Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Free Agency Grievances Thread [Mega-merge]

SilentHill

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Some of us told some of you that this was coming,  but you didn't want to believe it.

Some of us said we don't have enough money to compete for the top free agents.

Some of us said the Free Agent money is INSANE!!      And now the top guys are going elsewhere for crazy money and you act.....     surprised and offended and upset.      This wasn't that hard to see coming.

I hope we can keep Freeman....     I wanted us to keep Fleener, but that doesn't look likely now....

Not sure who will be available in the mid-market and bottom market range where we often shop....?

But the usual suspects are the ones that are complaining....      very predictable.

Preach it Brother!

We have roughly 16-22 mill in cap space folks...Not enough for a big name FA ($15,997,793.00 according to Over The Cap.....$22,106,994.00 according to Spotrac). I do wonder how much Casey Heywards camp is wanting however

32 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

If Toler is a starting CB on this team next season it would be a travesty.

I'm relaxed, but I'm also being reasonable and logical. We aren't doing what we need to do to compete for a SB trophy this coming season

Yes,  the teams that over spend in the first 20 minutes of FA are always successful.   That's why the patriots ate always signing these huge deals

40 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I wouldn't say we have "glaring holes" in the secondary, but we will need a safety to replace Adams, and an upgrade at CB2. D-line could use a bit more depth, but it was much improved talent-wise from 14-15, so it's actually our biggest strength on D at this point. 

As for Grigson's plan, he's probably watching the other teams in our division waste tons of money and draft picks on guys like Brock Osweiler, Demarco Murray, Malik Jackson, etc... all trying desperately to compete with the Colts, and he's probably laughing like a crazy person.

or maybe 2-4  1-5 in our division next season
enjoy

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

Yes,  the teams that over spend in the first 20 minutes of FA are always successful.   That's why the patriots ate always signing these huge deals

Actually it's not the first 20 minutes, a lot of players already agreed to contracts before free agency began. So a bit of the market was technically gone.

47 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Whatever the plan is. If there is one. Its pathetic. Its unreal to me. I mean. Its this simple. We could sign a good G, C, and CB and have a good draft and we'd be one of the best teams in the NFL. Or we can not do anything and maybe make the playoffs but not be a SB contender. I mean this is why Grigson should have been fired. Who'd worried about 5 years from now when we have Andrew Luck? Grigson should be focused on fielding the best team he can every offseason instead of not signing a good player because it COULD hurt us in a few years.

holy hell CALM DOWN.  You have zero idea what's going on behind closed doors and your "speculation" that Grigson is doing nothing is based on absolutely nothing but your pre-existing dislike of him.  It's already been obvious that he's not doing "nothing".  

Hey, here's a question, out of all of the Guards, Centers and CornerBacks that were available heading into Free agency, how many of them are left still unsigned?  Guess what?  Almost all of them minus the "big names" that we were never going to get anyway.

So...how about you chill out, stop cluttering every thread with your incessant whining about Grigson and just wait a little bit and see what happens?  :thmup:

Build through the draft and pay your own guys. 

It's pretty simple. Look at New England, Green Bay, Carolina and Denver. 

If Grigs isn't paying top $$$ for big name FA's it doesn't mean he's not looking for upgrades via FA, it just means he's being frugal which is good.

17 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

We splurged on guys over 30...

15 minutes ago, Flash said:

I get that we wasted money in FA last year and the year before, but that's not what we're asking for. We didn't clamor for old aging vets, or players with minimal impact.

We are clamoring for just a few impact players. That's it. Just a proven O-lineman to shore up the O-line or a proven young cornerback that can remain with the team and achieve prolonged success alongside V. Davis. Yes, you will pay them more, but it's better to have a very good player that's paid, than a lot of players who don't perform well. The latter has been Grigson's M.O. and we want something different.

But there's still PLENTY of time left. FA literally started 35 minutes ago. We'll get some impact players. Maybe a 2nd Corner, or depth at safety or whatever. There is still time. And by the way, YOUNG impact players (such as a proven young corner back) are expensive. Like very expensive. If they were cheap, they wouldn't be young impact players. It's not as if everyone good is gone. Still lots of players left. 

17 minutes ago, Moncrief said:

Is it possible we're just trying to not spend any cap this year, roll it all over to next

Because lord knows we are going to be frugal spenders now with Luck and Anderson's big contract coming up in a few years ;)

Yes lets put back some $$$ so we can sign Anderson in 2019! chuckle

57 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

I'm not seeing it. We have glaring holes in the secondary, and both lines, as well as an aging RB.

We can't address all of these in the draft, I really thought we were going to get away from overpaying below average talent in hopes of finding a diamond in the rough.

Why do that? Its worked out so well up to now.....

I'm slightly hopeful due to the facts that Casey Hayward hasn't signed anywhere, and neither has Freeman.  (I like to think they are sitting next to each other in RG's office, waiting for the big announcement.)

2 minutes ago, Archer said:

I'm slightly hopeful due to the facts that Casey Hayward hasn't signed anywhere, and neither has Freeman.  (I like to think they are sitting next to each other in RG's office, waiting for the big announcement.)

Has Hayward ever played press man coverage?

33 minutes ago, weslo1812 said:

But who's to say our good offers won't be beat by other teams though who have more money???

Yes. He can play in the slot, on the outside. He can play press and he can play zone. He's like one of the few corner's who can basically fit any defense.

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

When did he play press man?

I've read write-ups on the guy that claim what 449 is saying.  Basically, he's scheme versatile.  Haven't spent any time looking at tape though...

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

The Packers play zone.  We have played and I think will still play man, press man.  Big difference 

The Colts wanted him in the 2012 draft so they probably think he fits fine. And I'm pretty sure the Packers play man.

9 minutes ago, RealityIsLuck said:

Build through the draft and pay your own guys. 

It's pretty simple. Look at New England, Green Bay, Carolina and Denver. 

If Grigs isn't paying top $$$ for big name FA's it doesn't mean he's not looking for upgrades via FA, it just means he's being frugal which is good.

To be fair, Denver connected on a ton of FA acquisitions (Manning, Talib, Welker, Sanders, Daniels, Ware). NE is just another animal with their amazing coaching and Brady's friendly contract. Seattle of the last few years is probably the best example including the acquisition of Lynch.

8 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

The Packers play zone.  We have played and I think will still play man, press man.  Big difference 

Only thing I can say is the reports during that draft were that either Pagano or Manusky (or more likely probably both) REALLY wanted Hayward.  One of them reportedly threw their clipboard against the wall when GB traded up and grabbed him.  I haven't really watched him play all that much to be able to say for myself though.

After seeing what Trevathan went for and the trade for Maxwell and Alonso, on top of seeing the whole division adding pieces to the puzzle, I admit, I am a bit discouraged at the moment.  However, I will not fret, I believe with the new coaching staff and a pickup of a solid CB and the first 3 picks geared towards LB's or OL, I know we will be fine.  However, I highly doubt all of that happens.

Im actually happy we restructured Cole, for what he is getting, that will be a good deal.  Not sure about how much DA got, but glad he's back, and also the AV resign, as well as cutting Werner.  I still don't think Luck deserves more than 23M/yr though.