Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How do we beat the titans

Stephen

1 hour ago, runthepost said:

Attack linebackers with Tightends and HBs. Their secondary is too good to force to our receivers 

Titans give up the fewest points to the TE position due to their LB strengths, across the league. They also give up the 7th most points to WRs, it would be a mistake to not utilize our WRs. Butler is susceptible to a double move. We don't have to force it but we can hit on a few chunk plays to TY. I'd say run more plays for Inman on the outside for the element of the unknown, stay patient, protect Luck and be ready to play 60 minutes.

Our D being able to pressure Mariota and get sacks is what this game will come down to because we won't be able to score 30 on them. We have to grind out a 27-20 type game against them, IMO.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

If they play and gameplan like they did vs the cheaters WE PROBABLY WON'T WIN.

But they are the Titans and are inconsistent like most other teams and could possibly lay a egg and if they do we can win.

Tennessee can absolutely win this game - no argument from me there.  But is really the only way the Colts can win is if Tennessee plays poorly - as you said - "lays an egg?"

18 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Tennessee can absolutely win this game - no argument from me there.  But is really the only way the Colts can win is if Tennessee plays poorly - as you said - "lays an egg?"

Tennessee is more Balanced than we are. Our Defense and scheme is a definite weakness. One that they are very capable of exploiting.

I Think Tennessee's best effort will beat our best effort. But will we get their best effort?

I'm picking the Colts in a close game.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Tennessee is more Balanced than we are. Our Defense and scheme is a definite weakness. One that they are very capable of exploiting.

I Think Tennessee's best effort will beat our best effort. But will we get their best effort?

I'm picking the Colts in a close game.

That is a reasonable answer.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, CamMo said:

A couple good wins and Titan fans are acting like they are going to the Super Bowl. 

THIS win, would be huge. I’m hoping to see a lot of vintage Luck and TY receptions. 

So funny.  Fans get like that after Taking down the Pats.   Let them enjoy!  

I think our team is coming together tho. I think we can beat them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

Titans give up the fewest points to the TE position due to their LB strengths, across the league. They also give up the 7th most points to WRs, it would be a mistake to not utilize our WRs. Butler is susceptible to a double move. We don't have to force it but we can hit on a few chunk plays to TY. I'd say run more plays for Inman on the outside for the element of the unknown, stay patient, protect Luck and be ready to play 60 minutes.

Our D being able to pressure Mariota and get sacks is what this game will come down to because we won't be able to score 30 on them. We have to grind out a 27-20 type game against them, IMO.

Whoops I read something wrong 

Without verifying it someone said yesterday the Titans have the best defense in the NFL. If that is true AND Mariota is on track versus playing poorly then it may be a long day especially with the Colts running game. The Colts played like they were sipping magic the first half last week then bellied up in the second half. It should be a nail biter. Protect #12 no matter what!

To the guy who said “people think we’re playing drew brees”. Did you not watch WHAT BLAKE BORTLES did to us?! Look you can probably get away with not having good corners if your pass rush is good. But you can’t be bad at both. On paper/real life/ and even madden we have the least talented cornerbacks in the league. Our #1 is a nickel corner at most. Luck is playing lights out. But the D Line going soft and the corners playing even softer is not good for our playoff hopes.

The TN def is legit.  According to the AER, after week 9 the Titans have the #3 most efficient defense (for those that tout Buffalo or Jax's D, they are #18 and #12 in the AER respectively) and there is a good chance they move up to #2 with how well they played against the Pats.  That being said, the Colts offense is legit as well and have been pretty much unstoppable since the 2nd half of the Patriots game (I believe they went very vanilla in the 2nd half against the Jags because they didn't want to show them the offensive adjustments in the 2nd half (I can explain that more if anyone wants to know what I mean)).  

Some additional, IMO, important stats.  Colts are scoring 2.44 points per drive (ppd).  Tenn is giving up 1.59 ppd.  On the flip side Tenn is scoring 1.89 ppd and the Colts are giving up 2.17 ppd.

With the way the Colts have been using the TEs for the past few weeks, I expect Tenn to game plan around stopping the TEs from having a big impact.  Which means I think the Colts game plan needs to be to use the TEs as decoys and run a lot of delayed hand offs, and stretch plays to the weakside.  Focus on the running game and then come hit them with some deep throws.

Defensively as much as Colts fans hated it, I think they need to play Tenn the same way they did Jax, they just need to tackle better.  Keep it all in front of them, force the Tenn O to have 9-12 play drives in order to score.  I definitely didn't think I would say something like this when they signed him, but the Colts need Mitchell back.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Without verifying it someone said yesterday the Titans have the best defense in the NFL. If that is true AND Mariota is on track versus playing poorly then it may be a long day especially with the Colts running game. The Colts played like they were sipping magic the first half last week then bellied up in the second half. It should be a nail biter. Protect #12 no matter what!

I don't know where the Titans rank but I read today where the Bills have the No.1 ranked defense.  There are probably a lot of rankings out there though, take your pick.  Either way the Titans are good. 

5 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

The TN def is legit.  According to the AER, after week 9 the Titans have the #3 most efficient defense (for those that tout Buffalo or Jax's D, they are #18 and #12 in the AER respectively) and there is a good chance they move up to #2 with how well they played against the Pats.  That being said, the Colts offense is legit as well and have been pretty much unstoppable since the 2nd half of the Patriots game (I believe they went very vanilla in the 2nd half against the Jags because they didn't want to show them the offensive adjustments in the 2nd half (I can explain that more if anyone wants to know what I mean)).  

Some additional, IMO, important stats.  Colts are scoring 2.44 points per drive (ppd).  Tenn is giving up 1.59 ppd.  On the flip side Tenn is scoring 1.89 ppd and the Colts are giving up 2.17 ppd.

With the way the Colts have been using the TEs for the past few weeks, I expect Tenn to game plan around stopping the TEs from having a big impact.  Which means I think the Colts game plan needs to be to use the TEs as decoys and run a lot of delayed hand offs, and stretch plays to the weakside.  Focus on the running game and then come hit them with some deep throws.

Defensively as much as Colts fans hated it, I think they need to play Tenn the same way they did Jax, they just need to tackle better.  Keep it all in front of them, force the Tenn O to have 9-12 play drives in order to score.  I definitely didn't think I would say something like this when they signed him, but the Colts need Mitchell back.

Dead on with the bolded. The underlined is exactly what I was thinking.

7 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I think getting Hairston back will help us a lot as well as Mitchell.  Mitchell's experience could be a difference maker.  Let's stop telegraphing the soft coverage.  Can we at least stop dropping into coverage before the ball is snapped.

18 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

I'm on record as saying Mariota is trash and I still think he is. However, he will have a very good day against our defense if we continue to have no pass rush and leave wide open gaps in the zone. Dion Lewis could feast. Up to the offense to score and keep scoring.

Mariota is having a pretty good season overall.   Completing 67% of his passes and has a QB rating of 90.   We are going to have to score allot of points.  

8 hours ago, Mitch Connors said:

Well to be fair to his post the Titans "almost" beat the Chargers, got housed by the Ravens,  lost to the Dolphins and lost to the Bills. So to his point; other than beating the Pats what have they done? 

But since condescension seems to be the best medicine here you go....solid response from you Dennis Miller.

Nobody is claiming the Titans are a powerhouse.....but neither are the colts.  If all it took to win was "Luck > opposing QB" the NFL the colts would have better results. 

8 hours ago, Mitch Connors said:

Well to be fair to his post the Titans "almost" beat the Chargers, got housed by the Ravens,  lost to the Dolphins and lost to the Bills. So to his point; other than beating the Pats what have they done? 

But since condescension seems to be the best medicine here you go....solid response from you Dennis Miller.

Nobody is claiming the Titans are a powerhouse.....but neither are the colts.  If all it took to win was "Luck > opposing QB" the NFL the colts would have better results. 

After two 200 yard rushing performances, the Jags expected us to pound it, but we came out throwing, in a lot of empty sets.  

Vrabel will do his best Belichick and attempt to take away the TE game, so I wouldn't doubt if we stretch the field, play a little Arians ball and see a lot of TY.  Then again, we might just keep doing what we're doing until someone can stop it.

17 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Our O.Line is the key in this game. The pressure they put on Tom was scary good. If Luck stays pressure free for most of the day we should be fine. This will be another tight game, I predicted we would beat the Jags 27-24 and it was 29-26. I can see this being something like 27-24 Colts again, yeah that close. We will need at least 27 to win this game. 

I can see this being 35-10.  We're going to score points,..a lot.  First off, When asked about how they felt about when the Jags D-line just sent 4 rushers, they said it was "insulting". Then the Jags started sending blitzes and the O-line said "Nothing we can't handle".  And this was not beaming or talking smack. It was an even keel, matter of fact statement.  These guys have serious confidence right now.

That being said, Reich is going to test each of the waters.  First the run game, then the pass to TE's, then WR's.  The Titans are not going to be able to slow down our entire repertoire of arsenals. What works, Reich is going to let them have an abundance of it like he has with each game.

Our defense will be fine for this game.  This is the first time i've said this since Buffalo.  Henry don't scare me, and Lewis is a scat back with hands.  Walker and Leonard will be charged with hitting them on dump-offs.  It's not going to happen often.  Mariota is going to want chunk plays because he's going to be in a hole too fast to think about the RB's.  He'll get a few chunk plays,...but in the process of getting them, he's going to give the ball to Indy a couple times, which is just going to give Luck and Reich more ammo to make the lead even bigger.  It's going to be an ugly cycle for the Titans.

• Like 1

Tyquan Lewis I think will start to catch on. He looked okay last game. He got around the edge a lot. If Turay comes back we’ll finally have a rotation to keep the DE fresh. Health is killing this team. I except to to get healthier as we stay home for one more week. 

2 hours ago, needanoline63 said:

To the guy who said “people think we’re playing drew brees”. Did you not watch WHAT BLAKE BORTLES did to us?! Look you can probably get away with not having good corners if your pass rush is good. But you can’t be bad at both. On paper/real life/ and even madden we have the least talented cornerbacks in the league. Our #1 is a nickel corner at most. Luck is playing lights out. But the D Line going soft and the corners playing even softer is not good for our playoff hopes.

Our #1 corner is Moore II. And actually he's pretty good.

Also, you talk about nickel corners like they are the gutter trash of the DB world.  That is the furthest from the truth.  MOST #1 corners can not play nickel.  Most #1's are bigger, stronger, more physical, to match up with most #1 receivers.  Nickel corners usually have to deal with small shifty, fast receivers.  Usually big corners have a lot of trouble with those. 

The good news is; the Colts are one of the top scoring offenses in the league. Only Mahomes (31) has thrown more touchdowns than Luck (26) this year. The Colts are also the highest scoring offense the Titans will have faced so far this year. They Colts WILL score on the Titans.

On the flip side,the Titans don't light up the scoreboard as a rule; 169 points in 9 outings for an 18.8 average ppg.

I'd rush 4, but send a safety around the edge every once in a while to put Mariota down and/or force some poor throws.

I like the Reich & the Colts in this one.

5 hours ago, Myles said:

Mariota is having a pretty good season overall.   Completing 67% of his passes and has a QB rating of 90.   We are going to have to score allot of points.  

Yeah but he has less touchdowns on the season than Luck does in his past 3 games. He can be solid and accurate but so far nowhere near the dynamic player expected from the #2 overall pick. But like you said, without pressure he will perform well against the Colts D.

• Like 1

If we show up on offense and defense, I think we will win.

I'm just not quite sure this team is up to the task. I was very impressed by the Jags win, however there were several blown coverages and the second half offense was ugly. I like the speed and effort on our defense but there's been a few boneheaded plays that make me reserve my judgement (like the Moncrief TD, checkdowns that turn into first downs, lack of pass rush). I think our team has the coaching and talent to beat the Titans, but maybe not the experience and chemistry (yet). Honestly, if we win and make a serious push for the playoffs, we are overachieving in year 1 of this makeover and I'm here for it.

22 hours ago, chad72 said:

Yes. This is one of the weeks where TY can't be used as a decoy and should be a focal point of the gameplan IMO. I'm anxious to see what Reich and co draw up this week.

The offense also needs to be able to run the ball. I can't emphasize how important this is. The Colts pass protection has been better because of the threat of the running game and teams are no longer able to just tee off on the passing game like before. The Colts didn't run the ball that well in the game against Jacksonville and it showed in the second half (especially on the 3rd and 1 late in the game).

On defense, the Colts have to get some pressure this week. While the Titans running game isn't as much of a threat as Jacksonville's, Mariota is better than Bortles when it comes to downfield passing and the Colts CB's just aren't good enough to hold up in coverage and give up the big play far too often.

This will be a tough test and any hope for a playoff spot lives and dies with this game.

They need to key In on two players. Lewis and Davis. They should probably play man and match Wilson up on Davis with safety help over the top.

Other than that it shouldn’t even be close. They need to let Ebron feast and not put him on the sideline the 2nd half like they like to do.

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:52 PM, Four2itus said:

They average giving up 19ppg. We'll probably allow another 6 or 7. That means we have to score at least 28. 

I watched the pats play them last week a lot of their trouble on offense is that they couldn't catch the ball brady had guys open and the ball went through their hands every time.