Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Robert Mathis says Colts are not mentally strong

RockThatBlue

2 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

If it's true that falls on both the coaches and the GM.  The GM needs to find players that have their own mental toughness but it's also up to the coaches to instill that attitude among the players and reinforce it every day.

The Steelers and Ravens are two organizations that are excellent at that.  They don't always have the most talented teams on the field but you know when you play them you are going to get punched in the mouth and smacked around hard all game long. 

Lol what I dislike is don't wait till after this big game to say "this team lacks mental toughness" that should've been said way earlier in the year if you wanted to air it out..calling out certain players might seem rude but sometimes you need to let them know they're not doing good but you'll work with them to become great 

He's not very specific.  Even praises the team and coaches for having enough talent and ability to play with anyone, but then says we are just not mentally tough.  What does that mean, in what circumstances did he observe this.

Seems more like since he identified himself as a leader, he felt compelled to say something...anything.  That was pretty generic.

1 hour ago, will426 said:

Lol what I dislike is don't wait till after this big game to say "this team lacks mental toughness" that should've been said way earlier in the year if you wanted to air it out..calling out certain players might seem rude but sometimes you need to let them know they're not doing good but you'll work with them to become great 

We have no idea how long ago it may have been said privately.

It's a private matter long before we need to know.

When Irsay brought in the present HC & GM he mentioned that he expects multiple championships and "we'll do it the right way".

I always to "the right way" as meaning, with the right kinda people/players. Nothing dirty. No Patriot shenanigans, etc. Good Example kinda stuff.

Not that we need to be the Seahawks, but maybe that 'aura' is part of our problem(?).

I don't want to be the bully. I want to be the defender against bullies.

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

The cracks are starting to show.  Teams that "love" their coach don't air their dirty laundry in public.  I think Chuck is starting to lose the respect of the lockerroom, hopefully Irsay takes notice.

^^^This, 100%

The Colts of the Peyton era did not instill fear in anyone defensively outside our pass rushers but definitely did so offensively due to the high level of execution they were capable of. Plus, we figured out under Dungy and Caldwell how to play for 60 minutes and did not shoot ourselves in the foot nearly as much thus staying in most games, IMO.

3 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Let me guess he can't speak on anything because he hasn't done much this season

Given what he has done for the organization over the last 13 seasons he's earned the right to say just about anything he wants regardless if he slowing down or if he is done as a player. Its the players that are not speaking out or who has a problem with the way things currently are that's a problem

2 hours ago, Nadine said:

What does that mean 'mentally strong' does it mean they are not disciplined? 

Quitters 

Can't handle adversity

Etc Etc

Stuff like this is bad for business. Like when Fleener left for NOLA and said we quit last year and Freeman fired back at him. That could've been worse had they both been re-signed. 

When players start pointing fingers, you've basically lost the team and it's all downhill from here

The only time I can remember this working out in my short years or being a football fan was the season the New York Giants had where they finished 9-7 and had a very similar season we're having now. Injuries, Bad Chemistry, Losses, Etc Etc 

Now, that season ended with them beating the 18-0 Patriots in the Super Bowl. 

We'll see how this plays out for the Colts

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

He's not very specific.  Even praises the team and coaches for having enough talent and ability to play with anyone, but then says we are just not mentally tough.  What does that mean, in what circumstances did he observe this.

Seems more like since he identified himself as a leader, he felt compelled to say something...anything.  That was pretty generic.

I think what he meant is that they're soft. They don't want it bad enough and don't have that Killer instinct. The Colts aren't a hard knock team. They're a finesse team.

3 hours ago, Nadine said:

What does that mean 'mentally strong' does it mean they are not disciplined? 

I think its a way of saying the team is immature, and/or doesn't handle adversity well. Which looks to be true with how we played Houston. 

Thats just me guessing though, but it would make sense if Robert meant it that way.

4 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

If it's true that falls on both the coaches and the GM.  The GM needs to find players that have their own mental toughness but it's also up to the coaches to instill that attitude among the players and reinforce it every day.

The Steelers and Ravens are two organizations that are excellent at that.  They don't always have the most talented teams on the field but you know when you play them you are going to get punched in the mouth and smacked around hard all game long. 

If its true it falls on the players

5 hours ago, Gavin said:

Something that's been clear for years now

Nonsense.      Pure nonsense.

If the team hasn't been mentally strong for years now,   then how has it enjoyed so many come from behind wins since Luck became the quarterback?      Hmmm?

And I think Mathis' comments,  while well intended, are off the mark.

He can't publicly say the team doesn't have enough talent,   so he chalks it up to not being mentally tough.    As if  no one is to blame.      And he says blame him.     Well,  great,  except (A) he hasn't played for much of the year, and (B) when he has played he wasn't much of a factor and (C)  he likely won't be on the roster next year.....

I appreciate that Robert may be trying to light a fire under the team,  as was Hilton,  but we simply have to try and play better in our last 3 games.     If not,  it'll likely lead to an interesting off-season.

3 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

Laziness. It was said last season as well of a certain few players. It's carried over this season as well.

I view it as being sloppy.

its like the team puts on a new suit each week and forgets to press it.

its in the DETAILS.  Day in and day out.  Doing the work necessary to be prepared for anything come sunday.  It seems to be at the heart of NE's success (besides the "other" stuff they do.  Our team looked prepared for 2 games this year.  Jets and i forget the other already.

Thats the thing i liked about Caldwell.  He seemed to have the team's ducks lined up for games.

i want my head coach to be a manager.  Manade the coaches and players (chess pieces) to pressure the opponent's weaknesses.  Pags isn't that guy.  He's a rah-rah guy.  High school teams need rah-rah.  Pros don't.  I want a no-nonsense A-type persnality that spells things out well and DEMANDS results.  

7 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

The cracks are starting to show.  Teams that "love" their coach don't air their dirty laundry in public.  I think Chuck is starting to lose the respect of the lockerroom, hopefully Irsay takes notice.

Exactly.  First T.Y. now Mathis.  I think this is a subtle hint from within the locker room that they are ready for this regime to move on without having to come out and SAY it directly.  That way if it doesn't happen it's not as awkward.  But I would guess this team is ready for a new voice.  No inside knowledge or anything, just a guess.

5 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

Exactly.  First T.Y. now Mathis.  I think this is a subtle hint from within the locker room that they are ready for this regime to move on without having to come out and SAY it directly.  That way if it doesn't happen it's not as awkward.  But I would guess this team is ready for a new voice.  No inside knowledge or anything, just a guess.

It does seem that way, while I think Hilton and Mathis are just trying to be leaders and motivate their team, I could see that being an ulterior motive.   Just the fact that they feel the need to say these things shows their isn't clear leadership within the organization, especially when it is going public.  Very interesting, because the players were incredibly supportive of Caldwell in his last season and we aren't hearing those same things in this situation. 

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Nonsense.      Pure nonsense.

If the team hasn't been mentally strong for years now,   then how has it enjoyed so many come from behind wins since Luck became the quarterback?      Hmmm?

And I think Mathis' comments,  while well intended, are off the mark.

He can't publicly say the team doesn't have enough talent,   so he chalks it up to not being mentally tough.    As if  no one is to blame.      And he says blame him.     Well,  great,  except (A) he hasn't played for much of the year, and (B) when he has played he wasn't much of a factor and (C)  he likely won't be on the roster next year.....

I appreciate that Robert may be trying to light a fire under the team,  as was Hilton,  but we simply have to try and play better in our last 3 games.     If not,  it'll likely lead to an interesting off-season.

Just because he isn't performing at a high level doesn't mean he can't call a spade a spade. He has been a leader inside the locker room longer than pretty much anyone on that team and has seen what championship caliber coaching and players are like over the years. He clearly recognizes that its not the case now..

17 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

I think its a way of saying the team is immature, and/or doesn't handle adversity well. Which looks to be true with how we played Houston. 

Thats just me guessing though, but it would make sense if Robert meant it that way.

We are playing a lot of young guys.
 Give me a well coached team with  6-8  Good starters with 4-7+ years experience, add at Minimum 3-4 Really good/Excellent players with 4+ years of experience and i would expect Mental Toughness.
  This Group needs at least 2 More full seasons together, and another half dozen Quality additions along the way. 
 Irsay says we could be 10-3. Yes, but we would still be very mediocre in many areas.
 This group is more like a 4-9 team IMO.  We are vulnerable in All Aspects of the game.