Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

GM Candidates, including Jimmy Raye (merge)

ColtsStrong86

Pagano gets ONE more year to turn it around. Irsay's own words, Pagano is our coach for 2017 and that Irsay and the new GM, whomever it might be, will do a comprehensive review over the next at where the team is at and move forward from there.

Pagano is signed for 3 more years, but Irsay only said Pags is coach for 2017.   That is very telling and a lot of you guys seem to have missed this.  It's crystal clear that if the Colts don't make strides, Pagano is gone after this coming year.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I honestly feel like his mind is already made up with Raye. He says they will interview people but I would be surprised if they even interview anyone honestly.

That would not be a wise move. People become infatuated with "known names" instead of indicators of (proven) experience. This isn't the same as "he's been a GM and fired several times before". God help the Colts if they blow the GM choice again.

15 hours ago, azcolt said:

Now that Trump is President, maybe it's ok to be indelicate and ask, Was Raye a serious candidate for 49ers or the token minority interviewee?

Trump aside, why don't you do some research and educate yourself on Jimmy Raye before even raising this question? If you had I doubt you would have even asked this but then again maybe your the type of guy who still would have. 

Jimmy Raye volume 3 was head of scouting for the Chargers when they drafted Vincent Jackson Ladainain T.  among others. At this stage in the off season it would make sense to promote him and keep the ball rollin' as opposed to bringing someone in off the street who doesn't know/have a relationship with the scouting staff and has no idea where the break room is for cinnamon latte's ..........

7 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

He didn't have a lot of picks on defense and most weren't high..I think Geathers and Anderson are pretty good players picked in 3rd and 4th..Parry is decent for a 5th round pick as is Ridgeway for another 5th round pic morrison is a good run stopping 2 down linebacker for a 4th round pick who will get better..Many hate on T.J Green , but I like his raw talent Ill give him a few years before I judge him... I think he found nice players in Edwin Jackson and Jerrell Freeman out of nowhere..DQ has been a decent player, Butler and Adams were good signings..Art Jones got hurt, Toler was always hurt, same with Robinson..Landry was terrible for us, but made a pro bowl in Washington before we signed him..I think we can do better than Grigson, I'm fine with Raye..Raye was a part of the decision making on some loaded Chargers teams..If you are comparing Pagano and Grigson on who most deserved to be fired it's Pagano all day in my opinion..

The team clearly hates Grigson and his inability to effectively build a talented or deep roster while our best player was on his rookie deal is a tremendous failure. Don't see how Pagano is worse than that.

18 minutes ago, crunked said:

Jimmy Raye volume 3 was head of scouting for the Chargers when they drafted Vincent Jackson Ladainain T.  among others. At this stage in the off season it would make sense to promote him and keep the ball rollin' as opposed to bringing someone in off the street who doesn't know/have a relationship with the scouting staff and has no idea where the break room is for cinnamon latte's ..........

Was he scout when they got any good defensive players? :dunno: Because that's what we need.

7 minutes ago, VocableLoki said:

The team clearly hates Grigson and his inability to effectively build a talented or deep roster while our best player was on his rookie deal is a tremendous failure. Don't see how Pagano is worse than that.

Neither are good, but I have no idea how Pagano is still employed..

If grigson is going to be fired for his role as GM, how would you promote the guy he goes to before making decisions. Even if raye is a well liked guy in the building, especially compared to grigson I am not a believer in him. We need better results aquiring good talent and raye has been a part of the problem!!!!

11 minutes ago, life long said:

If grigson is going to be fired for his role as GM, how would you promote the guy he goes to before making decisions. Even if raye is a well liked guy in the building, especially compared to grigson I am not a believer in him. We need better results aquiring good talent and raye has been a part of the problem!!!!

Well Grigson himself has said that Raye was the furthest thing from a "Yes Man" to him and would often voice well-thought out  alternatives to Grigson's ideas.  Outside of that Raye was well respected in the NFL prior to being employed by the Colts...he cut his teeth in the Chargers organization.  His resume is actually more impressive than Grigson's was at the time of his hire.  He has actual front office experience not primarily scouting experience like Grigson did. Bruthas often have to be better to get a fair shake. 

Who knows what will happen next.  With how the offseason has gone, did anyone expect Grigson to be fired yesterday...  before Chuck?  

Maybe it's Raye.  Maybe not.  Even if it is, there is no guarantee he keeps Chuck.

3 hours ago, Luck is Good said:

I think it needs to be someone other than Jimmy Raye. You need to get an experienced GM who knows what he's doing. They blow the choice again and this team won't be sniffing SBs for a rather long time imo

Like who?  There aren't many of those available.

i am not saying Jim Raye is the guy I am just saying there aren't a lot of Bill Polian type GMs floating out there.  

The Colts need defense and Scott Pioli assembled a lot of that great KC defense. Seems like the biggest mistake he made was trading for Cassell. If Decosta isn't leaving Baltimore than Pioli should be the next candidate. The next GM has to be almost flawless because the division rivals are slowly getting better. Houston is a QB away and Tennessee's only flaw is that they can't beat the Colts and need receivers. Next guy needs to do what Dimitriff has done for the Falcons. Their roster has very few weaknesses.

7 hours ago, rockywoj said:

Pagano gets ONE more year to turn it around. Irsay's own words, Pagano is our coach for 2017 and that Irsay and the new GM, whomever it might be, will do a comprehensive review over the next at where the team is at and move forward from there.

Pagano is signed for 3 more years, but Irsay only said Pags is coach for 2017.   That is very telling and a lot of you guys seem to have missed this.  It's crystal clear that if the Colts don't make strides, Pagano is gone after this coming year.

And I'll bet that a big part of that is more than W-L record.  If the offense doesn't shorten up the patterns and Luck doesn't get coached into being less of a big chunk passer, then 2017 might be considered more of the same.

One thing to keep in mind is that Irsay seems to be pretty hands on deck with running the team, so any GM coming in has to accept the fact that Irsay will have an opinion on football matters and will interfere on the big decisions. You're NOT handled the keys to a kingdom here.

I get the sense that you might be on a longer line on some other teams, but on the other hand other owners run an even tighter ship than Irsay. So the point is, a big name GM has to fit the degree of control Irsay wants. Not all will fit that. 

1 hour ago, #12. said:

Schefter just now on ESPN:  declaring Raye the favorite is a mistake.  Everyone in the league wants this job, because of Luck.

He also said Chuck and Grigson were seeing a psychiatrist together.  Really.

Thank you, I was just about to post this.  The psychiatrist thing really surprised me!:eek:

31 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

The Colts need defense and Scott Pioli assembled a lot of that great KC defense. Seems like the biggest mistake he made was trading for Cassell. If Decosta isn't leaving Baltimore than Pioli should be the next candidate. The next GM has to be almost flawless because the division rivals are slowly getting better. Houston is a QB away and Tennessee's only flaw is that they can't beat the Colts and need receivers. Next guy needs to do what Dimitriff has done for the Falcons. Their roster has very few weaknesses.

Yeah I'd take Casiero from NE then Pioli from ATL George Paton from Minnesota

Just now, Colts_Fan12 said:

I'll take a big list of outside people lol as long as it's not in house I really won't care 

I just want someone who knows defensive talent. From what I've read, the big names the Chargers got when Raye was there were all offensive guys. Does that mean anything? Probably not but this is a big decision and I hope Irsay genuinely checks out other options. 

5 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

I just want someone who knows defensive talent. From what I've read, the big names the Chargers got when Raye was there were all offensive guys. Does that mean anything? Probably not but this is a big decision and I hope Irsay genuinely checks out other options. 

That's why Pioli and Paton are high on my list Pioli was with KC and Paton with Minn 2 great Ds