Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vontae Davis released

Case

4 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

For one, don’t even bring up taking shots at a poster. I didn’t do such a thing. And two, I never said you bother me either. I don’t know how you come to those conclusions. But that’s your choice...

Are you seriously trying to say that writing "you again" wasn't a negative comment?     Is there a positive spin to that crack?

I couldnt help but notice that you didn't even try to explain the comment.   You only took the opportunity to get in my face again.

I don't know who you think you're fooling, but it's not me...     

I'll extend the same offer again...   if my posts bother -- and you wouldn't be alone -- then put me on ignore...    that way we will get along just fine...

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Oh I'm not saying you singled me out. Don't feel like you did. I'm simply stating that I do find Ballard credible here. The reason being, as someone trained to pick up on verbal clues, I noticed something both times when Ballard was asked that question. His bass lowered each time. This indicates that not only is he angry about the question/topic, but that he is being deeply sincere.  If Ballard was just stating the company line and  or lying, his dictation would have remained flat or go to a slightly higher pitch. I wish I could have him on camera to read his facial and other body language as that increases the accuracy, but I do feel Ballard is telling the truth. I think Vontae caught him off guard with the tweets. 

But thats all water done passed under under the bridge. Onto the next crisis 

What do you do?

53 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't disagree with anything you wrote...

I've only been attempting to explain to some posters that Vonte WAS indeed injured, and things spiraled from there...

I hear you and he probably is injured . Just was saying why waste the energy .

13 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think the tweets and the fact that Ballard has already decided to move on from VD plays into his statements.  I find his statements less than credible because this entire forum knows VD was struggling with a groin even though he was playing.  For Ballard to say that he thought VD was healthy because that's what VD told him is pretty much a lie.  

VD told him he was healthy for probably contract reasons.  Ballard just used VDs statements as an excuse to say his play has deteriorated not due to injury.  I'm sure Ballard has always strongly suspected VD isn't 100% even though VD was telling him he was.

Ballard thought he was healthy because the Colts medical staff cleared him to play.  I read nothing stating that VD was struggling with a groin issue.  He was getting a day off each week like some other veterans.  Nothing there.  His play has declined and he was benched.  It's too bad but that's all there is to it.  If he was concealing an injury and trying to play through it in order to hold on to his job that's a shame and it's on him.  It wouldn't be the first time a player did that. I wish him well. 

2 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

This isn't the Colt's fault. Not for anything related to Vontae Davis. I'm reading an awful lot of comments from Colt's fans saying how screwed up the Colts front office is for releasing Vontae Davis. He clearly was not playing like himself so he was demoted which he did not like. No starter would. Then pulled the injury card to save face. But apparently with Ballard, he doesn't give a rats %&$ about stuff like that. I really like Vontae, but he didn't think this one through all the way. Good luck to him.

If Dakich said one thing right today it would be, and I am paraphrasing, in time of crisis.. you need your veterans to lead.  They need to help solve the problem not be part of one.  At what point during this year has Vonte shown any sort of leadership?  You will be hard pressed to find any.

Vote should know this.  He also knows, injury or not, that his level of play hasn't been to his ability or expectations.  Also add that he started waves and ripples and pointed fingers.

Chris Ballard is building a winning culture the way he knows how and the way he thinks it should be.  He is snuffing out fires immediately and letting ALL players (especially young ones) know and hopefully understand.... that if they want to be a Colt.... and that if they want to win... they have to do it as a team..... there are zero individuals on a team.

Vonte must not get that and he suddenly finds himself off the team.

3 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I haven't been following the team as closely this year as I usually do, but from what I understand, Davis needs season-ending surgery.  Plus, he's in the final year of his contract and shouldn't be re-signed.  He won't be playing for the Colts anymore, so why bother keeping him around?  Let him go so he can get his surgery and be in talks with other teams, then give your other guys reps in practice to develop.

For one, it affects compensatory picks. Releasing him now does not factor in when those are calculated. 

Which, again, is a big deal because he is going to play into that more than anyone. 

This isn't just another day at the office. You just don't cut a pro-bowler mid-season because he's injured and he's not in your plans moving forward. 

Then you look today at Pagano's words. No one is bigger than the team. 

What does that even mean?

If he's injured and headed for IR how is he bigger than the team? If he's headed for IR he's not going to have any effect on the team. He's going to be a player on IR that won't be resigned next season. 

Which in itself is a strange decision. With his recent injury history, why are we not trying to get a good deal with him?

And then there's the whole curt "we're not going to talk about it anymore" that only springs up when there's more there than meets the eye but they don't want it in the light. 

Theres definitely something off here. 

9 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Ballard thought he was healthy because the Colts medical staff cleared him to play.  I read nothing stating that VD was struggling with a groin issue.  He was getting a day off each week like some other veterans.  Nothing there.  His play has declined and he was benched.  It's too bad but that's all there is to it.  If he was concealing an injury and trying to play through it in order to hold on to his job that's a shame and it's on him.  It wouldn't be the first time a player did that. I wish him well. 

He was concealing injury.  He's having surgery.  Players always "play through injury", so the doctors clearing to play doesn't mean he's not injured.   I think Ballard has enough common sense to suspect his player's decline after coming back from injury is is due to the injury lingering.   He never represented the notion that VD wasn't actually injured, he simply said that he relied on what VD told him.  

7 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

For one, it affects compensatory picks. Releasing him now does not factor in when those are calculated. 

Which, again, is a big deal because he is going to play into that more than anyone. 

This isn't just another day at the office. You just don't cut a pro-bowler mid-season because he's injured and he's not in your plans moving forward. 

If he's injured and headed for IR how is he bigger than the team? If he's headed for IR he's not going to have any effect on the team. He's going to be a player on IR that won't be resigned next season. 

Which in itself is a strange decision. With his recent injury history, why are we not trying to get a good deal with him?

And then there's the whole curt "we're not going to talk about it anymore" that only springs up when there's more there than meets the eye but they don't want it in the light. 

I think maybe Ballard could care less about the compensatory pick factor because there just is no way we will be awarded a comp pick after the 2018 FA period dust settles. No need to even go into detail as our free agents of note are V Davis , Montcrief and Mewhort . None of these guys will be sought after. Probably all 3 are given 1 year "wait and see" deals. No way with the 50 mill + to spend that our acquisitions don't far exceed our losses.

18 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

JW....

I'll try to answer all your questions....

Vonte has played so poorly,  that I don't think his situation will impact the Colts getting any compensatory picks.     We're not going to get any.

We didn't just cut a pro bowler mid-season.     We cut a FORMER pro bowler mid-season.     A big difference.

Pagano's words means the longer we talk about it, the more it's a distraction to the team and he's not going to let it become a distraction.     The reason we cut Vonte is that we didn't want him in the locker room.    Right or wrong, we didn't want his attitude to impact other players.     We didn't want him bad mouthing the Colts,  or Pagano or Ballard or the training staff or anyone else.    Better to make a clean break of it for all sides.    That's the potential impact Vonte could have had on the team, and the front office/coaches didn't want to risk it.

The "we're not going to talk about it anymore" is right out of the Bill Belichick playbook.    It's trying to limit distractions,  outside voices and any other possible white noise.    Lets the players on football and football ONLY.

No reporter will likely be asking about Vonte to coaches or anyoe else.     The team has moved on.

Finally....   yes,  there is something going on here.    We will likely never know all the pieces of what has happened.

Maybe someday Pagano or Vonte write a book and they talk about it....    but that's years away from happening if at all...

They'd like this chapter to end right now....

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Are you seriously trying to say that writing "you again" wasn't a negative comment?     Is there a positive spin to that crack?

I couldnt help but notice that you didn't even try to explain the comment.   You only took the opportunity to get in my face again.

I don't know who you think you're fooling, but it's not me...     

I'll extend the same offer again...   if my posts bother -- and you wouldn't be alone -- then put me on ignore...    that way we will get along just fine...

I’ll explain to you one last time. Your posts don’t bother me. You’re wrong on this situation but that doesn’t mean your posts bother me. Take it easy man

44 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Simply to echo what others have said, Vontae likely wouldn't have been a part of any comp picks given to the Colts.  Furthermore, while I'm sure there may have been something more going on, cutting him now isn't a bad move.  There are several reasons why it makes/made sense to cut him now.  So whether there was other stuff going on behind the scenes, cutting him now made sense for the Colts

1 hour ago, 21isSuperman said:

Simply to echo what others have said, Vontae likely wouldn't have been a part of any comp picks given to the Colts.  Furthermore, while I'm sure there may have been something more going on, cutting him now isn't a bad move.  There are several reasons why it makes/made sense to cut him now.  So whether there was other stuff going on behind the scenes, cutting him now made sense for the Colts

Comp picks are awarded to teams based upon the net of free agents lost and free agents signed.  If Vonte would have signed elsewhere, the Colts would only get a pick if we did not sign a similar FA to the team, meaning a net loss.

The release, and the amount of cap space we'll have, might suggest that Ballard plans on being so active in free agency that VD signing with another team would not have lead towards a net FA loss position. 

We might read this release as an indication the Colts will be adding quite a few free agents this spring, at least some high priced ones.

9 hours ago, dw49 said:

I'm thinking (pretty positive) that this move has no effect what so ever on our 2018 cap. His whole contract was coming off the books in 2017.The remaining 1.25 to be amortized (signing bonus) is already into the 2017 cap. Doesn't matter if he's on the team or not. Same with his base. So IMO  effect on the cap room we will have entering the 2018 season.

I agree, left out the word "no"in my last sentence.  No worries.

'So IMO no effect on the cap room we will have entering the 2018 season.'    Better?

44 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I agree, left out the word "no"in my last sentence.  No worries.

'So IMO no effect on the cap room we will have entering the 2018 season.'    Better?

Yeah.. I understood your post and was just agreeing with you. I threw in the explanation as to why it had no effect on cap.

9 hours ago, DougDew said:

Comp picks are awarded to teams based upon the net of free agents lost and free agents signed.  If Vonte would have signed elsewhere, the Colts would only get a pick if we did not sign a similar FA to the team, meaning a net loss.

The release, and the amount of cap space we'll have, might suggest that Ballard plans on being so active in free agency that VD signing with another team would not have lead towards a net FA loss position. 

We might read this release as an indication the Colts will be adding quite a few free agents this spring, at least some high priced ones.

Comp picks are also awarded based on how the players perform.  With Vontae's decreasing performance and injury history, it's not likely we'd gain any comp picks from him

16 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I have a feeling a factor the messy divorce is The in house replacements 

Probably. He wasn't a factor on the field and hasn't been for quite some time. He isn't even our best corner anymore. Sure injuries are a big reason for it...but he wasn't part of our rebuild and thus there was no reason to baby him. Clean cut divorce...he ain't mad, I ain't mad...I don't know why anyone should be bothered.

2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I'm just hoping Quincy Wilson isn't the caboose on that train out of town...

Well one thing is for sure...he just learned that the NFL means BUSINESS. You better work your butt off and earn your keep. He just watched a former pro bowl corner get cut.....and a 1st rd draft pick from a couple years ago get traded...his sorry second rd butt doesn't entitle him to anything. If he wants to play or earn that big paycheck some day he better get to work and start doing what the coaches are asking. This might be the best thing that happened to this young club house.