Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Irsay, Grigson had “heated conversation” in locker room

chad hugo

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly I've had time to sleep on it and this is what I believe to be the best option going forward.  Irsay should just accept that short of a miracle Grigson and Pagano will be gone next season.  So bring them in and tell them that.  Tell them either yall come together and save your jobs or I will make a change and my change will be both of you not one.  See if they can come together on something before they leave so you can see how functional this team really can be.  This team is divided right now it is very apparent.  See if Grigs will let Chuck have some control and see if he can bring the offense together with Chud.  Of course this all bases off Grigson and his ability to drop his pride for a bit which is most likely not going to happen...

That or drop Pep bring in Chud.  If nothing happens before the bye start dismantling the team piece by piece I guess...

Just to put it into perspective: The Colts are currently 3-4 with games against the Panthers, Broncos, Steelers, and Falcons coming up. And a Miami team that has beaten us before.

It is very possible we are watching an 8-8 or 7-9 Colts team. The Jags and the Texans sit at 2-5, and make it so that the Colts are no lock to win the division.

I imagine this was part of the heated exchange. The Colts are in real danger of either sitting at home in January or going into January with a losing record. I'm sure the other part of the exchange was about all these guys given 6 figure contracts in the off-season, only to not be producing or being under used. Plus the injuries have really exposed the lack of depth on the team. And I think Irsay is starting to see the real Grigson.

Chud is the guy Chuck wanted Griggs brought in pep... so with that being said who's really to blame ?

I'm blaming the playcalling on pep..Grigson should only stay because of his cap handling honestly but I severely think he needs this power he has to be taken away as in his own personnel over coaches that are suppose to be under the Head coaches.

Chud is a very good playcaller and he is paganos guy..Grigson shouldn't have this much power he's acting like he's in Ne handling much more than he should. He's not a coach and if he was in sure he would've been fired ASAP only thing he has going for him is a way to keep us out of cap hell

I may be uninformed or not seeing the entire picture.  I too have heard that Chuck wanted Chud as OC and Grigson installed Pep.  Big mistake IMO.  Why in the world is Grigson deciding the OC?  Rather than focusing in on Pep as OC, he should have been reviewing the roster and focusing on that.  I'm not a fan of Grigson and honestly haven't been since the day he was hired.  I don't see where he's done a lot that warrants him being some genius of a GM.  He selected Luck, big shock who wouldn't have?  Everyone knew coming in to this season that the offensive line needed work and the defense needed upgraded and we draft a WR in the 1st round.  I remember when they announced the pick just sitting and shaking my head.  I don't care how fast the guy is.  Aside from the one TD catch, he's been pretty much invisible to me so far.  Now, he's hurt for 4-6 weeks.  I know that you cannot do anything about injuries.  But the WR's were fairly deep the way it was and we blow a 1st rounder on yet another WR.   

Luck's now been injured due to the hits he's been absorbing.  The offensive line looks like swiss cheese most of the time, pair that with Pep's play calling with the 5-7 step drops and just wow.  It may just be an observation of mine but in watching the games, once Luck gets a couple of completions to TY, he seems to lock in on him regardless of the coverage.  Maybe this is due to the other receivers just not getting separation, maybe it's just Luck trying to go to his money guy.  It looks to me that Luck's throwing motion has changed a bit and I'm not 100% that he's still not hurt to some degree.  On another note, we have 153 total rushing attempts compared to 286 passing attempts, craziness.  Frank Gore had 9 carries against the Saints...9???  He was averaging 4.8 a carry and gets 9 carries?  I thought the idea was to get balance and use the run?

I heard Deion Sanders on the Thursday night game say that if the Colts do not get this thing straightened out, the same situation that is going on in San Francisco right now is Indy's future.  He went on to say that Chuck needed to be retained.  Personally, I don't think that Chuck is the problem.  I think there are questions for certain.  Personally, I'd like to see Chuck get a shot with Chud as OC, and personnel decisions being made that address the issues with the team.  Grigson packing the brown box and departing the facility would make my entire day.  If a new GM were brought in and Chuck got the personnel he needed along with being able to decide his own staff and still failed to produce, then it would be time for Chuck to follow Grigson into the sunset.  I for one am glad to finally hear of some fire and passion out of Irsay. 

Sorry, I didn't mean to be a jerk about it....

And I'm sure you do indeed know more.....

There's just no way Irsay could be happy now. Prior to the season the talk was trying to reach the Super Bowl. Now, it's hoping to win the division so we make the playoffs. Those worlds are light years apart.

Irsay has got to be going crazy..... I'm expecting something in the next two weeks. I don't think he can hold his powder dry until the end of the season.

You're fine NCF and I 100% agree. I think saying Irsay is ticked off is the understatement of the year. Heads might be rolling before the end of the year.

I am surprised it took this long before Irsay snapped.  This was the year the Irsay went all in because of Luck's looming contract and we just came off a AFCCG.  It was Super Bowl or bust for this team and Irsay spent the money to bring in Gore, Cole, and Johnson to bolster the roster.  Now we sit at 3-4, Cole and Johnson are non existent, and we are hoping for a 8-8 at best with this team.  He is watching his millions just go down the drain.

I do expect some kind of change if we lose against the Panthers and Broncos going into the bye week.  I expect Pep to be gone then, but depending on how we lose to the Panthers/Broncos I could see Pagano getting the axe as well.

Grigs is not long for this team either.  

We should just clean house now. It's very ugly here. Luck is taking on the energy of this organization. It's kinda like how u don't want negative people around u bcuz that energy weighs on u. Luck can't perform under all of this. People don't like to do this midseason but there are excuses to situations sometimes. Look at Miami. Used their bye week and got it right. We own Houston and we don't even put a spanking on them like that! We need to just clean house now. It's way 2 ugly to win. It's 2 ugly for anybody to coach, own, or play under this kinda energy.

We should just clean house now. It's very ugly here. Luck is taking on the energy of this organization. It's kinda like how u don't want negative people around u bcuz that energy weighs on u. Luck can't perform under all of this. People don't like to do this midseason but there are excuses to situations sometimes. Look at Miami. Used their bye week and got it right. We own Houston and we don't even put a spanking on them like that! We need to just clean house now. It's way 2 ugly to win. It's 2 ugly for anybody to coach, own, or play under this kinda energy.

Miami fired Philbin. They did not "clean house" in the middle of the season. I can't think of a time that has ever happened.

I understand Irsay is the boss and the boss doesn't get fired but he's played a roll in this too with the talk about the Super Bowl or bust season and saying he wants at least two rings with Luck. He's putting a lot of pressure on people. I liked it more when he was just quiet behind the scenes.

He should be putting pressure on people.

Especially the way this season has gone. I'd be more concerned if he wasn't setting those type of expectations.

The reporting sounds very very generic. No details etc...I imagine the whole staff has heard of Irsay's displeasure....and I very much doubt there is much arguing going on back and forth between the Owner and anyone. Honestly I'm pretty well done with this.  Either they get things turned around in the next couple weeks or some changes will be made...and if the season doesn't see a big turn around I imagine Grigson AND Pagano are gone.  No coach (big name) is going to come in here if the guy they are working for is on the hot seat because any gm/coach are generally tied at the hip. The next GM would want to hire his own guy and so the new coach would be out too. At this point I think its pretty clear there will be big changes at the end of the year...and without some other guys oc/dc etc going soon that is the inevitable end....perhaps some smaller changes could be enough to change our course and MAYBE save someone Grigs or Pags their job....MAYBE.

Irsay leads a Happy Family.
 But when the fans aren`t happy they boo...maybe leave. And now, for good reason.
  Irsay has to fix it and you start by chewing ___.
 After all the FA Million$, and the Great Hope Andrew going downhill, Irsay has to get it right.
  The penalties on the O-Line Must stop NOW would be a good thing to start yelling about!

So what I don't get is, if this was a heated exchange/conversation, that means Grigson was yelling back at Irsay!? Yea, that's not good. Yelling at your boss and a man who is close to twice your age (Grigson is a young boy in comparison).

Not that it matters, but Irsay is 56, and Grigson is 43. 

These type of "heated conversations" probably happen more frequently than we know.  In a competitive locker room after a disappointing loss to a subpar opponent it's quite natural for players, coaches, GM's and Owners to be edgy.  This flair up could be a sign of things bad things to come for Griggs, Pags, and staff or much to do about nothing.

These type of "heated conversations" probably happen more frequently than we know.  In a competitive locker room after a disappointing loss to a subpar opponent it's quite natural for players, coaches, GM's and Owners to be edgy.  This flair up could be a sign of things bad things to come for Griggs, Pags, and staff or much to do about nothing.

I was thinking the same thing.  Sports reporters are getting more and more like gossip columnists

Fan the drama

Grigson needs knocked down a notch. He should not be meddling in coaching issues. Pags appears to be a man who has lost control of his assistants and Grigson has overstepped his bounds and Pagano has been hamstrung by that. Time for Irsay to: Re-define Grissom's role and probably go with a new coach. Pagano has stepped in his own doo with the special teams atrocities this year. The family is in dysfunction. Time for Irsay to take control and start over with the staff. Keep Grigson away from the coaches and let them do their jobs. Grigson should be put on notice that he needs to stop blowing first round picks and signing free agents from the social security line.

At issue imo is the fact that Irsay has given RG almost free will to do whatever he can to improve the team, spending $100's of millions, and I cannot honesty say this team is that much better, talent wise, than the 2012 or 2013 teams.

Which is inexcusable.

IDK about $100's of millions, the contracts have been easy to get out of but wasted money is wasted money regardless.

Talent wise the team is better than previous years, though not by much. Although it's been very minimal the team has upgraded. Just not nearly enough.

Good grief, this isn't cleveland. Get a grip on reality.

...we'd use plastic.

At least Cleveland have made despair and snatching defeat from the jaws of victory an art form. To think I was kinda interested in the Browns before I really settled on an team because I thought the uniforms were kinda cool looking. Heck if I'd bought a Browns Jersey I'd probably of had my shot at QB there already.