Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

GM Candidates, including Jimmy Raye (merge)

ColtsStrong86

There are some strong candidates out there. One under the radar may be former Dolphins GM, Dennis Hickey, who made some strong moves in his two years there (FA and Draft) that they benefited from to make the playoffs this year. He is a smart, hard-working analytics-oriented guy who may not "win the press conference," so to speak, but will win you games. He "parted ways" with the Dolphins last year at this time because (I suspect) he wanted to be a true GM rather than Mike Tannenbaum's yes-man.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

La Canfora:

"The reality is, guys would line up and wait for a chance to speak to Irsay about this opening. This team is viewed as a potential sleeping giant"

This job isn't (shouldn't be) that hard.  Build an average defense, an average O-line, be average at running the ball and you're in the playoffs, especially in this division.  A competent GM could potentially accomplish that in one offseason, especially with this amount of cap space.  It shouldn't be that difficult to be average.  

On 1/21/2017 at 3:53 PM, masnerj said:

I have been saying this on the Grigson fired thread all along. I say the most likely thing to happen is Raye being promoted to GM and having the choice of keeping or firing Pagano. 

What is the alternative? Peyton (not happening guys, not unless someone works with him for a year or two or more)? Gruden (ship has sailed imo)? other GM candidates (we would have heard rumors and no way he does so without a formal interview or meeting)? 

The reason I believe Raye is the biggest candidate is because Irsay is stuck on Pagano staying. Maybe he doesn't care but knows Raye is going to be the GM and wants Pagano as coach. 

28 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

I said in the other thread GM's would still knock the door down for the job even with Pagano still here for 2017. And it looks like it. 

No doubt. Colts have an elite-level QB entering his prime years, have some decent pieces on offense while the offensive line appears to be looking better. Main fixes will need to be on the defense.

1 minute ago, Restored said:

the offensive line appears to be looking better. 

Better, but I question whether the new GM will be quite as high on the O-line as this forum has been.  I question whether he will view this O-line as "built."

On this forum, with Grigson, it was pretty much all we had to be positive about and were probably a little overly optimistic.

Just now, #12. said:

Better, but I question whether the new GM will be quite as high on the O-line as this forum has been.  I question whether he will view this O-line as "built."

On this forum, with Grigson, it was pretty much all we had to be positive about and were probably a little overly optimistic.

I think you have three solid pieces in Castanzo, Kelly and Mewhort. You may have to look for Castanzo's replacement soon given that his play has dropped since 2014. The other two spots need rectified but there was certainly improvement overall.

8 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

He better take the interview, and pass it with flying colors. 

I don't know anything about him but Minnesota has done a good job putting talent together in the last 4 years or so. It seems like they have mostly been really unlucky with injuries this past season.

18 minutes ago, Zach Boyd said:

I just want a GM that has a proven ability to evaluate talent NO more dumpster diving

As long as you stay stay away from guys with CFL backgrounds, I think we're fine. The problem with Grigson is his background in the CFL. He was really good at evaluating guys who could probably play at the CFL level, but not the NFL. 

8 minutes ago, ManningGM said:

Pretty sure Irsay is looking for a GM that can maximize the potential of this team for the long-term, not if they're going to be buddy-buddy with Pagano....

Chuck is probably gone after this hire anyways. Same thing happened to Caldwell.  

Different circumstances from the Caldwell situation.

2 minutes ago, Clem-Dog said:

"The Colts have requested interviews with Vikings assistant GM George Paton and Seahawks co-directors of player personnel Trent Kirchner and Scott Fitterer for their general-manager vacancy."

per Rotoworld

Someone from the Seahawks organization would be great IMO. The way they conduct business is 2nd only to the Pats in terms of maximizing potential and finding talent.

Just now, Dudley Smith said:

Someone from the Seahawks organization would be great IMO. The way they conduct business is 2nd only to the Pats in terms of maximizing potential and finding talent.

Hard to argue your point given the Hawks sustained success.

4 hours ago, stitches said:

What would you want if you were going to take over the front office?

Franchise QB? Check.

Strong cap situation? How's $60-70m this year, and not inheriting any ugly contracts? Double check.

Good draft position? I'll take 15th all day. Another check.

Flexible coaching situation? Check. Even if you're stuck with Pagano this year, you know you'll be able to make decisions moving forward.

Good ownership? I happen to think Irsay is a great owner. There are differing opinions lately, but look at his track record, his accomplishments and his hires. He is a football guy, he knows the league, knows the business, and wants desperately to win, but at the same time, he lets his football people do their jobs without meddling. 

It's hard to see this job as being anything other than desirable. I'd take it in a heartbeat. 

Just now, Superman said:

What would you want if you were going to take over the front office?

Franchise QB? Check.

Strong cap situation? How's $60-70m this year, and not inheriting any ugly contracts? Double check.

Good draft position? I'll take 15th all day. Another check.

Flexible coaching situation? Check. Even if you're stuck with Pagano this year, you know you'll be able to make decisions moving forward.

Good ownership? I happen to think Irsay is a great owner. There are differing opinions lately, but look at his track record, his accomplishments and his hires. He is a football guy, he knows the league, knows the business, and wants desperately to win, but at the same time, he lets his football people do their jobs without meddling. 

It's hard to see this job as being anything other than desirable. I'd take it in a heartbeat. 

Yeah, I think it's a pretty damn good situation. If I were to be a GM though, I'd want to get a coach I want and not be saddled with one that has proven he's not a good coach to begin with.

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yeah, I think it's a pretty damn good situation. If I were to be a GM though, I'd want to get a coach I want and not be saddled with one that has proven he's not a good coach to begin with.

You could do a lot worse than Pagano, I think. 

But, to your point, I think there's potential for a 'stuck in limbo' kind of situation here. As you know, I think this team played beneath its potential last year, and I put that on coaching. If the Colts get back to 11-5, but still don't quite look right, it's hard to make that move. Not impossible, it's been done before, it can be done again. The Broncos are the most recent example, and that worked out great (Kubiak isn't even some great coach that everyone would be eager to hire). 

To me, if the Colts don't go out and slay some giants in 2017, and look like a contender in the postseason, then the GM will be getting rid of Pagano. We all know they can win the division, but can they hang with the big boys? Anything less -- especially with Pagano in Year 6, and having his revamped coaching staff -- isn't good enough. I think the bar is set higher for Pagano than it was for Caldwell this year.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

But, to your point, I think there's potential for a 'stuck in limbo' kind of situation here. As you know, I think this team played beneath its potential last year, and I put that on coaching. If the Colts get back to 11-5, but still don't quite look right, it's hard to make that move. Not impossible, it's been done before, it can be done again. The Broncos are the most recent example, and that worked out great (Kubiak isn't even some great coach that everyone would be eager to hire). 

To me, if the Colts don't go out and slay some giants in 2017, and look like a contender in the postseason, then the GM will be getting rid of Pagano. We all know they can win the division, but can they hang with the big boys? Anything less -- especially with Pagano in Year 6, and having his revamped coaching staff -- isn't good enough. I think the bar is set higher for Pagano than it was for Caldwell this year.

If you check the schedule, it's INCREDIBLY SOFT. It's one of the easiest schedules any team has ever had. With that in mind, 11-5 season and a division title is very much in play even with Pagano at the helm... This is the biggest problem... that even relative success might be a false flag to what is happening with the team. I don't trust Pagano to lead this team against the best of the best. He has never shown the ability to squeeze advantages we have or make adjustments and gameplan decisions against the true contenders in the league.

As simple as this sounds, Irsay needs a GM who is simply a pure football guy, and has the knowledge to be a forward thinking mind in building a well constructed team. Living down in Nashville, TN, and reading more into their hiring of Jon Robinson last offseason, he struck me as a pure football guy, learning from the likes of Floyd Reese and Bill Belichick while in New England.

The GM this team needs is a man who is constantly involved with players, and not letting his ego get the best of him, and thinking he knows everything and therefore not constantly looking for ways to better this team. I get the feeling that Grigson wasn't constantly involved by interacting with players and getting their input as well as outside input with personnel and draft decisions.

In addition to these qualities Indy's next GM should have, they should also have helped build teams that Irsay is wanting to model the Colts after. Teams like Seattle, New England, and even recently Minnesota with their great defense they've constructed. Having a great defense with also a well constructed OL and running game would give Luck all the tools he would need to reach the Superbowl.

A few guys I'm looking at and could see them being those "pure football" GM candidates are Nick Caserio from New England, and Eric DeCosta from Baltimore. I'll have to read more into other candidates to see if I can find more that fall under this category.

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

If you check the schedule, it's INCREDIBLY SOFT. It's one of the easiest schedules any team has ever had. With that in mind, 11-5 season and a division title is very much in play even with Pagano at the helm... This is the biggest problem... that even relative success might be a false flag to what is happening with the team. I don't trust Pagano to lead this team against the best of the best. He has never shown the ability to squeeze advantages we have or make adjustments and gameplan decisions against the true contenders in the league.

I don't agree about the schedule. First, I think it's folly to try to judge a schedule beforehand, the league changes too much from year to year (outside of the Patriots). The Falcons, Saints and Bucs were all top five in SOS prior to 2016 because the Panthers were 15-1 last year, but we see how that turned out. The AFC North goes up and down every year, outside of the Browns, so the Bengals and Ravens could easily be formidable again. The Cardinals still have a strong roster, and the Rams were arguably held back by poor coaching. The Niners will likely be better than they were last year, and the Seahawks are an obviously tough matchup. The Chargers switched coaching staffs, so it's pointless to try to predict what they'll be like, and the Bills beat us in 2015. Then, there's our division, which everyone thinks is getting better.

And besides, to the bolded, I don't think Pagano will be judged on overall record, at least I don't think he should be. I think we should see what happens against the Steelers, Cardinals, Seahawks and Texans, teams that have gotten the best of the Colts and/or are considered title contenders. And if they make the playoffs, maybe the Patriots. And if anyone else emerges over the course of the season, how we do against them. We could go 11-5, but if the Steelers and Cardinals blow us out again, and the Texans sweep, then it should be plainly obvious that Pagano isn't any better, that he did NOT do the best coaching job of his career (like Irsay said he expects), and I think the new GM will get rid of him and point at the Broncos in 2015 as his justification for getting rid of a good-but-not-great head coach. 

We'll see what happens. Obviously, I agree that I'd rather have complete autonomy to change coaches, if I see fit, and it doesn't appear Irsay will grant that, at least not this year. But I don't think Irsay is going to try to pin Pagano on the new GM, even if he does mandate that Pagano stay this season. 

23 minutes ago, Superman said:

This is what I'm kinda worried about. 

I also think this team can win 10+ games, but I don't expect the slow starts and other problems to outright disappear. Or like you put it, just don't look quite right.

I like Raye III as a potential GM, but the only drawback to him to me is if he and Pagano are good buddies. Raye III could be a calculated guy who won't let relationships get in the way, but it's still something to worry about. That he'll keep Chuck as long as the winning record is there.

23 minutes ago, stitches said:

That schedule will be anything but soft next season. 

4 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

A few guys I'm looking at and could see them being those "pure football" GM candidates are Nick Caserio from New England, and Eric DeCosta from Baltimore. I'll have to read more into other candidates to see if I can find more that fall under this category.

Those guys should be at the top of any list. The problem is Caserio is the de facto GM in New England (and probably gets paid like it), and DeCosta has said he's staying in Baltimore, period. 

DeCosta was number one on my list in 2012, and Irsay wanted him, but he declined to interview. He's declined to interview several times since then.

From 2012: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/7432557/baltimore-ravens-eric-decosta-seek-gm-jobs-elsewhere

From 2016: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/06/eric-decosta-turns-down-yet-another-chance-for-promotion/

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

And besides, to the bolded, I don't think Pagano will be judged on overall record, at least I don't think he should be. I think we should see what happens against the Steelers, Cardinals, Seahawks and Texans, teams that have gotten the best of the Colts and/or are considered title contenders. And if they make the playoffs, maybe the Patriots. And if anyone else emerges over the course of the season, how we do against them. We could go 11-5, but if the Steelers and Cardinals blow us out again, and the Texans sweep, then it should be plainly obvious that Pagano isn't any better, that he did NOT do the best coaching job of his career (like Irsay said he expects), and I think the new GM will get rid of him and point at the Broncos in 2015 as his justification for getting rid of a good-but-not-great head coach

We'll see what happens. Obviously, I agree that I'd rather have complete autonomy to change coaches, if I see fit, and it doesn't appear Irsay will grant that, at least not this year. But I don't think Irsay is going to try to pin Pagano on the new GM, even if he does mandate that Pagano stay this season. 

Yep, I don't think the overall record SHOULD be the main part of Pagano's grade as a coach, but this has been the case for the last 5 years. He's been feasting on weak division and then getting annihilated by the best teams in the league. Irsay himself used the 11-5 thing as a reason why Pagano and Grigson did good job just the other day on his press-conference. What makes us think that he's really evaluating Pagano on his performance vs the best, rather than his overall record? And if he hasn't done it before, what makes us think he will do it in the future?

3 hours ago, JColts72 said:

If Raye was involved drafting and signing free agents with Ryan, then no thanks. What, he's supposed to be the new GM because him and Chuck are pals?

Obviously he helped in some respect, giving grigson his input on what he thought about prospects. No one knows how much grigson actually listened to him though. The only things we know for sure about raye are that he was very good at his job back in san diego (he was a big part of the deal that got them brees and LT, as well as making a big push to bring in gates. 

The only thing we know about him in our building for sure is that he was in charge of the udfas. I think he has gotten us some pretty good players considering that was all he had power over. whalen, kerr, Harrison, swoope,  bray, rodgers were all brought in by him and have helped this team. There are probably more but thats just off the top of my head. 

I think he's at least earned an interview. 

20 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yep, I don't think the overall record SHOULD be the main part of Pagano's grade as a coach, but this has been the case for the last 5 years. He's been feasting on weak division and then getting annihilated by the best teams in the league. Irsay himself used the 11-5 thing as a reason why Pagano and Grigson did good job just the other day on his press-conference. What makes us think that he's really evaluating Pagano on his performance vs the best, rather than his overall record? And if he hasn't done it before, what makes us think he will do it in the future?

I don't think it is this easy, otherwise Pagano would probably not have made it this long. The problem is that he flashes the ability to put together good game plans and compete with good teams (Broncos, Seahawks, Packers, etc) it's just not at a consistent level. The problem is that our team gets blown out or wins in close games against these teams, not a lot of "respectable losses."

1 hour ago, stitches said:

This is the NFL not high school football, no NFL schedule is easy.