Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Free Agency Grievances Thread [Mega-merge]

SilentHill

2 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

If that guy didn't spell so well I would swear he was a 3 year old child considering the way he's been acting since FA started.

I don't.....I don't know if that's a complement? Or an insult.

LOL. I'm playing dude.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Other teams that did nothing on day 1 in free agency: New England, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Cincinnati, Arizona, Carolina, hell, Denver doesn't even have a QB and they stood pat on day 1.

And in several interviews, articles, etc, the Colts brass said that they would not be big players in FA. Did everyone here think they were just lying? I really don't understand what all the whining is about.

I don't get the whining either. I didn't think we would do much. I am more concerned about the Draft. Grigs is as well.

On 3/10/2016 at 2:12 AM, Jason_S said:

First, no that's not true at all.  Second, you guys have been referring to Malik Jackson, right?  You do know he was a FIFTH round pick...not a first....right?  

We've had great success with SOME lower round players.  3 of our best players on the team are 3rd rounders (Hilton, Allen and Anderson) and Parry in the 5th turned out to be a wonderful surprise.  Geathers still has a way to go, but he may HAVE to step up this year big for us.  We need a backfield partner for Gore who can run fast and wide (as opposed to over people like Gore) and who can catch well and is an amazing blocker both in the backfield and even downfield of which there's one we could grab in the first round that fits that.  We could follow up with a Defensive players in the 2nd and an O Lineman in the 3rd who all might be starters for us.  Even if the rest of the draft did nothing, three good top picks could make a massive difference for us.  Add in a few mid-level (and hopefully younger than usual) FA's here and there and then they can gamble a little with the later picks instead of doing the Gambling in the first rounds.  If we do take a lineman in the first, I am all for an Ohio State product... they are CRANKING OUT good linemen.  I am unsure of what defenders are in the first round in our range, but I look forward to someone championing some so we can check them out.  

17 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't get the whining either. I didn't think we would do much. I am more concerned about the Draft. Grigs is as well.

For the record, I didnt think we'd do much either, however I did expect us to at least dip into FA a tad and not ignore it completely.  We have a ton of holes right now and not all can or will be filled in quality by the draft

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

For the record, I didnt think we'd do much either, however I did expect us to at least dip into FA a tad and not ignore it completely.  We have a ton of holes right now and not all can or will be filled in quality by the draft

Players like Trevathan and M. Jackson we will never hear from again as being an impact player or Good. They got their measily little more money but now wont even be mentioned. Lets see how they do when they don't play around players like Miller, Ware, Talib, and a Defense that had great chemistry. Alvin Harper back in the day had the key to the city of Dallas, was known as a Good WR, he was a hero as he torched the 49ers in the Championship Game. OK here is my point, dude takes a million more a year to leave a Dynasty to play for the stinky Bucs and he stunk on top of it. Once he left the Cowboys I never heard his name once for years.

Complain all you want.

I applaud Grigson for not signing Brent Grimes. He may be a good corner, but the extra baggage he brings in the form of his wife just isn't worth it. That woman is a thoroughbred imbecile.

I'm pretty sure I'd go into the season with only 1 corner to avoid her.

No compensatory picks, losing players left and right, we have Coby Fleener questioning the heart of former teammates, all our divisional rivals are improving (possibly), and all we have to show for it is a backup QB and a long snapper.

It takes more than a year to develop a good o-lineman after they're drafted, so if we're building through the draft, then Luck may struggle again.

We'll see what happens though. I'm sure they have a plan.

Man I've told the forum over and over how bad of a GM he is. People just think I'm being a redneck and ranting because we didn't sign this one or that one. Well you should be mad. Every Colts fan should be furious. Sitting around and letting the division get better while you do nothing is plain dumb. Grigson may be good a working contracts, but he sucks at everything else. I mean this guy is totally incompetent. He needs to go if we want to have a dynasty here again. A good GM could already have a dynasty in the making. A good GM would have went all out in free agency to make our team better. People need to wake up and realize how terrible he is. But I know somebody's gonna respond to me and be like "Oh players get to choose where they go". "Nobody wants to sign here." "How do you know Grigson didn't make offers to Bruce Irvin, Janoris Jenkins, Jeff Allen, Brandon Brooks, and Kelechi Osemele"

7 minutes ago, MTC said:

Sorry to break it to you guys, but we're re-building this roster and going younger through the draft. No more spending money on older guys. 

We shouldn't be spending on old guys. That's dumb. But we should be spending on young, impact players. I don't understand a GM who wants to wait to win. He's perfectly fine with not being a true SB contender this year and that's NOT OK.

1 minute ago, COLTS449 said:

We shouldn't be spending on old guys. That's dumb. But we should be spending on young, impact players. I don't understand a GM who wants to wait to win. He's perfectly fine with not being a true SB contender this year and that's NOT OK.

Jerrell Freeman is going to be 30. Read the article. 

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2016/03/12/colts-jerrell-freeman-walks-joins-bears/81693214/

1 minute ago, MTC said:

Sorry to break it to you guys, but we're re-building this roster and going younger through the draft. No more spending money on older guys. 

That's fine with me because building a Great team is a Marathon not a sprint. Andrew is only 25 so we have at least 10 more years to win a SB with him. Grigs went all out last season by signing 3 players in Gore, Johnson, and Cole who are old and everyone thought it was fantastic. It turned out to be a flop. I am for building through the Draft over the next 2 or 3 years, getting a stacked Defense and signing Andrew to like a 7 year deal. I have patience which many don't. I know with Andrew we will eventually win a SB, it may not be next season or in the next 3 seasons but remember it took Peyton 9 seasons before he won one.

3 minutes ago, MTC said:

That much is clear now, and I'm thrilled about it.

Regarding Freeman: We have a new DC that knows a thing or two about building a great LB group, so I assume that he knows who he wants and who is expendable. So maybe Grigson is just following the priorities that Pagano and Ted has set forward. Just something to keep in mind. 

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That's fine with me because building a Great team is a Marathon not a sprint. Andrew is only 25 so we have at least 10 more years to win a SB with him. Grigs went all out last season by signing 3 players in Gore, Johnson, and Cole who are old and everyone thought it was fantastic. It turned out to be a flop. I am for building through the Draft over the next 2 or 3 years, getting a stacked Defense and signing Andrew to like a 7 year deal. I have patience which many don't. I know with Andrew we will eventually win a SB, it may not be next season or in the next 3 seasons but remember it took Peyton 9 seasons before he won one.

To follow this Post up I am just grateful we have been an Elite franchise since roughly the 2002 Season. Only twice we haven't won at least 10 games since 2002 and have been to 4 Final 4's in that time frame - one with Andrew already, 2 SB's, and won a SB. If we didn't have a SB win I would be more grouchy about things but the Colts have given me so many Great moments since the early 2000's that I just take the good with the bad.

10 minutes ago, MTC said:

4/12 is fine for a guy who's playing at that high a level. Even if he is 30. The old guys we shouldn't have signed are Dre, Herremans, Cole, and even Gore.

This team is gonna suck next season unless Luck has a big comeback year, there's my grievance. This last transaction of not paying Freeman 4 mil per year really annoys me. Jackson was the issue, not Freeman. Jackson is old and can't cover.

And I don't see how the OL gets much better, unless Indy spends 2 or 3 picks on OL, in which case then the defense gets neglected.

Here are all the positions that still have yet to be addressed...

ILB, OLB, NT, CB, FS, RB, RG, C

i get scare when people say well just build through the draft lets look at grigson picks

(1) QB Andrew Luck, (2) TE Coby Fleener, (3) TE Dwayne Allen, (3) WR T.Y. Hilton, (5) DT Josh Chapman, (5) RB Vick Ballard, (6) WR LaVon Brazill, (7) G Justin Anderson, (7) LB Tim Fugger, (7) QB Chandler Harnish

(1) OLB Bjoern Werner, (3) G Hugh Thornton, (4) G-C Khaled Holmes, (5) DT Montori Hughes, (6) S John Boyett, (7) RB Kerwynn Williams, (7) TE Justice Cunningham.

(2) G-T Jack Mewhort, (3) WR Donte Moncrief, (5) OLB Jonathan Newsome, (6) LB Andrew Jackson, (7) OT Ulrick John

Phillip Dorsett wr  D'Joun Smith.cb     Clayton Geathers   henry anderson     David Parry   josh Robinson   denzelle good

who has been good luck is irsays pick  besides that only hilton has been good donte moncreif, henry anderson shown some flashes dwayne allen hasnt been that good look at the numbers so has coby fleener both under performed so your talking about 4 drafts picking one good player in hilton and one who looks to have a bright future anderson and donte moncreif who has been pretty good out of 30 players drafted minus trading a first for trent , we are so screwed and no one sees it coming.

Look at starting roster (as of now):

QB - Luck

RB - Gore

WR - Hilton, Moncrief, and Dorsett

TE - Allen 

LT - Castonzo

LG - Mewhort

C - Harrison

RG - Thornton

RT - Reitz

LE - Jones

RE - Langford

NT - Parry

LOLB - Cole

ROLB - Walden

ILBs - Jackson and Irving/Sio

CB - Davis, Brown, and Butler

FS - Geathers

SS - Adams

P/K/LS - McAfee, Vinatieri, and Overton

----------

I mean it's not terrible. We just don't have a lot of depth if our guys get injured.

7 minutes ago, MTC said:

Look at starting roster (as of now):

QB - Luck

RB - Gore

WR - Hilton, Moncrief, and Dorsett

TE - Allen 

LT - Castonzo

LG - Mewhort

C - Harrison

RG - Thornton

RT - Reitz

LE - Jones

RE - Langford

NT - Parry

LOLB - Cole

ROLB - Walden

ILBs - Jackson and Irving/Sio

CB - Davis, Brown, and Butler

FS - Geathers

SS - Adams

P/K/LS - McAfee, Vinatieri, and Overton

----------

I mean it's not terrible. We just don't have a lot of depth if our guys get injured.

it is though 26 in overall defense last year we just lost a two of our best players also from the defense last year and adams is really old he is gonna start to fall apart we have the worst pass rushing combo in walden and cole in the nfl.  this defense is worse this year we are gonna be 30 or worst next year

59 minutes ago, MTC said:

Then why is DQ still on the team with his $5+ mil cap hit?  Or why re-structure Trent Cole instead of releasing him?  If the plan was to get younger, I don't see why we wouldn't cut DQ and Cole.  Cole's cap hit before re-structuring was something like $6 mil, if I recall correctly.  Cutting Cole and DQ would have freed up $11 mil in cap space, which would have been more than enough to bring Freeman back and bring in a guy like Nigel Bradham (signed with Eagles, terms undisclosed) or Derrick Shelby (signed with Falcons for 4 years, $18 mil).

34 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Nice, '06CBE. And true to the point. (which most miss) The mentality of win & win now through Grigson's tenure has taken another course because it simply doesn't work that way. NFL fans should read through the obvious here. Win & win now has been tossed out the window for the time being. A smart concise move by the organization. Irsay states that the draft & consensual input from new blood (coaching) paves the way for the Colts. I think for the better. Much better. 

Time is NOT of the essence here. Smart selection through draft, FA, et.al by multiple 

consensus is a huge winning factor. Go ask New England, Pittsburgh, Denver. You build a continual SB contender this way. Multiple facets go into a formidable system. 

Determine what type of team system and schematics you want to follow. Then, go get the coaching staff to follow it. Selection of players next. Conformity to that system after that. Follow those steps and do not deviate from it. And, let the cards fall where they may. I truly believe Jim Irsay has seen the light to accomplish the above.

The type of system & team along with the newly formed coaching staff is the proof of what's going on. It just has to be followed through, no matter how long that takes.

Winning and winning with a great team for multiple seasons is the goal. You do not acquire this without the outlined above. I like where we're headed. I truly hope it's going to be a fantastic ride for years to come. I expect that, as do many others.

On 2016-03-10 at 5:30 AM, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Other teams that did nothing on day 1 in free agency: New England, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Cincinnati, Arizona, Carolina, hell, Denver doesn't even have a QB and they stood pat on day 1.

And in several interviews, articles, etc, the Colts brass said that they would not be big players in FA. Did everyone here think they were just lying? I really don't understand what all the whining is about.

Every single one of the teams you mentioned that did nothing major in free agency had a much more successful season than the Colts and have more complete rosters.  I'm not saying we should go out and sign everyone, but I feel like we're letting some good talent get away at cheap costs

16 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

it is though 26 in overall defense last year we just lost a two of our best players also from the defense last year and adams is really old he is gonna start to fall apart we have the worst pass rushing combo in walden and cole in the nfl.  this defense is worse this year we are gonna be 30 or worst next year

You don't think that some of that 26th ranking was due to the offense being inept , and having a bunch of three and outs, which in the end gave the defense very little time to rest?

7 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Then why is DQ still on the team with his $5+ mil cap hit?  Or why re-structure Trent Cole instead of releasing him?  If the plan was to get younger, I don't see why we wouldn't cut DQ and Cole.  Cole's cap hit before re-structuring was something like $6 mil, if I recall correctly.  Cutting Cole and DQ would have freed up $11 mil in cap space, which would have been more than enough to bring Freeman back and bring in a guy like Nigel Bradham (signed with Eagles, terms undisclosed) or Derrick Shelby (signed with Falcons for 4 years, $18 mil).

Lack of depth.

Meaning they won't be here for much longer. Could see Cole, DQ, and Adams gone the following season.

48 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

This team is gonna suck next season unless Luck has a big comeback year, there's my grievance. This last transaction of not paying Freeman 4 mil per year really annoys me. Jackson was the issue, not Freeman. Jackson is old and can't cover.

And I don't see how the OL gets much better, unless Indy spends 2 or 3 picks on OL, in which case then the defense gets neglected.

Here are all the positions that still have yet to be addressed...

ILB, OLB, NT, CB, FS, RB, RG, C

I would even add WR to that group. Outside of Dorsett, we have no depth there at all. 

I wouldn't get my hopes up on the beloved this year. They weren't that good before free agency . The Bears are looking good right now. They drastically improved their defense . Fox is very good at turning things around culture wise, respected by the players. I wouldn't be surprised if we got our arses handed to us by them at home, which sucks, because I really can't stand the Bears. I live in Illinois and laugh at their blind optimism every year, but this time they have some reason to be optimistic. 

If Grigson doesn't wake up and gt us some help (quality players) we are going to be in for a long season. Our division is going to be much tougher. I know i have said this in other threads but we CAN NOT address all our needs in the draft. Luck is going to get killed again and our defense is going to be in the bottom half of the league again. Grigson has stated a couple times that it taes a long time to develop OL out of college but it looks like he is going to rely be relying on atleast 1 to protect our franchise QB this upcoming season along with filling all the other obvious holes we have on our roster.

I was begrudgingly onboard with keeping Grigson and Pagano for the sake of continuity, but if this years strategy is all about comp picks Grigson should be fired.  its not like we are going to be getting a bunch of 3's and 4's.  I would rather have a couple of impact free agents than the comp picks we are going to get next year. It's ridiculous that Grigson has been here for this long and some people are still talking about giving him a couple more years for a small rebuild.  People always complain about armchair GM's ... there is no doubt in my mind that there are some "armchair GMs" who could do just as well or better than Grigson has done

14 minutes ago, esmort said:

I was begrudgingly onboard with keeping Grigson and Pagano for the sake of continuity, but if this years strategy is all about comp picks Grigson should be fired.  its not like we are going to be getting a bunch of 3's and 4's.  I would rather have a couple of impact free agents than the comp picks we are going to get next year. It's ridiculous that Grigson has been here for this long and some people are still talking about giving him a couple more years for a small rebuild.  People always complain about armchair GM's ... there is no doubt in my mind that there are some "armchair GMs" who could do just as well or better than Grigson has done

You need to reconsider your thought process.

14 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

You need to reconsider your thought process.

No I don't ... you need to quit believing the job is so complex that there is only a handful of people in the world who can do it ... This opinion that no fan could possibly do the job as well as someone currently working as a GM is nonsense.  There are definitely fans out there (no I am not talking about me) with both the business and football knowledge who could perform the job of GM  (especially once they had the access to the team resources, scouts, coaches, etc..); and I have no doubt some would be good at it and many would be better than Grigson. 

23 minutes ago, esmort said:

No I don't ... you need to quit believing the job is so complex that there is only a handful of people in the world who can do it ... This opinion that no fan could possibly do the job as well as someone currently working as a GM is nonsense.  There are definitely fans out there (no I am not talking about me) with both the business and football knowledge who could perform the job of GM  (especially once they had the access to the team resources, scouts, coaches, etc..); and I have no doubt some would be good at it and many would be better than Grigson. 

You should probably accept the fact that others have differing opinions than you. There's a reason that only a handful of people are NFL GM's. It's way more complex than you believe.

45 minutes ago, esmort said:

The idea that you or anyone else on this board could do the job of an NFL GM is as laughable as the idea that a college football team could beat the worst NFL team.

23 minutes ago, corgi said:

You should probably accept the fact that others have differing opinions than you. There's a reason that only a handful of people are NFL GM's. It's way more complex than you believe.

I accept that fact, in this case I would think I am the "differing opinion".  The fact that there are only 32 teams is the reason only a handful of people are GMs.  I have no doubt that it is complex, I just don't believe that it is so much more complex of a job that there are not plenty of smart people doing other things that could do it (as good or better than some of the current GMs).  Just one example .... I would wager that there are high level executives in other industries, who played football in college and have a high football IQ, and are still football fans who would make potentially successful GMs... I am sure there are many other examples of people who would be well suited for the job.

wth Grigson!!!!

Its bad enough you didn't sign anyone to fill the huge holes on Defense but instead you let the best LB we had walk out the door.

You signed a backup QB which wasn't a huge priority and ignored everything else.

I know you wont read this but I hope your job is forfeit very soon..  you suck as a GM.

3 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

The idea that you or anyone else on this board could do the job of an NFL GM is as laughable as the idea that a college football team could beat the worst NFL team.

I specifically said I wasn't referring to me. I don't know the backgrounds and careers of all the posters on this board so I can't attest to their abilities (an neither can you).  I also didn't say they had to be from this board; I only they would fall into the category of "armchair GM".  You are naive if you believe there isn't any football fans who could be a successful GM ... there are tons of much more complex jobs that require much smarter people that get done every day.