Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vontae Davis released

Case

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously Vontae quit on the team for being shopped around or demoted. Ballard making an example of probably our best defender is outstanding.  Hopefully we can continue to right the ship.  We just need to start hitting on our 1-3 draft picks.  They either don’t preform or often injured.  

Just now, Aluckiswolverine said:

Ballard is cleaning house, sounds like Vontae was becoming a problem in the locker room to me. Ballard isn’t having it and I love his cut throat response. He is trying to build a winning culture. :rock:

I agree and I also think by going on these radio shows locally he is putting an end to the Andrew speculation not being happy here.

4 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

how much estimated cap space do the Colts have so far going into next year?

18 million prior to the Vontate release for 2017, for 2018, we're sitting about 70 million under, not counting roll over.

4 minutes ago, Everyone said:

From what I've seen, he needs to be claimed by another team, otherwise the Colts still have to pay him.

Hmmm i'll have to check that.  I'm not sure the OTC calculator takes that into account.  

3 minutes ago, Aluckiswolverine said:

Ballard is cleaning house, sounds like Vontae was becoming a problem in the locker room to me. Ballard isn’t having it and I love his cut throat response. He is trying to build a winning culture. :rock:

Sort of how I feel in the big picture.  You can feel the clamping down and tightening up as far as expectations and the moves that must be made to get there.   Definitely can feel the change in the air.

8 minutes ago, csmopar said:

18 million prior to the Vontate release for 2017, for 2018, we're sitting about 70 million under, not counting roll over.

Hmmm i'll have to check that.  I'm not sure the OTC calculator takes that into account.  

hmmmmm around $70 mil or so in cap space....mostly likely top 5-10 draft pick, Luck most likely coming back (based on what's being said)...most likely coaching overhaul....Ballard another year to put his stamp on the team....I'm excited for what the future holds

6 minutes ago, ColtJ82 said:

Wasn't there some drama leading up to Miami trading him?

yes.  He wasnt happy down there.  Coincidentally, Joe Phibin, our OL coach was Vontae's coach in Miami.  Joe comes here and Vontae started playing not so well.  Then the injuries.  

1 hour ago, Old Colt said:

This seems to be the new SOP for this team..... cover up, lie, mis-direct.... mislead...

yeah, it's called keeping problems in house...not airing your dirty laundry.  virtually every team in the league does the same thing to the furthest extent they can without violating rules (and actually violating in some cases).

11 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

hmmmmm around $70 mil or so in cap space....mostly likely top 5-10 draft pick, Luck most likely coming back (based on what's being said)...most likely coaching overhaul....Ballard another year to put his stamp on the team....I'm excited for what the future holds

yep.  I figure with the roll over being around 18 million, we'd be around 88 million, minus probably 15 -20 million in resignings(although outside of Melvin, Desir, Mingo,Swoope, and AV,, im not sure who else we'd even entertain re-signing so we may not even need that much.)  I think we'll be big players next year.

26 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

He's going ir, and they won't resign him so cutting him makes sense.

Sad to see him gone. That 2014 season was so hype. He was the best in the league that year.

he couldn't go on IR without actually being injured and if he were currently injured then I don't think they could have outright cut him.  They'd have had to put him on IR and then negotiate an injury settlement.  

9 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

Vontae looks bad. Making excuses for sucking this year. Be a man Davis

They're not excuses if they're true though. I'm not sure why you'd be knocking the guy. He gave Indy his best, his time's up, say 'thanks' and keep it moving. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He was Great 1st 3 years here but he looks done now I agree. I agree with this move.

He's 29, 30 next season. He's not that old. I agree with the move mainly because he is unhealthy quite often but if he can stay healthy for someone, I think that team will have a real player. 

All the reports from training camp this year said he was far and away the best player, kinda like TY last year. 

It's a win-win, the Colts are lucky there're able replacements, the team gets to make a point while not experiencing a drop-off in play. The player gets to move on. Rare win for all sides.

*here in KC, the Chiefs fans were begging their team to sign him. He'd have been instantly the piece to pair with Marcus Peters.

1 hour ago, egg said:

I wholeheartedly disagree. Davis wasn't playing well because of a previous injury that had healed well enough to be cleared to play by team doctors. He didn't like being demoted. But the Colts could not put him on the field because he was a liability.

Why can't it simply be that some injuries are difficult to assess by both doctors and players, instead of it always being that the team mishandled it, or the team is lying about it?

The whole coaches decision vs it’s an injury back and forth was silly. Well run organization don’t have these issues. They * the situation, agree on a course of action, and agree on the media relations stand point of it. Whether you guys feel like this was just a sucky iinjury that was hard to * or not, the Colts once again look like a team that is not in order and confused. 

All the cap room in the world isn’t going to help attract players, when the organization looks a mess

He made excuses for not playing well, aired dirty laundry, made the Colts look bad by claiming they hid his injury. Even if they did, you dont publicly state that as a player for that team WHILE still ON that team. 

Hate seeing him go. 

But, LOVE that its pretty clear that Ballard wont take this kinda **** being made public.

14 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

The whole coaches decision vs it’s an injury back and forth was silly. Well run organization don’t have these issues. They * the situation, agree on a course of action, and agree on the media relations stand point of it. Whether you guys feel like this was just a sucky iinjury that was hard to * or not, the Colts once again look like a team that is not in order and confused. 

All the cap room in the world isn’t going to help attract players, when the organization looks a mess

Well run organizations don't care about media speculation and tweeted rumors.

13 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Nonsense.    

Ok, well I guess we all need to just understand this is a tank season. Once Watson went down I felt revitalized that we could win the division. Not much separation from the top of the division, team playing well together.

But cutting VD, putting Anderson on IR. That's rough.

We absolutely can not trade/cut any of our guys this off season. Luck is a top QB in this league and even fighting through this injury gives us a better chance at a Super Bowl than anyone else (think the Chargers would like to have kept Bress?). TY is his go to and we can't let him walk. Keep the offense growing together, get the line more games together and let Mack learn from Gore.

I trust Ballard with a draft and putting together the defense.

Honestly don't care if we keep Pagano or not. I think he's gotta go at this point just to give the team a fresh face. Would be a dream if the Cardinals crumble, Arians gets the boot and comes back to Indy, should have never let him go.

(Sorry, first post, got a lot to say...)

27 minutes ago, TheMarine said:

He made excuses for not playing well, aired dirty laundry, made the Colts look bad by claiming they hid his injury. Even if they did, you dont publicly state that as a player for that team WHILE still ON that team. 

Hate seeing him go. 

But, LOVE that its pretty clear that Ballard wont take this kinda **** being made public.

Just another sign that pagano has lost the locker room. First TY, then Vontae. 2 of the leaders on your team are talking crap. 

59 minutes ago, TheMarine said:

Hate seeing him go. 

At the end, sure. However, why neglect how the coach treated him? Did the coach not know he was hurt all along? Why not front up and speak to him about it? It goes both ways, you can't knock Vontae here without acknowledging that the outburst was predicated by something. 

Ballard isn't doing anything but the obvious here. There're many reasons to like the new GM, this is basically the easiest call he's had to make.

It was interesting to hear Ballard on JMV yesterday, when he acknowledged that he had indeed heard the comments by Vontae Davis.  DEFINITELY a tone of disappointment in Ballard's voice.  Thus, no surprise to learn today that Vontae Davis has been released.

Also, I think this certainly sends quite the message to the players that Ballard is not going to mess around in putting up with internal descent.