Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Free Agency Grievances Thread [Mega-merge]

SilentHill

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I agree with that. There's a lot to fix on Defense as well. But we have a lot to do this FA, and signing no one so far makes you wonder what we're thinking.

Still not sold on Grigson as the GM so I will refrain from answering that. 

My Free Agency grievance is that the Colts did not get better today. (Many more days to come, I know).

1. We lost our starting TE, (Fleener)

2. We lost our starting Safety (Lowery).

3. We stand to lose our starting MLB (Freeman)

4. We are still relying on aged veterans to fill our pass rush need, (Mathis, Cole)

5. Frank Gore is not getting younger and haven't added anyone.

6. Haven't added anyone to help an already poor O-line.

7. We stand to lose our starting CB (Toler) without a replacement.

I wasn't expecting to address all of these issues through FA, but some at least. So, how have we gotten better today?

49 minutes ago, will426 said:

nows he's on a def where he's the only threat 

Sen'Derrick Marks, Dante Fowler Jr, Tyson Alualu, Jared Odrick......just on the d line. I'd say with Fowler healthy, that's a solid d line. Add in Jackson and that's pretty nasty.

2 minutes ago, Shive said:

Sen'Derrick Marks, Dante Fowler Jr, Tyson Alualu, Jared Odrick......just on the d line. I'd say with Fowler healthy, that's a solid d line. Add in Jackson and that's pretty nasty.

Nah dline made no difference before it has nothing on denvers line period and fowler is a mystery for now 

There shouldn't even be a grievances thread. The Colts have made it pretty clear that their focus is on the draft. Anyone who thought we'd sign a bunch of top dollar free agents were poorly misguided. It was never gonna happen. 

We don't even really have the cap space for it anyway.

10 minutes ago, will426 said:

Nah dline made no difference before it has nothing on denvers line period and fowler is a mystery for now 

Its not Denver's line, but its not bad. The Jags DESTROYED us 51-16 and got 3 sacks in each game against us last year (not to mention the numerous QB hits and TFL). I'd say that's pretty decent. If Fowler is anywhere near as good as he was in college, it's going to be some rough games for our o line/Luck.

4 hours ago, MPStack said:

Why don`t some of you stop your b**chin and see how the rest of FA unfolds and the draft. Except the fact this is not a very good football team yet, The front office and staff know more than we do. That is all.

How dare you bring logic and reasoning into this thread. The sky is falling!!!! 

7 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Everybody always says this same crap. Yeah maybe a player or 2 wouldn't want to sign here. But you cant tell me out of Osemele, Allen, Brooks, Boone, Jenkins, Mack and all the other guys. You cant tell me we couldn't get 1 or 2 of those guys. Thinking none of those good players would want to sign here is ridiculous. We could have gotten one of those guards if we wanted too. Your way of thinking is no good player wants to sign here.

This is so true you just can't offer them freaking pennies to come here 

I've been saying for a couple of weeks the Colts didn't really have the cap space this year to be big players in free agency because they were going to use most of their cap space to keep their own.

So the lack of activity today didn't really surprise me.  Also, it's pretty clear the Colts needed to do something different given past results so I am cool with keeping their own, drafting well and maybe signing a senseable free agent here or there.  

I know the Colts have a lot of holes to fill and while people might not want to hear this but the Colts might not fill all their holes this off-season.  It might be a year or two until they can get everything addressed.

Here's the thing, people can say the front office knows more than us and that's fine. The real question is do they know more than the other 31 front offices? I think I can answer an easy no to that one. Besides a few core players, our team is devoid of talent and arguably at the same level as it was a few years ago.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Here's the thing, people can say the front office knows more than us and that's fine. The real question is do they know more than the other 31 front offices? I think I can answer an easy no to that one. Besides a few core players, our team is devoid of talent and arguable at the same level as it was a few years ago.

The Draft hasn't happened yet. Lets judge after that.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The Draft hasn't happened yet. Lets judge after that.

I will, the draft is the one area I have some trust in Grigson still. Hopefully, for everyone's sakes, he does his due diligence and we come out of the draft a better team.

1 hour ago, Flash said:

My Free Agency grievance is that the Colts did not get better today. (Many more days to come, I know).

1. We lost our starting TE, (Fleener)

2. We lost our starting Safety (Lowery).

3. We stand to lose our starting MLB (Freeman)

4. We are still relying on aged veterans to fill our pass rush need, (Mathis, Cole)

5. Frank Gore is not getting younger and haven't added anyone.

6. Haven't added anyone to help an already poor O-line.

7. We stand to lose our starting CB (Toler) without a replacement.

I wasn't expecting to address all of these issues through FA, but some at least. So, how have we gotten better today?

1.  They kept Allen and in all likely hood will keep Doyle.  They also have also have the practice squad kid they could bring up so they are fine at tight end.

2.  They have Geathers who looked extremely promising as a rookie to take over

3.  Jury is still out on Freeman.  Kravitz seems to think that the longer he remains unsigned the more likely he returns to the Colts.

4.  This is a problem but one that probably needs to be addressed in the draft more than free agency.

5.  Again draft or later free agency.  You don't have to have a day one running back in free agency.

6.  I'd expect the Colts to address this either in the draft or in the coming days of free agency.

7.  They have the Smith kid they drafted high last year.  I have a feeling he was drafted to replace Toler.  

Have they gotten better today?  No, but the season doesn't start tomorrow.

Disappointed to say the least.   

Keeping Allen is a gamble IMO although I do think he will probably work out and Coby is going to do very well in NO.   

No idea why we couldn't afford Lowery.   

Luck's contract is going to really hurt us more next year.   

I don't think our team is very talented.   

Osweiler's deal is insane to me, but Texans gonna Texan.   

Jacksonville is going to win the AFC South. 

6 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

Disappointed to say the least.   

Keeping Allen is a gamble IMO although I do think he will probably work out and Coby is going to do very well in NO.   

No idea why we couldn't afford Lowery.   

Luck's contract is going to really hurt us more next year.   

I don't think our team is very talented.   

Osweiler's deal is insane to me, but Texans gonna Texan.   

Jacksonville is going to win the AFC South. 

How is Luck's contract going to hurt the Colts?  They have no one to sign. Thorton?

Dang, I meant to post this fact here instead of a different post, perhaps the Mods can nuke the other spot for me.  

I heard on ESPN today that out of over 500 FA's that changed teams last year, only 4 made the Pro Bowl in a year that saw a record number of players and fill in's involved in the game and honors.  So if you have less than a 1% chance to sign a pro bowl player, perhaps staying away from the mega contracts is a smart move.  And I am not fan of Grigson.  I had hoped we could find a CB partner for Vontae (assuming he can return to his former production level) perhaps like a Sean Smith from KC, but right now he's the Top FA CB so he'll cost too much.  Does anyone know of an affordable option to be our #2 CB or do we need to draft the #2 CB? 

7 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

we splurged on FA's a ton last year and they disappointed. Yet people expect us to go and splurge some more this year. 

Irsay already said the focus is to build from the draft. Get used to the fact that we aren't getting any high profile guys

I agree, it is just sad that we wasted so much on "name" players that couldn't play anymore.  I'd rather be mad we DIDN'T sign someone than made we DID sign someone like many of us were last year with the likes of Andre Johnson who was such a wasted investment on so many levels.  Let's see, Reggie for next to nothing, or Andre for a fortune who barely showed up all season.  Reggie on one leg would have easily out performed him, solidified his HOF credentials and perhaps could have helped us win 1 more game to make the playoffs with that small chance Andrew could have played.  That's just one of many.  Houston took a big gamble that could be the best move in years (Osweiler and Lamar) or disastrous for their team.. we won't know for some time, but we didn't have that kind of money to sign the biggest names as they, Jacksonville and TN have done so far.  We need 3 home run starters in the draft to keep our hold on the division, otherwise we could really start falling behind these much younger teams.  Houston has only really been short a "decent" (let alone above average) QB for a while to take control of our division.  If Osweiler works out, and their D continues to dominate, we could be looking up at them for a while. 

3 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

I agree, it is just sad that we wasted so much on "name" players that couldn't play anymore.  I'd rather be mad we DIDN'T sign someone than made we DID sign someone like many of us were last year with the likes of Andre Johnson who was such a wasted investment on so many levels.  Let's see, Reggie for next to nothing, or Andre for a fortune who barely showed up all season.  Reggie on one leg would have easily out performed him, solidified his HOF credentials and perhaps could have helped us win 1 more game to make the playoffs with that small chance Andrew could have played.  That's just one of many.  Houston took a big gamble that could be the best move in years (Osweiler and Lamar) or disastrous for their team.. we won't know for some time, but we didn't have that kind of money to sign the biggest names as they, Jacksonville and TN have done so far.  We need 3 home run starters in the draft to keep our hold on the division, otherwise we could really start falling behind these much younger teams.  Houston has only really been short a "decent" (let alone above average) QB for a while to take control of our division.  If Osweiler works out, and their D continues to dominate, we could be looking up at them for a while. 

Yeah after the Free Agency we had last season I can see why Grigs is being cautious. I still like Gore and think he can produce at times but the Andre Johnson signing was a disaster. He didn't do anything for us. That kind of surprised me too because I always looked at him at being in Reggie's class, really slightly better so I thought he would have a Good season at worse with us being 3 years younger than Reggie. Didn't happen though.

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

When you're a first round pick you're expected to start 

First, no that's not true at all.  Second, you guys have been referring to Malik Jackson, right?  You do know he was a FIFTH round pick...not a first....right?  

6 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Out of Osemele, Allen, Brooks, and Boone we could have signed one of those players had we made a good offer. Out of the corners left. Smith, Hayward, Amukamara, and Patrick Robinson we can sign one of those guys. You let on like we cant sign any good players because players get to pick where they sign. Well obviously they get to pick where they sign but had we made offers to those guys we could have gotten one of them. And actually. if a player get the same offer he'd probably rather come here than to some loser team with no QB

Please tell us how you know that the colts did not reach out to the agents of those players?  

7 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:
19 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

Please tell us how you know that the colts did not reach out to the agents of those players?  

That's easy to answer Jason. Some would prefer just to sit around and whine and cry over things they have little knowledge of. Most fans know things are not announced till they are done. Just because they hear no news they think nothing is going on or no efforts are being done. I don't get why so many are having an issue over these free agents because it was made known that Grigson was not going to hit the free agent market hard this season. I feel pretty sure the FO has some players on their radar and are working on signing them. We don't have the cap room to over spend on free agents. I just don't get why some cant grasp that reality.

Whatever the plan is. If there is one. Its pathetic. Its unreal to me. I mean. Its this simple. We could sign a good G, C, and CB and have a good draft and we'd be one of the best teams in the NFL. Or we can not do anything and maybe make the playoffs but not be a SB contender. I mean this is why Grigson should have been fired. Who'd worried about 5 years from now when we have Andrew Luck? Grigson should be focused on fielding the best team he can every offseason instead of not signing a good player because it COULD hurt us in a few years.

Dear God

Wouldn't it have made more sense to have cut DQ, Cole, Dre, Werner, and Jones. And have 50 million in cap room and sign Janorris Jenkins, Jeff Allen, and Stefen Wisniewski????? Wouldn't that make sense? Wouldn't that make us drastically better? Its like Grigson doesn't care if we're Super Bowl contenders this year.

Once again - Dear God

It's about the time the NFL started handing out a trophy for the team that "wins" free agency, as it's rare for them to make a deep run in the playoffs (anybody remember the Philadelphia "Dream Team"?).  If you get a Lombardi for winning a SuperBowl, I'd suggest revered former Detroit GM Matt Millen as the name of the free agency trophy, given the success he had building a roster with the Lions.

7 hours ago, JPFolks said:
7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah after the Free Agency we had last season I can see why Grigs is being cautious. I still like Gore and think he can produce at times but the Andre Johnson signing was a disaster. He didn't do anything for us. That kind of surprised me too because I always looked at him at being in Reggie's class, really slightly better so I thought he would have a Good season at worse with us being 3 years younger than Reggie. Didn't happen though.

Other teams that did nothing on day 1 in free agency: New England, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Cincinnati, Arizona, Carolina, hell, Denver doesn't even have a QB and they stood pat on day 1.

And in several interviews, articles, etc, the Colts brass said that they would not be big players in FA. Did everyone here think they were just lying? I really don't understand what all the whining is about.

2 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Other teams that did nothing on day 1 in free agency: New England, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Cincinnati, Arizona, Carolina, hell, Denver doesn't even have a QB and they stood pat on day 1.

Yeah, but those are all garbage teams! Garbage, I tell you!

:76evil:

11 hours ago, Susie Q said:

Still not sold on Grigson as the GM so I will refrain from answering that. 

Hey, you're not alone.  I think he's better than he gets credit for from some folks.  That still doesn't mean I believe he's the right guy for hte job.  I say he and Pagano has about 2 years to right the ship.  If we're not at least seriously pushing for a super bowl by the end of year two, I think changes will be made or should be made.

2 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

And in several interviews, articles, etc, the Colts brass said that they would not be big players in FA. Did everyone here think they were just lying? I really don't understand what all the whining is about.

As I think is this case far too often here it wasn't what they wanted to hear so they ignored it or twisted it to mean something else.