Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mel Kiper expects the Colts to "win" the Draft.

Legend of Luck

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/story/_/id/23276976/2018-nfl-draft-preview-mel-kiper-todd-mcshay-answer-final-questions-prospects-rankings-mock-draft-picks

"9. Which team is going to 'win' the draft?

Kiper: My pick for the team we'll be talking about on Saturday night: The Colts, who have the No. 6 overall pick and three second-round picks, thanks to the Jets trading up and dealing two to Indianapolis. The Colts have a chance to grab four starters. Just don't reach for need, Chris Ballard. Take the best player available."

Let's go!!! Can't wait for tomorrow!!

• Like 4

Wow...just look at that hair back in the day....it certainly isn't the same now lol. Oh how time has changed. As far as winning the draft that is just impossible to say...at least not until after the season is over or some time has passed. I don't care much about that. I will say there are several teams that will be FORCES in this draft. Cleveland, Indy, Buffalo, and NE all have a bunch of draft capital and should really control the draft...and should in theory be in the best position to help their teams. One team that shouldn't win the draft I predict.....Houston Texans.....I don't think they even have a first or second round pick.....OUCH!!

34 minutes ago, Legend of Luck said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/story/_/id/23276976/2018-nfl-draft-preview-mel-kiper-todd-mcshay-answer-final-questions-prospects-rankings-mock-draft-picks

Kiper: My pick for the team we'll be talking about on Saturday night: The Colts, who have the No. 6 overall pick and three second-round picks, thanks to the Jets trading up and dealing two to Indianapolis. The Colts have a chance to grab four starters. Just don't reach for need, Chris Ballard. Take the best player available."

Mel Kiper....

• Like 1

I will say this for Mel Kiper, as well as Mike Mayock and all the draft "guru's", although I disagree with them more often than not, I do at least have some appreciation for the time they spend doing their analysis and projections. I used to watch the draft on ESPN each year, but, I've been watching it on the NFL Network the last few years. I just find Mayock's analysis and projections to be a little more spot on but I do occasionally flip back to ESPN, probably for the nestalgia of hearing that chime sound when the next pick is up.

• Like 2

The team that controls the draft is the Browns. Like it or not who they pick at #1 and #4 will dictate exactly how this draft will go. They also have 9 picks with 5 in the first two rounds. Somehow I don't think Dorsey is going to make the stupid picks the Browns have made in the past.

If the Colts do trade down it will depend on who goes 1-5.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Wow...just look at that hair back in the day....it certainly isn't the same now lol. Oh how time has changed. As far as winning the draft that is just impossible to say...at least not until after the season is over or some time has passed. I don't care much about that. I will say there are several teams that will be FORCES in this draft. Cleveland, Indy, Buffalo, and NE all have a bunch of draft capital and should really control the draft...and should in theory be in the best position to help their teams. One team that shouldn't win the draft I predict.....Houston Texans.....I don't think they even have a first or second round pick.....OUCH!!

Yeah, I believe that the Browns have a better chance at "winning" the draft considering where they pick and how many picks they have in the first 2 rounds.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

The team that controls the draft is the Browns. Like it or not who they pick at #1 and #4 will dictate exactly how this draft will go. They also have 9 picks with 5 in the first two rounds. Somehow I don't think Dorsey is going to make the stupid picks the Browns have made in the past.

If the Colts do trade down it will depend on who goes 1-5.

I agree with this 1000%.  I get the sense that the Browns' time as league doormat is just about to come to an end.  

They got Lucky with Watson getting hurt which gave them # 4 instead of #24 (or wherever they would have landed) and I think Dorsey will make the best of it.

• Like 2

The thing is no one knows who will 'win' this draft for at least a couple of years.

The draft can be graded after it is over but the bottom line is what these draft picks become down the road.

You take a team like the Colts, it's not too hard to find starters when the talent level is as low as what this team has at the present time.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jskinnz said:

I agree with this 1000%.  I get the sense that the Browns' time as league doormat is just about to come to an end.  

They got Lucky with Watson getting hurt which gave them # 4 instead of #24 (or wherever they would have landed) and I think Dorsey will make the best of it.

I totally agree. With the free agents they have already signed plus this draft even if they only hit on half of the draft picks they should be much improved. My only question I have is how Jackson is going to do as a head coach with the talent they should end up with.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Wow...just look at that hair back in the day....it certainly isn't the same now lol. 

Hey hey! Let's not be taking shots at the hair!

6 minutes ago, buccolts said:

I worry more about what his hair thinks.

I think the Colts will win the draft too!

1 hour ago, sracolts84 said:

I will say this for Mel Kiper, as well as Mike Mayock and all the draft "guru's", although I disagree with them more often than not, I do at least have some appreciation for the time they spend doing their analysis and projections. I used to watch the draft on ESPN each year, but, I've been watching it on the NFL Network the last few years. I just find Mayock's analysis and projections to be a little more spot on but I do occasionally flip back to ESPN, probably for the nestalgia of hearing that chime sound when the next pick is up.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Legend of Luck said:

I’m very excited for the draft ... and I know CB won’t make a bone head move like drafting a player like Dorsett in the first round. 

1 minute ago, TdungyW/12 said:

I’m very excited for the draft ... and I know CB won’t make a bone head move like drafting a player like Dorsett in the first round. 

Good one. So, if Grigson were alive today, who would our first round pick be?

Go......

2 hours ago, sracolts84 said:

That chime sound is a chorus hook from the song See You in September, performed by a few groups.  I'm most familiar with the Frankie Valli and Four Seasons version-

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I think what NYG does has the most direct bearing on what the Colts do. Broncos also. 

After hearing a report today from East Rutherford that Webb is feeling confident in his job, I’m feeling more certain Chubb won’t be there at 6. I was really hoping for him but Roquan Smith might be as an important part of what they need to do defensively, especially if going to a 4-3 can help guys like Basham, Sheard, etc get to the qb. Maybe they can find help in the second as well.

Sorry, Mel....    but no....     I would NOT expect the Colts to be the team that wins the draft.

That would be the Cleveland Browns....      they also have 9 picks...  and they have two in the first and three in the second...      more football fans will follow more what the Browns do than what the Colts do....

This draft is for the Browns to win or lose....      we might be the official runner-up,  but not the club house leader....

Sorry....   but no.

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry, Mel....    but no....     I would NOT expect the Colts to be the team that wins the draft.

That would be the Cleveland Browns....      they also have 9 picks...  and they have two in the first and three in the second...      more football fans will follow more what the Browns do than what the Colts do....

This draft is for the Browns to win or lose....      we might be the official runner-up,  but not the club house leader....

Sorry....   but no.

Maybe Kiper has more faith in Ballard than he does the Browns FO of making the right picks.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Maybe Kiper has more faith in Ballard than he does the Browns FO of making the right picks.

Maybe...    but I doubt it...

Dorsey has a very, very good reputation...   and he's got a longer track record than Ballard.

I think he just wanted to be different.     The previous question he answered by picking Cleveland.    He didn't want to give the Browns answer to back to back questions.    So, he threw the Colts a bone.    It looks silly to me...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Maybe...    but I doubt it...

Dorsey has a very, very good reputation...   and he's got a longer track record than Ballard.

I think he just wanted to be different.     The previous question he answered by picking Cleveland.    He didn't want to give the Browns answer to back to back questions.    So, he threw the Colts a bone.    It looks silly to me...

Could also be a question of what it took to get those draft picks.  Remember to get that #4 pick Cleveland had to pass on Deshaun Watson while we just moved down 3 spots.

On top of that, Cleveland had the pick that they traded to Houston because they passed up on Carson Wentz.

So in order to get to that spot the Cleveland Browns had to pass up on not one but 2 QB's who have looked good thus far.  

So if you are counting in what it took to aquire that, then Cleveland gave up a TON.  I also think it's intelligent to consider what was given up to get where they are.  Cleveland would much rather be with one mid first round pick with Carson Wentz on their roster or even Deshaun Watson on their roster then sitting here with 2 top 5 picks but no QB and hoping like heck that the QB they draft will finally be the one that will pan out.

In fact I would gather that if the eagles offered them Carson Wentz in exchange for ther #1 and #4 in this draft they would take that trade without much second thought.

• Like 1