Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Which unit are you most looking forward to seeing this year?

jwilli69

For me, I can not wait to see how the oline has come together with the new additions, mixing some of the guys who were on IR last season and possibly a new member from the draft. After watching Manning make the oline look better than it was with a quick release, we have pretty much had a bad oline for years. Will we finally be able to protect luck and run the ball up the gut and get that 1 yard when needed? I'm excited to see this come together.

I would just have to say the defense as a whole. Think they have the potential to be very good. As far as the O-line, I don't think were done with it yet, whether we sign another free agent or draft a new guard.

this.. i think the defense, particularly the line has a chance to be really good. looking forward to not giving up 160 on the ground week in and week out

I'm can't wait to see the PAT team out there :P

But seriously, intrigued as to how the new look D will shape  up as a whole. I did think in parts last season the D played quite well, especially it seemed in pressure situations so with some of the additions I fancy them to be quite decent. 

Offensive play calling

And that defensive line!!!

Sorry Landry, Bethea, Butler, Davis, & Toler

I agree, the offensive play-calling will be the most intriguing aspect for me next year.

In terms of units, I want to see how ours TE's are utilized and how much versatility is asked of them.

I'm can't wait to see the PAT team out there :P

But seriously, intrigued as to how the new look D will shape  up as a whole. I did think in parts last season the D played quite well, especially it seemed in pressure situations so with some of the additions I fancy them to be quite decent. 

The D was better than their stats. It's like something clicked in the third Q of the Detroit game. From then on they gave up one TD in each of the last 4 games. Yes, they got shredded on the ground by both KC and in the first Texans game. But that 'bend don't break" attitude held fast.

The organization has made stopping the run a priority. If those moves pay off even marginally and last years trend continues, this could be a very good D. Maybe not elite, but surely good enough to keep us in games.

Can't Wait!

I don't think our offense will be very exciting. Everyone and their mom knows what we are gonna do, as Pep said, we'll be physical and run it down your throat and follow it up with play action and keep you on your toes. As it was at Stanford, Andrew Luck will bore you because he does everything so consistently in that offense. I'm more excited to see what we have on defense, as Pagano said, we couldn't be very exotic last year due to poor personel. He said with the new additions we can have alot more looks and exotic blitzes. It'll be exciting to see Cassius Vaughn on the bench, rightfully so, and some good to decent CB play. It'll be VERY exciting to see the first "smart" person to try and run a slant on LaRon Landy. It'll be exciting to see if Mathis can stay healthy and build on last year. He'll have the rush linebacker role and will get more opportunity. Last year up until he got injured he was averaging a sack a game for the first 5 or 6 games then he got hurt. If he can stay healthy this year, which he should have a better chance of with us having more of a rotation, he could put up big numbers. 

I agree, the offensive play-calling will be the most intriguing aspect for me next year.

In terms of units, I want to see how ours TE's are utilized and how much versatility is asked of them.

I'm not really worried about the TE's as I already know how they will be used. But Allen should be interesting to evaluate since Fleener is already familiar with the offense

It's a tie between our D-line and our DBs. I was scared for our D last year, but now we have a handful of new players who actually fit the role they are expected to play. I can't wait til the draft comes and goes so I can get to training camp and see our guys in action.

As far as blocking & receiving. Watched a lot of Stanford games & did some research on the WCO. Definitely the TE's are the main parts of the offense. So should be interesting this year

Watched quite a bit of Stanford myself due to the huge involvement we have had with them over the last few years... but I do not expect them to be used in exactly the same way. For instance, I can't see us using the Power O play with the 3 TEs and a Full Back. No College co-coordinator comes to the pros and installs the exact same playbook successfully, even if it is a 'pro-style' offense. And the WCO is a far too generic term to know exactly how we will utilize our TEs.

I am hoping we see a lot more Patriot-like offense where our TEs are used in many different ways, like lining up in the backfield, downfield blocking, deep routes, in the slot, out wide etc etc. I think the Patriots versatility is the reason they have been the best offense statistically over the last two seasons, and a lot of that is down to the TEs. I think Hernandez is arguably the most versatile TE in the league, and Allen is of the same mold.

I would like to hear New Colts Fan's opinion on this.

I would just have to say the defense as a whole. Think they have the potential to be very good. As far as the O-line, I don't think were done with it yet, whether we sign another free agent or draft a new guard.

Ive already said in many other topics I myself cannot wait on the D as a whole.When was the last time anyone wanted to see the Colts D play?

Ive already said in many other topics I myself cannot wait on the D as a whole.When was the last time anyone wanted to see the Colts D play?

+1

Yeah, I have always been a defense guy and for yrs. our defense has driven me crazy watching our small undersized guys get thrown around like rag dolls and embarrassed on a weekly basis. Thank God, we had the offense to overcome our defensive weaknesses. I openly campaigned for Pagano(as much as a person can do on a forum  :D) before we actually hired him. I knew once he was brought in that we would finally lose that "finesse" title the Colts have been saddled with for yrs. I can't wait to see a smashmouth defense and I believe we're finally going to have that this season.

+1

Yeah, I have always been a defense guy and for yrs. our defense has driven me crazy watching our small undersized guys get thrown around like rag dolls and embarrassed on a weekly basis. Thank God, we had the offense to overcome our defensive weaknesses. I openly campaigned for Pagano(as much as a person can do on a forum  :D) before we actually hired him. I knew once he was brought in that we would finally lose that "finesse" title the Colts have been saddled with for yrs. I can't wait to see a smashmouth defense and I believe we're finally going to have that this season.

+1

Yah watching all them missed tackles at the line for a loss or YAC from a receiver year in and year out drove me nuts.If it was 3rd and 25 you could almost guarantee opposing team would convert.Or even 3rd and 15 how many times did it happen was so sick to watch.

For the past few years I have been disappointed by the play of our secondary on passing plays.

It seemed like they would make an awful lot of tackles but AFTER the pass was completed.

Then last year we had a few bright spots...Darius Butler defending well and making some pics...Vonte Davis doing some shutdown corner work in a few games...even Cassius Vaughn making a few key plays.

I am looking forward to an improved secondary who can actually defend the pass and break up the plays instead of tackling the receiver after he catches the ball and moves the chains.

I'm just simply looking forward to some Colts football. We have playmakers everywhere for us to be looking forward to just curious how they ALL will gell as a unit. This year could go two ways, either really good(Another 10+ season with the unit jelling together) or really bad(Top half of the draft pick with the new guys taking a lil longer to gell and Luck having a Sophmore slump)..

Excited about our DL. No doubt they should be hard to move off the ball....can we generate a pass rush?? That will be a question. The secondary got a lot bigger and more physical...hoping for more press coverage. Sometimes I would rather a team get some big plays then methodically move it down the field 5-7yds at a time. Not that we want to give up big plays but dang its depressing.