Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

GM Candidates, including Jimmy Raye (merge)

ColtsStrong86

Was able to dig up this article about Jimmy Raye from last March.

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Jimmy-Raye-III-Ryan-Grigsons-Trusted-Right-Hand-Man/bba67d1d-2eb9-410a-9e56-1d3a728eb050

Here is a quote in the article from Ryan Grigson about Jimmy Raye.

“I think anyone will tell you that Jimmy Raye is the furthest thing from a ‘Yes Man’ there is in this league, and that is critical for someone in my position,” said Grigson. “Quite frankly I don’t like to hear some of his opinions sometimes, because I may be leaning very hard in a certain way and express a passionate position in an animated way, but Jimmy is someone who can hit you right back between the eyes with a well thought-out alternative perspective in a very matter of fact way.”

I find it really difficult as a fan to feel strongly about any particular GM candidate unless they have been in that position before. There is so much that goes into how personnel decisions are made and how to run your football operations.

I have no clue if Jimmy would be a good GM or not but if Irsay believes in him then I think everyone should give the guy a fair chance and open mind.

Also, I disagree that Pagano is retained long term if Jimmy is promoted to GM. There has been talks that Jimmy is liked by the coaching staff but I don't take that to mean that Jimmy would blindly keep Pagano. Being well liked does not mean someone is soft and is going to tolerate average performances.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, CR91 said:

how exactly did you form that conclusion

For one it's in house and I don't know how much input Raye had with Grigs but the BIGGER picture to me is that Chuck feels awfully SAFE to be endorsing ANYONE especially considering how this team has looked the last couple of seasons!! Chuck SHOULD be worried about his own status with a new GM instead of feeling "comfortable" with Raye.

1 hour ago, azcolt said:

So says an article on NFL.com. I wonder if he is tying himself to Raye for the next four years. Anyone thrilled by today's developments is going be feeling pretty foolish when this ends.

worst thing to happen to this guy.  he should run.  pagano will take him down at the first sign of trouble.  

1 minute ago, bluephantom87 said:

For one it's in house and I don't know how much input Raye had with Grigs but the BIGGER picture to me is that Chuck feels awfully SAFE to be endorsing ANYONE especially considering how this team has looked the last couple of seasons!! Chuck SHOULD be worried about his own status with a new GM instead of feeling "comfortable" with Raye.

I rather he does endorse to atleast give us an understanding that these are two people who can coexist and be on the same page to build this team

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Where did you get the word "begged" from?      I'll tell you where....   thin air....     that's your view supported by no facts.     Congrats.

And,  he didn't fire MOST of his assistants....    he fired a number of them.     And replaced them with guys like Philbin and Schottenheimer and you're complaining.

It would really help if you could put your HATE aside before you post.    It would really help if you could THINK before you post.

Otherwise,  all you have is opinionated nonsense....

Congratulations.....

Just because someone can read the tea leaves and has intuition about something doesn't mean they HATE the guy..I don't hate him as a human, but I have seen enough to know he isn't a good coach..Everyone has a right to their own opinion on the situation..You keep criticizing people for forming their own opinions which coukd very well be right...I don't understand why you seem to be so offended tonight..lol..Take a shot and relax, the sun will rise again tomorrow and we will never achieve world peace.."The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows, it's a very mean and nasty place"...

I really wouldn't mind if Raye III is promoted to GM. I just want their to be a legitimate search.

Only thing is, as much as Irsay said he had names in mind he seemed pretty set on his new vision, which for this year at least seems to be Raye III and Pagano. Who knows though, that's just the impression I got.

1 hour ago, chrisfarley said:

Yea, maybe there's more to Chuck than we know.  When a coach can talk himself back into his job, something is broken at the top.  I think the only way Grigson got away with all of his arrogant behavior is because he had a guy to step on for 4 years , perhaps some of that changed in year 5 but Chuck is a softie and had a target on his back.  I think Grigson could prosper in an environment where the coach is like a Bill O-Brien.  If he tried to pull that crap (mis-drafts, arrogant behavior, treating the coach like dirt) on BOB he would have gotten his butt stomped (verbally if nothing else).

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

See I am the opposite, I would rather of seen Grigson gone. Maybe that is why I am so happy today.

I'm not a Grigson fan, but I can acknowledge he has made his share of good moves..Trading up to get TY and trading to get Davis..He has made good picks in last couple drafts..A lot of the guys he signed like Donald Thomas and Art Jones have been hurt..Anderson got hurt as did Geathers..He has also made his share of bad moves and I think we can do better..PAGANO has shown no ability to prepare the team and is terrible at game management. .He has cost us many games on bad decisions alone, he doesn't seem to be able to develop players, and worst of all he seems to throw everyone else under the bus to save his own behind...I would feel better with a new coach and Grigson than I do with a new G.M. and Pagano...Every year Pagano is here is another wasted year in Luck's career in my opinion..I want them BOTH gone and a new voice and direction, preferrably somebody with a proven track record..Paoli and Shanahan would be great...

Just now, Fisticuffs111 said:

Grigson, but only because of the toxis situation he brought. I think he's better at his job than Pagano, although not by much.

According to Reggie Wayne and Pat McAfee, Grigson was a complete tool bag and treated people like garbage - cant have that type of atmosphere in an organization. It's very unhealthy. Plus he has totally failed to build any kind of Defense here in 5 years. He is way worse than Pagano. I would take Reggie and Pat's word to heart because they were around front office people at times and Coaches daily.  Irsay seen the main problem luckily as well. I am not really defending Pagano either but Grigson was worse, JMO.

7 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

I'm not a Grigson fan, but I can acknowledge he has made his share of good moves..Trading up to get TY and trading to get Davis..He has made good picks in last couple drafts..A lot of the guys he signed like Donald Thomas and Art Jones have been hurt..Anderson got hurt as did Geathers..He has also made his share of bad moves and I think we can do better..PAGANO has shown no ability to prepare the team and is terrible at game management. .He has cost us many games on bad decisions alone, he doesn't seem to be able to develop players, and worst of all he seems to throw everyone else under the bus to save his own behind...I would feel better with a new coach and Grigson than I do with a new G.M. and Pagano...Every year Pagano is here is another wasted year in Luck's career in my opinion..I want them BOTH gone and a new voice and direction, preferrably somebody with a proven track record..Paoli and Shanahan would be great...

I am not a Pagano fan and I think we can do better but did you ever think if we even had a Top 15 Defense that we would win 11 games every year if Luck stayed healthy. The Talent that has been drafted on Defense hasn't been anything worth bragging about. I did like the Vontae trade and have defended Grigson there but most of his Draft picks have been BAD.

33 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Just because someone can read the tea leaves and has intuition about something doesn't mean they HATE the guy..I don't hate him as a human, but I have seen enough to know he isn't a good coach..Everyone has a right to their own opinion on the situation..You keep criticizing people for forming their own opinions which coukd very well be right...I don't understand why you seem to be so offended tonight..lol..Take a shot and relax, the sun will rise again tomorrow and we will never achieve world peace.."The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows, it's a very mean and nasty place"...

When you write something like what the poster wrote,  it isn't hard to see what the person is.

He's a hater.       There are a lot of haters.

I don't care about a difference of opinion.     I don't care if someone doesn't like Pagano and thinks he should be fired.      But when a poster writes "The guy begged for Irsay to tie him to Grigson for four years to avoid being fired, then solved "the real problem" by firing most of his assistants a few weeks later."

Those are the words of a hater, JShipp.      You don't have to be a rocket scientist to spot something like that.

Make a grown-up argument, a serious argument,  but don't spout some childish 15-year old nonsense and then expect someone like me not to go off on it.    The guy is a hater.     That's the kind of nonsense that a hater would like.

55 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

we have never had a losing season under coach Chuck.

Until we do....and until the players stop playing hard for him...I'm with him

Thank you.

Sometimes it feels like trying to stop a tsunami with a screen door......      (Sigh....)      :peek:

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not a Pagano fan and I think we can do better but did you ever think if we even had a Top 15 Defense that we would win 11 games every year if Luck stayed healthy. The Talent that has been drafted on Defense hasn't been anything worth bragging about. I did like the Vontae trade and have defended Grigson there but most of his Draft picks have been BAD.

Other than the Dorsett pick..Who have we drafted on offense that you want to take off the team had we drafted a defensive player instead? We have a pretty damn good offense now, and I even think the o-line has the potential to be good...He did draft Luck, Hilton, Moncrief, Kelly, Mewhort, Haeg, Clark, Goode, Allen, Fleenor and he found guys like Doyel and Swoope..You only have so much cap to work with..You can't expect a guy to hit on every decision. .Werner and Richardson were horrible, Djourn Smith was a bust, 2013 and 14 drafts were bad..2015 and 2016 drafts were much better...At least he did some good things, and showed improvement..Pagano has not improved at all and has regressed, we are still having the same issues, slow starts, bad clock management, bad in game decisions, bad schemes, penalties and dumb mistakes, year after year I see nothing good about him other than the players like him cause he is easy on them or he is a "nice guy"...We don't need a nice guy, we need a real coach who makes us better and helps us win games instead of literally losing several games for us because of dumb decisions..

Please, no.

Can we just hire someone from outside the organization already? This team needs a new vision moving forward. Pagano obviously has a good relationship with Jimmy Raye and probably thinks his job is safe with him as the new GM.

Let Jimmy Raye go be the GM of the 49ers.. it's time for a serious change,

1 minute ago, jshipp23 said:

Other than the Dorsett pick..Who have we drafted on offense that you want to take off the team had we drafted a defensive player instead? We have a pretty damn good offense now, and I even think the o-line has the potential to be good...He did draft Luck, Hilton, Moncrief, Kelly, Mewhort, Haeg, Clark, Goode, Allen, Fleenor and he found guys like Doyel and Swoope..You only have so much cap to work with..You can't expect a guy to hit on every decision. .Werner and Richardson were horrible, Djourn Smith was a bust, 2013 and 14 drafts were bad..2015 and 2016 drafts were much better...At least he did some good things, and showed improvement..Pagano has not improved at all and has regressed, we are still having the same issues, slow starts, bad clock management, bad in game decisions, bad schemes, penalties and dumb mistakes, year after year I see nothing good about him other than the players like him cause he is easy on them or he is a "nice guy"...We don't need a nice guy, we need a real coach who makes us better and helps us win games instead of literally losing several games for us because of dumb decisions..

I meant his Defensive Draft picks have been Bad. Yes he has hit on a few Offensive picks, cant argue that but we still haven't had a top tier RB here for example and the O.Line has been Bad for the most part up until the last few games of this past season. I loved the Kelly pick but overall he hasn't built a Good team. Luck has carried this team a lot and when Luck missed 9 games, Pagano still went 8-8. That says a lot IMO.

27 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

According to Reggie Wayne and Pat McAfee, Grigson was a complete tool bag and treated people like garbage - cant have that type of atmosphere in an organization. It's very unhealthy. Plus he has totally failed to build any kind of Defense here in 5 years. He is way worse than Pagano. I would take Reggie and Pat's word to heart because they were around front office people at times and Coaches daily.  Irsay seen the main problem luckily as well. I am not really defending Pagano either but Grigson was worse, JMO.

I agree with that, I meant Grigson is who I'd fire.

I just don't think Pagano's the right guy for the job either.

7 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

If you think Pagano has regressed, I don't know why you don't consider the reason might be because he has no defense to speak of.      It's ranked 30th.       It's old and slow and has no playmakers.

We've spent the vast majority of our resources (top picks and free agent money) on offense.    The defense has taken the back seat.     And it's gone down hill.

Maybe Pagano should get some credit for making chicken salad out of chicken ....   ahhh....  ehhhh.....   poop.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

If you think Pagano has regressed, I don't know why you don't consider the reason might be because he has no defense to speak of.      It's ranked 30th.       It's old and slow and has no playmakers.

We've spent the vast majority of our resources (top picks and free agent money) on offense.    The defense has taken the back seat.     And it's gone down hill.

Maybe Pagano should get some credit for making chicken salad out of chicken ....   ahhh....  ehhhh.....   poop.

That's what I mean, most of the picks we had on Defense have been Bad.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I meant his Defensive Draft picks have been Bad. Yes he has hit on a few Offensive picks, cant argue that but we still haven't had a top tier RB here for example and the O.Line has been Bad for the most part up until the last few games of this past season. I loved the Kelly pick but overall he hasn't built a Good team. Luck has carried this team a lot and when Luck missed 9 games, Pagano still went 8-8. That says a lot IMO.

He didn't have a lot of picks on defense and most weren't high..I think Geathers and Anderson are pretty good players picked in 3rd and 4th..Parry is decent for a 5th round pick as is Ridgeway for another 5th round pic morrison is a good run stopping 2 down linebacker for a 4th round pick who will get better..Many hate on T.J Green , but I like his raw talent Ill give him a few years before I judge him... I think he found nice players in Edwin Jackson and Jerrell Freeman out of nowhere..DQ has been a decent player, Butler and Adams were good signings..Art Jones got hurt, Toler was always hurt, same with Robinson..Landry was terrible for us, but made a pro bowl in Washington before we signed him..I think we can do better than Grigson, I'm fine with Raye..Raye was a part of the decision making on some loaded Chargers teams..If you are comparing Pagano and Grigson on who most deserved to be fired it's Pagano all day in my opinion..

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Whatever,  we win because of the offense..Pagano has no clue about offense, and was brought in to help the defense. .It was his job to make this defense respectable. I guarantee you Wade Phillips or Romeo Crennell would have this defense better than 30th..That is what he is supposed to do, if he can't what purpose does he serve..Of course if we load the defense with good players it will be better that's easy...A lot of coaches can win with Luck and a loaded defense. ..He has a pro bowl corner, some good safetys, butler is a good slot and safety..Ejax was decent at ilb and will get better as will Morrison..Anderson and Lankford are good players..Ridgeway is a good young player..He has enough to work with to be better than 30th..

5 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Whatever,  we win because of the offense..Pagano has no clue about offense, and was brought in to help the defense. .It was his job to make this defense respectable. I guarantee you Wade Phillips or Romeo Crennell would have this defense better than 30th..That is what he is supposed to do, if he can't what purpose does he serve..Of course if we load the defense with good players it will be better that's easy...A lot of coaches can win with Luck and a loaded defense. ..He has a pro bowl corner, some good safetys, butler is a good slot and safety..Ejax was decent at ilb and will get better as will Morrison..Anderson and Lankford are good players..Ridgeway is a good young player..He has enough to work with to be better than 30th..

Vonte Davis was a Pro Bowl corner 3 years ago.     He's living off his reputation.  

He's got OK safeties....     it's an 11 man defense....    what else you got?

And if you're biggest complaint is Pagano is not Wade Phillips or Romeo Crennel,  well guess what....   neither is most everyone else.      Those are two of the best.      But, they also both have talent.     Remember, Denver won a Super Bowl with great Defensive talent,   and Houston was the top ranked defense in the NFL ***WITHOUT*** JJ Watt.      Now that's a lot of talent.

Chuck Pagano has none of that.     Not even close.

3 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

Perhaps they will interview  New England's Nick Caserio?

images.jpg

That was his retake, you should've seen the original. Seriously though, you normally have to pay a dude at a carnival $1 to look behind a curtain to see something like that. Yikes.

Raye helped build those chargers teams that gave Peyton fits. anyone that can riddle peyton has my trust

Yes and no.

I mean obviously we struggled against them, but our struggles were really just that: ours. Those Chargers teams we struggled against still weren't that great in the overall scheme of things. They reached the conference championship once - by beating us.

Not saying he's not the right guy for the job, but I'm also not ready to say he can be the one to take us over the hump based on those teams.

5 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

That 'guy' was Tom Telesco. He came to the Colts in 1998 as an area scout when Manning was a rookie.  As the years passed, Telesco became a pro scout, then Director of Pro Scouting.  Finally promoted to Director of Player Personnel. When Irsay cleaned house, Telesco went to San Diego as their GM, and it still the GM of the Los Angeles Chargers.

Jimmy Raye III is the Colts Vice President of Football Operations.

Hmmm ...   1: Raye to GM.

2: Peyton takes his job (vp of football operations)

3.  Peytn succeeds him in 2 years.