Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Haeg got first team rels at RG over Clark?

CR91

If you read the ota news today, haeg was getting first team reps at guard. It could mean a few things

-they wanna groom Clark to be the future RT

-Clark is still learning how to play in a pro style offense

-means nothing at all

9 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

I wouldn't pay too much attention to it. I'm fully expecting Thornton to be our guy at RG and have a breakout year.

Not sure about break out yr.  but he should start there.   Watch for Harrison.  He is more physically gifted 

Clark came out of that Texas Tech spread. He knows nothing about run blocking. He has the tools but not the know-how yet.

Haeg is more pro-ready, although I don't see either of them beating out Thornton anytime soon.

8 hours ago, Coltfreak said:

Not sure about break out yr.  but he should start there.   Watch for Harrison.  He is more physically gifted 

When has he ever demonstrated that on the field? I hope he doesn't make it past early training camp/preseason...if he does it means our o-line is in big trouble and our 4 picks have failed to perform. He was the worst starting lineman we've had in memory and that includes Satele.  Harrison needs to go or we're looking at another weak year on the line, I am hoping for a significant upgrade over last year starting with never seeing Harrison play in another Colts game.

9 hours ago, CR91 said:

If you read the ota news today, haeg was getting first team reps at guard. It could mean a few things

-they wanna groom Clark to be the future RT

-Clark is still learning how to play in a pro style offense

-means nothing at all

It means Thornton and Good didn't practice.  The coaches are seeing where the new guys would fit.

I am really starting to believe that the RG competition is going to key off the results of the RT competition.  If Joe Reitz wins at RT, I think Good becomes the favorite at RG.  But if Good wins the RT position, then Haeg and Thornton will be the front-runners at RG.  The staff is really going to like the fact that Good showed a lot of promise in four starts at RT last year, and he got the job done when pressed into service (something that Thornton and Harrison haven't done the last two years).  And like Good last year, I don't think the jump will be too big for Haeg - just a reliable guy who does whatever is asked of him.

It's way too early to tell who will be starting but I love the competition we have now on the OL. We are all curious on how all this folds out. It's going to be interesting on who actually makes the roster. We will have a couple of these young guys make the PS of course. 

Haeg was indeed a good pickup.  I don't go back and analyze film like I used to.  ND State has as good a program as anyone.  This kid brings a level of vision and reaction time....as well as my favorite...mean streak....:)  

Thorton is injured so I think that's why they have the change at RG. But I think the O-line is an intense competition so they're seeing what's what. 

Someone might get cut. You have Haeg, Clark, Reitz, Good, Thorton, and Harrison all competing on the right side. 1 or two of them are going to have to go IMO. Harrison should go because he's just bad. A surprise cut could be Reitz or Good because they only need 1 backup RT since Clark is the future RT. Let's not forget Blythe can be a backup OC or OG too. 

50 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

A surprise cut could be Reitz or Good because they only need 1 backup RT since Clark is the future RT. Let's not forget Blythe can be a backup OC or OG too. 

Personally I would be stunned if Good is cut. Irsay and Grigson (maybe Pagano too) have spoken very highly of him. I think they see him as a starter on this line.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Thorton is injured so I think that's why they have the change at RG. But I think the O-line is an intense competition so they're seeing what's what. 

Someone might get cut. You have Haeg, Clark, Reitz, Good, Thorton, and Harrison all competing on the right side. 1 or two of them are going to have to go IMO. Harrison should go because he's just bad. A surprise cut could be Reitz or Good because they only need 1 backup RT since Clark is the future RT. Let's not forget Blythe can be a backup OC or OG too. 

I believe Good and Reitz are locks.  Pagano said last week that he would be totally fine with Reitz starting at RT.  I still wish he was with AC on the left.  I do like Mewhort however.

15 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

I wouldn't pay too much attention to it. I'm fully expecting Thornton to be our guy at RG and have a breakout year.

I am not, honestly I wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't make the final roster.  I think if he was going to have a breakout year he would have had it by now.  I think the fact the Colts drafted so many guys who can play guard also helps prove they are preparing to move on from Thornton.

13 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I am not, honestly I wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't make the final roster.  I think if he was going to have a breakout year he would have had it by now.  I think the fact the Colts drafted so many guys who can play guard also helps prove they are preparing to move on from Thornton.

I think we keep Thornton this year, as he's an  experienced starter.  But he can't stay healthy and doesn't play well hurt.  That'll keep him from being a long-term solution, even if he redeems himself somewhat this year.  But if Haeg, Harrison, Good, and Blythe all step it up in TC, Thornton could easily get the boot.

15 hours ago, Coltfreak said:

Why do you say that?

Clark played in a weird offense in college. He's got more technique to learn than Haeg does. Haeg just needs to add strength, and he'll be a decent blocker. That may take time for him to do, but the way he played the game in college is more similar to how it's played in the pros. 

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I don't see Reitz being a surprise cut. The Colts' front office and coaches see him as an experienced "Swiss army knife". He is an experienced lineman who can more than passably and readily fill in at four positions along the line.

Clark doesn't have a guard skill set. At all.

Haeg, to me, is a guy who can backup four positions, like Joe Reitz. I think he's more pro ready than Clark, even if he doesn't necessarily have the upside -- Clark has better feet, and of course more length; both need work in the weight room.

I think a line up of  

costonzo    Clark 

mewhort     Harrison

kelly.          Blythe 

thornton.    Haeg 

reitz.          Good

-Clark as the future rt

-heag or good as the future RG

-blythe as future Interior depth

-harrison I don't think will make the team but if he does, I think he'll be a guard 

-i also believe that this will be Thornton's last season regardless if he breaks out or not.

On May 24, 2016 at 8:08 PM, Coltfreak said:

Why do you say that?

Because Clark worked in a spread offense with very poor pro blocking style.    He's been described as a big project by most everyone and the "big" part has little to do with his enormous size.

And...   Haeg comes from the same program that produced Carson Wentz.     They may be a small division school but they run an advanced NFL style, more pro ready offense.

It's entirely possible that Clark doesn't play much at all this year.     I wouldn't even rule out that he plays ZERO this year.       Arizona did that with their 1st round draft pick in 2015.      OT DJ Humphrey from Florida didn't even dress for a single game.      He stood on the sideline and watched and that was very much by design.      We might do the exact same thing with Clark.

15 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I don't think Reitz or Good are going anywhere. In fact one will start at RT. I would be surprised if Harrison isn't around 1 more year at least to be our back up C. I'm not sure only having 2 rookies at the C position is the way we go. 

I guess we keep 10 or stash Blythe on the PS keep 9.  Castonzo Mewhort Kelly Thorton Reitz/Good start Harrison and Haeg are the primary back ups. Clark gets a red shirt year for the most part. 

I think Blythe can be a fine pro but he needs to get stronger. If he was a 3 position back up out of the shoot you think we get him in the 7th?  We cut the dead weight in Holmes. 

I believe with the quality of the O-line draft picks and the existing O-line roster, that any speculation on who starts before the pads come on might be premature. I do feel as though Chud and Joe Philbin have a seriously "good problem" although I gotta admit I felt Pep had a "good problem" last year. The on paper part just don't mean squat!

8 hours ago, akcolt said:

I don't think Reitz or Good are going anywhere. In fact one will start at RT. I would be surprised if Harrison isn't around 1 more year at least to be our back up C. I'm not sure only having 2 rookies at the C position is the way we go. 

I guess we keep 10 or stash Blythe on the PS keep 9.  Castonzo Mewhort Kelly Thorton Reitz/Good start Harrison and Haeg are the primary back ups. Clark gets a red shirt year for the most part. 

I think Blythe can be a fine pro but he needs to get stronger. If he was a 3 position back up out of the shoot you think we get him in the 7th?  We cut the dead weight in Holmes. 

We should be able to put Blythe on the PS. He really is a Center only with his size and super short arms.
 Regarding Haeg, with so little practice time, starting him out working at guard first makes since. But he sure does have tackle potential, so we can be sure he will get reps there too soon enough.
  I like this kid, and look forward to seeing him beefed and strengthened up. He is athletic and has some gnarly to him.
  Clark can be really good with those tentacles of his. In time. The kind of guy to be excited about! :thmup: