Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

GM Candidates, including Jimmy Raye (merge)

ColtsStrong86

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Yep, I don't think the overall record SHOULD be the main part of Pagano's grade as a coach, but this has been the case for the last 5 years. He's been feasting on weak division and then getting annihilated by the best teams in the league. Irsay himself used the 11-5 thing as a reason why Pagano and Grigson did good job just the other day on his press-conference. What makes us think that he's really evaluating Pagano on his performance vs the best, rather than his overall record? And if he hasn't done it before, what makes us think he will do it in the future?

I think Irsay's point about them going 11-5 was specific to the quick turnaround, and how unexpected and somewhat unprecedented it was. I don't think his point was that 11-5 is the standard. I think the standard is for Pagano to have the best year he's had as a coach, which is what Irsay said he expected.

And the Colts slayed a lot of giants in 2013, Pagano's first full year. Getting gashed by the Pats in the playoffs hurt, but they were still on the come at that point. He has some good stuff on his resume. Irsay simply acknowledged that, unlike some who act like Grigson and Pagano have been awful, and the Colts are somehow worse off because of them. To me, his comments are a reflection of a high standard, not a low one.

I do think Pagano will be evaluated on his performance, not just his W/L record, and I think Irsay has been doing that. I think that's what kept Irsay from giving him a long extension prior to 2015, and I think that after the team essentially went backward to 8-8, Irsay looked at Pagano's work without Luck and thought he could be the guy. Maybe more hoped he could be the guy? Either way, I don't think Irsay is a 'well, we went 11-5, that's good enough' kind of owner. He's proved to not be that kind of owner, IMO.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

I'm more reserved on the Seahawks options. They've had a glaring weakness for five years, just like the Colts -- they can't pass protect, Wilson gets sacked more than Luck, and they run a quicker offense than the Colts. 

None of that means that the Seahawks options can't put together a good OL, of course. 

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm more reserved on the Seahawks options. They've had a glaring weakness for five years, just like the Colts -- they can't pass protect, Wilson gets sacked more than Luck, and they run a quicker offense than the Colts. 

None of that means that the Seahawks options can't put together a good OL, of course. 

Maybe that's on Carroll. He was asked if they're going to get some o-line help this offseason and he said no. He's all about growth with current players. 

5 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Maybe that's on Carroll. He was asked if they're going to get some o-line help this offseason and he said no. He's all about growth with current players. 

He's head of football ops, so ultimately it is on him. But they've picked a few OL that didn't work out, which is somewhat a reflection of their scouting staff. 

30 minutes ago, Superman said:

Since the OL pieces are in place and we need the physicality on D that gives us a defensive identity, I'd think they'd be good for the job.

With the Seahawks, their D got so good that they had to keep the money invested in those few in the Legion of Boom and Wagner that they could not devote enough for the OL. It is a bridge we have yet to cross in terms of defensive talent. It could very well be that they learned the lessons of what not to do from "Schneider" too because Schneider may have had a big say in those final calls, we don't know.

Besides, for our young OL, I think future additions most likely may come from FA for leadership as opposed to from the draft, and that is slightly easier to evaluate than the draft.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

He's head of football ops, so ultimately it is on him. But they've picked a few OL that didn't work out, which is somewhat a reflection of their scouting staff. 

True. But we do have 3 solid starters, and Haeg and Clark showed some promise. So they would only have to add 1 piece, maybe 2.

13 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Since the OL pieces are in place and we need the physicality on D that gives us a defensive identity, I'd think they'd be good for the job.

With the Seahawks, their D got so good that they had to keep the money invested in those few in the Legion of Boom and Wagner that they could not devote enough for the OL. It is a bridge we have yet to cross in terms of defensive talent. It could very well be that they learned the lessons of what not to do from "Schneider" too because Schneider may have had a big say in those final calls, we don't know.

Besides, for our young OL, I think future additions most likely may come from FA for leadership as opposed to from the draft, and that is slightly easier to evaluate than the draft.

Yeah, I'm not gonna pin the Seahawks mistakes on two underlings. Just like I've been saying I don't think Jimmy Raye should be viewed as a Grigson clone, I'm not going to do that to these guys. But it is eyebrow raising...

I definitely like the names on the short list, so far. It's interesting that Marc Ross isn't on it, so far. He was a finalist with Grigson last time. 

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah, I'm not gonna pin the Seahawks mistakes on two underlings. Just like I've been saying I don't think Jimmy Raye should be viewed as a Grigson clone, I'm not going to do that to these guys. But it is eyebrow raising...

I definitely like the names on the short list, so far. It's interesting that Marc Ross isn't on it, so far. He was a finalist with Grigson last time. 

I think the Ross situation is similar to Decosta with Baltimore,. For whatever reason those guys just want to stick with their team even if it means passing up on promotions. Maybe I'm missing something, Maybe they are looking for a specific team but those guys have been general manager candidates for years now and I think probably for good reason.  Yet no one has been able to pluck them away. Ross was the guy I hope we signed in 2012.

5 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I think the Ross situation is similar to Decosta with Baltimore,. For whatever reason those guys just want to stick with their team even if it means passing up on promotions. Maybe I'm missing something, Maybe they are looking for a specific team but those guys have been general manager candidates for years now and I think probably for good reason.  Yet no one has been able to pluck them away. Ross was the guy I hope we signed in 2012.

As far as I understand, Ross has actually interviewed and been in consideration for jobs over the last five years, and I don't remember him saying he plans to stay in NY. DeCosta keeps declining interviews, and within the last year or so basically said he's staying in Baltimore, whether Ozzie leaves or not, because he loves it there and his family is happy.

According to this list, Marc Ross seems eager to leave: http://insidethepylon.com/nfl/front-office/2016/12/09/2017-nfl-general-manager-candidates/

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

As far as I understand, Ross has actually interviewed and been in consideration for jobs over the last five years, and I don't remember him saying he plans to stay in NY. DeCosta keeps declining interviews, and within the last year or so basically said he's staying in Baltimore, whether Ozzie leaves or not, because he loves it there and his family is happy.

According to this list, Marc Ross seems eager to leave: http://insidethepylon.com/nfl/front-office/2016/12/09/2017-nfl-general-manager-candidates/

I thought he (Ross) had declined jobs, but maybe im remembering incorrectly. I wonder if he is still on Irsays list of candidates.  Its also curious the number of interviews hes had and still hasnt sealed the deal. Maybe he doesnt interview well.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

They also haven't really had "great" drafts since they got Wilson five years ago.  I'd rather get someone from a team who has been on the rise in the last year or two.  Those are the teams that are drafting well right now.

I can't help but think of Seattle's defense, wishing we could have something like that.  Ultimately, you have to think what it takes to beat New England.   Seahawks may be dropping a bit now, but I view them like I do the Ravens.   They may teeter up and down a few years and then Bam...they are Super Bowl contenders/winners. 

Mark my words. Jimmy Raye III will be the new GM for the Colts, I'd expect that announcement to be made by the end of the week likely on Thursday or Friday.

No source on this, just my good old fashioned insight and intelligence. I'm almost never wrong, at least I keep trying to convince my wife of that.

...but mark my words! Jimmy Raye III

27 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

Mark my words. Jimmy Raye III will be the new GM for the Colts, I'd expect that announcement to be made by the end of the week likely on Thursday or Friday.

No source on this, just my good old fashioned insight and intelligence. I'm almost never wrong, at least I keep trying to convince my wife of that.

...but mark my words! Jimmy Raye III

Then why interview people that are better candidates then him?

7 hours ago, VocableLoki said:

7 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

He better take the interview, and pass it with flying colors. 

The Star Tribune is reporting that not only have the Colts requested permission to interview Paton, but that he plans to interview with the Colts. He is also the leading candidate for the 49ers GM job.

From the Star Tribune:

"Vikings assistant GM George Paton plans to interview with the Colts about their vacant general manager position, a source confirmed.

Paton, who has been Rick Spielman’s right-hand man here in Minnesota since 2006, is also a finalist for the open GM job with the 49ers. He has been scheduled to meet with the 49ers for a second interview.

The Colts fired GM Ryan Grigson over the weekend but have retained coach Chuck Pagano. The presence of star quarterback Andrew Luck will make Indianapolis an attractive destination for GM hopefuls.

Indy’s interest in Paton should create leverage for the UCLA graduate if he prefers to return to California to help turn around the 49ers."

http://m.startribune.com/colts-to-interview-george-paton/411544525/

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

The Star Tribune is reporting that Paton plans to interview with the Colts. He is also the leading candidate for the 49ers GM job.

From the Star Tribune:

"Vikings assistant GM George Paton plans to interview with the Colts about their vacant general manager position, a source confirmed.

Paton, who has been Rick Spielman’s right-hand man here in Minnesota since 2006, is also a finalist for the open GM job with the 49ers. He has been scheduled to meet with the 49ers for a second interview.

The Colts fired GM Ryan Grigson over the weekend but have retained coach Chuck Pagano. The presence of star quarterback Andrew Luck will make Indianapolis an attractive destination for GM hopefuls.

Indy’s interest in Paton should create leverage for the UCLA graduate if he prefers to return to California to help turn around the 49ers."

http://m.startribune.com/colts-to-interview-george-paton/411544525/

I don't see how anyone could pick the 49ers job over the Colts.

6 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Yeah, it is a mess in SF. What a difference 2 years makes. After Harbaugh left, many people believed that the 49ers job was the best among the openings (Atlanta, Jets, Bears, Broncos, Bucs, and one or two more). It is now considered among the worst in the league.

I hope to keep Paton but he deserves a promotion. Hope it's the Colts.

5 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

The Niners have nearly $90m in cap space, and that's with Kap. Put him in Shanahan's offense -- go back to Washington with RG3 in 2012 -- and you might be okay. Or you can trade for or sign a different QB, like Romo or Cousins, the latter of which had some success with Shanahan in Washington as well.

You get a hot new coach, and the ability to mold your roster as you see fit, with the #2 pick in the draft this year. You no doubt get at least 4 years to do your thing, and by then, if you play your cards right, you might have one of the best rosters in the league. Paton is also a Cali guy, having graduated from UCLA.

To me, it's 6 in one hand, half dozen in the other. I wouldn't mind the Niners job at all. Luck is the main difference, as a proven veteran QB. I'd rather have him and $60m cap space than no QB and $90m cap space.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

The Niners have nearly $90m in cap space, and that's with Kap. Put him in Shanahan's offense -- go back to Washington with RG3 in 2012 -- and you might be okay. Or you can trade for or sign a different QB, like Romo or Cousins, the latter of which had some success with Shanahan in Washington as well.

You get a hot new coach, and the ability to mold your roster as you see fit, with the #2 pick in the draft this year. You no doubt get at least 4 years to do your thing, and by then, if you play your cards right, you might have one of the best rosters in the league. Paton is also a Cali guy, having graduated from UCLA.

To me, it's 6 in one hand, half dozen in the other. I wouldn't mind the Niners job at all. Luck is the main difference, as a proven veteran QB. I'd rather have him and $60m cap space than no QB and $90m cap space.

I dont think its close. Keeping & rolling with Kap is a risk, getting anyone from FA or draft is a risk. No certainity at the most important postion. We have one of the best locked up. When you look at the owners, the division each team is in, Indy is a much better destination. Only pro thing I see with the 49ers is the Cali ties.

3 minutes ago, backshoulderfade said:

Reports are that Jimmy is hiring the GM all by himself.

That's good. I think that's how it should be. Pagano shouldn't have a say.

But I don't believe all the hype that it's obvious he's promoting Raye. If he were doing that, there'd be no need to set up other interviews.

13 minutes ago, backshoulderfade said:

Reports are that Jimmy is hiring the GM all by himself.

Per a league source, owner Jim Irsay will be making the G.M. hire on his own.

As a result, the current thinking is that Irsay will lean toward promoting Jimmy Raye III in lieu of finding someone from outside the building, for several reasons.

First, Irsay already knows Raye and is comfortable with him. Second, Raye likely would be more inclined to try to make it work with coach Chuck Pagano than an outsider would be.

Third, and perhaps most importantly, it will be easier for Irsay to put Raye and Pagano on equal footing from an accountability standpoint. If they fail, Irsay presses the reset button and starts over. If, in contrast, Irsay made a big splash by hiring someone from the outside, then that G.M. would surely survive the firing of Pagano — making it harder right from the get go to get the two men on the same page.

6 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

That's good. I think that's how it should be. Pagano shouldn't have a say.

But I don't believe all the hype that it's obvious he's promoting Raye. If he were doing that, there'd be no need to set up other interviews.

So why is Irsay engaging in a seemingly traditional search if Raye is the guy? Think back to the 49ers in 2011, who interviewed multiple outsiders before giving the job to Trent Baalke. The process of screening external candidates legitimizes the internal candidate who gets the job, creating the impression that we won some sort of contest. 

23 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Per a league source, owner Jim Irsay will be making the G.M. hire on his own.

As a result, the current thinking is that Irsay will lean toward promoting Jimmy Raye III in lieu of finding someone from outside the building, for several reasons.

First, Irsay already knows Raye and is comfortable with him. Second, Raye likely would be more inclined to try to make it work with coach Chuck Pagano than an outsider would be.

Third, and perhaps most importantly, it will be easier for Irsay to put Raye and Pagano on equal footing from an accountability standpoint. If they fail, Irsay presses the reset button and starts over. If, in contrast, Irsay made a big splash by hiring someone from the outside, then that G.M. would surely survive the firing of Pagano — making it harder right from the get go to get the two men on the same page.

Why would he try to make it work with Pagano? Chuck has had five seasons to prove his caliber as a HC in this league and has failed to do so. Slow starts, inconsistency, and bad game planning....this man's time expired back in 2015. 

Chuck is on the new GM's time here, not the other way around. 

19 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

So why is Irsay engaging in a seemingly traditional search if Raye is the guy? Think back to the 49ers in 2011, who interviewed multiple outsiders before giving the job to Trent Baalke. The process of screening external candidates legitimizes the internal candidate who gets the job, creating the impression that we won some sort of contest. 

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised.

All these guys Jim's interviewing were going to be down at the Senior Bowl anyways, it's not like we're putting them out by "interviewing" them. 

I think Irsay's just leaving room in case somebody wow's him, which I doubt will happen.

I was also kind of convinced that there won't be a major GM change when Raye said they were taking the coaches down to the Senior Bowl for the 1st time since he's been there. Sure doesn't seem like Jim is planning on bringing in an outside GM who could possibly want to revamp the coaching staff.

26 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

But Irsay really isn't one for smoke and mirrors. I can't believe that he would wait 3 weeks after the end of the season to decide that he's just going to promote someone in house. Plus he's dragged this out too long already. Why make it even longer by interviewing other candidates?

10 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Because Irsay said Chuck will be the coach of 2017, I would guess. 

Irsay is one of the most unpredictable owners in this league. At this point, that statement he made regarding Pagano as the 2017 HC should be taken with a grain of salt. Jim went with a safe response as opposed to throwing his HC in the bushes right in front of the public eye.

Pagano and Grigson got extended together, and they shall leave together. I see no point in bringing back Chuck when all it's doing is delaying the inevitable. 

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

But Irsay really isn't one for smoke and mirrors. I can't believe that he would wait 3 weeks after the end of the season to decide that he's just going to promote someone in house. Plus he's dragged this out too long already. Why make it even longer by interviewing other candidates?

Just another angle to look at it from. And I can't answer that lol.

3 minutes ago, ManningGM said:

Irsay is one of the most unpredictable owners in this league. At this point, that statement he made regarding Pagano as the 2017 HC should be taken with a grain of salt. 

Pagano and Grigson got extended together, and they shall leave together. I see no point in bringing back Chuck when all it's doing is delaying the inevitable. 

Statements like this telegraph a lack of historical knowledge

Just read a StampedeBlue article that brought up a good point (and I'm not a big fan of StampedeBlue). A potentially bigger issue than Pagano -- since I think Pagano is on his last leg anyways -- is the Manning issue. Irsay evidently wants Manning to be involved, maybe in a high level executive / football czar-type position, like Elway originally had in Denver. You could take the Colts GM position with the expectation that you're running football ops, for the most part, and then wind up working for Manning within a year or two. And if you're using the Elway/Broncos situation as a model, the GM was gone two years after Elway signed on.

To me, that's a bigger problem. I think the Pagano issue is easily resolved, one way or the other. But if you're going to bring in a football czar above me, am I going to be marginalized by someone who wasn't part of the decision to hire me? Unlike the head coach question, you have no say in that person's employment, as they are a superior. Will I eventually be replaced? The last thing the Colts need is an uncertain hierarchy, and if I'm considering the GM job, I would want to know exactly what the plans are, who I will be reporting to, etc.