Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How do we beat the titans

Stephen

On 11/13/2018 at 10:16 AM, chad72 said:

Titans give up the fewest points to the TE position due to their LB strengths, across the league. They also give up the 7th most points to WRs, it would be a mistake to not utilize our WRs. Butler is susceptible to a double move. We don't have to force it but we can hit on a few chunk plays to TY. I'd say run more plays for Inman on the outside for the element of the unknown, stay patient, protect Luck and be ready to play 60 minutes.

Our D being able to pressure Mariota and get sacks is what this game will come down to because we won't be able to score 30 on them. We have to grind out a 27-20 type game against them, IMO.

Pressure and sacks is a good point, but they also have to be careful with it.  They need to get pressure without letting him scramble.  If they can provide pressure to make him get rid of the ball before he wants to that is great.  But if they provide pressure that forces him to scramble and escape the pocket, he is very good on the move and will pick apart the D.

The Titans had a TON of success while blitzing last week vs the Pats from different alignments and with different blitzers (a lot of ILB blitzes) and I expect them to try to shake our offensive line with some of those. They are one of the defenses that blitzes the most in the NFL. I'm not super worried about that since I trust Andrew to find the open man when he faces the blitz, but still worth pointing out. Also - Kevin Byard has been one of the best safeties in the league last two years and it's going to interesting to see if he's going to be able to take away some of our TEs and more specifically Ebron. 

What I'm most worried about is our defense. I'm not sure we can do enough to stop them and Mariota has been steadily getting better. 

Greetings from Nashville.

First, not one is saying here that the Titans are Super Bowl contenders but they did knock off both Super Bowl teams (Eagles, Pats) this year for whatever that's worth.

The Titans have been a strange team to follow.  It began with Mariota getting injured (again)  Week 1 on his throwing hand which led to a strange game in Week 2 versus the Jags where we won 9-6 where Blaine Gabbert played and we threw every piece of trickery at the Jags to win that one.  When Mariota did come back, his throwing hand wasn't the same and despite him seeming like he was ok in the Eagles victory, the true story was that he was just having trouble holding onto the football which led to problems with the Buffalo game (Loss) and the Ravens debacle (shutout).  

Things got better in London for the Chargers game where we were a bad decision by Coach Vrabel kept us from winning that one.  Since then the Titans have apparently found a good groove, beating the Cowboys at Jerry World and stomping on the Pats at home.

During all of this the defense has gone from ok to really good.  They aren't the best in the league (#6 right now) but they are the best scoring defense in the league and the best in the red zone.  And that was with a few key injuries.  This week we should be back to full strength or close to it.  While the offense struggled early on, the defense kept us in every game except the Ravens game and they still only gave up 21 points.

Everyone on the team spent the first half of the season getting used to the new coaching staff and  vice versa.  It looks a lot better now than in the first few weeks with better decision making.  Matt LaFleur looks like he has Mariota figured out and is using him to the best of his abilities meaning to keep him in the pocket and his eyes downfield but a few designed runs in the bag of tricks at the right time.  And Dean Pees' defense isn't really afraid of anyone right now, especially after the dismantling of Brady's offense.

That being said, everyone here is talking about the streak.....Luck is 9-0 against the Titans and Luck looks like he's the Luck of old.  In past years, TY Hilton and a combination of TEs have always downed the Titans chances.  Meanwhile Mariota who has relied on TEs for years, specifically Delanie Walker can't since Walker dislocated his ankle in week 1 and our #1 receiver quit the team.  So for the first time, Mariota's first option is to the remaining wideouts and they have been stepping up in recent weeks, especially first round pick from last year Cory Davis.  If Mariota is dealing successfully to Davis, it'll be a long day for the Colts defense.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sevenfeet said:

That being said, everyone here is talking about the streak.....Luck is 9-0 against the Titans and Luck looks like he's the Luck of old. 

No one here is talking about our past against you guys. Your team is legit (thanks for doing the Pats old school), and fans here will count themselves relieved should we get the W. The AFC South is becoming the division we thought it would at the beginning of the season. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Sevenfeet said:

First, not one is saying here that the Titans are Super Bowl contenders but they did knock off both Super Bowl teams (Eagles, Pats) this year for whatever that's worth.

Not much considering neither team looks anything like they did last year, imo. Brady was definitely off against the Titans. Sure, some of that was the defense, but I think more of it had to do with him just being off his game. I’m not trying to take anything away from the Titans, the Colts didn’t beat either of them, I’m just saying the fact they were both in the super bowl last year isn’t relevant to this year.  

It should be a good game this Sunday but hopefully Luck can keep his streak alive. 

3 hours ago, Sevenfeet said:

The Titans have been a strange team to follow.  It began with Mariota getting injured (again)  Week 1 on his throwing hand which led to a strange game in Week 2 versus the Jags where we won 9-6 where Blaine Gabbert played and we threw every piece of trickery at the Jags to win that one.  When Mariota did come back, his throwing hand wasn't the same and despite him seeming like he was ok in the Eagles victory, the true story was that he was just having trouble holding onto the football which led to problems with the Buffalo game (Loss) and the Ravens debacle (shutout).  

Things got better in London for the Chargers game where we were a bad decision by Coach Vrabel kept us from winning that one.  Since then the Titans have apparently found a good groove, beating the Cowboys at Jerry World and stomping on the Pats at home.

During all of this the defense has gone from ok to really good.  They aren't the best in the league (#6 right now) but they are the best scoring defense in the league and the best in the red zone.  And that was with a few key injuries.  This week we should be back to full strength or close to it.  While the offense struggled early on, the defense kept us in every game except the Ravens game and they still only gave up 21 points.

Everyone on the team spent the first half of the season getting used to the new coaching staff and  vice versa.  It looks a lot better now than in the first few weeks with better decision making.  Matt LaFleur looks like he has Mariota figured out and is using him to the best of his abilities meaning to keep him in the pocket and his eyes downfield but a few designed runs in the bag of tricks at the right time.  And Dean Pees' defense isn't really afraid of anyone right now, especially after the dismantling of Brady's offense.

That being said, everyone here is talking about the streak.....Luck is 9-0 against the Titans and Luck looks like he's the Luck of old.  In past years, TY Hilton and a combination of TEs have always downed the Titans chances.  Meanwhile Mariota who has relied on TEs for years, specifically Delanie Walker can't since Walker dislocated his ankle in week 1 and our #1 receiver quit the team.  So for the first time, Mariota's first option is to the remaining wideouts and they have been stepping up in recent weeks, especially first round pick from last year Cory Davis.  If Mariota is dealing successfully to Davis, it'll be a long day for the Colts defense.

Dont worry the way our defense is playing Mariota may look like Drew brees

The Titans will be sent to their tomb as Colts finish them off with a murderous sonic boom!!!  Bloody beaten and battered like a worn down busted tire the Colts will burn the flesh of their bones with the infamous yoga fire!!  

I’m assuming it will be something like that.  Maybe sprinkle in a Hadouken or two.  

This is a legit test for this team, and both sides really as both are sort of rolling right now.  I like that it's at home though.  I know the Titans have shut down the TE position, but this Colts team is 3 deep in that department, and maybe the best unit in the NFL.  I highly doubt they have enough good LB's to shut all those guys down, particularly if we go with 2 tights.  Ebron is likely a Pro Bowler and Doyle has been one.  The nice thing is you can run off those formations as well.  I think the Colts HAVE to establish some sort of run game here.  I also think they need to get out to a lead.  If they are playing from behind, I'm not liking their chances much.  Tenn has a pass rush.  We don't right now, but it gets easier if you put them in throwing situations.  Keep Tenn in 3rd-and-long (or get a good lead) and you have a better shot at success against Mariota IMHO.  If they can still use their potent run game, it could be trouble even though the Colts haven't been too bad in that dept.  Guys like Dion Lewis scare me and have given the Colts fits in the past (see Darren Sproles).

So, I'd say get a good lead and establish the run game and go frequent 2 TE's.  I think the Colts could pull it off if they execute well.  Seeing something like 26-24 Colts (I hope).

• Like 1

On 11/12/2018 at 8:09 PM, Stephen said:

They don't  allow many points and mariota will look great versus our d

Since you're not getting many intelligent answers to your questions here's a few honest thoughts.

First, like a good Belichick disciple, Vrabel will take away our best offensive weapon of late, which is Ebron.  Reich being smart, will likely feature Doyle this game so I expect to see a lot go Jack's way as a preventative countermeasure.  Second, I expect to see us get serious about the run game again, we can win through the air, no doubt, but Coach will want to establish the threat of the run game to set up so deep strikes and keep the pressure off Andrew, so I would expect to see some shots deep and a corresponding return of the Mack!  Final point on offense is the longer we stay on the field the better given our defense has hard time getting off it which again points to committing to the run game. 

As for defense, we have to get to the passer, perhaps we blitz more this game than in previous tilts.  Mariota is not a prolific passer so when you do blitz it can open up running lanes depending on the coverage.  So I don't expect to see us suddenly blitzing like crazy but if Mariota is 12-15 for 150 at the half I can see us sending some athletes at him in the second half.  I also expect to see us rotate the DLine as much as possible, perhaps we can generate more pressure with fresher legs like we did early in the year.  

Something like that would be my formula. All that said, I really have no idea what will actually happen. :) 

• Like 1

When I looked at the last Colt’s game, I saw issues that are correctable:

Special teams

This has been a strength this year and I’m hoping last week was the exception. Two 40 yard returns, a missed field goal and very little return yards by us.

Pass defense 

No sacks, LBs and secondary missing assignments.

Again, these players are young and inexperienced. If the Colts keep winning, I would argue there is enough talent on the D to make the playoffs. 

Mental mistakes (dropped passes, missed assignments, penalties, etc). Again, correctable. 

Confidence comes from the things they are doing right; coaching, keeping their eyes on the game at hand, the Oline, Luck, the run game, less drops by receivers who are now getting open and run defense. In every area listed, the Colts have improved. Tennessee has too and could win but this is a contest by two hot teams who are well coached. 

I could see the Colts playing well and winning by more than 7 but it could be tight and go either way. Should be a good game.

12 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Colts will win but not before they give everyone an ulcer because our Defense will give up points to make it interesting, we need at least 27 to win this game. I can see something like 27-24 or 30-27 like last weeks game. They have a better Offense than the Jags do.

Watch this will be the game when they play like they were playing earlier in the season.  That's how these guys are. As soon as you write them off for being a weak link they surprise you.

The more I think about it the more I am worried about this game.  We scored a couple of touchdowns last week that were a result of blown coverages.  I don't think we will see that from the Titans.  I think we have to get the running game to win this one.  A performance like last week won't be enough.  Fairly even teams.  Let's see who has the better coaching staff to get the win. 

19 hours ago, Sevenfeet said:

Welcome to the Colts forum.  It used to be we would get 3-8 fans from the opposing team every week to post on here and maybe that will start up again now that the Colts are becoming a football team again.

The Pats was a good win for the Titans but against the Chargers Vrabels decision didn't cost the Titans the win, it cost the Titans a tie and a chance for a win.  Big difference.

Anyway the Titans are a good team, and like the Colts, are trending upwards.  The Colts D is not as bad as they have looked the last couple of weeks because they will be getting some bodies back that help the D to click, I think this will be a good game and it very well could be the team that has the ball last will win it.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2018 at 12:20 PM, Gramz said:

So funny.  Fans get like that after Taking down the Pats.   Let them enjoy!  

I think our team is coming together tho. I think we can beat them.

If we hadn't been missing 7 of our starters when we played the Pats I believe we would have won that game.:thmup:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JustAColtsFan said:

If we hadn't been missing 7 of our starters when we played the Pats I believe we would have won that game.:thmup:

Very well could be.  The Colts made it more of a game than the final score indicated.  Not only missing the starters but then they lost another 3 or 4 during the game.

11 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Welcome to the Colts forum.  It used to be we would get 3-8 fans from the opposing team every week to post on here and maybe that will start up again now that the Colts are becoming a football team again.

The Pats was a good win for the Titans but against the Chargers Vrabels decision didn't cost the Titans the win, it cost the Titans a tie and a chance for a win.  Big difference.

Anyway the Titans are a good team, and like the Colts, are trending upwards.  The Colts D is not as bad as they have looked the last couple of weeks because they will be getting some bodies back that help the D to click, I think this will be a good game and it very well could be the team that has the ball last will win it.

Thanks for the hospitality.  I joined this board a few years back and usually lurk and occasionally comment before a Colts - Titans game.

The end of the Chargers game was not the coaching decision you’re thinking.  Yes, we could have kicked the PAT and taken our chances in OT, which wasn’t a bad move considering we’d just changed the momentum at the end.  But what I was referring to was that the 2 pt conversion actually had two plays.  The first play was a pass that ended in a pass interference, placing the ball on the 1.  At this point Vrabel dials up another slant pass play.  When you have Dion Lewis, Derrick Henry and Mariota in your backfield and don’t use any of them to get one yard, that’s not a good call.  And neither of the backs were on the field to even keep the defense honest if you really felt the pass was the best move.  This was the conversation in Nashville after the game.

12 hours ago, richard pallo said:

The more I think about it the more I am worried about this game.  We scored a couple of touchdowns last week that were a result of blown coverages.  I don't think we will see that from the Titans.  I think we have to get the running game to win this one.  A performance like last week won't be enough.  Fairly even teams.  Let's see who has the better coaching staff to get the win. 

Well Malcolm Butler has been the king of blown coverages for us.  The Pats game was the first time all season he hadn’t gotten burned for a long TD.  Hopefully he’s figured out what he needs to do but I expect Luck to test him.

12 hours ago, krunk said:

Watch this will be the game when they play like they were playing earlier in the season.  That's how these guys are. As soon as you write them off for being a weak link they surprise you.

The Titans are hot NOW!

They just beat the Oatriots and they beat the Cowboys IN Dallas.   We’re catching them at their best.

I believe I read this week they have the number one Red Zone defense in all of football.    This is a very good team that appears to have figured things out.

I think this game will be a HUGE challenge.    I think we have our hands full....

• Like 1

On 11/15/2018 at 3:22 PM, Sevenfeet said:

What's up, glad we got a visitor on our board. Hope ya enjoy the forum.

Tennessee is insanely hot, and are clicking on all cylinders. Your team SHOULD be confident coming into this match up. But we're confident too. For once, we got an Oline, and we're seeing what Andrew Luck is doing when he gets good protection. 17 TDs, 6 ints for about 270 YPG and a 67 % completion (and keep in mind, 4 of those 7 picks were directly off Colts players drops). Our run game is a threat, and even when they got shut down, we were still able to torch the number 1 ranked pass defense in Jacksonville last week. Frank Reich and Nick Sirriani are doing a splendid job scheming guys open and creating mismatches. Dean Pees better have his defense ready and disciplined or else we might see some blown coverage like the Jaguars last week. 

Our defense is our Achilles heel surprise surprise. Expect Mariota to complete a ton of his passes with the soft zone implemented. Some of us are complaining about the lack of disguises and coverages, but we really don't have the talent to run anything overzealous. If Malik Hooker can't play, we're in trouble. Even with the soft zone, we haven't really been beat deep down the middle, EXCEPT against Oakland, when Hooker was out. If he's not playing, Corey Davis might just be too much. 

We gotta get pressure on Mariota, which won't be easy considering 1) He's elusive 2) You guys got a good Oline too. Time + Plus soft zone = lots of completions, which is what happened last week. Colts gotta swarm better against Tennessee than they did J'Ville though. Our game against Washington, Alex Smith completed 71 % of his passes, yet we kept em to 9 points because we got pressure, forcing short throws, and we came up and made the tackles. Dion Lewis' performance will be key towards the outcome of this game I think.

Anyways, enjoy the forum, and good luck this Sunday. Hope your team loses though haha 

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Titans are hot NOW!

They just beat the Oatriots and they beat the Cowboys IN Dallas.   We’re catching them at their best.

I believe I read this week they have the number one Red Zone defense in all of football.    This is a very good team that appears to have figured things out.

I think this game will be a HUGE challenge.    I think we have our hands full....

I do too. Notice I'm not talking a lot of trash about them this year like I usually do. They have a solid team and they play like their coach was known to play when he played. Going to be a challenging game.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2018 at 8:54 PM, Malakai432 said:

The Titans will be sent to their tomb as Colts finish them off with a murderous sonic boom!!!  Bloody beaten and battered like a worn down busted tire the Colts will burn the flesh of their bones with the infamous yoga fire!!  

I’m assuming it will be something like that.  Maybe sprinkle in a Hadouken or two.  

We will drink blood from the skulls of our enemies!

• Like 1

I completely respect the Titans this year. But, will they try to take away Hilton or Ebron?  That's a pick your poison scenario.  I don't think they can do both.  But if they are able to, I think Reich has no problem dialing up other players.  That is not our issue this year.  Rookie drops, an injured AV, special teams mistakes and not enough pressure on the opposing QB have been. The 1st 3 are correctable, the last one who knows.  But, I think that Darius Leonard "shows off for the legendary Colts players that will be there and makes up for some of our defensive defficiencies.   That's my  hope.  I actually see it playing out similar to the Jags game.  However, if the Titans are the one to  jump out to a big lead, we know we have the ability to catch up and overcome.  Anxious.

On 11/15/2018 at 6:30 PM, Stephen said:

Dont worry the way our defense is playing Mariota may look like Drew brees

I actually think the d will look fine in this game.  Mariota is dangerous outside the pocket.  We don’t have a great pass rush but they can contain and force him to throw.  

While they are maybe hot right now, Tenn is still 30th in total O. Dallas IMO is not a world beater.  Pats win was great. And remember, Tenn is also the same team that lost to the Bills and got shut out by the Ravens.

It should come down to our O vs their D. I like our chances at home with this OL. If the OL protects Luck, he'll find WRs/TEs.

Great chance to make a statement, get to .500, and creep closer to Houston.