Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pep's GamePlan

Smonroe

Pretty dismal for three quarters IMHO. When your line is greeting gashed you can't keep calling plays that take so long to develop. The 3rd and 3 where he apparently called a long pass and Luck got stuffed raised my BP about 50 points.

The Titans weren't passing the ball so well because of our lack of pass rush. Mainly it was a lot of quick short passes.

We have that game In our playbook because we used it in the 4th, almost too late. I'm not saying abandon the long ball, but there's nothing wrong with a five yard gain on a pass play.

Opinions!

Pretty dismal for three quarters IMHO. When your line is greeting gashed you can't keep calling plays that take so long to develop. The 3rd and 3 where he apparently called a long pass and Luck got stuffed raised my BP about 50 points.

The Titans weren't passing the ball so well because of our lack of pass rush. Mainly it was a lot of quick short passes.

We have that game In our playbook because we used it in the 4th, almost too late. I'm not saying abandon the long ball, but there's nothing wrong with a five yard gain on a pass play.

Opinions!

Feast or famine. Arians offense 2.0. The 4th quarter have me a small sliver of hope but not much as the game plans have been consistently bad this year.

Will somebody tell me why Pep's so much worse this year than last? I mean I've never been a fan of him, but he was better last year.

Was he? It's still to early to evaluate the seasons but I think it's more of the same.

Grigson refuses to address the Oline and Pep refuses to acknowledge that we can't keep running plays that take so long to develop.

I know I'm simplifying it, but bottom line, that's it.

Was he? It's still to early to evaluate the seasons but I think it's more of the same.

Grigson refuses to address the Oline and Pep refuses to acknowledge that we can't keep running plays that take so long to develop.

I know I'm simplifying it, but bottom line, that's it.

Pretty much correct though. Pep can't adjust a game plan in light that his protection scheme won't afford him 5 seconds for downfield routes to open up. We should start out games with dink and dunk and establish rhythm and then start challenging with the deep pass. Pep is an * and whoever is allowing these flawed game plans needs cut at seasons end of not before. If you don't have impact over the online personell and they are bad, game plan around it, that's why you get paid Pep. Adjust to difficulties not keep plugging in a system that doesn't fit the personell.

Opinions!

I've been posting about this for two years.  Our gaudy offensive numbers come from charging from behind because we start so poorly.  So our offensive proficiency/stats are a sham.  The only reason Pep is still here is because we overcome the adversity and poor planning to pull out miracle wins.  Personally I like the guy but professionally he's lost and can't figure it out on his own.  Chuck being a defensive guy can't seem to help him solve it and I don't know what Chud does and so the beat goes on....The best offensive play call all day was the full back play action pass late in the game.  That's how scheme creates opportunity.  Other than that we rely totally on playmaking to generate offense in the passing game.  In fairness, some props should be given to the run game today....6.1 yrd per carry for Gore is no joke!  Bravo there!  It's also fairly obvious this passing game is more effective with Dorsett versus Johnson.

Opinions!

Crazy part is that last drive where we threw that flat route to Doyle 2 times, that was the most comfortable I've seen Luck all year. The I-Form and all back under center he seemed comfortable in that. Maybe the shotgun isn't for Luck

Maybe we should do a OC trade midseason. Kubiak for Pep. Cause Peyton in that offense is a bad look

Pretty much correct though. Pep can't adjust a game plan in light that his protection scheme won't afford him 5 seconds for downfield routes to open up. We should start out games with dink and dunk and establish rhythm and then start challenging with the deep pass. Pep is an * and whoever is allowing these flawed game plans needs cut at seasons end of not before. If you don't have impact over the online personell and they are bad, game plan around it, that's why you get paid Pep. Adjust to difficulties not keep plugging in a system that doesn't fit the personell.

lol I always say this..we need uptempo short dinks and dunks with gore running uptempo.. Once the score is up start the long developing plays that Hilton and dorsett can feast on

Crazy part is that last drive where we threw that flat route to Doyle 2 times, that was the most comfortable I've seen Luck all year. The I-Form and all back under center he seemed comfortable in that. Maybe the shotgun isn't for Luck

Maybe we should do a OC trade midseason. Kubiak for Pep. Cause Peyton in that offense is a bad look

Those short plays draw the D in and let TY, Crief, and Dorsett get open long.  

Run, dink, dunk, run, rinse, repeat... 

Pep needs to realize this is not college. In College all you need to do is win the LOS and win the explosive play battle and you're guaranteed to win about 80% of the time.. Statistically proven

Why is it so hard to change our playcalling? I'm looking at a lot of other teams are adept at hitting 2-3 yard balls and letting their WR get 5-6 yards on dink and dunk type.. I'm not a football expert by any means, but a short passing game is almost as effective as a dominating run game as far as getting teams to cheat up a bit on defense. 

Opinions!

I watched the play where Luck got stuffed and if it's the one I am thinking of Luck looked to throw and no one was open.  He made the wise call to pull the ball down and not risk the turnover.  With that said later in the game he was panicking a little too much and trying to hard which lead to two picks.  I think the biggest thing holding back the offense right now is the o-line, it's hard to run any offense when your QB is being hit almost every play from the snap.

As for the Titans there were several times Mariota had all day to throw.  Also, most of the game the Colts weren't even getting in the backfield and the Titans were in the backfield as soon as the ball was snapped.  The Titans owned the line most of the game on both sides.  Still I think the main problem on defense was having to play the zone defense that was getting picked apart.  Getting the corners healthy should help that as they should be able to go back to man-to-man defense which will also let them go back to blitzing a little more which should help put pressure on the QB.  Still the fact that the Colts only consistent pass rush coming form the linebacker spot is coming from Robert Mathis is the defense's version of the o-line.  The Colts have to improve that as well. 

I'm not saying abandon the long ball, but there's nothing wrong with a five yard gain on a pass play.

Opinions!

Exactly. The Patroits can go all the way with some dink and dunk, but Pep either wants a run or a long yard ball. Those five yard gains keep our offensive longer on the field to keep our defense rested and fresh. I like it.

Opinions!

I think Pep was holding the gameplan upside down until the 4th quarter.

Edited by HungarianColtsFan

I thought it was pretty telling when we needed to burn clock late in the game, with about 4 to 5 minutes to go and we just threw a pass to Jack Doyle, they panned to the sidelines and Pagano went up to Pep and pointed to the clock and told Pep we need to burn clock.  Next play went to Gore for a big run.  Then subsequent play went right back to Doyle through the air (once pagano walked away).

What I really liked was Luck actually tried to get Fleener 6 times. I'd like to see more. Besides the run game our TE's need to be a big part of the game plan every week. Their should NOT be ANY 0 targets games to Fleener and Allen. Get them involved (yes even if Doyle is in for Allen, Doyle can catch and even stretch the field a bit). Hilton, Moncrief, Dorsett can get into the game from their

I just dont get why he waits so long to throw short passes to TEs. Im starting to see why we dont throw many screens, we just arent good @ them. But we seem to be able to Y banana pretty well. New Jack City finally got some looks and he ran like a beast.

I like Dwayne Allen personally, but I just don't see whats special about him as a player. And he always seems to be hurt. Maybe Pep is using him wrong

Reviewing the game on DVR, I noticed something interesting. If you watch carefully, at the end of the third quarter Pep is fanning himself with the play card. As he fans it back and forth, you'll see a look of total surprise come across his face as he discovers that there are some actual short passing game plays on the other side of that card! And the rest is history!

Feast or famine. Arians offense 2.0. The 4th quarter have me a small sliver of hope but not much as the game plans have been consistently bad this year.

Bruce Arians runs and play calls the Air Coryell vertical attack so far much better than Pep could ever hope for.  Lucks 3rd down % was incredible under Arians.  Exceptionally dismal under Pep.  I'm also disappointed Gore did not get 20 touches or get 100 yards rushing.  We have had 1 RB get >100 yards in just over 3 years.

Bruce Arians runs and play calls the Air Coryell vertical attack so far much better than Pep could ever hope for.  Lucks 3rd down % was incredible under Arians.  Exceptionally dismal under Pep.  I'm also disappointed Gore did not get 20 touches or get 100 yards rushing.  We have had 1 RB get >100 yards in just over 3 years.

Everyone said that Arians would get Luck killed in his offense, to those people, how does the grass look on this side?

Yes he does... I'm not arguing that.  I'm just saying Pep is using the same philosophy and its the same results except worse because Pep isn't close to the same coordinator Arian's is.   Both offenses are more of a boom or bust offense except Pep's just fails a ton more  :sip:

I've slowly noticed more and more, and Pep seems to be half brain dead.  So to face an all out blitz, we:

1. Run a screen pass
  2. Try to stretch the field
  3. Try a draw play

The one thing I don't see up there is EXACTLY what the Titans did on one of our all out blitzes.  My wife even said who is covering 17 and a half second later the ball is in 17's hands and he is heading up the field for 7 yard game.  We had six coming down on Mariota, and he just lofts it over the top to a receiver right behind our blitz.

The screen pass against an all out blitz is just going to have 2-3 defenders unblocked hands in the air to knock the pass down.

To me, if we're going to take pressure off our QB, we have to give him dump off options against a blitz.  That usually leaves 4-5 yards ahead of the receiver to be gained towards the next first down.  When we started using Doyle for that, it worked.

The other thing is running a stacked formation and running it 6-10 times in a series.  i get that we want to run.  But GOOD teams tend to have roughly 20 carries a game to their top back.  We had given the ball to Gore 10 times in the first quarter.

I dunno, the more I watch this season, the more it seems to slip away.  Luck is not given any underneath options and we're simply trying to stretch the field.

And I may get bashed, but our offensive line doesn't look THAT bad.  They're not good by any means, but when you're facing a 6 man plus blitz, you have to have quick options to get the ball out.  Waiting for a long ball to develop?  Not gonna happen.  A screen against an all out blitz is more likely going to be a batted ball.

We seem to tell the defense what we're doing with our formations about half the time, and it's painful to watch.

Short passes just past the offensive line in the middle of the field.  Have a guy stretch the D on one side, and guy on intermediate route on the other, and a guy guy underneath.  If we send everyone deep, Luck is going to be done.  One guy deep makes some sense, but to have no option underneath on the other side of the blitz...

I've slowly noticed more and more, and Pep seems to be half brain dead.  So to face an all out blitz, we:

1. Run a screen pass
  3. Try a draw play

The one thing I don't see up there is EXACTLY what the Titans did on one of our all out blitzes.  My wife even said who is covering 17 and a half second later the ball is in 17's hands and he is heading up the field for 7 yard game.  We had six coming down on Mariota, and he just lofts it over the top to a receiver right behind our blitz.

The screen pass against an all out blitz is just going to have 2-3 defenders unblocked hands in the air to knock the pass down.

To me, if we're going to take pressure off our QB, we have to give him dump off options against a blitz.  That usually leaves 4-5 yards ahead of the receiver to be gained towards the next first down.  When we started using Doyle for that, it worked.

The other thing is running a stacked formation and running it 6-10 times in a series.  i get that we want to run.  But GOOD teams tend to have roughly 20 carries a game to their top back.  We had given the ball to Gore 10 times in the first quarter.

I dunno, the more I watch this season, the more it seems to slip away.  Luck is not given any underneath options and we're simply trying to stretch the field.

And I may get bashed, but our offensive line doesn't look THAT bad.  They're not good by any means, but when you're facing a 6 man plus blitz, you have to have quick options to get the ball out.  Waiting for a long ball to develop?  Not gonna happen.  A screen against an all out blitz is more likely going to be a batted ball.

We seem to tell the defense what we're doing with our formations about half the time, and it's painful to watch.

Short passes just past the offensive line in the middle of the field.  Have a guy stretch the D on one side, and guy on intermediate route on the other, and a guy guy underneath.  If we send everyone deep, Luck is going to be done.  One guy deep makes some sense, but to have no option underneath on the other side of the blitz...

All those plays in Pep's book would have a chance to be successful if the Oline wasn't routinely getting beat.  I agree, they weren't THAT bad, but they weren't able to protect Luck for THAT long.  Yet Pep insisted on running plays that took that long.

Again, I'm not saying abandon the long ball, just work up to it.  Draw the D in, wear them out with the short game.  It seems like the good teams can do it.

I hate to site the Patriots for anything - yet they seem to have no problem running that offense with interchangeable O linemen and, except for their all world TE, a bunch on non descript skill players surrounding Brady.  I'm pretty sure we could run that offense as least as good as they do.

1. Run a screen pass
  3. Try a draw play

No, you're right about our OL.  The OL is no a big, powerful line that can just man-handle DLs.  They need help from the OC by keeping defenses off balance with imaginative play calls.  Pep can be so predictable that the defense can dictate and get our OL on their heels.  This when the OL is at its worst.

The TEs caught 9 balls yesterday so Pep made some adjustments. But we got into one of those offensive funks in  2nd and 3rd Quarters.  In Pep's defense, we had defensive problems in these quarters when our defense could not get off the field and that put pressure on Pep and Andrew.  Andrew is guilty of trying to do too much in these situations.

No, you're right about our OL.  The OL is no a big, powerful line that can just man-handle DLs.  They need help from the OC by keeping defenses off balance with imaginative play calls.  Pep can be so predictable that the defense can dictate and get our OL on their heels.  This when the OL is at its worst.

The TEs caught 9 balls yesterday so Pep made some adjustments. But we got into one of those offensive funks in  2nd and 3rd Quarters.  In Pep's defense, we had defensive problems in these quarters when our defense could not get off the field and that put pressure on Pep and Andrew.  Andrew is guilty of trying to do too much in these situations.

I honestly think our defense can be pretty darned good... IF we maintain possession of the ball on offense.  They noted the time of possession at one point to favor the Titans by DOUBLE.  Initially our defense was making key stops.  As the game wore on and we went three and out or turned it over, the Titans started dominating the clock.

If our offense gets on track and simply moves the chains, I think our defense is actually a LOT better than anyone is giving them credit for.  They simply need time to recover during offensive possessions.

I honestly think our defense can be pretty darned good... IF we maintain possession of the ball on offense.  They noted the time of possession at one point to favor the Titans by DOUBLE.  Initially our defense was making key stops.  As the game wore on and we went three and out or turned it over, the Titans started dominating the clock.

If our offense gets on track and simply moves the chains, I think our defense is actually a LOT better than anyone is giving them credit for.  They simply need time to recover during offensive possessions.

Agreed - the Colts have not played complimentary football for long stretches.  Few defenses can withstand being on the field for 10-12 mins during on quarter. I can't remember what the exact TOP was in the 3rd quarter.  When we have stretches like that, I would like to see Pep go to ball control, get some 1st downs - throw the ball into the flats and underneath, take 4, 5 yards gains on 1st down.

I believe Pep needs to start Hilton, Moncrief, and Dorsett at wide receivers. I only think Johnson should be used for 3rd and short or goal line.  The TEs need to be used more and keep running Gore.  How long has been since the Colts ran 6.1 yards per carry.  If this offense can play every quarter like the 4th quarter against the Titans, this team could go on a long run.  May not beat the Patriots, but may make the game a lot more enjoyable.