Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Even if Doyle holds on and Luck throws a game winning TD, there are still problems

IcyRhythms

Run game looks the same ol same ol. Run defense looks just as average as it always has. Luck appears to be back, possibly even better, but that doesn't help us much when you have Geathers making a hell of a mistake on a huge down. That receiver didn't even have a chance that ball, and had he caught it, he would have been tackled before the first down marker anyway. I know if we crush the Redskins there is going to be a lot of hype. We have some pretty tough games ahead. We can't even beat the Bengals. It's just one game. All hope isn't lost. I still think we have a very competitive team. We just have to get it together collectively. Jags the class the of the division and barely beat an average Giants team. I know some only see the W or the L in the NFL. I try and analyze the entire situation of a game. It's never one play that decides a game. It's many positive things, or many negative things. A combination of both is what I seen today. Go Colts!

I thought that we played great all things considered.  Here are the complaints so far.

Defense- The defense only gave up 27 points. If Geathers does not make a bonehead play then they would have only given up 20 points. Not bad for a lot of players playing for the first time.

Running Game. We were playing our 3rd team running back and we were without our 2 starting tackles. 

I think that this is a team on the rise. Not his year but one more draft and we should be ready to compete. 

• Like 1

A lot of positives today:

1)Luck is back

2) big Q did a good job on Geno

3) Darius Leonard is baller 

4) Wilkins is going to be good has good vision and falls forward.

5) Hines is a weapon

6) Hunt was really good

7) our young pass rushers will get better 

A lot of bad today which I won’t list. This is a young team and as much as I’m mad it will get better. 

• Like 3

Can’t believe how many...just plain ignorant...comments have been made in the various threads after the game.  

No need to answer them. If they can’t understand how young the D is, that the coaches are all new, and that Cincy has a waaaay better team, then just let them continue to make fools of themselves.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IcyRhythms said:

Run game looks the same ol same ol. Run defense looks just as average as it always has. Luck appears to be back, possibly even better, but that doesn't help us much when you have Geathers making a hell of a mistake on a huge down. That receiver didn't even have a chance that ball, and had he caught it, he would have been tackled before the first down marker anyway. I know if we crush the Redskins there is going to be a lot of hype. We have some pretty tough games ahead. We can't even beat the Bengals. It's just one game. All hope isn't lost. I still think we have a very competitive team. We just have to get it together collectively. Jags the class the of the division and barely beat an average Giants team. I know some only see the W or the L in the NFL. I try and analyze the entire situation of a game. It's never one play that decides a game. It's many positive things, or many negative things. A combination of both is what I seen today. Go Colts!

mack and our starting left tackle will fix that when they return. 

I didn't like the play calling today too many screens and conservative calls our running game was surprisingly weak considering our interior lineman actually held their own I'm loving Luck n Ebron's connection Doyle is going to have to step it up he won't get forced feed this year our defense is young but hungry especially in the secondary hopefully Wilson plays better when he gets the club off our rushing defense showed a little potential but it needs improvement hopefully it was just 1st game jitters but it needs to be focused on but we didn't play bad at all.

Yup. Should have been a win. But with such a young group of players, this will be the norm for a while, so let’s keep it in perspective. They will get better. I’m  overall very pleased with the performance, frustrated  by the big mistakes, and excited for the future!

15 hours ago, k9copinmd said:

I'm not upset that they lost. I'm upset the way they lost. Up 23-10 midway through the 3rd and blow it. Then have a chance to win at the end and again blow it. Lots of mistakes....should have been a win.

Agreed, I took a quick nap some how and we were up 23-10, woke up and we were down by 4?!?!?

19 hours ago, Narcosys said:

Why didn't they call helmet to helmet on fedjelem? He crowned doyle right in his chin. That's a huge non-call.

We had enough calls at that point in our favor, IMO, that the refs were bound to swallow their whistles as the game went on. I was at the game and Bengals fans felt Luck was being treated like Peyton Manning out there, with 15 yard penalties etc. But then, hey they were Bengals fans. :) 

I also felt, like the NBA, a make up call was bound to happen, or at the very least a non-call.

15 hours ago, k9copinmd said:

I'm not upset that they lost. I'm upset the way they lost. Up 23-10 midway through the 3rd and blow it. Then have a chance to win at the end and again blow it. Lots of mistakes....should have been a win.

Yeah, it seemed like our O could not get into any rhythm for the most part of the second half and this young D is not good enough to limit opponents to 25 points over 60 minutes, it is just not there yet. So the O has to carry its weight a little more now if we have to win games.

Cannot give up free points early on like the pick Andrew threw in the red zone, we should have been up 14-3, instead it was 3-3, too many missed chances. How about a QB sneak with Luck on 3rd and goal on the Cincy 1? Old man Brady does that.

22 hours ago, New Zealands #1 Colts Fan said:

could be worse, you could be a Bills fan

Or the Saints defense! That was horrible! Ryan Kirkpatrick just threw for like a mile and put up like a 50 burger on them......Ryan Fitzpatrick!!!! It was bad how we lost but like you...there are others that are feeling worse right now. Heck even Bear, Steeler, and Brown fans have to feel awful about how they managed to steal defeat (or tie) from the jaws of victory.

Frank Reich talks about an obsession to finish. This is a literal example of when that obsession needs to be displayed. It's disappointing to start this season with the same problem that plagued the team last year -- a bad fourth quarter performance that let's a winnable game slip away. 

Still a lot of good things, but until the team learns how to finish in the 4th quarter, those good things won't add up to wins. 

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

Frank Reich talks about an obsession to finish. This is a literal example of when that obsession needs to be displayed. It's disappointing to start this season with the same problem that plagued the team last year -- a bad fourth quarter performance that let's a winnable game slip away. 

Still a lot of good things, but until the team learns how to finish in the 4th quarter, those good things won't add up to wins. 

I thought the the offense did the job to finish in the 4th.  The Doyle fumble was bad.   But I thought the third quarter on both sides of the ball is when the team faltered.   I think they will all learn,  players and coaches

13 minutes ago, Superman said:

Pagano had 5 years to figure out how to finish out games with his system in place.

Reich has a young roster with brand new offensive and defensive systems along

with new coaches at every position....some that were handpicked by McDaniel's and not

himself.

If this continues to happen by midseason and beyond, then color me concerned.

6 hours ago, dgambill said:

Or the Saints defense! That was horrible! Ryan Kirkpatrick just threw for like a mile and put up like a 50 burger on them......Ryan Fitzpatrick!!!! It was bad how we lost but like you...there are others that are feeling worse right now. Heck even Bear, Steeler, and Brown fans have to feel awful about how they managed to steal defeat (or tie) from the jaws of victory.

I am fairly certain the Browns tying with the Steelers left their fans feeling hopeful and excited about their future season.....