Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard: What if hypothetical

Crunked

Greeting Planet Colt......this thought hit me reading the banter back and forth between two members in another thread....There are basically 3 camps on Chris Ballard on this forum. There are the "in Ballard we trust-ers" , The "fire Ballard now-ers" and the camp I am in, "the let it play out-ers" .

So the banter got me thinking, "What if" What if we are accidently good? I mean accidently real good?

So for the play out-ers......lets look at the group that says, "you know Ballard is basing his approach on some proven tactics by former, past and current successful GM's but everyone has their own tweak on that team building approach and Ballard is no exception. So here comes the Hypothetical....

What if by some act of genius, good fortune or blind Luck (no pun intended) we are really really good this year and fall just short of the brass ring? You think back and you say if we just would have had that big splash free agent we would have won it all.........do you lose your mind? or

Do you move from the "play out-ers" to the "fire Ballard now-ers" or do you say shucky darn we'll get em next year, and put on a " in Ballard we trust-ers" hat going forward.....?

Basically when do you get off the "let it play out-ers" schneid?

Disclaimer: This post is intended for fun and amusement, with a pinch of thought process required to participate. You do not have to be a "play out-er" to participate. Results may vary. Some may experience a rash or trouble sleeping after participation, these symptoms should fade in time....use only as directed.

• Like 1

I am so far in the Ballard we trust ers.

I honestly don’t believe the Colts will havea Great season this year but we are COMPLETELY rebuilding and some people don’t understand that. Ballard has taken this roster and made it his own. I understand why he isn’t wasting money on win now players, there isn’t a point in spending that money if it can be rolled over.

Now for the “Play our-ers”, If the Colts somehow are super close to a ring this year I believe most would jump to the In Ballard we Truster Bandwagon. Ballard has already stated in ways that if the Colts are close and in win now mode then he will be spending money on those Top Tier Win Now Free Agents. I think that would put most people over the top and trust him. 

Obviously if the Colts have a bad year this year (Everyone has different expectations) but less than 6-8 wins, I would say you would see many people fall down a tier they are in and start to become skeptical.

Just my opinion. 

Give it Time!

In Ballard We Trust!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For me , honestly its more complicated than the scenario I offered up, as I am sure is probably true for most. I just want to see positive movement each season. My expectations this year is 6-10 wins, the higher up that range it goes the happier I will, obviously be.....and then build from there with each passing season, but the reality is as I get older I have less patience, so I won't complain if we get from zero to hero in a hurry lol

Only way I’m leaving the “In Ballard We Trust” group is if he takes a K or P in the first round haha 

The team he’s built and philosophy being used to build said team I’m in complete agreement with. Of course there’s players I wish we would’ve drafted such as Josh Jackson, Maurice Hurst, and Malik Jefferson..... but every fan has a wishlist on draft night that may or may not be granted

Overall I’m very happy with the current state and future direction this team/organization is in 

:scoregood:

• Like 6

For me, I think I'm in the "Let the man work" camp.  He's got a big job to do.  This team was mismanaged into the ground.  He had very, very little existing team to work with.  There are some things that I disagree with.  Like his preoccupation with small school players.  His big philosophy, I totally agree with.  Build the team through depth and competition.  And all I can say is, let's see how it works out.  Let the man work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crunked said:

Greeting Planet Colt......this thought hit me reading the banter back and forth between two members in another thread....There are basically 3 camps on Chris Ballard on this forum. There are the "in Ballard we trust-ers" , The "fire Ballard now-ers" and the camp I am in, "the let it play out-ers" .

So the banter got me thinking, "What if" What if we are accidently good? I mean accidently real good?

So for the play out-ers......lets look at the group that says, "you know Ballard is basing his approach on some proven tactics by former, past and current successful GM's but everyone has their own tweak on that team building approach and Ballard is no exception. So here comes the Hypothetical....

What if by some act of genius, good fortune or blind Luck (no pun intended) we are really really good this year and fall just short of the brass ring? You think back and you say if we just would have had that big splash free agent we would have won it all.........do you lose your mind? or

Do you move from the "play out-ers" to the "fire Ballard now-ers" or do you say shucky darn we'll get em next year, and put on a " in Ballard we trust-ers" hat going forward.....?

Disclaimer: This post is intended for fun and amusement, with a pinch of thought process required to participate. You do not have to be a "play out-er" to participate. Results may vary. Some may experience a rash or trouble sleeping after participation, these symptoms should fade in time....use only as directed.

If we have a big year, but fall just short of a ring (AFC Championship Loss, SB Loss), I will be very excited. At this time, I would say, sign a few FA's next year to put us over the top, trade both of our 2nd round picks to move back into the 1st and grab two elite 1st round players that can contribute immediately, go for a championship with a healthy Luck afterward. I already love our draft this year. Falling just short of a SB title would vindicate that.

I don't think any play out-ers would be disappointed in falling just short of the Super Bowl. Especially considering it's probably the more level headed group or way of thinking, to let Ballard's plan play out. Then again I'd hope no fans would really be angry in falling just short of the Super Bowl, at least to the point of calling for Ballard's head. Sure there'd be heartbreak, like there was losing to the Saints, but in the grand scheme of things it'd be very impressive if we did that well.

I guess I am in the let it play out mode.

The things I read about Ballard are the same things I remember reading about Grigson. I am a little less enthusiastic than in the past because getting your hopes up too much makes for a bigger let down.

The NFL has changed so much since I became a fan and I just don't have the passion for the game as much as I used to. The huge money has made the game of football into something else.

• Like 1

I’m a Ballard truster.  With my favorite baseball team, the St. Louis Cardinals, im a Let it play outer because I didn’t have full confidence Metheny was going to be the next great manager and the FO just agreed with me.  With Ballard, I trust him more and more with every decision he makes. Confident without being cocky. A good deal maker (jets deals),. Gets guys on good contracts. Has a plan B when things go wrong.  Build inside out approach which most gurus admit is smart.  Wants to build strong team around Luck to takes pressure off.  Has a plan and vision he has seen work in his NFL experience.    Just one thing after another garners my trust.  I can accept letting it play out, but I can’t accept the Dump Ballard now movement.  Personally, I think those people are trolls. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I suppose Im on the fence between trusters and play it outers. We should all hold trust and hope in the new regime, that they can get us back to the top. Where im in the play it outers club is with all of the new bright shining faces we have either drafted or fa, and the amount of them that become key contributors in success. More misses than hits will shake all of our confidence. And vice versa. I might be one of the few who thought we weren't as stinkin bad as our record showed last year, with what many say was a terrible team(coaches and players). We were so close so many games, leads me to believe that we improve a couple of positions, better health, and we are in thick of it. So I trust the process and leaders of the organization, and let it play out on the field. Bring on training camp.

3 hours ago, Crunked said:

When? Oh, if after the 2019 season his draft picks as a group look incompetent. 
Winning 7 games in 2018 would be a terrific accomplishment with all things considered.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

When? Oh, if after the 2019 season his draft picks as a group look incompetent. 
Winning 7 games in 2018 would be a terrific accomplishment with all things considered.

Yeah if we go 8-8 this year but do it again in 2019 then there is a problem. In 2019 we should definitely be a Playoff team if Ballard is making the right moves.

• Like 1

I see simularities to how Bill Polian ran the team.  He won’t spend big on free agents.  I like his drafting so far, based on only this years draft he has made a considerable effort to improve the O-line.  Polian was good at finding middle round gems at O-line the Howard Mudd could coach up.  The question becomes if we become a top tier team can he maintain the quality with picks at the back end of the draft.  

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I guess I am in the let it play out mode.

The things I read about Ballard are the same things I remember reading about Grigson. I am a little less enthusiastic than in the past because getting your hopes up too much makes for a bigger let down.

The NFL has changed so much since I became a fan and I just don't have the passion for the game as much as I used to. The huge money has made the game of football into something else.

At least it isn’t like the NBA or MLB.

If your a small market team you hardly have a chance in those sports. The lenient salary cap rules have ruined the game and competition in both.

NFL has the best salary cap rules and level of competition. Just gets involved in too many political subjects.

3 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

I wish we would’ve drafted such as Josh Jackson, Maurice Hurst, and Malik Jefferson.....

Not drafting Josh Jackson has really been on my mind this week. Pairing his ball-hawking in the secondary with Hooker could have been so nice. I really wish the Colts would have taken Arden Key as well but I know Ballard doesn't take the red flag types until a certain round. I have faith in Ballard but there are a couple of picks in this past draft that I wish different selections were made.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

Not drafting Josh Jackson has really been on my mind this week. Pairing his ball-hawking in the secondary with Hooker could have been so nice. I really wish the Colts would have taken Arden Key as well but I know Ballard doesn't take the red flag types until a certain round. I have faith in Ballard but there are a couple of picks in this past draft that I wish different selections were made.

Josh Jackson would've been a nice pick I agree. I love the Edge Avatar by the way! 

• Like 1

I’m surprised there’s a ‘fire Ballard now’ crowd.  I would ignore them anyway, they’re obviously ridiculous.  

We we should all be in the ‘we’ll see but so far, pretty darn good’ crowd.  Only time will tell.  

TBH, I’m more concerned about Reich.  

I think we are going to see a completely different team this season than we are accustomed to. That doesn't mean it will translate to a winning season, but it will be drastically different. Young, fast, and better in the trenches. There will undoubtedly be a lot of upset folks with so many young players making mistakes on the field. I look for boom or bust throughout the season on both sides of the ball, meaning breaking a big touchdown or failing miserably on offense and making a big play or breaking down and allowing a big play/touchdown on defense. This is a growing pain season with a franchise qb getting back to where he should be. It will take the entire season to see a sound and competitive team, in my opinion.

I think this team could shock some people, and will put those big media folks that are saying we won't win more than last season to shame. I look for a 7 to 9 win season, and think we could do better, depending on Andrew's play and more importantly, how he works with Reich/Sirriani. It could be a very positive year going forward. 

With all that being said, I think this season will show what Ballard's vision and his scouting ability is made of... and I look forward to that. I look for a season- long growth as a team, with so much youth and potential. I sincerely hope those Ballard critics on this forum and fanbase see those positive things, even if it isn't a successful year in the W/L column. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

I too was on the Josh Jackson train, and a little disappointed we didn't go after him. I have thought all along that not taking a defensive back in the draft was Ballard's way of putting his faith in what we have. They have a season to build off last year and  prove they are our guys going forward, or Ballard will be addressing it in FA / possibly round 1 of 2019 draft... I look forward to watching that unit specifically this year in a new system that should allow them to make plays and play at a high level. 

9 hours ago, LockeDown said:

I’m a Ballard truster.  With my favorite baseball team, the St. Louis Cardinals, im a Let it play outer because I didn’t have full confidence Metheny was going to be the next great manager and the FO just agreed with me.  With Ballard, I trust him more and more with every decision he makes. Confident without being cocky. A good deal maker (jets deals),. Gets guys on good contracts. Has a plan B when things go wrong.  Build inside out approach which most gurus admit is smart.  Wants to build strong team around Luck to takes pressure off.  Has a plan and vision he has seen work in his NFL experience.    Just one thing after another garners my trust.  I can accept letting it play out, but I can’t accept the Dump Ballard now movement.  Personally, I think those people are trolls. 

Well said my friend. We all know that this blog will generate some ridiculous comments, which are intended to gin up the members. I ignore them, and look for comments like yours' that are thoughtful and sensible. I may not always agree, but this is why I haunt this place. 

Ballard looks to me to be exactly what this organization has badly needed:  A general who has a battle plan that will be successful in time but requires the necessary troops to pull it all together. He is building the army; the team is already better prepared to win for the long term. And I believe they will win long term. Fans just have to be patient; this is a process that will clearly take time. IMO, an 8-8 year is a positive move forward. I am optimistic again for this team.... and its been awhile since I could say that. 

• Thanks 1

Fire Ballard group?

i havent seen that yet.

ive only noticed "all in" , "wait and see", or somewhere between.

even if someone doesnt like the picks, its hard not to notice the positive  changes from top to bottom.

however i do remember Grigs getting lots of love..... until he didnt any longer. 

Im personally in the wait and see group.  My reasons for optimism are the things being said are in line with how I think a team should be ran (but as we all know talk only goes so far) and I think we got a good coaching staff to facilitate a vision. Which is also something I love is that this team seems to have a vision or an identity if you will. Something we sorely lacked with the previous regime.

My reasons for caution though are what worry me.  While I liked parts of the draft I feel like Ballard did not take what the draft gave him. And I'll be in even more caution if we go and sign multiple defensive ends next year (it's going to be a great year for the entire dline) when we spent 2 high picks on them this year. To me it seems like he got to cute for his britches after making the obvious pick and that reminds me of Grigson. Is that an overreaction? Time will tell.  But it's a big reason for concern since this is supposedly the main entrance of talent is via this man's draft strategy.  Also I don't want a Polian approach to free agency and I get the feeling that is what we are getting.  That's underwhelming especially in an age where the salary cap is ever increasing and the options to sign decent talent for reasonable money are becoming more and more viable. Take the Breeland free agent as an example. 

Either way despite my worries I'd say I have more optimism than pessimism and a far playoff run would probably have me sold.  But less than. 8 wins and I'm going to be questioning pretty hard.  Luck is good enough for us to reach the 50/50 mark. 

I wasn't aware of the "FireBallardNow" group. Not really sure what the basis for that would be.

I like Ballard as the GM...but I am still in the wait and see camp. I want to see if players develop this season, if there is improved play and playcalling...and I want to see what he does next offseason.  At that point, he will have had three full offseasons to build the team. IF Luck is healthy this season and going forward, then there is really no reason for not being able to build a contending team in that timeframe. If next season, the Colts are an 8-8 team or worse team with a healthy Luck...then I become very skeptical. But I don't think it ever comes to that.

I'll admit I really just skimmed through this thread.   So I apologize if I missed something. 

I haven't really ran into this "fire Ballard" group.    Are there really enough of them to warrant their own "group"?  

I'm in the "trust Ballard" group.   He's already done many good things.   Addressing the O-line, signing young strong and fast players to good contracts and hiring what looks to be a good coaching staff.

I'm totally an, "In Ballard We Trust-er."

There hasn't been a single thing that he's said that I've disagreed with. As a matter of fact, there were some decisions that he made that I was unsure of, but after he explained his rationale behind those decisions, my opinion changed and I actually agreed with him! I share in his football vision 100%.

Here's my theory on this season: I think it's VERY possible that we win 11 or more games.

When Andrew's been healthy, he's never won less than 11 games, and those 3 seasons were with bottom of the league offensive lines, boring-predictable playcalling, and mediocre to downright pitiful defensive play. 

Better playcalling? Check.

Better defense? Check.

Better offensive line? Oh man, mega-check.

Yes, the rest of the AFC south has improved, but so have we. And we have the one thing that none of those other teams have; Andrew Luck.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2018 at 8:43 AM, Crunked said:

I don't know that there are many "fire ballard now-ers"  I think the "In Ballard we Trust-ers" often turn anything that isn't pro-Ballard into a "Fire ballard now-ers"

Anyways if we fall just short I'm not going to be unhappy with what would have been.  I didn't like Ballard's approach to free agency but that's over and I'm past that.  If we fall just short, then it means he's drafted really well and I'll be happy about that.  

I think you can judge GM's on their record.  And if the record is getting better and looks really good then it's silly of you to sit and nit-pick.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Legend of Luck said:

I'm totally an, "In Ballard We Trust-er."

There hasn't been a single thing that he's said that I've disagreed with. As a matter of fact, there were some decisions that he made that I was unsure of, but after he explained his rationale behind those decisions, my opinion changed and I actually agreed with him! I share in his football vision 100%.

Here's my theory on this season: I think it's VERY possible that we win 11 or more games.

When Andrew's been healthy, he's never won less than 11 games, and those 3 seasons were with bottom of the league offensive lines, boring-predictable playcalling, and mediocre to downright pitiful defensive play. 

Better playcalling? Check.

Better defense? Check.

Better offensive line? Oh man, mega-check.

Yes, the rest of the AFC south has improved, but so have we. And we have the one thing that none of those other teams have; Andrew Luck.

We don't know what we are going to get in Luck yet.   I'm also not sure the defense is better. 

On 7/22/2018 at 5:43 AM, Crunked said:

What if by some act of genius, good fortune or blind Luck (no pun intended) we are really really good this year and fall just short of the brass ring? You think back and you say if we just would have had that big splash free agent we would have won it all.........do you lose your mind?

I wouldn't think like that because there is no guarantee that any free agent will be enough to push you over the top.  And by making room on the roster for that one FA you might have cut/waived some other player that stepped forward and made a huge impact.

So there is just no way to know.

16 minutes ago, Myles said:

We don't know what we are going to get in Luck yet.   I'm also not sure the defense is better. 

Lol!  I’m not sure who the defense even is at this point.  

I feel like Luck will be fine though.  

• Like 1

The biggest difference I’ve noticed with Ballard vs Grigson is humility and the sense that he sees himself as part of the solution. 

Even though Grigson did well, he seemed to be dripping with arrogance. At the time, I don’t know if was anything he said per se, just an observation. 

Having said that, I’m sure there have been plenty of successful GMs that were pretty arrogant. 

There have been some players let go ( Mingo, Melvin) that were a bit of a head scratcher but despite all we’ve been through as Colts’ fans, I’m glad we’ve got Ballard/ Reich. 

On 7/22/2018 at 9:42 AM, TKnight24 said:

Only way I’m leaving the “In Ballard We Trust” group is if he takes a K or P in the first round haha 

The team he’s built and philosophy being used to build said team I’m in complete agreement with. Of course there’s players I wish we would’ve drafted such as Josh Jackson, Maurice Hurst, and Malik Jefferson..... but every fan has a wishlist on draft night that may or may not be granted

Overall I’m very happy with the current state and future direction this team/organization is in 

:scoregood:

I couldn't agree more and I'm also very happy with the direction of this team. I believe Ballard does know what he's doing. I also believe this team this year is going to be better than people think. 

• Like 1