Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does Brissett lose momentum in the second half?

bap1331

1 minute ago, strt182 said:

#firechud enough said 

Not a fan of Chud, but this is a Pagano thing. We have seen this type of conservative approach since he's been here. Seen enough. Time to move on next year.

I've been a Pagano guy, but no more. He's just not what this team needs to be a true contender.

Three weeks with the team?  Brissett has been amazing.  Ballard might have hit a home run with this one.  What do you want from a backup?  If your starter goes down for four games, to keep your team afloat, you need to steal two of the four.  He's good enough to do that.  In fact, with a better roster and balanced team, you could probably win with him as a starter.

40 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

I would have ran the ball too if I were Chud. We have a young inexperienced QB, so the more we can put the ball on the ground, the better imo. It's just unfortunate our defense couldn't do more to keep the score from getting so close.

Wrong blame the defense when you go 3 and out on like two straight drives only taking possibly 2min off the clock each? 

1 hour ago, bap1331 said:

He went all out in the first half, then just winds down in the second....he did the same last week against the cards.

He's still new.    He's still learning his teammates and they are still learning him. To expect things to be normal at this point is simply not realistic.    It will take a lot more time than this.

A lot more.

When they get a 21 point lead they want to eliminate any chance at a mistake. I get that but after you have a couple bad drives I would try to mix it up. I guess I can't blame them much though with a quarterback that has been here two weeks... who knows how many plays he has learned.

2 hours ago, compuls1v3 said:

This goes to someone's acknowledgement of terrible adjustments in the second half and bad play calling.  Why no play action passing if they are stacking the box?  Dungy was very good at second half adjustments in my humble opinion, but Chuck is not good at it.

We were not good trying to pass on 1st down, here's the breakdown-

False start ( -5 )

Sack ( -9 )

20 yds ( TY )

Sack ( 0 )

Incomplete (deep pass, (Roughing the Passer*)

Second half

Incomplete (deep pass)

short pass ( 6 )

2 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

I would have ran the ball too if I were Chud. We have a young inexperienced QB, so the more we can put the ball on the ground, the better imo. It's just unfortunate our defense couldn't do more to keep the score from getting so close.

Exactly.  We cannot let Brissett throw the ball 30 or more times, especially right now; thus early in his knowledge of the playbook and teammates.  Letting him game manage and throw 25 or so times is about right.  We must run more effectively, even when the situation dictates it and the other team expects it.  I do not want Brissett throwing pick(s)(sixes) later in games.

16 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

We were way too conservative in the second half.

By design, this and last game.  We do have to run the ball better, and our defense has to find a way to come up with a play or two late. Instead of letting a teams score and come within a FG of tying, and trying onside kicks and such... get to their QB and make a drive killing sack (preferably a strip sack). Or get a heartbreaking/drive killing pick in/near the end zone. Unfortunately, our D is too young to do that yet, and our QB is to inexperienced to trust throwing the ball down the field late in games.  His limited play(s) get figured out by the defense.  Sometimes you have to beat your man in front of you.  If you can't, then maybe you don't deserve to win.  Winning only by trickery all game is fools gold and will let you down.