Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

GM Candidates, including Jimmy Raye (merge)

ColtsStrong86

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, masnerj said:

I have been saying this on the Grigson fired thread all along. I say the most likely thing to happen is Raye being promoted to GM and having the choice of keeping or firing Pagano. 

What is the alternative? Peyton (not happening guys, not unless someone works with him for a year or two or more)? Gruden (ship has sailed imo)? other GM candidates (we would have heard rumors and no way he does so without a formal interview or meeting)? 

I don't think Raye is going to fix things. I want to go out of house and hire Elliot Wolff from Green Bay...the success that franchise has had how could you not look the guy over.

16 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I'm hoping Irsay is going after some of the big dogs...

Scott Pioli

Nick Caserio

Eric DeCosta

Eliot Wolf

Gary Paton

Chris Ballard

I'm starting to REALLY like Scott Pioli as an option. He has spent plenty of years building up New England and has recently built up Atlanta.

If Irsay gets agreement from Peyton to take a high front office position, I could see Raye being the interim GM until Peyton is ready to take on the role.

2 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Was he scout when they got any good defensive players? :dunno: Because that's what we need.

Honestly I don't know what his ratio of offense to defense was, but my hope was he got what his team needed at the time they needed that position filled, so I view a good selection as a sign of recognition of talent and value for where they were selected and when, and the position they played on the field as a by product of that process....that ability alone would be light years of improvement over what we just jettisoned.....

2 hours ago, #12. said:

Schefter just now on ESPN:  declaring Raye the favorite is a mistake.  Everyone in the league wants this job, because of Luck.

He also said Chuck and Grigson were seeing a psychiatrist together.  Really.

Oh good lord if everyone in the league wants the job because of Andrew and Irsay settles with Jimmy Raye, that just wouldn't sit well with me at all

33 minutes ago, crunked said:

Honestly I don't know what his ratio of offense to defense was, but my hope was he got what his team needed at the time they needed that position filled, so I view a good selection as a sign of recognition of talent and value for where they were selected and when, and the position they played on the field as a by product of that process....that ability alone would be light years of improvement over what we just jettisoned.....

True that. 

9 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

Oh good lord if everyone in the league wants the job because of Andrew and Irsay settles with Jimmy Raye, that just wouldn't sit well with me at all

Schefter and Riddick just once again spoke about how this is the most coveted job in the league.  According to Schefter, everyone wants it.  Everyone wants to see what they could do with Luck.

1 minute ago, #12. said:

Schefter and Riddick just once again spoke about how this is the most coveted job in the league.  According to Schefter, everyone wants it.  Everyone wants to see what they could do with Luck.

It just wouldn't sit well me with me if Jim makes Raye the GM, while almost everyone else would take the job because of Andrew

See, I like Jimmy Raye III as a candidate.

What I'm worried about is that he seems to have a very good relationship with Chuck. I don't want a guy who could possibly be lenient on Chuck during this evaluation period.

Like Schefter said though, this is a hot job opening. It'd be such a waste just to go in it with a clear favorite and not go after any other intriguing candidates.

Irsay sounded almost all but set on Raye III and Pagano though.

57 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I'm hoping Irsay is going after some of the big dogs...

Scott Pioli

Nick Caserio

Eric DeCosta

Eliot Wolf

Gary Paton

Chris Ballard

I'm starting to REALLY like Scott Pioli as an option. He has spent plenty of years building up New England and has recently built up Atlanta.

If Irsay gets agreement from Peyton to take a high front office position, I could see Raye being the interim GM until Peyton is ready to take on the role.

I used to like Pioli, but he did some extremely odd things in KC.  It would be like having Grigson back.  I lean towards Ballard

3 minutes ago, #12. said:

I have to say, I am not surprised one bit. The key to success for any GM is longevity and playoff success (which both go hand in hand). And I would bet my non-existent dollar that Luck would provide any good GM candidate with both as long as they play their part in bringing on additional talent on the defensive side and remaining offensive positions. 

16 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

Now regarding Raye being the favorite thing, I am going to assume that this is for two reasons: the first being that Irsay is a pretty loyal guy and he respects Raye a lot and has for many years so he is gonna give the guy every chance possible, the second being that Raye as GM also is the best chance for Pagano to be guaranteed a 2017 job (hard to bring on a GM with the condition that he has to allow the current HC to play atleast one year) and also is an opportunity to still try to convince Peyton to take on Raye's old job. 

Not saying that this is the best move for the Colts but I can see where Irsay is coming from. We shouldn't worry however. Just because Raye was named the favorite it doesn't mean that all the GM candidates are gonna be scared and back out. Everyone wants this job and they are gonna try everything to get it. Maybe Raye being named the favorite might improve our options.

Hire me.

Here's how you build a team in order of importance. 

1. O line.

2. D line run stuffers.

3. D line pass rushers.

4. Quarterback.

5. D backs.

6. Linebackers.

7. Recievers.

8. Tightends.

9. Running backs.

10. Kicker.

11. Punter.

Offensive skill players are a dime a dozen.  It comes down to play calling and coaching for the offensive skill players.  In order to run those plays you need an offensive line more than anything.  That is the #1 most important position.  Control the line and you control the game.  In order to stop those plays you need a defensive line more than anything.  Stuff the run and you make the other team one dimensional.

I'm going to guess that Raye gets promoted. Irsay has said pagano will stay. Raye will probably be the candidate most likely to be ok with that situation, since he already has an in with pagano and is familiar with working with him.

An outsider is probably going to want his own coach, and I really believe Irsay when he says pagano WILL be here in 2017. He has no reason to lie at this point.

1 hour ago, Luck is Good said:

Why would Irsay be settling?  Who do you like and are they more qualified than Raye or just something different? 

Just now, Coltsman1788 said:

Why would Irsay be settling?  Who do you like and are they more qualified than Raye or just something different? 

I think Irsay would be settling because there's a lot of qualified GMs out there. Personally, I like Pioli and Ballard. I just don't like the idea of hiring a guy to be the GM who has no experience in that area

1 hour ago, masnerj said:

Regarding my personal hope for GM? It has to go to Ballard or Caserio, though I wouldn't mind Raye. It would be hilarious if we get the Patriots director of personnel this year and they he hires Josh McDaniels next year.

Pats assistant coaches make me nervous. They aren't usually that successful after they leave Belicheck for head coaching positions. 

Irsay knows that hiring rookies like he did before stacks the cards against the colts. He said so in his press conference. So I highly doubt he is looking to do exactly that right now. He has a list of people he likes. I highly doubt he knows who is going to be GM. There will be multiple interviews. 

The way this off season has gone so far it is really pointless to speculate. Just when we gave into the idea of grigson remaining look what happens. I'm going to remain patient with the process, and remain patient with the choice that is made. 

1 minute ago, Luck is Good said:

I think Irsay would be settling because there's a lot of qualified GMs out there. Personally, I like Pioli and Ballard. I just don't like the idea of hiring a guy to be the GM who has no experience in that area

Pioli would be a good candidate and hopefully he will show interest in the position.  He would be more qualified than Raye.  I could get behind him. That doesn't mean Raye is a bad candidate though.  He has a lot of front office experience in his own right as well as the advantage of already being very familiar with every aspect of the Colts organization.

I believe Chris Ballard has already announced he will not be interviewing anywhere else.  Unless the Colts opening somehow changes his mind.  We will have to see but I agree that he would be another good candidate.  He isn't any more qualified than Raye though.

21 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I'm going to guess that Raye gets promoted. Irsay has said pagano will stay. Raye will probably be the candidate most likely to be ok with that situation, since he already has an in with pagano and is familiar with working with him.

An outsider is probably going to want his own coach, and I really believe Irsay when he says pagano WILL be here in 2017. He has no reason to lie at this point.

Jimmy also said no surgery for luck and ryan to be here 4 years.

7 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Pioli would be a good candidate and hopefully he will show interest in the position.  He would be more qualified than Raye.  I could get behind him. That doesn't mean Raye is a bad candidate though.  He has a lot of front office experience in his own right as well as the advantage of already being very familiar with every aspect of the Colts organization.

I believe Chris Ballard has already announced he will not be interviewing anywhere else.  Unless the Colts opening somehow changes his mind.  We will have to see but I agree that he would be another good candidate.  He isn't any more qualified than Raye though.

I agree Jimmy Raye isn't a bad candidate but I just think this needs to be a home run hire. And Schefter reported earlier that almost everyone wants the GM position just because of Andrew. Pioli would be my first choice. I don't think Raye would be catastrophic but I think the Colts can do better. JMO

Jimmy also said no surgery for luck and ryan to be here 4 years.

Utterly ridiculous argument.

Luck could have seen a doctor the day after the season ended, or any day between then and the surgery and determined that it was the best option. You have no idea what went on pertaining to his health, so speculating is little more than pissing in the wind.

As far as signing grigson to an extension, your point again is moot. A year has passed since then. Obviously something has changed. Something led to grigson's departure. But using his comments from over a year ago is a stretch.

Furthermore, there is already a heavy amount of scrutiny on him for the way this situation has been reported as being handled. Why would he adamantly state that pagano is going to stay, and then turn around and fire him when a new GM is named? That's only going to further hurt his credibility and make him less attractive to work for.

Look at the history here. This is not the first time this sort of thing has happened. When Polian was fired Irsay made it clear that the decision regarding Caldwell's future would be made by the new GM when he was named.

If that were the case this time around he would have just said the same. He stands literally nothing to gain by saying pagano will remain here and then firing him, and it would in fact be more damaging than anything else. In fact, it could even possibly be handcuffing his search for a new GM by making it clear that pagano is a part of the deal.

There is simply no logic behind the suggestion that he does not fully intend to keep pagano.

4 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

I agree Jimmy Raye isn't a bad candidate but I just think this needs to be a home run hire. And Schefter reported earlier that almost everyone wants the GM position just because of Andrew. Pioli would be my first choice. I don't think Raye would be catastrophic but I think the Colts can do better. JMO

Fair enough. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.  Pioli is intriguing to me as well now.  It will be interesting to see the names that emerge over the next few days. 

28 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Pats assistant coaches make me nervous. They aren't usually that successful after they leave Belicheck for head coaching positions. 

I actually agree with you about their assistant coaches. And on a general level, promoting assistant coaches is always risky to begin with because being a good HC and being a talented OC or DC are very different things. Though I do like Cesario a lot, he would definitely be an upgrade to Ryan Grigson.  

39 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I am not that familiar with the different candidates for the GM position.  So Raye may be fine, but he better have a very different philosophy on the draft and free agency than has been the case the last 5 years.

Also, I think we forget the obvious thing about Raye:

If we promote him to GM, we have to hire a VP/Director of Personnel to take his old job (as much as we would love Peyton to fill in, I think it is safe to say that is unlikely this year after everything. I would kill for that but I personally don't believe such a thing is gonna happen, atleast not this year). 

If we DON'T promote him to GM, he isn't going anywhere!! He would still stay in his same position (I doubt an incoming GM will fire him or anything). So his talents, and insight and value will still be in the organization, just not at GM. If we hire some outside guy, then we would have that guy and Raye as number 2. I think many of us can agree that a Raye and random guy promoted as 1-2 is worse than a GM candidate and Raye as 1-2. 

Only situation where we come out "winning" with Raye as GM, in my opinion, is if Raye is hired as GM and if Peyton is hired as VP. I think we should go looking outside the organization for our next GM. Raye isn't going anywhere (not this year anyways, 49ers didn't want him). 

I am not that familiar with the different candidates for the GM position.  So Raye may be fine, but he better have a very different philosophy on the draft and free agency than has been the case the last 5 years.

That's kinda the scary thing here. We've got a lot of cap space coming, and if whoever takes the job isn't wise with spending it, it could handcuff us for quite some time moving forward.

Say what you will about grigson, but you really have to give him credit for keeping a lot of his deals team friendly. He gave us a safe, easy out of them a lot more often than not.

5 hours ago, #12. said:

Schefter just now on ESPN:  declaring Raye the favorite is a mistake.  Everyone in the league wants this job, because of Luck.

He also said Chuck and Grigson were seeing a psychiatrist together.  Really.

If anyone declines an interview because they think they cannot become the favorite candidadte, then i dont want them here anyway.

Caserio was a favorite of mine, but I started thinking about the Pats and it sort of turned me off to him. Is the Pats' success due to good scouting and FA acquisitions or amazing coaching? Also, how much of the Pats' FO decisions are Belichick? It seems like a similar dilemma to hiring NE Asst Coaches.

3 hours ago, #12. said:

Except gruden and manning apparently.

haha (sorry, i couldnt resist)

1 hour ago, John Waylon said:

That's kinda the scary thing here. We've got a lot of cap space coming, and if whoever takes the job isn't wise with spending it, it could handcuff us for quite some time moving forward.

Say what you will about grigson, but you really have to give him credit for keeping a lot of his deals team friendly. He gave us a safe, easy out of them a lot more often than not.

Jim's no *.  He spent his time in personnel.

We know it's one of Irsay's top priorities is to get Peyton here; so I wonder how much weight Manning's opinion will carry in this hire, since if he did decide to sign on with the Colts in a year or two he could likely be working with/learning from whoever they hire. Just a thought, I don't know to what extent Manning is even bring consulted (if at all). 

23 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Come on.....

You have no idea if it would suck.

You don't know Jimmy Raye or what he wants to do or if he ever disagreed with Grigson?

He might be good.

I'm not saying he should be promoted....     I'm just saying we don't know if he'd be bad....

True