Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

D'Quell Jackson interviewed on GMFB today

richard pallo

DQ was a guest on GMFB today.  He has a few interesting comments.  He doesn't think TY should apologize the the OL. Thinks TY, being one of the leaders on the team, has the right to make his comments and it could actually motivate the OL.  He thinks the OL is a problem and Brissett would improve faster with a better line.  He thinks Luck should go to Irsay and the FO and demand they fix the line.  He thinks he needs to assert himself more.  He doesn't think Luck will be back this year.  He doesn't think they use Gore enough. He is one of our better players.  He also said Pagano is beloved by the players.  He is an excellent coach and very respected for his knowledge of defenses in particular. He thinks the problem with the coaching is not Pagano but he thinks his assistant coaches have let him down.  Interesting interview. 

10 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

DQ was a guest on GMFB today.  He has a few interesting comments.  He doesn't think TY should apologize the the OL. Thinks TY, being one of the leaders on the team, has the right to make his comments and it could actually motivate the OL.  He thinks the OL is a problem and Brissett would improve faster with a better line.  He thinks Luck should go to Irsay and the FO and demand they fix the line.  He thinks he needs to assert himself more.  He doesn't think Luck will be back this year.  He doesn't think they use Gore enough. He is one of our better players.  He also said Pagano is beloved by the players.  He is an excellent coach and very respected for his knowledge of defenses in particular. He thinks the problem with the coaching is not Pagano but he thinks his assistant coaches have let him down.  Interesting interview. 

link?

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

To the bolded, Pagano fired Pep & Manusky in favor or Chud & Monachino, so his assistants "letting him down" is a product of his own creation, and is something he should absolutely be held accountable for.

16 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Pagano hired the assistants.  Their failure is eventually on him.  

Interesting indeed.

hard to to even argue with most of it.  Cool seeing a player's perspective from the outside that still knows the situation pretty well.

For some reason, i feel confident Ballard has been moving OL up his priority list. LBs and OL are the priority. Doable. Fingers crossed. (And toes)

4 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

To the bolded, Pagano fired Pep & Manusky in favor or Chud & Monachino, so his assistants "letting him down" is a product of his own creation, and is something he should absolutely be held accountable for.

D'Q's words mind you.  I think that's why we could see a change again at the coordinator positions before the season is over.  

"He thinks the OL is a problem and Brissett would improve faster with a better line."

There were times in the first half against JAX where JB had four or five seconds to throw the ball and held it.  It could be because no one was open or it could be because he can't process his progressions fast enough.

Either way, a lot of it is on him.  Agreed that he should always have a checkdown option, and from what I've seen he usually does for the first couple seconds.  Even throwing it away is better than a sack.

Not saying the O line is good by any means.  Just that either Brissett has to get the ball out faster or Chud needs to put a lot more checkdowns, dump offs, and screens into the playbook (and hopefully Mack can catch them). 

31 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

To be fair to Pagano, Monachino was a LB coach and the Ravens linebackers were studs. Maybe we just demote him to LB coach and if he fails there cut him loose? Then for Pep, the offense was struggling early on in games (carried over to Chud later) but when he first coached a game against Denver, we dominated 21-0 (around) in the first half. Signs seemed good, but they lost continuity. Time to start the search again. 

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2017/10/26/16552286/colts-film-room-anticipation-discipline-still-impeding-brissetts-ceiling

Here's a good look at Brissett being one of the reasons for all the sacks. Not absolving the OL at all, but there's plenty of times the blocking has been good but he was indecisive. I forget which twitter account I saw it on earlier today but Chud was interviewed about shorter routes etc and he said they were there and open but Brissett just didn't throw it. 

7 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2017/10/26/16552286/colts-film-room-anticipation-discipline-still-impeding-brissetts-ceiling

Here's a good look at Brissett being one of the reasons for all the sacks. Not absolving the OL at all, but there's plenty of times the blocking has been good but he was indecisive. I forget which twitter account I saw it on earlier today but Chud was interviewed about shorter routes etc and he said they were there and open but Brissett just didn't throw it. 

Good post.  I mentioned this earlier but did not attach a link.  Just watching a re-watching the game you see this multiple times.  JB does not have confidence and timing down.  He is slow at going through the progressions and is clearly not clear on the routes.  He pauses and then just tries to run or move, but moves into pressure as well.  He is young and still has a lot to improve on.

17 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Good post.  I mentioned this earlier but did not attach a link.  Just watching a re-watching the game you see this multiple times.  JB does not have confidence and timing down.  He is slow at going through the progressions and is clearly not clear on the routes.  He pauses and then just tries to run or move, but moves into pressure as well.  He is young and still has a lot to improve on.

yes yes he does have a lot to improve on, but he's still leagues better than Tolzien. Given the circumstances, he's still performed reasonably well.

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Yup, a big part of being a good head coach is the ability to hire a strong supporting staff.

3 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

This.  Pagano's problem is hiring his "friends."

That same mistake was made by Brian Kelly at ND.  Stuck with Brian VanGorder too long, went 4-8 last year.  Defense was one of the worst in CFB.  Offense had problems consistently running the ball.

Then, Kelly goes out and gets one of the best DCs in all of college football, Mike Elko, and as a result, this year's defense looks incredible.   Same players from last year's team.  ND couldn't go out and get anyone off the waiver wire.

It's one of the most glaring examples I've ever seen in terms of what a good coach and coordinator can do.  It's not only about Xs and Os, it's about teaching your players concepts and fundamentals so they can understand and succeed on their own during the game.

And now, with the new OC, Chip Long, ND has one of the top rushing offenses (#6) in all of CFB.  One of the top offense's period.

In sum, don't hire your buddies (unless they're also incredible, experienced coaches).  It only creates problems.  And it all ends up reflecting poorly on you if they don't perform.

4 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I get that Pagano still has the respect of the players but having respect doesn't mean you are a good coach so I disagree with DQ on that subject.

Pagano is the Head Coach, he sets the tone, he needs to hold his coaching staff accountable, and down the line.  And he's not doing this, beloved coach or not you're not going to win many games.  You need to be an A hole to get your players motivated and instill some aggressiveness  on this team to get to the next level...

32 minutes ago, gacoop1 said:

Pagano is the Head Coach, he sets the tone, he needs to hold his coaching staff accountable, and down the line.  And he's not doing this, beloved coach or not you're not going to win many games.  You need to be an A hole to get your players motivated and instill some aggressiveness  on this team to get to the next level...

Just how do you know what Pagano is holding accountable? You don't have a clue what is said behind closed doors.

10 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

I get that Pagano still has the respect of the players but having respect doesn't mean you are a good coach so I disagree with DQ on that subject.

Assuming this will be a losing season, this is Pagano's first.

That would say he is a good coach.

Our team plays hard...and that's on the coach

7 hours ago, GusFring said:

I doubt you'll ever find a player that says anything bad about Pagano. I remember Khaled Holmes was defending him after getting cut. Everyone love and respect the guy. Hopefully Ballard sees thru all this a fires him anyway.

Unlikely in a year that Andrew does not play

Hey D'Q agrees with my take on TY (kind of, I think he should say sorry, since he said he would), but I didn't think TY was being totally out of line- namely because he's normally not that guy and the team gave up 10 sacks. That's about as bad as bad can be.

As far as Pagano goes, the thing is there's always been a fly in the ointment, be it sub par talent, bad play calling, injuries, swinging gates ect. Maybe he is playing whack a mole with these problems, but this has been going on for years now. I don't think it's a coincidence anymore that the team always has obvious holes, under his watch.

On 10/26/2017 at 4:00 PM, Smonroe said:

"He thinks the OL is a problem and Brissett would improve faster with a better line."

There were times in the first half against JAX where JB had four or five seconds to throw the ball and held it.  It could be because no one was open or it could be because he can't process his progressions fast enough.

Either way, a lot of it is on him.  Agreed that he should always have a checkdown option, and from what I've seen he usually does for the first couple seconds.  Even throwing it away is better than a sack.

Not saying the O line is good by any means.  Just that either Brissett has to get the ball out faster or Chud needs to put a lot more checkdowns, dump offs, and screens into the playbook (and hopefully Mack can catch them). 

This is the truth right here.  JB has to get the ball out as soon as his back foot hits, trust it and let it rip. WRs were open early.  

That film on Stampede Blue is pretty telling.   JB missed a bunch of wide open receiver on Sunday.   Many of those hits he didn't even have to take.    It must have been the pressure that unsettled him because Jacksonville really doesn't do anything defensively that is much different than Seattle.   It's not like he hasn't seen that scheme before.   We blocked better against Seattle though.  

I think he said he thinks andrew may not come back at all he said that once an injury goes into that 8-9 month range you have to start talking career i hope thats not the case also dont if any one posted this but the video is on youtube I dont know the link but if type in D'qwell its one of the first vids

On 10/26/2017 at 4:00 PM, Smonroe said:

Dump offs and screens have to be EXECUTED. With our hodgepodge line and receivers that don't block well, and Primary TE that is a poor in line blocker.... well lol.   Spot on though.

On 10/26/2017 at 6:36 PM, zibby43 said:

This.  Pagano's problem is hiring his "friends."

That same mistake was made by Brian Kelly at ND.  Stuck with Brian VanGorder too long, went 4-8 last year.  Defense was one of the worst in CFB.  Offense had problems consistently running the ball.

Then, Kelly goes out and gets one of the best DCs in all of college football, Mike Elko, and as a result, this year's defense looks incredible.   Same players from last year's team.  ND couldn't go out and get anyone off the waiver wire.

It's one of the most glaring examples I've ever seen in terms of what a good coach and coordinator can do.  It's not only about Xs and Os, it's about teaching your players concepts and fundamentals so they can understand and succeed on their own during the game.

And now, with the new OC, Chip Long, ND has one of the top rushing offenses (#6) in all of CFB.  One of the top offense's period.

In sum, don't hire your buddies (unless they're also incredible, experienced coaches).  It only creates problems.  And it all ends up reflecting poorly on you if they don't perform.

As an ND fan I do agree with this also helps that Kelly is letting them take over their sides of the ball rather than micromanage like he used to.

Not sure how much Pagano meddles with his assistants.

On 10/27/2017 at 6:58 AM, coltsva said:

Caldwell got fired in a year that Peyton didn't play. 

Slightly different circumstances Irsay reset the franchise that year since Luck was drafted.

We're going under the assumption Luck returns the only thing that will change would be the coach.

Plus Pagano got a much longer stint than Caldwell did and he has coached the team when Luck was out. 

On 10/26/2017 at 2:18 PM, richard pallo said:

Knowledge of defense , Rotfl. Thanks , I needed the laugh.  The Colts haven't been able to stop anybody since he became coach . Hilton puts up big stats against garbage teams and becomes a ghost when he goes up against anybody any good . He should be the last one calling anybody out.