Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lavon Brazill Suspended for First 4 Games

Andy

I dont see what everyone sees in Whalen. Hes small, short, slow, unathletic. I suppose hes heady and has good hands but other than that, not much upside like a NaPalm.

Whalen did more than Palmer did if my memory serves me right. And all this off-season Whalen has been the star on offense while Greg Toler has been the defensive spotlight

So that's what everyone sees in Whalen, the fact that he's making a name for himself. Yes it's just minicamp, but it's a start on the Coaches good side to see him performing well like he wants to be here and make this 53 roster

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with Brazils' mistake is that it does not appear to be his first if I am reading this right

"The punishment for a second violation of the league’s substance abuse policy is a four-game suspension without pay, which will cost Brazill $124,917.50. Due to privacy laws, neither the league nor team divulged the banned substance."

He is being suspended for 4 games so to me it is safe to assume that this is not his first time.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20130624/SPORTS03/306240082/Colts-WR-LaVon-Brazill-suspended-four-games-violating-NFL-s-substance-abuse-policy

Brazil is pushing it with this stuff. A fairly new player who has already cost himself $100k, plus a good possibility of being cut. Not smart at all!

The problem with Brazils' mistake is that it does not appear to be his first if I am reading this right

"The punishment for a second violation of the league’s substance abuse policy is a four-game suspension without pay, which will cost Brazill $124,917.50. Due to privacy laws, neither the league nor team divulged the banned substance."

He is being suspended for 4 games so to me it is safe to assume that this is not his first time.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20130624/SPORTS03/306240082/Colts-WR-LaVon-Brazill-suspended-four-games-violating-NFL-s-substance-abuse-policy

Brazil is pushing it with this stuff. A fairly new player who has already cost himself $100k, plus a good possibility of being cut. Not smart at all!

Ahh; interesting find there Mr. Krunk

Guess you really do learn something new everyday

Was just going to post the same question. I actually thought you got a 4 game suspension for e third offense? Regardless, 2nd or 3rd you shod of learned the first time. My guess is he like to go Ricky Williams and puff the cheeba. Do what you want, but there will be repracussions.

Didn't read the article, but did it say what he tested positive for? Is a 4 game suspension normal for a first time offense? Could he have tested for something prior that just never was made public? I'm not privy to how it works.

Dumb dumb decision.

Well according to the Indy Star a player doesn't get a 4 game suspension unless it's his 2nd time at least. So it sounds like he didn't learn his lesson for the first offense in my opinion. :woah: Could be bad news for him because I don't see Coach Pagano tolerating repeat offenders of things like this. JMO of course. ;)

Agreed krunk. A very costly & dumb move on Brazill's part, but this line bummed me out "Due to privacy laws, neither the league nor team divulged the banned substance." Shoot! Can we at least know how the substance was consumed...orally swallowed, smoked, or through a vein & what the side effects are...I am just curious I guess.

I suppose this affects Whalen's status but Whalen and Brazill are 2 different types of receivers...Whalen is more of a slot receiver and not an outside type...Brazill is a downfield speed threat and will need to be replaced.  Whalen was probably making the squad already as WR5, a slot receiver.

It should be a legit battle for the last WR roster spot among ALL the contenders.

I thought Colts players never got in trouble???  :scratch:

This just opens up the door for a guy like Whalen to take Brazil's spot.  

I am sure there would be more players on the Colts roster and in the NFL get busted for this if the NFL did some real testing, but honestly I am glad they do not because it is not that big of a deal to me.

I thuoght New England players never got in trouble until this season.

The only problem is that if Brazil, knowing he'd be tested for weed..smoked weed..anyway

or knowing PED's were illegal and knowing he'd be tested..thought he'd magically use them and get by anyway....

...I'm amazed how athletes think they wont be caught

I suppose this affects Whalen's status but Whalen and Brazill are 2 different types of receivers...Whalen is more of a slot receiver and not an outside type...Brazill is a downfield speed threat and will need to be replaced.  Whalen was probably making the squad already as WR5, a slot receiver.

It should be a legit battle for the last WR roster spot among ALL the contenders.

I think, when you get to the back end of the WR rotation, you're looking for the best players. You're not really worried about whether a guy is a slot receiver or better on the outside. You're trying to see who can contribute if necessary, who is going to put in work on special teams, etc.

Griff Whalen really forced his way into the conversation during preseason last year. He was super productive, and he looked like he knew what he was doing. The fact that he's familiar with the coordinator, the quarterback and the offense gives him a leg up on the other back end guys. So long as he's healthy and can hold his own on special teams, I think he's got a great chance at WR4 now.

Assuming we keep five receivers, that leaves one spot for five players to compete: Palmer, Sambrano, Rumble, Kelley, Sampson.

The only problem is that if Brazil, knowing he'd be tested for weed..smoked weed..anyway

or knowing PED's were illegal and knowing he'd be tested..thought he'd magically use them and get by anyway....

I look at it from a different angle: I think a lot of guys use and don't get caught. Whether it's PEDs (which is a vague term, and a topic that I think the NFL really needs to recalibrate on, but that's a different story), or marijuana, or whatever... I think a lot of people slip through the cracks.

again like you said you and i are entitled to our opinions but his actions reflect on the team and our image and his character doesnt seem much better after his twitter responses not saying he's not a good person but he's unprofessional and i dont like to see that on my team

I was actually unaware of the twitter foolishness... I don't think that the flippant remarks will help him one bit and they do seem pretty unprofessional. I'm still not willing to write him off though. He is young and immature. There isn't any doubt about that, but he has potential as a player and as a person. Maturity should come from working next to guys like Reggie and Dwayne Allen and being coached by Chuck.

I do think that he is on thin ice, especially given that he hasn't that shown much on the field yet. If he gets into trouble again and has to miss more games this year or next, then I will start weighing character issues against his potential and talent.

I hope that that the FO handles this right. If they immediately give him another chance with no real consequences it will invite future trouble from him and others. If they cut him, they will be making a strategic error as he is probably our 4th best receiver and could possibly be a solid #2 in the future (he's small, but physical). If they play their cards right, I think Brazill could be a viable stop gap this season if Hilton or DHB miss time after week 4. His speed and ST potential made him a lock for the 53 man roster before this and I expect the powers that be will do whatever puts us in the best position to win football games.

I am one of the few that think that LB is more than slightly better than Whalen, but there is a caveat (one that TK's earlier posts made me think of) and that is the Stanford playbook/terminology... I think that Whalen has a chance to do exploit his familiarity with the scheme enough to where he might be one of #12's best options early in the season when others might still be learning on the fly. When the rest of the offense catches up in that regard, then Whalen might see his snaps decrease i'd say.

EXACTLY<>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I think he is on the outside looking in now, Someone who had 11 catches in 15 games(even though none of them were starts) who got busted for substance abuse is extremely vulnerable. To me this blows the door WIDE open for a guy like Rodrick Rumble, Lanear Sampson, Rumble and possibly....just possibly Jeremy Kelley.....If he actually does what he hasn't done in any league yet.....produce

Me thinks it's pretty easy to use PEDS and not get caught.

To topic....a true shame.  I am like dgambill if it is adderall.  I also think that prescribed steroids for injury rehab should be allowed.  I know they helped me when I could barely move with an injury.

If it is something else....4 games hurts his chances, and it hurts the team continuity.  Luck was finding him often in workouts.  Whalen and Palmer are locks now in my observation, with a big 6'6" Kelley gettting his %....and EXTREMELY hard worker.  Guys and gals help me watch him on special teams in the preseason....he could be a monster.

The Colts don't need someone on the team with these kind of repeat stupidity issues. I hope we drop him like a rock now and not risk him going for a third and forth time while in a big contract. What if we had depended on him and had not picked up DHB? The Colts have always had too many classy guys set a tone for this team to have a guy of this type making the Colts look bad. Yes, his poor choice of tweets do paint a poor picture of him.

If he does get released i think it would be a longshot that he would make another roster again. Especially when you have a lot of proven good receivers who can't get a job. 

Im sure he would get another try out, Hes young, He does have talent and its substance abuse.....Im not condoning it but worse has gone on with players. You hope he grows up and to help speed that process along the team imposes some strict rules on that player until he shows he has grown up, If he does it again you send him out the door, Heck if the team wants then impose there own suspension on top of the 4 games but at the same time you dont just punish, you see if that player will accept help

Whalen, party of one, your table is ready.

By the way, I was just looking through combine/pro day stats, and it's really striking how Whalen's measurables in almost every respect are virtually identical to Collie's.  I'm talking 40 times, 10- and 20-yard splits, cone drill, shuttle (Collie had a bad 20 yard shuttle at the combine but his pro day was 1 hundreth off of Whalen's), bench (Collie had 2 better reps).  Collie was slightly taller but Whalen had a slightly better vertical, so their height+vertical was almost identical.  And if Whalen's player profile on the Colts site is accurate he's put on some weight and is closer to Collie in that regard too.  And a lot of the same strengths on the field, in terms of route running and good hands.