Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lavon Brazill Suspended for First 4 Games

Andy

Im sure he would get another try out, Hes young, He does have talent and its substance abuse.....Im not condoning it but worse has gone on with players. You hope he grows up and to help speed that process along the team imposes some strict rules on that player until he shows he has grown up, If he does it again you send him out the door, Heck if the team wants then impose there own suspension on top of the 4 games but at the same time you dont just punish, you see if that player will accept help

Yeah i know it is unlikely they will be that harsh to release him. And he is young and talented but there is a lot of people who are more talented who are free agents, granted they are a lot older but still makes me wonder. I know that the colts are a building team with a lot of young talent and wouldn't bite at the older free agents but there are a lot of teams which would.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whalen, party of one, your table is ready.

By the way, I was just looking through combine/pro day stats, and it's really striking how Whalen's measurables in almost every respect are virtually identical to Collie's.  I'm talking 40 times, 10- and 20-yard splits, cone drill, shuttle (Collie had a bad 20 yard shuttle at the combine but his pro day was 1 hundreth off of Whalen's), bench (Collie had 2 better reps).  Collie was slightly taller but Whalen had a slightly better vertical, so their height+vertical was almost identical.  And if Whalen's player profile on the Colts site is accurate he's put on some weight and is closer to Collie in that regard too.  And a lot of the same strengths on the field, in terms of route running and good hands.

Plus he was injured his first year, so there's that.

This IS sad, yet profitable for the other Colt receivers. he gained alot of positive feedback from the NFL, and Colts fans everywhere. He has a decent on-field resume', trade him for another solid rookie DB...for cheap, or a very late-round draft pick....and let Jeremy Kelley take that 4th spot behind Hilton...

We find out right now if there is zero tolerance in Colts camp....I would like to know what the drug (s) (is/are)

I would as well Brother ,We both really liked this guys potential,and disappointment has set in on this,but if this is something illicit,other than some things that were prescribed to him.I say let him go and move on.These kinda things are becoming more and more common and I don't mind saying that I hate seeing these kids squandering opportunities ! That most people only get to Dream of having!!!!

I dont see what everyone sees in Whalen. Hes small, short, slow, unathletic. I suppose hes heady and has good hands but other than that, not much upside like a NaPalm.

What they like is he seems to get open and he catches the football. Granted the exhibition games pitted him against players that were not first teamers , that and all the great training camp reports are all we have to go by. So until he shows that he can't do this against top NFL talent , it's hard to discount him. 

Also I think small and short is a little tough . He's not a big WR but isn't a short skinny guy as "small and short " would mean. Slow is also a little rough too. He's not particularly fast but not sure he's "slow." That said ...your right that he doesn't have the measurables of a lot of other guys but he just might be a very good No 4 NFL WR.

Whalen, party of one, your table is ready.

By the way, I was just looking through combine/pro day stats, and it's really striking how Whalen's measurables in almost every respect are virtually identical to Collie's.  I'm talking 40 times, 10- and 20-yard splits, cone drill, shuttle (Collie had a bad 20 yard shuttle at the combine but his pro day was 1 hundreth off of Whalen's), bench (Collie had 2 better reps).  Collie was slightly taller but Whalen had a slightly better vertical, so their height+vertical was almost identical.  And if Whalen's player profile on the Colts site is accurate he's put on some weight and is closer to Collie in that regard too.  And a lot of the same strengths on the field, in terms of route running and good hands.

I almost have to fight myself to keep from making the same comparison. Like Collie, Whalen seems to be a technician, which sort of makes up for his unimpressive speed.

The difference is that Collie was super productive in college, while Whalen only had one decent season, and that's while he was catching balls from the two-time Heisman runner up. Whalen also had injuries that limited his ability to stay on the field. He was never considered a high level prospect.

But in the small opportunity he had last preseason, he really made himself known. Good hands, good route-running, he's familiar with the coordinator and the quarterback. This is probably his best shot at earning a roster spot. I'm pulling for him.

dont judge him until you get the whole story.  

Well, the whole story is that he tested positive a second time. To me, that shows a lapse of judgement clearly, not learning from his mistakes since you are not suspended according to the new CBA till a second positive happens.

Well apparently the whole story is not good for LB.   Indy has moved his locker next to Wayne's.    The team has been disappointed in this kid for a while and he decides to skip the first part of OTA's.   Really?  a 6th round pick who is barely 4th or 5th on the depth chart?

He has not owned up to his actions, his tweets on the matter are childish. 

I think this guys time in Indy is come to an end.  I agree with Dakich on this one.

DD and P B Wilson on the issue.

http://www.1070thefan.com/podcast/Episodes.aspx?PID=2155

I almost have to fight myself to keep from making the same comparison. Like Collie, Whalen seems to be a technician, which sort of makes up for his unimpressive speed.

The difference is that Collie was super productive in college, while Whalen only had one decent season, and that's while he was catching balls from the two-time Heisman runner up. Whalen also had injuries that limited his ability to stay on the field. He was never considered a high level prospect.

But in the small opportunity he had last preseason, he really made himself known. Good hands, good route-running, he's familiar with the coordinator and the quarterback. This is probably his best shot at earning a roster spot. I'm pulling for him.

I think the Colts bring in another WR once cuts start happening.

Man, I was just telling this Raiders Fan the other day that his secondary is in for a battle with all the speed we have at WR then Brazill goes off and pulls this?

Smh, only Pagano & Grigson know what his future with this team holds

If we're bringing in another WR, if Grigson wants speed......I hope he picks up Skye Dawson from TCU :)

We have that in Lanear Sampson from Baylor, IMO. Plus, both Jeremy Kelley and Jabin Sambrano along with Whalen and Palmer are going to be fighting for the No.4 and No.5 spots. I just dont see Lavon Brazil outshining them for a spot.

5 WRs and 4 TEs is the direction I expect us to go in this offense.

Well, the whole story is that he tested positive a second time. To me, that shows a lapse of judgement clearly, not learning from his mistakes since you are not suspended according to the new CBA till a second positive happens.

Well apparently the whole story is not good for LB.   Indy has moved his locker next to Wayne's.    The team has been disappointed in this kid for a while and he decides to skip the first part of OTA's.   Really?  a 6th round pick who is barely 4th or 5th on the depth chart?

He has not owned up to his actions, his tweets on the matter are childish. 

I think this guys time in Indy is come to an end.  I agree with Dakich on this one.

DD and P B Wilson on the issue.

http://www.1070thefan.com/podcast/Episodes.aspx?PID=2155

the more i hear the more i agree.

what did he test positive for?  

But it looks like we won't get the whole story because of the right to privacy. If he wanted a better reaction better to be honest about what he did and at least show some remorse in his tweetings.

People say he's young, we all make mistakes, but this is his second time (thanks Krunk). If I made a error of this level TWICE in a profession where I have to be sober for want of a better word I'd be very happy to get off with a suspension.

No sympathy, and I'm someone who believes substances being illegal is not the way to deal with drugs!

I hope we just say goodbye to Brazill.  The team doesn't need this nonsense from their 6th rounder...we cannot rely upon him any more.  Just let the camp competition determine our 4 and 5 WR and move on with guys who are intelligent players on and off the field.

But it looks like we won't get the whole story because of the right to privacy. If he wanted a better reaction better to be honest about what he did and at least show some remorse in his tweetings.

People say he's young, we all make mistakes, but this is his second time (thanks Krunk). If I made a error of this level TWICE in a profession where I have to be sober for want of a better word I'd be very happy to get off with a suspension.

No sympathy, and I'm someone who believes substances being illegal is not the way to deal with drugs!

He didn't necessarily have to take something illegal. Recreational marijuana is legal in some states. Or he could have taken any number of over the counter stimulants that are banned by the league (like pseudoephedrine). A lot of "performance enhancers" are legal, but banned by the league, or banned in elevated amounts. So it's really not even about the legal aspect of it.

What it comes down to, for me, is that the league makes known what substances it tests for. You should do whatever it takes to stay away from those substances. I have philosophical differences with the way "performance enhancers" are vilified by sports and the media (for instance, what's the difference between taking Adderall for ADHD with a prescription, and taking it without one? Aren't the results the same in an athlete? Or what's the difference between blood doping and altitude training? Both result in highly elevated levels of red blood cells.) But pro athletes know the rules, and signed contracts agreeing to abide by them. So I'm not really sympathetic when someone gets disciplined for breaking them.

Ryan Grigson  "stay out of trouble, and do not become a distraction like Lavon Brazill."    

I just don't see this ending well for L Brazill.   Kid has talent but a peanut for a brain.

I fixed that for you.  I'm sure Grigson already new Brazill's suspension was forthcoming. 

He didn't necessarily have to take something illegal. Recreational marijuana is legal in some states. Or he could have taken any number of over the counter stimulants that are banned by the league (like pseudoephedrine). A lot of "performance enhancers" are legal, but banned by the league, or banned in elevated amounts. So it's really not even about the legal aspect of it.

What it comes down to, for me, is that the league makes known what substances it tests for. You should do whatever it takes to stay away from those substances. I have philosophical differences with the way "performance enhancers" are vilified by sports and the media (for instance, what's the difference between taking Adderall for ADHD with a prescription, and taking it without one? Aren't the results the same in an athlete? Or what's the difference between blood doping and altitude training? Both result in highly elevated levels of red blood cells.) But pro athletes know the rules, and signed contracts agreeing to abide by them. So I'm not really sympathetic when someone gets disciplined for breaking them.

Thank you for tidying up and making my point in a far more eloquent way, I just wanted to make it clear I wasn't condeming him for the actual offence or more accurately the offence I suspect he's been punished but for his stupidity at knowing the rules for the league and breaking them not once but twice. To then show no outward signs of remorse in this microscopic online media environment we live in compounded his stupidity.

All this too when your spot on the roster is not exactly secure.

The problem with Brazils' mistake is that it does not appear to be his first if I am reading this right

"The punishment for a second violation of the league’s substance abuse policy is a four-game suspension without pay, which will cost Brazill $124,917.50. Due to privacy laws, neither the league nor team divulged the banned substance."

He is being suspended for 4 games so to me it is safe to assume that this is not his first time.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20130624/SPORTS03/306240082/Colts-WR-LaVon-Brazill-suspended-four-games-violating-NFL-s-substance-abuse-policy

Brazil is pushing it with this stuff. A fairly new player who has already cost himself $100k, plus a good possibility of being cut. Not smart at all!

and here I am writing posts about how he shouldn't be judged based on one foolish mistake. I like Brazill's potential and make no judgements about him personally, but being an off-the-field liability is as bad as being injury prone.. worse when you consider the tough situation that it puts the coaches in and the rifts that thinking you are more important than the team can cause in the locker room..

I hope that he can get his head on straight and realize that playing football for a (very comfy) living is better than getting high... there will be plenty of time for that after retirement if that's what he's into.. If we do cut him, look for the Pats to sign him and make him a 1000 yd receiver, then cut him when he gets expensive and replace him with an over the hill primadonna.... how old will Anquan Boldin be after the 2015 season? Come to think of it, how old will :brady: be?

I don't think you handle every situation the same. Different players have different values and different situations, ages, circumstances will always dictate how we go about disciplining or moving forward on something like this....if he is doing all the right things...showing himself to be humble and contrite you may move forward with the guy if the upside is there....however...if he isn't doing ALL the right things....I've got no problems letting him walk. We don't need that influence in the locker room and he has done nothing on the field that can't be replaced so he is on thin ice if I was coach (which i'm not lol). I think it would come down to his attitude and completely on him whether he stays on the team.

I don't think you handle every situation the same. Different players have different values and different situations, ages, circumstances will always dictate how we go about disciplining or moving forward on something like this....if he is doing all the right things...showing himself to be humble and contrite you may move forward with the guy if the upside is there....however...if he isn't doing ALL the right things....I've got no problems letting him walk. We don't need that influence in the locker room and he has done nothing on the field that can't be replaced so he is on thin ice if I was coach (which i'm not lol). I think it would come down to his attitude and completely on him whether he stays on the team.

I'd just like to point out that teams don't usually release players because they get suspended for violating the substance abuse policy. I don't know why so many people are advocating holding the Colts to such a high standard in this case. It doesn't help Brazill's chances, but I think the calls to get rid of him on this basis (even considering his less than PR-friendly tweets) are overboard.

I don't know whether he's being humble and contrite with the team. I don't know when they found out about his violation. They might be super upset, and maybe this, along with other things, costs him a spot on the team. But I don't think the Colts are going to release Brazill simply because of this.

Ahh phooee! The "He's Young" plead is played out

I'll have you know I'm 19 and have never consumed alcohol or done any drugs. Yes, thats including medicine and all cause I don't take it haha

Apple juice & Colts football is my medicine haha

First of all, keep living...

Second, no one knows what Brazill took at this point. We're getting ahead of ourselves. (Something I just thought of, a player can be suspended for violating the policy without failing an actual test. Just playing devil's advocate.)

We have no remorse in cutting a legend like Peyton, yet we shout for leniency for a two bit rookie who broke the rules twice. Not for me sir, let the lad go and show disrespect at some other club.

Not the same scenario in the slightest however.

When Indy cut Manning this site suffered the worst earthquake in it's history.   

LB is just a guy, Manning was a legend.         No comparison.  

We have no remorse in cutting a legend like Peyton, yet we shout for leniency for a two bit rookie who broke the rules twice. Not for me sir, let the lad go and show disrespect at some other club.

I see what you're saying. I don't think the two situations can be measured fairly but I do get what you're saying. I do think that a guy who gets in trouble twice is just begging for discipline. Whether that discipline is getting released or some other form of punishment by the coach remains to be seen though I suppose.

I'd just like to point out that teams don't usually release players because they get suspended for violating the substance abuse policy. I don't know why so many people are advocating holding the Colts to such a high standard in this case. It doesn't help Brazill's chances, but I think the calls to get rid of him on this basis (even considering his less than PR-friendly tweets) are overboard.

I don't know whether he's being humble and contrite with the team. I don't know when they found out about his violation. They might be super upset, and maybe this, along with other things, costs him a spot on the team. But I don't think the Colts are going to release Brazill simply because of this.

I agree to an extent, we don't know what his attitude has been like with Grigson/Pagano, and I agree to say cut him for breaching the substance abuse policy without knowing the context of the offence is a bit knee jerk. However I would say that as we've inferred that this is his 2nd offence and that he may have been having attitude issues already when your the 4th WR at best on the depth chart it's a close to career suicide especially (and I know some of this is preseason feel good talk) if Whalen has been looking good. 

I wouldn't agree there was no remorse shown by the team, I think there was some genuine sorrow, especially from Irsay that Manning didn't start and finish as a Colt, but when opportunity comes knocking and you have some Luck to be in a optimum draft position in one of the most potentially most stacked drafts ever.  

I do however agree that LB can go for me, Raiders might be a good destination? :P