Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lavon Brazill Suspended for First 4 Games

Andy

That's what I was thinking too, but I did a little digging and couldn't substantiate this (and didn't want to spend anymore time looking so thought I would ask).

If that is correct, I still think he makes the team and knocks whoever the 5th WR is off the active roster once his suspension if over.

No sense in cutting him if he doesn't take up a roster spot. But it might be tough for him to reclaim his spot if someone else is performing. Brazill didn't exactly entrench himself in the rotation last season, either as a receiver or a returner.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No sense in cutting him if he doesn't take up a roster spot. But it might be tough for him to reclaim his spot if someone else is performing. Brazill didn't exactly entrench himself in the rotation last season, either as a receiver or a returner.

Fair enough, although he did have a couple of big plays (including the long TD catch against Detroit). He also made some very nice plays as gunner on ST--the ST impact for the bottom two WRs is a critical piece of them making the team. I think he has a lot of potential, but is by no means irreplaceable. If he is progressing this off-season as the optimist would expect, then I do really think he adds a dimension to the offense and ST units.   

Brazil has no shot at being the number one any time in the near future.

That goes without saying. I just didn't get your point about pointing out Whalen being more intelligent than Brazill. He's playing receiver, not applying to med school.

i say cut him no tolerance for that junk not because i want whalen to take #4 which i do but i wanna see good people as well as talented players wearing the horseshoe you have to be good on and off the field send him to one of the trash teams because people like that dont belong here

Fair enough, although he did have a couple of big plays (including the long TD catch against Detroit). He also made some very nice plays as gunner on ST--the ST impact for the bottom two WRs is a critical piece of them making the team. I think he has a lot of potential, but is by no means irreplaceable. If he is progressing this off-season as the optimist would expect, then I do really think he adds a dimension to the offense and ST units.   

Yeah, I had him penciled in at WR4. But if he's benched for the first month of the season, and WR4 and WR5 are playing well and contributing on special teams, I don't know if Brazill can just reclaim his spot. He'd have to have a really good camp and preseason to have a spot reserved for his return.

That goes without saying. I just didn't get your point about pointing out Whalen being more intelligent than Brazill. He's playing receiver, not applying to med school.

my point is, i doubt he will be getting suspended for smoking weed. I don't care how good a player is, if he is ineligible to play it means nothing.

Yeah, I had him penciled in at WR4. But if he's benched for the first month of the season, and WR4 and WR5 are playing well and contributing on special teams, I don't know if Brazill can just reclaim his spot. He'd have to have a really good camp and preseason to have a spot reserved for his return.

It is really about him turning his potential into actual performance during camp/preseason...which was always the case but even more crucial for him now. I'm rooting for him (probably based on liking his name and the possible delusion I have about his ability to be an explosive role player) but not holding my breath. Lots of bodies fighting for two WR spots...will be one of the positions to watch closely as they cut their way down to 53.

Just like the Justice Cunningham talk if he is placed on practice squad he would get snatched up quick and the same with Brazill, he proved his worth as a #4 last year and he too would be snatched up quick, I bet there was a few GM who once they see him suspended and or later when they hear he's suspended hope he get waived or placed on PS and would snatch him off waivers or PS instantly, so the talk of releasing him and or placed on practice squad that he would be lost for good so not realistic to even suggest. He made a boo boo and that does not make him an instant liability.....

Go Colts!!!!!

i say cut him no tolerance for that junk not because i want whalen to take #4 which i do but i wanna see good people as well as talented players wearing the horseshoe you have to be good on and off the field send him to one of the trash teams because people like that dont belong here

"no tolerance"? "junk"?.. I gotta think that you are being a bit harsh in your assessment of this kid's character. It is very possible that the kid just made a one-time stupid error in judgement. I do think that it was a stupid move to risk being suspended.. one that actually may have lost him a roster spot, but I see no evidence that he is a bad person here. You don't even know what he was suspended for using. I don't use drugs and wouldn't want my kids to, either, but if the kid was just relaxing with a doobie or something that doesn't disqualify him from being a good person.. no amount of drug use does that on its own, IMO. Whatever he did, it is definitely not worse than drinking and driving and i guarantee we all know "good people" who do that occasionally.

Sorry for the rant, you are entitled to your opinion, but your post reminded me of the type of thing my elementary school D.A.R.E. officer would say, and that guy turned out to be a very very bad person indeed.. (I'll spare you the disturbing details)

LB is a talented young receiver, a college graduate who has taken time from his life to do a bunch of charity appearances over the last year. I wish him all the best and I hope he has learned from this mistake and is ready to come back and represent The SHOE after week 4. Go Colts.

Not too impressed with his response on Twitter either.

Instead on seeming humble and apologetic... he makes comments like 'Only God can judge me', and 'I love hater'.

Bad attitude under the circumstances if you ask me.

He is a pretty good player though, slightly less explosive than Hilton but with better hands. However, I suspect that after Pagano's recent comments to his team, Brazill could be made an example of to send out a message that this behavior will not be tolerated. He is not indispensable after all.

I don't know what he tested positive for...hgh...steroids, marijuana, if its adderall and he has a prescription I'm not really big on the league suspending guys for that. I ran a pharmacy for 11 years and I saw 25-33% of kids from 10-24 on this drug for ADHD. Not saying I believed it was healthy or necessary for most but if its a legit issue it is really important for them to stay on it....

I'm pretty sure guys who are getting suspended for adderall are players who do NOT have a prescription.   I think if you have a prescription, you have to notify the league office in advance.    But if you do that, I believe you're cool with the league.

It's players who are taking it without league approval that are getting into trouble.

I don't know what LaVon was busted for.   But this is not good news for our off-season.    Perhaps it'll get the attention of any other young player who is considering doing something stupid.     We can only hope.....

Didn't read the article, but did it say what he tested positive for? Is a 4 game suspension normal for a first time offense? Could he have tested for something prior that just never was made public? I'm not privy to how it works.

Dumb dumb decision.

Instead on seeming humble and apologetic... he makes comments like 'Only God can judge me', and 'I love hater'.

He is a pretty good player though, slightly less explosive than Hilton but with better hands. However, I suspect that after Pagano's recent comments to his team, Brazill could be made an example of to send out a message that this behavior will not be tolerated. He is not indispensable after all.

Young and ignorant (not stupid, there's a difference). I agree, the mature thing to do was to own his mistake and state that he's learned from it.

I feel everyone deserves a chance to repent, repair, and retry, and no one should be used as an example. To me, that's almost as immature as making the mistake.

Yeah, those aren't exactly mature responses. On the flip side, let's say CP doesn't make an example out of him...what kind of message does that send to the team? Will they be glad to see their coach being lenient and forgiving or will they think that they can get away with things too? You're right, the guy isn't indispensable.

Didn't read the article, but did it say what he tested positive for? Is a 4 game suspension normal for a first time offense? Could he have tested for something prior that just never was made public? I'm not privy to how it works.

Dumb dumb decision.

Good question House. What exactly was in Brazil's bloodstream? An illegal PED or narcotic. Either way, it was not a wise decision, but there's a difference between taking a substance to promote healing vs say cocaine or heroine... 

Dumb dumb decision.

I do not believe that they are allowed to say what he was suspended for, unless the information is leaked. Also, I remember reading that a 4 game suspention is given after a second positive test.

What is Jim Irsay's protocol on substance abuse violations anyway? Zero tolerance? Immediate rehab? 3 strikes & you're out meaning off the roster? I don't know. I'm asking. This is new territory sadly for our franchise except for Mike Vanderjagt maybe...

Just like the Justice Cunningham talk if he is placed on practice squad he would get snatched up quick and the same with Brazill, he proved his worth as a #4 last year and he too would be snatched up quick, I bet there was a few GM who once they see him suspended and or later when they hear he's suspended hope he get waived or placed on PS and would snatch him off waivers or PS instantly, so the talk of releasing him and or placed on practice squad that he would be lost for good so not realistic to even suggest. He made a boo boo and that does not make him an instant liability.....

Go Colts!!!!!

I don't think Brazill is practice squad eligible. He was on the active roster more than 8 games last season.

I think he is on the outside looking in now, Someone who had 11 catches in 15 games(even though none of them were starts) who got busted for substance abuse is extremely vulnerable. To me this blows the door WIDE open for a guy like Rodrick Rumble, Lanear Sampson, Rumble and possibly....just possibly Jeremy Kelley.....If he actually does what he hasn't done in any league yet.....produce

Yeah, those aren't exactly mature responses. On the flip side, let's say CP doesn't make an example out of him...what kind of message does that send to the team? Will they be glad to see their coach being lenient and forgiving or will they think that they can get away with things too? You're right, the guy isn't indispensable.

who is CP ? Chris Polian is no longer with the Colts

who is CP ? Chris Polian is no longer with the Colts

Chuck Pagano of course

I think he is on the outside looking in now, Someone who had 11 catches in 15 games(even though none of them were starts) who got busted for substance abuse is extremely vulnerable. To me this blows the door WIDE open for a guy like Rodrick Rumble, Lanear Sampson, Rumble and possibly....just possibly Jeremy Kelley.....If he actually does what he hasn't done in any league yet.....produce

Unless he has major attitude/respect issues, I can't see the team releasing him. Not unless this suspension is for something really questionable, like hardcore street drugs. Assuming it's for something run-of-the-mill like Adderall or marijuana, he'll probably stay with the team through camp and his suspension. And then the team will make a decision on him at that point, depending on what the rest of the roster looks like.

Now, if he has a terrible camp and preseason, we might just get rid of him. But that doesn't seem likely.

"no tolerance"? "junk"?.. I gotta think that you are being a bit harsh in your assessment of this kid's character. It is very possible that the kid just made a one-time stupid error in judgement. I do think that it was a stupid move to risk being suspended.. one that actually may have lost him a roster spot, but I see no evidence that he is a bad person here. You don't even know what he was suspended for using. I don't use drugs and wouldn't want my kids to, either, but if the kid was just relaxing with a doobie or something that doesn't disqualify him from being a good person.. no amount of drug use does that on its own, IMO. Whatever he did, it is definitely not worse than drinking and driving and i guarantee we all know "good people" who do that occasionally.

Sorry for the rant, you are entitled to your opinion, but your post reminded me of the type of thing my elementary school D.A.R.E. officer would say, and that guy turned out to be a very very bad person indeed.. (I'll spare you the disturbing details)

LB is a talented young receiver, a college graduate who has taken time from his life to do a bunch of charity appearances over the last year. I wish him all the best and I hope he has learned from this mistake and is ready to come back and represent The SHOE after week 4. Go Colts.

again like you said you and i are entitled to our opinions but his actions reflect on the team and our image and his character doesnt seem much better after his twitter responses not saying he's not a good person but he's unprofessional and i dont like to see that on my team

Meh.

It's very possible that the team knew about Brazill's suspension before Pagano's recent comments about staying out of trouble. It's even likely. These substance abuse suspensions aren't usually done overnight. This has probably been in the works since before the minicamp. So it's not like Brazill went out and defied Pagano's instructions to stay out of trouble. If this were an arrest or altercation that took place since then, that would be a different story.

Griff Whalen or Nathan Palmer will be the #4, and unless Brazill impresses in practice, they might keep the #4 spot

Holding a spot for him would be the last thing I would do. He knew the rules. JMO  Next time he will surely think before doing something dumb.  Hope Whalen gets the 4th spot. :thmup:

I for one hope we keep him, he made catches in traffic and has wheels. I like what I saw from him. IMO, he is a better option than Whalen and Palmer

I tend to agree with that recommendation too. 1 serious infraction is hardly a pattern of lawbreaking behavior. I don't need an entire locker room of saints & choir boys personally. Brazill does have nice hands & good Special teams speed IMO... 

Hate to see a guy get in trouble, but when you do dumb things that is what happens. He knew the rules and did not play by them. Still think he will be on the roster after his time is up, JMO.

However, don't really think this is a big blow by any means. Many people who come before him in the receiving game... Wayne, Hilton, DHB, Fleener, Allen, Bradshaw. Whalen will be fine as our #4

Meh.

It's very possible that the team knew about Brazill's suspension before Pagano's recent comments about staying out of trouble. It's even likely. These substance abuse suspensions aren't usually done overnight. This has probably been in the works since before the minicamp. So it's not like Brazill went out and defied Pagano's instructions to stay out of trouble. If this were an arrest or altercation that took place since then, that would be a different story.

Yep, true. I was just playing Devil's advocate and offering food for thought. You're right, like another poster mentioned it may have been the second incident, so the coaching staff was probably more aware than we think.

Holding a spot for him would be the last thing I would do. He knew the rules. JMO  Next time he will surely think before doing something dumb.  Hope Whalen gets the 4th spot. :thmup:

I respect your position Susie Q. You are certainly entitled to believe whatever you want naturally. But, I would counter with this argument. TV broadcaster Al Michaels wasn't immediately fired upon his DWI conviction from NBC Studios & Sunday Night Football.

I'm sure NBC lawyers brief all their on air talent what their rights are & they remind them to keep their noses clean too before the season starts as well. No new broadcaster waltzed in & took his spot. Just food for thought...I am not picking on you. I promise. Just presenting a different point of view that's all. 

If teams released players for a first offense on this one , the Seahawks would have half a roster.