Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vinatieri has no plans to retire

grmasterb

We can't waste a draft pick on a Kicker this year when we only have 5 and maybe even 4 (there's an offchance that we don't get our 6th rounder) picks. Resign him to a 1 year contract and we can draft a Kicker next year with the 7th rounder we got from the Ceaser Rayford trade or even a 6th rounder since we'll have a full slate of picks.

I'd be perfectly fine with him staying. He had a great year this year, but I wouldn't want to handle him with more than with rolling 1 year contracts from now on.

I can see him retiring next season if we make the conference title game or even the SB.

Absolutely not. He went after the money, can't blame him for that, but his accomplishments in his 10 years in NE are far greater than those of his 8 years in Indy. 

;) 

743.gif

So says the pats fan lol. j/k

I'll give you the whole kicking in the snow thing....pretty clutch. But if he stays here two more years, he'll be with both teams for a decade. Pretty impressive. 

Why would the Colts not sign him? He hit 87.5% of his FG this year, including 4 of 6 from greater than 50 yards.  Sign and UDFA kicker after the draft in case AV has lost his leg in the offseason but he is showing no indication of doing that.

To the poster who mentioned loyalty?  The Colts are his 2nd team and the NFL is a business he does not need to show any loyalty to the team outside of preparing himself as best as he can to perform the job he is supposed to perform.

Absolutely not. He went after the money, can't blame him for that, but his accomplishments in his 10 years in NE are far greater than those of his 8 years in Indy. 

;)

I expect him to retire a patriot, although the constant booing every time he goes back to NE could hurt that and I wouldn't be surprised if he decides to retire a Colts

But to the main topic, I wouldn't mind bringing him back as long as he had more 2013 years in him and not 2012 years

743.gif

So says the pats fan lol. j/k

I'll give you the whole kicking in the snow thing....pretty clutch. But if he stays here two more years, he'll be with both teams for a decade. Pretty impressive. 

I actually don't know how that works... does the player decide? Is it based on number of years in whatever city? 

"Adam's not a kicker, he's a football player." 

Highest compliment from Hoodie there.  :thmup:

I expect him to retire a patriot, although the constant booing every time he goes back to NE could hurt that and I wouldn't be surprised if he decides to retire a Colts

But to the main topic, I wouldn't mind bringing him back as long as he had more 2013 years in him and not 2012 years

They're not booing, they're saying, "We miss YOUUUUUUU!"   ;)

Ah, seriously, same treatment everyone gets in Boston. Welker got it, Johnny Damon got it, etc. But the fans forgive, eventually. I'm sure the Patriots will honor him when he decides to hang 'em up. 

I hope he's re-signed.    He had one of his best years this past year,  even though some here apparently didn't notice.

I'd offer 2-years and $5mill total.    With $1 Mill upfront...

I'm not sure of my follow-up offer if he turns that down....

This is one of the many to watch....

I'd love to have him, but not for $3m/year. 

Yep, I have no problem with re-signing him but it shouldn't be for anything over a 1 yr. 2 mil.$ deal. If he wants more money and a longer contract, then I also have no problem with him going elsewhere. Kickers are pretty darn easy to replace. A new kicker won't have the same resume, but they all have to start somewhere.

Why should he retire? He's still one of the top kickers in the league, and 41 isn't all that old for a kicker. Matt Stover was 42 when he filled in for Vinatieri in 2009, Jan Stenerud retired at 42, Lou "The Toe" Groza retired at 43, and George Blanda was still kicking for the Raiders at 48 -- and he was also Ken Stabler's back-up QB! Let's face it, though, $3.4MM is pretty steep for a guy who only works 28 seconds per game.

I see a lot of "not for 3mil a year" comments. What other kicker would you want with a game on the line? Up the ante with a game ending kick and Super Bowl title on the line? How many titles would Brady have won without AV? IMO, Irsay`s not going to go down that road again with any other kicker than AV until he absolutely has to. Pay the man 

I see a lot of "not for 3mil a year" comments. What other kicker would you want with a game on the line? Up the ante with a game ending kick and Super Bowl title on the line? How many titles would Brady have won without AV? IMO, Irsay`s not going to go down that road again with any other kicker than AV until he absolutely has to. Pay the man

If a team falls into the trap of paying players for past performance then that team will soon be a bottom dweller. You pay players for what they provide you in the future and IMO AV don't provide much of a future. Like I said earlier, I have no problem with them bringing him back for another yr. at real close to 2 mil. but not much more at all. It's just too easy to replace kickers.

I see a lot of "not for 3mil a year" comments. What other kicker would you want with a game on the line? Up the ante with a game ending kick and Super Bowl title on the line? How many titles would Brady have won without AV? IMO, Irsay`s not going to go down that road again with any other kicker than AV until he absolutely has to. Pay the man 

3 million a year range is about right. in the grand scheme of things that's not much money for what he offers

@AdamSchefter: Colts free-agent-to-be 41-year-old kicker Adam Vinatieri said he has no plans to retire and is hoping to kick "two or three more years."

But will he continue to kick for the Colts?

@AdamSchefter: Colts free-agent-to-be 41-year-old kicker Adam Vinatieri said he has no plans to retire and is hoping to kick "two or three more years."

Of course he will

....He's a key to the team....and he can kick at least 2 or 3 more years

At a certain point, it's time to move on. For the money that can be saved, it's worth considering letting AV walk if he still wants to be paid a premium rate. And other kickers hit big kicks in big games; AV doesn't hold exclusive rights to making game winners.