Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Free Agency Grievances Thread [Mega-merge]

SilentHill

17 minutes ago, esmort said:

I specifically said I wasn't referring to me. I don't know the backgrounds and careers of all the posters on this board so I can't attest to their abilities (an neither can you).  I also didn't say they had to be from this board; I only they would fall into the category of "armchair GM".  You are naive if you believe there isn't any football fans who could be a successful GM ... there are tons of much more complex jobs that require much smarter people that get done every day. 

How many pay as well as a NFL GM?   So no, an armchair GM could not do the job as well, because if they could they would.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

How many pay as well as a NFL GM?   So no, an armchair GM could not do the job as well, because if they could they would.

A lot of jobs make $1 - $3 million (the avg NFL GM salary) with many making much more. I would guess there are many reasons they don't take those jobs ... "if they could they would" is completely false (it's a silly illogical cliche that people like to overuse on the forums) not everyone wants to be an NFL GM even if they are a fan that has the ability.  Not to mention that the NFL hiring process doesn't usually work that way ... they work more off of a "put in your time" promote from within the industry model. 

23 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

It's not about Grigson doing the job as well as You, I or anyone on these forums, so to everyone who is mentioning that, cut it out. It's about Grigson doing a better job than 31 other GM's in the league. He's proven he can't do that. You can talk about making the playoffs all you want and winning a few playoff games, well, he had a large head start getting Andrew Luck with his very first draft pick. Now instead of drafting us to a point where we in SB contention 4 years later, we have huge holes at the O-Line, huge holes at Pass rush, and the only real places where we are really 100% set are QB and WR. We aren't that much better than 2012 when we were just starting over, 4 drafts later. Grigson has made a lot of mistakes, and the team, players and fans have suffered, whether you want to admit it or not.

On 3/10/2016 at 7:11 PM, coming on strong said:

not to many fans get that this team is horrible,so they make fun of people who are being honest.

we have no pass rusher at all cole is horrible, mathis is old walden is horrible.. we have two aging safteys that need to be filled another corner, at least 3 new o line need middle linebackers the wr core is not as good as people think. hilton gets shut down in the playoffs we have 3 small wrs who cant beat press.

andrew lucks career is gonna be wasted like peytons was this team just got lucky to get peyton then luck. if i was luck i would go to the broncos

In what way is Walden horrible? 

Maybe I'm not as upset as a lot of you because I'm married, have a kid, have a career, do pro wrestling on the side...but no matter your situation calm down. It's a game that has no effect on your day to day life. If the Colts are trash for the next decade your life will be exactly the same. I refuse to get bent out of shape over free agency, the draft, wins or loses, or the Colts in general.

So much talk about Ryan Grigson over the last two years and his job performance. It's in the past. It's history. Gone. So, focusing on the present & future is the concern, right? Take a hard look at what's happened since the season ended. A new course and heading via Irsay hiring virtually an entire new coaching staff. A directive by him stating that the Colts will build through draft & get younger.

Responsibilities clarified & resolved by Irsay concerning Grigson & Pagano. I keep touting this because a lot of people dismiss these three HUGE important steps taken by the organization. It's a very BIG deal. The status quo is dead & buried. 

These new realities point to one thing. Consensual & multiple input concerning the entire team management. A shared consensus by all. The old way of running the team is gone. Do not dwell on it. It doesn't make sense. Instead, focus on the actions the team has shown so far. A most revealing truth to change it's venue toward another direction of winning. 

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 11:22 PM, GoColts8818 said:

I've been saying for a couple of weeks the Colts didn't really have the cap space this year to be big players in free agency because they were going to use most of their cap space to keep their own.

So the lack of activity today didn't really surprise me.  Also, it's pretty clear the Colts needed to do something different given past results so I am cool with keeping their own, drafting well and maybe signing a senseable free agent here or there.  

I know the Colts have a lot of holes to fill and while people might not want to hear this but the Colts might not fill all their holes this off-season.  It might be a year or two until they can get everything addressed.

every season we should be ready to be sb contenders, if we build for the future by the time that gets here key players and high draft picks have moved on to the highest bidder, the future is now the next season we play , and we should be ready for it. we cant put players in the bank for the future they move on, grigs be ready to take it all the way each season

9 minutes ago, ColtRider said:

So much talk about Ryan Grigson over the last two years and his job performance. It's in the past. It's history. Gone. So, focusing on the present & future is the concern, right? Take a hard look at what's happened since the season ended. A new course and heading via Irsay hiring virtually an entire new coaching staff. A directive by him stating that the Colts will build through draft & get younger.

Responsibilities clarified & resolved by Irsay concerning Grigson & Pagano. I keep touting this because a lot of people dismiss these three HUGE important steps taken by the organization. It's a very BIG deal. The status quo is dead & buried. 

These new realities point to one thing. Consensual & multiple input concerning the entire team management. A shared consensus by all. The old way of running the team is gone. Do not dwell on it. It doesn't make sense. Instead, focus on the actions the team has shown so far. A most revealing truth to change it's venue toward another direction of winning. 

It's great and all that Grigson learned how to be a GM after 5 years finally. The problem is that Luck is 4 years older than when he got drafted and the team is almost in the same state as 2012. Now we are going to have to pay Luck, and we will almost be solely depending on the draft, with a team where a lot of our top guys are very young and still somewhat unproven. They could grow together with some draftees we get in the next couple years, or we could go down in flames and be the worst team in the division in 2 to 3 years. Option B shouldn't even be an option and it's why people on here and I, too some extent, are so upset. We should be going on a SB run this year, and instead, it's back to a mini rebuild 5 years in.

41 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It's great and all that Grigson learned how to be a GM after 5 years finally. The problem is that Luck is 4 years older than when he got drafted and the team is almost in the same state as 2012. Now we are going to have to pay Luck, and we will almost be solely depending on the draft, with a team where a lot of our top guys are very young and still somewhat unproven. They could grow together with some draftees we get in the next couple years, or we could go down in flames and be the worst team in the division in 2 to 3 years. Option B shouldn't even be an option and it's why people on here and I, too some extent, are so upset. We should be going on a SB run this year, and instead, it's back to a mini rebuild 5 years in.

I read ya, JC. Why Irsay retained Grigson will not be revealed for some time. But the fact of the matter, he did. Whatever swayed Jim to do that is between himself & Grigson. Nothing we can do about it. However, judging from his directives as Owner of the team so far certainly contains some kind of positive in his mind. I tend to think that his roll as GM has changed going forward. What that is has yet to be seen. 

Irsay has made some wide sweeping changes that include a new coaching staff, draft mentality, and the ensuing challenge to get younger & stronger. That's pretty big issues that needed to be addressed and were implemented. 

The proof will be the upcoming seasons ahead as to how correct he is concerning the future of the Colts organization. We'll see. One thing that I've really noticed is that this new mentality has not been seen on such a large scale before. I hope it works out on an extended basis of winning consistently without relying on any one single position except QB. New England and several upper echelon teams seem to have made that switch quite a bit ago. It's played out very well for them over the years. If the Colts are now engaged with that line of NFL systematic play, that's a good and necessary change for contention every year. 

I don't have the issue so many do.  

QB: Luck

RB: Gore (draft a 3rd-5th for backup

WR: Hilton, Montcief, Dorsett

TE: Allen, Doyle

LT: A.C.

LG: Mewhort

C: God please get Kelly or Martin

RG: Plug Tretola here?

RT: Good (have Reitz play filler)

DE Langford (have Anderson roam the line giving breaks,...let teams deal with him all over the line)

NT: Parry (maybe a pick to split time with)

DT Jones 

OLB: Mathis

ILB : D.Q.

ILB: Moore/Irving (hope one shines soon)

OLB :Walden (another draft pick here for depth)

CB: Davis

Smith   (Brown to push smith)

Butler

S: Adams

Geathers

ST: Adam V.

Pat M.

Matt O.

Personally Injuries hurt last years defense.  This is why depth is important.  Our D-line was devastated, and our secondary dealt with guys in and out all year...rarely did we have all the starters on the field at the same time.  Toler gone is a benefit.  the only real F.A. move i was looking for was a corner to rep.....maybe a RG also.

Indy has brought ppl in and talked with them,..even extended offers, just other teams have outbid Indy.  The brass has to knuckle down since Luck's contract is the main priority...(and slightly ticks me off they haven't ironed out the deal yet and got it over with...that is my biggest concern.)

On 3/9/2016 at 2:55 PM, COLTS449 said:

Wouldn't it have made more sense to have cut DQ, Cole, Dre, Werner, and Jones. And have 50 million in cap room and sign Janorris Jenkins, Jeff Allen, and Stefen Wisniewski????? Wouldn't that make sense? Wouldn't that make us drastically better? Its like Grigson doesn't care if we're Super Bowl contenders this year.

This is sarcasm right?

4 hours ago, esmort said:

A lot of jobs make $1 - $3 million (the avg NFL GM salary) with many making much more. I would guess there are many reasons they don't take those jobs ... "if they could they would" is completely false (it's a silly illogical cliche that people like to overuse on the forums) not everyone wants to be an NFL GM even if they are a fan that has the ability.  Not to mention that the NFL hiring process doesn't usually work that way ... they work more off of a "put in your time" promote from within the industry model. 

I feel like there are a lot of fans who really believe this and they could not be more wrong. 

Its highly disrespectful to anyone who has put in the kind of time Ryan Grigson has scouting players to suggest there are fans out there who could do better. I wish there could be an experiment in which we could see how it would actually play out in the real world, that way we could see how the fan reacts when he find out its not as simple as deciding.... "I wanna sign Olivier Vernon", or whoever it is the fan wants.

I'm not saying he's perfect by any means and he has made quite a few mistakes, but he hasn't been bad by any measure. And anyone who suggest that has highly unrealistic expectations. Bill Polian is in the HOF and is widely regarded as an all time great GM, and he was also awarded Manning with his first pick. It took him much longer to build a team that could reach the AFC title game than it took Grigson and his drafts were not as good. If you don't believe me go look them up. After 2003 they were exceptionally poor, IMO.

There are two consistent things I notice among Grigsons critics. 

1. They never have a suggestion as to who the Colts could get that would do better. 

2. They aren't aware of the teams actual history and how much this group of Colts has accomplished in 4 short years. It is not easy to do what they have done. Stop suggesting it is.

Have some respect for the team. They aren't nearly as dissapointing as you make them sound. We haven't made the SB yet. If you thought we would you are flat out nuts and need to respect how hard it is to do it. Nobody masters their craft in just 4 years, which is exactly how much experience our GM, coach and franchise Qb have. The last Colts team had Manning for 14 years and they won 1 title out of only 2 opportunities. And it took them awhile. Its pretty hard. 

On 3/8/2016 at 3:50 PM, COLTS449 said:

Whatever the plan is. If there is one. Its pathetic. Its unreal to me. I mean. Its this simple. We could sign a good G, C, and CB and have a good draft and we'd be one of the best teams in the NFL. Or we can not do anything and maybe make the playoffs but not be a SB contender. I mean this is why Grigson should have been fired. Who'd worried about 5 years from now when we have Andrew Luck? Grigson should be focused on fielding the best team he can every offseason instead of not signing a good player because it COULD hurt us in a few years.

I knew this was going happen as soon as Irsay said he was retaining Grigson and Pagano. So we're going fall into mederacty as long as we have this regime I'm in place I'm sorry to say. 

5 hours ago, get an 0-line said:

every season we should be ready to be sb contenders, if we build for the future by the time that gets here key players and high draft picks have moved on to the highest bidder, the future is now the next season we play , and we should be ready for it. we cant put players in the bank for the future they move on, grigs be ready to take it all the way each season

This is the NFL, not your dream. Any long time fan of any NFL team knows there are ups and downs. Every year is different and every season has changes that can go either good or bad. NFL teams are not built on an x-box or playstation in your living room. Even HOF coaches and GMs have been fired more than once in the past and that is not gonna stop. There is not such a thing as a perfect team, owner, coach or GM. For you to expect that is not reality.

12 hours ago, corgi said:

You should probably accept the fact that others have differing opinions than you. There's a reason that only a handful of people are NFL GM's. It's way more complex than you believe.

That's not the reason.  It's not a career path that is easily found....or even thought of by 99.9% of the population.

10 hours ago, corgi said:

Maybe I'm not as upset as a lot of you because I'm married, have a kid, have a career, do pro wrestling on the side...but no matter your situation calm down. It's a game that has no effect on your day to day life. If the Colts are trash for the next decade your life will be exactly the same. I refuse to get bent out of shape over free agency, the draft, wins or loses, or the Colts in general.

Please tell me the pro wrestling part is true......

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

So I'm guessing no moves until April. I gotta say that I really like this radically different approach. I even like how they're making guys restructure instead of out right waiving them.

Jep. I also fully expect Colts to pick up some players after the draft to fill whatever holes we have by then. You can get lucky and get quality for a low price, like with Adams. There is no doubt that we will have to do a bit of that during the summer, so it is waaay to early to panic. No doubt we are looking for bargains only right now though. I like that!

13 hours ago, corgi said:

Maybe I'm not as upset as a lot of you because I'm married, have a kid, have a career, do pro wrestling on the side...but no matter your situation calm down. It's a game that has no effect on your day to day life. If the Colts are trash for the next decade your life will be exactly the same. I refuse to get bent out of shape over free agency, the draft, wins or loses, or the Colts in general

Fan is short for Fanatic.

fa·nat·ic
fəˈnadik/
noun
noun: fanatic; plural noun: fanatics
  1. 1.
    a person filled with excessive and single-minded zeal, especially for an extreme religious or political cause.

You are in a forum with Fans yet you described yourself as is a casual observer.

9 hours ago, jaybird95 said:

This is sarcasm right?

Nope. Why? Getting rid of older guys that aren't that good and bringing in young impact players wouldn't have been a good thing? Having a good O-Line isn't a good thing? Or a dominant CB duo?

Remember last year when the Colts should have signed Suh and Revis, and the Dolphins and Jets were going to (finally) knock the Pats off their AFC East pedestal because they "got better" during FA while the Pats "got worse"?  Because those guys automatically make your team a contender...

Dolphins and Jets were still in the basement looking up to the Pats, who were quiet during FA.

Same thing will happen this year.  The Texans, Titans, and Jags will be in the basement again, looking up to the Colts, even though they all "got better" during FA while the Colts "got worse"...

15 hours ago, corgi said:

As I have said for years if your football team is the worst thing in your life consider yourself lucky because you have a good life.

21 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Remember last year when the Colts should have signed Suh and Revis, and the Dolphins and Jets were going to (finally) knock the Pats off their AFC East pedestal because they "got better" during FA while the Pats "got worse"?  Because those guys automatically make your team a contender...

Dolphins and Jets were still in the basement looking up to the Pats, who were quiet during FA.

Same thing will happen this year.  The Texans, Titans, and Jags will be in the basement again, looking up to the Colts, even though they all "got better" during FA while the Colts "got worse"...

Well, the Titans and Jags may prove to have good quarterback play.  That's really the difference in the teams you mentioned.

Just now, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Just like the Jets and Dolphins were hoping to get good QB play out of their high draft pick starting QBs last year?

The Dolphins yes.  I don't know who thought the jets were going to get top level QB play.

but that isn't my point.  The problem isn't whether you use or don't use free agency. It's whether you have a quarterback.  

Just now, BOTT said:

The Dolphins yes.  I don't know who thought the jets were going to get top level QB play.

but that isn't my point.  The problem isn't whether you use or don't use free agency. It's whether you have a quarterback.  

Then I think we agree.  We will still have the best QB in the division, no matter how FA shakes out.  Then it just comes down to injuries and coaches not making mistakes.

Just now, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Then I think we agree.  We will still have the best QB in the division, no matter how FA shakes out.  Then it just comes down to injuries and coaches not making mistakes.

We do.  I have stated I think the Colts, with a healthy Luck and Chud as OC, win the division.  I'm worried about the defense come playoff time, but I wasn't expecting to fix their pass rushing I'll through free agency anyway.

4 hours ago, Mr Clueless said:

Jep. I also fully expect Colts to pick up some players after the draft to fill whatever holes we have by then. You can get lucky and get quality for a low price, like with Adams. There is no doubt that we will have to do a bit of that during the summer, so it is waaay to early to panic. No doubt we are looking for bargains only right now though. I like that!

Exactly. Value depreciates over time. If Heyward is still around in April, he'll be dirt cheap.

12 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

I feel like there are a lot of fans who really believe this and they could not be more wrong. 

They believe it because it is true.  NFL GM is not one of top most complex jobs in the world, not even close.

Its highly disrespectful to anyone who has put in the kind of time Ryan Grigson has scouting players to suggest there are fans out there who could do better. I wish there could be an experiment in which we could see how it would actually play out in the real world, that way we could see how the fan reacts when he find out its not as simple as deciding.... "I wanna sign Olivier Vernon", or whoever it is the fan wants.

I could care less about disrespecting Grigson ... but I would also like to see an experiment like that; because i think if given access to the same resources there would be a lot of people do equally as well or better than many current GMs.

I'm not saying he's perfect by any means and he has made quite a few mistakes, but he hasn't been bad by any measure. And anyone who suggest that has highly unrealistic expectations. Bill Polian is in the HOF and is widely regarded as an all time great GM, and he was also awarded Manning with his first pick. It took him much longer to build a team that could reach the AFC title game than it took Grigson and his drafts were not as good. If you don't believe me go look them up. After 2003 they were exceptionally poor, IMO.

There are two consistent things I notice among Grigsons critics. 

1. They never have a suggestion as to who the Colts could get that would do better. 

I am sure there have been suggestions made (not going to go search the posts), but unlike coaches who are known by many fans, the executives within the various organizations aren't as well known and their actual duties within that role often aren't available to fans, so it is much harder for a fan to know the options.

2. They aren't aware of the teams actual history and how much this group of Colts has accomplished in 4 short years. It is not easy to do what they have done. Stop suggesting it is.

Most fans are aware of what the Colts have accomplished since Grigson has arrived ,,, they are also aware that he walked into an elite QB in one of the worst divisions in the NFL and that instead of having a team that should be rebuilt and ready to contend for the SB for the next several years we wasted Luck's rookie contract and now are once again on a "mini/partial rebuild". Much do to Grigson's incompetence. 

Have some respect for the team. They aren't nearly as dissapointing as you make them sound. We haven't made the SB yet. If you thought we would you are flat out nuts and need to respect how hard it is to do it. Nobody masters their craft in just 4 years, which is exactly how much experience our GM, coach and franchise Qb have. The last Colts team had Manning for 14 years and they won 1 title out of only 2 opportunities. And it took them awhile. Its pretty hard. 

I don't expect him to have mastered it, but competent would be good.  The Colts with Manning underachieved; I would hate for them to make similar mistakes with Luck's career but seems like that's the track we may be on. 

3 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Nope. Why? Getting rid of older guys that aren't that good and bringing in young impact players wouldn't have been a good thing? Having a good O-Line isn't a good thing? Or a dominant CB duo?

When it gets to the point where actually start believing that you know better than the GM,  that you know which players are better and how much talent is available in Free Agency and how much in the draft....   when you really think you know more than the GM --- then you just need to STOP and get a grip.

You don't.     I don't.     Superman doesn't.   Dustin doesn't.    No one here does.

It's one thing to talk a little smack,  it's another to literally think you know more.....

That's one internet habit to break..........

Just saying.....

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

When it gets to the point where actually start believing that you know better than the GM,  that you know which players are better and how much talent is available in Free Agency and how much in the draft....   when you really think you know more than the GM --- then you just need to STOP and get a grip.

You don't.     I don't.     Superman doesn't.   Dustin doesn't.    No one here does.

It's one thing to talk a little smack,  it's another to literally think you know more.....

That's one internet habit to break..........

Just saying.....

Out of "likes" but this one deserves 10!

6 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Because this is some Madden level managing lol

15 minutes ago, jaybird95 said:

Because this is some Madden level managing lol

Not really. If we had made those cuts, we would have had plenty of cap room to sign some good players. We could have anyway, but those cuts would have given us 50 mill.

16 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Man, this doom and gloom sky is falling attitude is fandom gone wild. I guess it's par for the coarse with the none stop whine fest.

I see what you're saying but I look at it like this....It's the same-old, same-old.  That said, you can't expect any different results next season.  Maybe we'll be wrong and maybe the new coaching staff will make all the difference in the world.  Who knows, but it certainly seems like quite a roll of the dice when we don't take available FA's that fit the budget and position needs.  

Grigson specifically mentioned the fact that he is very intrigued that teams can trade compensatory draft picks starting next year. I guess I should have listened better then and not have gotten my hopes up in this free agency period. Grigson has a contract that lasts until 2019 and he wants to steer away from free agency this year in an effort to gain those picks and create long term growth.. Free agency is boom or bust anyway and it has been bust for us recently. Signing a corner like Janoris Jenkins or a guard like Alex Boone may seem great now, but really hurt a team if they end up not playing well. I'm just going to let it play out.

23 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It's not about Grigson doing the job as well as You, I or anyone on these forums, so to everyone who is mentioning that, cut it out. It's about Grigson doing a better job than 31 other GM's in the league.

Oh I get that, but that was not the point of the poster I was responding to.  He was saying that there are "armchair GMs" that could do as good a job as Grigson, that is what I am saying is ridiculous.