all agree he’s better than grossman 

• Like 3

I wonder how much this effects the running game. Without the threat of luck it could make the running game harder. It will be important for JB to make plays down field.

3 minutes ago, bestQBever said:

Our running game and especially defense is not even in the same universe as that seattle team.

Well we are trying to copy it. We will see about the defense.

It’s definitely the most well rounded team in the AFC south. A few key differences from Brissett in 2017 to the Brissett we get today... 

1) He actually knows the playbook and can run the full offense. Brissett didn’t land in Indianapolis in 2017 until September 2nd. That’s a big deal, and should help Brissett play with a much higher level of confidence.

2) So many more weapons. Brissett had Doyle, Moncrief, and Hilton to throw to in 2017. This year he has Hilton and Doyle as well as Ebron, Funchess, Campbell, Rogers, and Cain. He’ll have no shortage of targets to throw the ball to like he did in 2017. 

3) OFFENSIVE LINE! Brissett was the most sacked QB in the league in his lone year as a starter and one of the most rushed QB’s in the league as well. He didn’t have time to sit in the pocket and pick teams apart. With a much, much better offensive line this next season, Brissett should be able to get comfortable in the pocket and elevate his game.

Our team is still good enough to win the division, and though losing Luck sucks, Brissett is well respected by the rest of the team. The AFC South is up for grabs, and I like our chances as well as anyone else in the division.

• Like 3

I think we have the best coaching all around and best GM, yes. I think the Texans and Jags rosters can certainly rival us talent wise. I just happen to think they continually underachieve. A big part of that, imo, is how special Luck was and how the team wanted to play better when he was in the game and leading the team. I love the kid. It just rips my heart out man that this is happening.

With that said, I think Ballard has done an absolutely amazing job in his short time here, and that the team WILL for sure be the best in the AFC South in another year or two.

Houston and Jacksonville have better rosters than us without Luck. Jacksonville still has that defense and Houston still has Hopkins and Watt and the best QB in the division currently

13 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I wonder how much this effects the running game. Without the threat of luck it could make the running game harder. It will be important for JB to make plays down field.

Well we are trying to copy it. We will see about the defense.

Sorry but our defense is no where near that in terms of individual talent. Sherman Thomas Kam Brandon are better than anybody in this secondary even there slot corner was too. The closest team to that defense is the Jaguars

• Like 1

Houston's O Line is a turnstile, maybe bottom 3 in NFL, they lost lamar Miller so now have no lead back. Hopkins will make occasional plays, their D will fight hard before being worn down but honestly they are a dead team walking (Jay Ajayi signing perhaps, would help slightly ?). 

Jacksonville lacks playmakers on offense, a banged up  bust in Fournette and no wr tools.  Most here in Florida are expecting between 4-6 wins.

Tennesee has a real QB problem, how long before Tannehill replaces Mariotta and Ryan wasnt special by any means in Miami. They have a nice run game, decent D pieces, should place 2nd in division.

Colts have the most offensive weapons by far and the best line to protect the QB so he can find said weapons.  Defense took huge strides last season and not only return all key pieces but added J.Houston and Rock who should both play big roles. Indy is clearly the team to beat in what is likely the worst divison in football once again (Common theme over the past 15 years or so).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Houston's O Line is a turnstile, maybe bottom 3 in NFL, they lost lamar Miller so now have no lead back. Hopkins will make occasional plays, their D will fight hard before being worn down but honestly they are a dead team walking (Jay Ajayi signing perhaps, would help slightly ?). 

Jacksonville lacks playmakers on offense, a banged up  bust in Fournette and no wr tools.  Most here in Florida are expecting between 4-6 wins.

Tennesee has a real QB problem, how long before Tannehill replaces Mariotta and Ryan wasnt special by any means in Miami. They have a nice run game, decent D pieces, should place 2nd in division.

Colts have the most offensive weapons by far and the best line to protect the QB so he can find said weapons.  Defense took huge strides last season and not only return all key pieces but added J.Houston and Rock who should both play big roles. Indy is clearly the team to beat in what is likely the worst divison in football once again (Common theme over the past 15 years or so).

lamar miller isnt a huge loss, they can replace him with Duke Johnson, who they traded for a few weeks ago.  texans are the team to beat imo, and yeah they are flawed

we could have the worst QB in the division now, JB vs Mariota will be interesting.  Foles is pretty good imo but they do lack receivers