Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pep's GamePlan

Smonroe

What I really liked was Luck actually tried to get Fleener 6 times. I'd like to see more. Besides the run game our TE's need to be a big part of the game plan every week. Their should NOT be ANY 0 targets games to Fleener and Allen. Get them involved (yes even if Doyle is in for Allen, Doyle can catch and even stretch the field a bit). Hilton, Moncrief, Dorsett can get into the game from their

Grigson probably instructed Pep not to throw to TEs so they have down seasons and he can resign both.

Grigson probably instructed Pep not to throw to TEs so they have down seasons and he can resign both.

Funny thing is, when we were down heading into the 4th, I made a similar comment about Andrew Luck.  It was tongue in cheek, but basically something like, he keeps playing like this for the rest of the season, it makes you wonder what Irsay would say to his agent if he came in and was askign for #1 QB pay...

I've slowly noticed more and more, and Pep seems to be half brain dead.  So to face an all out blitz, we:

1. Run a screen pass
  2. Try to stretch the field
  3. Try a draw play

The one thing I don't see up there is EXACTLY what the Titans did on one of our all out blitzes.  My wife even said who is covering 17 and a half second later the ball is in 17's hands and he is heading up the field for 7 yard game.  We had six coming down on Mariota, and he just lofts it over the top to a receiver right behind our blitz.

The screen pass against an all out blitz is just going to have 2-3 defenders unblocked hands in the air to knock the pass down.

To me, if we're going to take pressure off our QB, we have to give him dump off options against a blitz.  That usually leaves 4-5 yards ahead of the receiver to be gained towards the next first down.  When we started using Doyle for that, it worked.

The other thing is running a stacked formation and running it 6-10 times in a series.  i get that we want to run.  But GOOD teams tend to have roughly 20 carries a game to their top back.  We had given the ball to Gore 10 times in the first quarter.

I dunno, the more I watch this season, the more it seems to slip away.  Luck is not given any underneath options and we're simply trying to stretch the field.

And I may get bashed, but our offensive line doesn't look THAT bad.  They're not good by any means, but when you're facing a 6 man plus blitz, you have to have quick options to get the ball out.  Waiting for a long ball to develop?  Not gonna happen.  A screen against an all out blitz is more likely going to be a batted ball.

We seem to tell the defense what we're doing with our formations about half the time, and it's painful to watch.

Short passes just past the offensive line in the middle of the field.  Have a guy stretch the D on one side, and guy on intermediate route on the other, and a guy guy underneath.  If we send everyone deep, Luck is going to be done.  One guy deep makes some sense, but to have no option underneath on the other side of the blitz...

So well said. 

Honestly, all you have to do is watch what New England did to Buffalo one week after the Bills blitzkreiged the Colts to death. Unlike Pep's approach, which was to continue to run deep routes or predictable screens/draws, the Patriots short passed them to death and kicked the Bills six ways to Sunday. The blitz was ineffective because the Pats exploited it all day. Three games in and Pep still hasn't adjusted. Pep Hamilton is in over his head as a NFL Offensive Coordinator, and  is a huge, huge part of the Colts' current struggles.