Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Former Colt Denzelle Good talks about the colts

CR91

hmmmmmm.... Sounds like there is a ton of missing information. If i was too speculate he missed the week and whoever took over for him did a better job so they get the start. He is upset about losing the starting job and isn't working as hard as he typically would due too everything weighing on his mind and all the stress of losing someone that close. He continue to gets frustrated and I'm sure he lashes out and gets push back from his coach and things are said between the two parties. I hope he excels in Oakland and 'm sorry for his loss, however its typically not a good idea too lash out against a former team when he is looking for a contract.  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Hmmm, it doesn’t sound like the way Reich and Ballard does business. Maybe DeGuglielmo didn’t handle the situation 100% perfect? 

He does come from the pats and you know their a no nonsense bunch so perhaps Good probably not giving 100 percent effort ticked him off. Of course this is all assumption. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Hmmm, it doesn’t sound like the way Reich and Ballard does business. Maybe DeGuglielmo didn’t handle the situation 100% perfect? 

Just now, CR91 said:

He does come from the pats and you know their a no nonsense bunch so perhaps Good probably not giving 100 percent ticked him off. Of course this is all assumption. 

Yeah, I think DeGuglielmo is an old-school "rub some dirt on it" type.  I can imagine neither he nor Good were getting what they wanted from the other...

Hopefully everything works out for both.

We're on to Tennessee.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I'm not gonna pile on him.  His brother was murdered, and that's a hard thing to deal with.  Wish him well with his new team.  Do good, Good.

I wish I could like this post twice.

Thanks for the reasoned, level-headed response.  

• Like 3

What a weird case. 

A position coach making those kinds of decisions? Isn’t that the head coach’s final call? 

Given the circumstances I’d say that kind of treatment of a player in that situation doesn’t sit well higher up. 

Wasn’t he gone for more than just a week? I thought he was gone for more than a week. Which is fine. In that situation football comes second. 

Which is why I don’t  understand the apparent hard stance taken on this by DeGuglielmo if that’s the case. He wasn’t pulling a Quinn Pitcock and sitting at home playing Call Of Duty. He had a legit reason to take time off. In fact, Ballard ENCOURAGED him to take time off. 

I’m not sure where the sentiment that he was not happy to start the season came from. It’s a stretch to call him a good player. He lost his job for a reason. 

He also tweeted this after his release:

Did he just lie there? Or is he lying about all of this in retrospect? 

• Like 1

I wish him well too. There is no reason not to.

But his very public remarks imply, if not outright say, that the Colts didn't give him a fair shot.

That is simply not true.

For 3 1/2 years the Colts desperately needed good linemen. For those 3 1/2 years Good was given every opportunity to hold down a starting position on the line. It never happened. It's terrible that his brother was killed, but that's not the reason he is no longer a Colt.

• Like 1

Total sour grapes it sounds to me. Unfortunately if you can't produce at any job you're gone, regardless of things happening in your personal life. All of us here have had to go to work and produce even when our personal lives weren't going great (job loss, death in family, health problems).

Gugs may not have been as nice as another boss, but there are plenty of * bosses regular people have dealt with during tough times in their lives.

Enjoy the raiders Denzel, it seems to have worked out for both sides.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

What a weird case. 

A position coach making those kinds of decisions? Isn’t that the head coach’s final call? 

Given the circumstances I’d say that kind of treatment of a player in that situation doesn’t sit well higher up. 

Wasn’t he gone for more than just a week? I thought he was gone for more than a week. Which is fine. In that situation football comes second. 

Which is why I don’t  understand the apparent hard stance taken on this by DeGuglielmo if that’s the case. He wasn’t pulling a Quinn Pitcock and sitting at home playing Call Of Duty. He had a legit reason to take time off. In fact, Ballard ENCOURAGED him to take time off. 

I’m not sure where the sentiment that he was not happy to start the season came from. It’s a stretch to call him a good player. He lost his job for a reason. 

He also tweeted this after his release:

Did he just lie there? Or is he lying about all of this in retrospect? 

John, JMO but i can't imagine Ballard not talking with all position coaches about each individual player. Also following each player regarding classroom, weight room, lockerroom and the practice field effort.
 Gug and Reich would also hash this out ongoing to put the best 46 guys active each week.
 Nope, i have a hard time believing Gug was off track pushing a limited ability Good to get his act together to be prepared to be the next man up. 

Weird story, hard to tell what's what but a few things are known.

- the Colts backed him big time after his brother's death

- Bereavement is no joke, everyone handles it differently, best of luck to the young man

- No need to knock his play, that shouldn't be brought up, like the other linemen, he had ups and downs. Heck, even Castonzo would be off the team if you listened to some know-it-alls

- Not sure what Coach Gugs said to him but he's FAR from a failure, a 7th rounder sticking around this long is a success

- There's definitely something lost in 'translation'. He left the team on good terms.

19 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

John, JMO but i can't imagine Ballard not talking with all position coaches about each individual player. Also following each player regarding classroom, weight room, lockerroom and the practice field effort.
 Gug and Reich would also hash this out ongoing to put the best 46 guys active each week.
 Nope, i have a hard time believing Gug was off track pushing a limited ability Good to get his act together to be prepared to be the next man up. 

Yeah there’s definitly a fishy smell there. 

That’s not the kind of ship Irsay runs. And I think he expects his GM to adhere to that as well. I also think it’s a safe bet that Reich wouldn’t allow it to happen on his watch, either. 

If this story is indeed true I’m sure it will be dealt with internally from the top, but I just don’t believe this went on the way he claims with Reich, Ballard, and Irsay all being in on it. 

On the same token, Gugs comes from New England where that sort of conduct is tolerated because it’s all business, and no personal issue is bigger than business, so I’m also not confident in saying that none of that was ever said to him, either. 

• Like 1

The Colts game him 2 weeks off, I understand why he felt so sad because his brother. That said though it's time to come back to work and if he didn't want to play for the team then I'm glad he got his release. The point is this is a man's game and sometimes you got to pull yourself together regardless of circumstances. I've dealt with chronic neuropathy in my abdomen for 5 years but I still going to work everyday even though some days are so painful I can't hardly stand it

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Weird story, hard to tell what's what but a few things are known.

- the Colts backed him big time after his brother's death

- Bereavement is no joke, everyone handles it differently, best of luck to the young man

- No need to knock his play, that shouldn't be brought up, like the other linemen, he had ups and downs. Heck, even Castonzo would be off the team if you listened to some know-it-alls

- Not sure what Coach Gugs said to him but he's FAR from a failure, a 7th rounder sticking around this long is a success

- There's definitely something lost in 'translation'. He left the team on good terms.

Sure it should.   His play was the major factor of him being released.  

I don't believe this is true - "He told me that as long as I was there, I would never play for him again"

Either he misunderstood Gugs or he's outright lying.   Rosters are not big enough to keep players that you don't intend to ever play again.

• Like 1

It would really suck if Gugs was a jerk to Good following the death of his brother. I hope that's not true. Even if it's not true, it's too bad Good felt that Gugs treated him poorly, and that he felt it was connected to his bereavement.

I don't want to offer any rationalizations or explanations about what might have happened; it would be pure conjecture, and it would come across as trying to defend the Colts or bashing Good, and I don't know that either of those is necessary or appropriate.

Like others have said, I hope he has success moving forward.

As it relates to the Colts, I hope Gugs is the kind of coach that players want to play hard for. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Myles said:

Sure it should.   His play was the major factor of him being released.  

Arguably the only factor, given that the franchise wanted to do right by him (as if they had a choice, tbh). If this same situation had happened to Q, or Kelly, they'd still be here, because they're, no pun intended this time, good.

I'm not trying to bash the guy, but there's very little about this that's unusual, besides the family tragedy. 

• Like 1

Being a manager for many years (just IT mind you), it is very rare that someone you let go in unpleasant circumstances says anything complimentary about their former employee. Next we will be comparing Gugs to ol' Bill.

Thank goodness we have a big game coming up and I can't wait to see if Andrew is in long sleeves.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, braveheartcolt said:

Being a manager for many years (just IT mind you), it is very rare that someone you let go in unpleasant circumstances says anything complimentary about their former employee. Next we will be comparing Gugs to ol' Bill.

Thank goodness we have a big game coming up and I can't wait to see if Andrew is in long sleeves.

Why would he be in long sleeves? Ain't gonna be that cold.

I only have a couple former employees that have good things to say about me. I have never fired anyone for unjust causes. They brought it all upon themselves but tend to focus on one particular incident, that put in a vacuum, makes them look wronged. Former employees hardly ever look objectively at their entire body of work to understand why it didn’t work out.  Good businesses don’t fire good employees.  They do fire bad employees that have good moments that our outweighed by the baggage that goes along with them. 

Example: My brother was fired for the 3rd time in 2yrs from a job. After each one he had a story about how he was wronged and they let go their best fork truck driver, painter then plumber. He got mad whenever I told him businesses don’t fire their best employee especially when they supposedly became the best in a few months. Typical can’t recognize his own faults while over valuing his own worth.